[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys tag Zappa's work with The Mothers of Invention
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (914 KB, 2000x1506) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
914 KB, 2000x1506
Do you guys tag Zappa's work with The Mothers of Invention under a separate tag or do you tag it all as Frank Zappa? Also general Zappa threas I guess
>>
This is a thread
>>
generally I let the artist decide their own name t b h
>>
you can tag things to show up under multiple artists you fucking mongoloid

assuming you're using musicbee like a true upstanding member of this board
>>
>>62960531
it's all Frank anyway, may as well slap it under that
>>
>>62960531
I retag ALL Zappa albums as Frank Zappa. The Mothers were simply his vehicle that amounted to a backing band.
>>
>>62960579
I installed a winamp plugin to try and make my musicbee play ac3 files today and now it skips
>>
>>62960574
Wtf do you know about artists
>>
>>62960596
I wouldn't give the mother's no credit, their albums have a certain jangly charm that got lost when he went solo in my opinion
>>
>>62960625
That's because they were replaced by better musicians.
>>
I use WMP, and sometmies I tag things and then suddenly things arent tagged anymore, they're back as they were before. the fuck?
>>
>>62960672
Pretty much. The original Mothers was a blues/rnb bar band that was given jazz and modern classical to play. Now I personally love The Mothers music more than a lot of Zappas other music, but he definitely got better musicians in time.
>>
>>62960809
Which is why it wasn't realy a band to begin with, but Frank Zappa (and whomever was backing him)
>>
File: 1456489367661.jpg (46 KB, 473x500) Image search: [Google]
1456489367661.jpg
46 KB, 473x500
>>62960615
>>
>>62960672
>>62960809
Yeah, better musicians don't always make better music in my opinion, compare the updated version of we're only in it for the money to the original. Sure the drums and bass parts might be played & produced better, but it really hurts the album.
>>
>>62960879
>but it really hurts the album.
Only because it's the shitty 80s drum and bass sound, juxtaposed on a 60s guitar and keyboard sound.
>>
>>62960921
I guess so, I generally find the post mothers zappa generally got worse and worse, it seemed like a caricature of the worst elements of prog without anything particularly interesting going on. I thought he made better music working with less talented musicians. I'm sure the bad 80s production has a bit to do with it.
>>
>>62961007
>it seemed like a caricature of the worst elements of prog without anything particularly interesting going on
That's because you weren't paying attention. There is at least one brilliant song on every one of his later albums. But you don't pay attention to anything other than Money or Hot rats because that's not what Scruffy or CLT told you to do.
>>
I tag it all as Frank Zappa.
But well I also tag every classical album by the composer's last name only. Tagging classical stuff is a pain in the ass. And who gives a shit.
>>
>>62960610
Reading this legitimately pissed me off. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>62960531
I tag them separately but I have a playlist for everything Zappa
>>
keep them tagged different but sort them together
>>
its all zappa bro
>>
Am I the only one that thinks he was handsome as fuck, despite the fact that he had the facial structure of a hawk?
>>
All Zappa to me, just a different time for him. This man created full orchestral pieces mind you.
>>
I mark it frankenstein w or wo bride. He has two brides by the way. The road, and the cellar.
>>
>>62960531

All the 60's mothers albums I tag as The Mothers of Invention because Frank Zappa might have wrote all the music but the rest of the band had their own personalities and brought their own humor. They also weren't afraid to take Zappa down a few pegs because they were older than him.

Hot Rats and everything after I just tag as Frank Zappa because he came into his own and got enough fame to have full creative control.
>>
File: give it a go.jpg (235 KB, 711x1000) Image search: [Google]
give it a go.jpg
235 KB, 711x1000
>>62960531
Tag Mothers under Mothers.
>>
>>62960596
You are supposed to tag it as what it was officially released under
>>
I tag Zappa's work under fecal matter.
>>
Music is shit

His just is
>>
>Frank Zappa
>Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention
>The Mothers of Invention

>iTunes
>>
>>62960531
I keep the Mothers under Mothers and Zappa under Zappa. Simple and easy
>>
File: 03_LumpyGravy.jpg (126 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
03_LumpyGravy.jpg
126 KB, 600x600
>>62967135
Now that we've got that settled

Post your favorite Zappa album. Pic related
>>
>>62967317
Oh fuck, this is the first time I ever got a good look at that cover. I always thought he was bending over so he could lean into the camera, not standing.
>>
>>62967376
I take it then you've probably never heard it?
I mean if you've only seen the cover in passing I guess
>>
>>62966662
Do people really do this for Zappa?

Seems like a bit of a mess if you go by what the original album label says, for example:

Original MoI albums = The Mothers of Invention
Lumpy Gravy = The Abnuceals Emuukha Electric Symphony Orch. and Chorus
Grand Wazoo = The Mothers
One Size Fits All = Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Roxy & Elsewhere = Zappa/Mothers
Bong Fury = Frank Zappa/Captain Beefheart/The Mothers

So you have a mix of The Mothers of Invention and just The Mothers and sometimes Zappa is mentioned separately and it's just weird that Grand Wazoo is a Mother album, but Waka/Jawaka is a Zappa album even though it's essentially the same people and released in the same year
>>
guise
One Size Fits All
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.