[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>someone in your band is more talented at your instrument
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: amadeussalieri.jpg (72 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
amadeussalieri.jpg
72 KB, 512x512
>someone in your band is more talented at your instrument than you

Is there a worse feeling in the world?
>>
quit the band to make it easier on yourself and them
>>
>buy expensive guitar
>bro comes over
>"hey can i have a go"
>he plays it better than you ever will and you feel embarrassed at forking out $$$ on a guitar you cant justify having
>>
>>62942240
>>62942277
this is good, this is motivation.
>>
Then fucking learn to play
>>
desu i can play my band's setlist just as good as they do, and i'm the fuckin drummer.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (38 KB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
38 KB, 356x200
>>
>>62942240
Can't say I've felt that feel
On the other hand,
>guy who's barely tolerable at his instrument wants you to incorporate his riff ideas in your songs
>they're generic and shitty so either you hurt his feelings or you make bad music on purpose
>>
Don't be a Salieri.
>>
File: skate birdos.jpg (145 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
skate birdos.jpg
145 KB, 960x720
>>62942240
why don't you play some other instrument then?
>>
>>62942429
>was a prominent musician
>second best-known composer in the world because of that legend
>actually didn't kill anyone, was a great man
>was a teacher of Schubert
not bad
>>
>>62942407
it's much easier to notice a riff is shitty than to write a better one
>>
>>62942240
stfu ringo
>>
>>62942546
But mine were objectively better
>>
It has is bad points when you're the most talented in the band.

>writing riffs, drum parts, lyrics etc
>sometimes you don't have any inspiration
>the rest of the band can't do shit
>stagnate
>>
File: 1435185610653.jpg (24 KB, 353x427) Image search: [Google]
1435185610653.jpg
24 KB, 353x427
>>62942240

>someone in your band is less talented at your instrument than you
>band decides to kick you out and keep him because he's "more fun to be around"
>>
>>62942535
i'm talking about film Salieri not the real Salieri
>>
>>62942726

Oh wow, that sucks.
>>
>>62942726
you sound like someone who is no fun to have in a band
>>
>>62942726
Solo career is best career
>>
> Everyone in your band is talented as hell
> Except your vocalist, who is shit
> vocalist is arrogant as shit too, and dont want to play anything else than shitty generic metal
> cant kick vocalist out of the band because the vocalist's familiy have done so much for the band that it would be a huge dick move to kick her out
>>
>>62943518
just get her to do scream vocals instead
then no one can tell that she's bad
>>
>>62942389
This is the case for most drummers I know. You played other stuff first didn't you?
>>
>>62942240
being better than everyone else in your band is far worse
you need some sort of motivation or you get cocky and stagnate
>>
>>62943518
Write songs that incorporate your own vocals and other band member vocals then
>>
>>62942240
>>someone in your band is more talented at your instrument than you
Purely subjective.

Cobain was shit at guitar remember. He even boasts about that.

I've played with terrible drummers(can't keep any beat up) and still loved it.
>>
>>62943518
Well known bands with female vocalists aren't well known for their talent, so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>62942290
not if it makes the band fall apart.

It's actually better to start small, encourage it, build it a little more, encourage it, repeat.

That process has worked better for me as a musician. Telling them they suck only ruins their confidence and more importantly their creativity.
>>
>>62943679
The thing about being a shit player though is it has to work within the context of what the band is doing. If a guitarist can only play shitty pentatonic riffs, they aren't gonna be super beneficial to the sound. Cobain wasn't good, but his parts sounded so distinctly fucked up that they worked for Nirvana's noisiness
>>
>>62942407
'Alice in Chains' singer Layne Staley was shit at guitar, yet some of his tracks beat guitarist Cantrell's on 'Dirt' like 'Hate to Feel'

The amateurishness can sometimes be a plus.

That being said, it's rarely that good.
>>
>>62943694
>Well known bands with female vocalists aren't well known for their talent

Unless the vocalist is a soulful black singer
>>
>>62942726
>because he's "more fun to be around"
This is the worst part of bands. How can hanging around people into self loathing music be 'fun'? They're all miserable.
>>
>>62943742
Yeah but layne had an amazing voice it's not like he only played guitar
>>
>>62943757
Because some people just want to have fun making music?
>>
>>62942240
No, I've always been the best on my instrument.
>>
I love that movie
>>
>>62943847
And the context that op used the image
>>
>>62943635
not really,i mean i technically got my start with the guitar hero guitar. wrote my first songs with that.
i only started getting good with guitar and bass when i started moving around. hard to get a drum kit moved across the country working what was basically under minimum wage. also hard to find a place to live. had lots of time to play the shit out of that guitar tho
>>
>>62943962
Was mozart an aspie, or was it just the director putting his own spin on the character?
>>
>>62942599
kek'd
>>
>>62943749
Well if she was a soulful black singer, the problem probably wouldn't be if she was actually god or not.
>>
>>62944761
you wrote songs with the guitar hero guitar???
>>
>>62947032
yeah i only go in to in when world tour came out and it had a shitty "song maker" that gave you a 4 track midi thing. it all sounded like shit but w/e
>>
Then thou shallt hatch aweb therenigh. Where lie the err now yet? If the one the cleverer, tis afixt arite in sted. We shall gather here again, n then we shall enmesh us in head with this longjohnone. He will pipe our tune! ! !
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.