[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good modern music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
I've spent the past few years trying to convince myself that today's music sucks. That's fucking stupid so I need /mu/'s help to become informed. Give me the best modern musicians /mu/.
>>
>>62926535
Genre?
>>
>>62926535

that Glenn Miller guy leads a pretty good band
>>
>>62926651
Anything you think is good genre doesn't matter
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 257x196) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 257x196
>>62926660
>>
>>62926535
Black Moth Super Rainbow is a relatively modern band and they are my favorite thing I've listened to of the last few years. Check this out it was the first song I heard by them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4CazYAWgHw
>>
>>62926767
Alright I'll give it a listen.
>>
>>62926801
let me know what you think I'm genuinely curious.
>>
Kanye
>>
Deafheaven - Brought to the water
>>
>>62926681
Try Order of The White Hand, Windhand and Sun O)))
>>
>>62926535
Cage the Elephant, Queens of The Stone Age, Gorillaz , The Heavy, AnCo, Radiohead
>>
>>62926535
Well what do you look for in music. Tough to recommend good things when we don't know what you like
>>
>>62926863
I don't think its bad but their choice of instruments is definitely strange. Is that a banjo?
>>
>>62926911
too many people on /mu/ hate this album
>>
>>62926911
I usually prefer rock but I enjoy most genres blues, jazz, even some country.
>>
>>62926944
Yeah they mix folksy instruments with electro occasionally. Other times they usually just go straight pop with funk influences. I think it really works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j91F4fBuwzA
>>
>>62926535
There was a lot of great music from last year alone.
>>
>>62926911
I can't really get into this, thanks for trying.
>>
>>62927144
I've heard good things about Joanna Newsom, are they true?
>>
>>62926987
See>>62926908
>>
>>62927322
I like some of cage the elephants stuff haven't heard much of the rest.
>>
>>62926987
Try Channel Orange by Frank Ocean, most people like it and it's not genre bound
>>
Young Fathers are the Massive Attack of the 2010s
>>
File: 9bc38e6c.jpg (256 KB, 624x636) Image search: [Google]
9bc38e6c.jpg
256 KB, 624x636
>>62926987
Well, you could try entry-level stuff like Kurt Vile, Courtney Barnett, The Dear Hunter, Eagles of Death Metal, Anathema, Ty Segall, Riverside, Cloud Nothing, Deerhunter and The War on Drugs. I'm not the greatest resource when it comes to modern rock though. IMO the gems of the decade are electronic music through and through.
>>
>>62926535
Car Seat Headrest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFlykhpRfU4
>>
File: 91r5cRb6ntL._SL1440_.jpg (621 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
91r5cRb6ntL._SL1440_.jpg
621 KB, 1440x1440
>>62926535
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMu2QM0vqMA
>>
>>62927322
Listen to Kid A, MPP, Demon Days, Melophobia and Like Clockwork for some amazing albums made in the past ~10 years
>>
>>62927557
Wow i haven't heard of most of this
>>
>>62928143
Wrong reply
>>62927380
>>
Alright thanks for all your suggestions I'm going to go and listen to some of it and see if I like it. OP out
>>
One of my favourites from last year, pretty catchy indie rock with some crunch to it and some pretty insightful lyrics.

inb4 /mu/ calls me pleb
>>
>>62926535
Glad you came to your senses, OP. Anyone who actually believes today's music sucks ass is a retarded pleb faggot. In the age of the internet, it is much easier to expand your horizons. My favorites from the past ten years:

Nujabes- Lovely Vibes
Ty Segall - Fuz
Alt-J- This is all Yours
Oneohtrix Point Never- Returnal
S U R F I N G- Deep Fantasy
Forest Swords- Engravings
Mac Demarco- 2
Colleen- Captain of None
Wild Nothing- Nocturne
Youth Lagoon- Wondrous Bughouse
Arca- Mutant
Com Truise- In Decay
Electric Moon- Inferno
Trust- TRST
D'angelo & the Vanguard- BLACK MESSIAH
>>
>>62927144
>arca over opn
why
>>
>>62926535
what do you mean by 'modern'? give a date range
also try animal collective
>>
>>62926908
Cage the Elephant's latest album was a disappointing pop record
>>
what are you into opie
melt-banana is my favorite currently active band
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 311x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 311x319
>>62926535
It was released within the last ten years so yeah
>>
>>62928513
Sure but Melophobia and s/t are GOAT
>>
>>62926908
This.
Perfect entry level I used to this modern music is shit-core
>>
>>62928646
honestly I thought TYHB was their best by far, but that's probably due to some noise rock factors i was really fond of
>>
If you want rocking rock music

>Future of the Left - How to Stop Your Brain in an Accident
>Metz - S/T
>Deftones - Diamond Eyes
>Baroness - Blue Record
>BATS - The Sleep of Reason

If you want rap music to listen to whilst you wear a big backpack and a big pair of headphones that isn't classic 90s shit

>Busdriver - Perfect Hair
>Aesop Rock - Skelethon
>Ratking - So It Goes
>Doomtree - All Hands
>ILLFIGHTYOU - S/T

If you want music that that qt you fancy might like

>Jens Lekman - I Know What Love Isn't
>Anderson .Paak - Venice
>Mew +-
>Baths - Cerulean
>Los Campesinos! - No Blues
>>
>>62928374
Holy shit, what a pleb. Or am I being trolled?
>>
I've been liking Jason Aldean's recent work. Give Old Boots New Dirt a listen.
>>
This seems like the most relevant thread without me making a new one.
Has anybody here seen GY!BE live? Do they put on a good show? They're in my city next week, was thinking about checking them out.
>>
>>62929161
I've seen them live but it was like the second or third reunion show they played so it was over five years go. It was really good though, they played for two hours, they had a projector showing film clips.

Only negatives was they played all of Sleep except for the end and I made the mistake of buying an album before their set so I had to hold a 12 inch record for two hours,
>>
>>62928915
>Anderson .Paak
What did you think of Malibu?
>>
>>62929372
I've downloaded it but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Interested in hearing it because it seems like that guy is on the verge of being a megastar.
>>
>>62928731
Yeah it also much better than TMIP, a shame really
>>
Sigur Rós
>>
>>62928971
No you're just a piece of shit.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.