[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joanna Newsom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: 50cb22df.gif (98 KB, 525x321) Image search: [Google]
50cb22df.gif
98 KB, 525x321
Imagine if this girl was even half as talented as Regina Spektor or Fiona Apple! Wouldn't that be cool? Well, at least she's not as much of a disappointment as Annie Clark.
>>
>>62924726
this bitch hardly trip-hops
>>
>>62924726
> Joanna isn't talented meme
Kys
>>
>>62924726
>Well, at least she's not as much of a disappointment as Annie Clark.
Ha ha ha ha. Annie Clark is more talented than any of these musicians mentioned.

Regina Spektor, Fiona Apple and Joanna Newsom all have whiny precious / annoying voices and their songwriting consists of boring ditties that put everyone to sleep.

On the other hand, St. Vincent is a vital, energetic, inventive, eclectic songwriter, posessing a very pleasant voice. Her guitar playing skill is unmatched by any other female artist. Annie's music has more range than all those artists combined.
>>
>>62925254
(You)
>>
>>62925254
Fiona Apple has one of the most powerful voices in circulation
>>
>>62925254
Enough with these pleb memes
>>
>>62925295
Kinda annoying tho
>>
>>62925336
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o37vgJLb5r8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FeBRGJ3Lxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG1VVFfOnYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIlLq4BqGdg

'no'
>>
>>62925376
She sounds more acceptable during the verses. I prefer Vinnie more.
>>
>>62925437
If you weren't memeing on that initial post, then you're one of the biggest plebs I've seen on /mu/ and I like St. Vincent.
>>
>>62925437
that's cool, but Fiona Apple is one of those quietly understood greats of modern music
>>
File: 1446954702072.jpg (33 KB, 621x478) Image search: [Google]
1446954702072.jpg
33 KB, 621x478
>>62924726
>hanging with some people I don't know last night
>there was a girl that was a crossover between joanna newsom and cate blanchet with a gap in the upper front teeth
>mfw
>>
>>62925478
>>62925490
Just saying: not liking Fiona Apple =/= pleb. St. Vincent is so much better than her in every way.
>>
>>62925575
that's just inflammatory
>>
>>62925575
In 20 years St. Vincent will definitely not be seen as having been on the same level as Newsom or Fionna Apple. I guarantee that.
>>
File: 1.jpg (2 MB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2 MB, 1365x2048
>>62925759
You guarantee without any solid evidence. Just look how much acclaimed are all her albums and how bigger is her fanbase with each album released. She's on the rise.
>>
File: 2.jpg (1 MB, 1366x2048) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
1 MB, 1366x2048
>>62925677
It's kinda inflammatory, but it's just an opinion
>>
>>62925882
>>62925926
>numbered pictures of a female artist
Not only are you surely an autistic loser who can't evaluate Fiona or Newsom's music, but Dorito chin is one of the ugliest solo artists that you could worship.
>>
>>62925926
what's your favorite st. vincent? Imma check it out if i haven't already
>>
>>62926006
>numbered pictures of a female artist
I didn't like that Flickr long number.

>Not only are you surely an autistic loser who can't evaluate Fiona or Newsom's music, but Dorito chin is one of the ugliest solo artists that you could worship.
You must be a whimpy loser that listen to that whiny crap churned by Newsom or Apple. That is music for real autistic losers like you.

Because you don't have any good arguments against St. Vincent's music, you started ad hominem attacks like a moron.
>>
File: 3.jpg (2 MB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
2 MB, 1365x2048
>>62926025
I love all her albums to be honest. The ones that I listened the most are Actor and St. Vincent.
>>
>>62925254
I think Annie needs a break, IMO; her self-titled album makes me think her creative sponge has been wrung a little too much. Her older stuff was top-tier, doe

Newsom and Spektor are great; I think Newsome is a more talented performer but Spektor gets points for songwriting. Fiona's a little too conventional for my taste.

Like, stop shitting the board up with memely-veiled opinions and just say what you mean.
>>
>>62926195
here's a better female guitarist for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsH6I4B6NJs
>>
>>62926195
I never said that Vincent's music was bad (I said that I liked it), compared to your ignorant statement about Newsom and Apple churning out "whiny crap".

I'm not even going to bother explaining to someone who can't understand the artistic merit behind either Newsom or Fiona's music, I don't care if you dislike it but don't go around calling it shitty whiny crap when you listen to indie pop from one of the most frail-looking artists in existence.

Oh, you should also go listen to Joni Mitchell or Marnie Stern if you can't think of any other female artists who are more talented players on a technical level.
>>
>>62924726

>Fiona Apple
>talented

KEK
>>
>>62926341
She's not. Stern is the equivalent of Yngwie Malmsteen: all style and no substance. Just guitar wankery.
>>
>>62926341
Btw that song is annoying af. I'd rather listen to Bieber...
>>
File: 4.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1365
>>62926456
>but don't go around calling it shitty whiny crap when you listen to indie pop from one of the most frail-looking artists in existence.
That proves how shallow your thinking is. She may look frail but she's strong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgfqFafck

And yes, Apple & Newsom's music is whiny crap. I didn't talk about their appearance. They are never capable of making stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX7WEzJuUiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxF0KhBR84
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gD-jD5f84w
>>
>>62927312
Pretty sure St. Vincent's fragile indie bones would shatter from the mere vibrations of the sentence "We don't have free wi-fi here", much less from an actual non-ironic fist coming into contact with her deathly ironic skeletal structure.
>>
File: 5.jpg (1 MB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
1 MB, 1365x2048
>>62927438
Old bad meme. Next.
>>
>>62927085

>Marnie Stern is like Yngwie Malmsteen
how was that remotely wank-y? because the guitar was fast?
>>
>>62927633
Not on that song but others of her that I've heard before. Her voice is the most annoying thing about her though. She's competent at playing guitar but it doesn't inspire me at all. I'm not claiming that as a fact, but as a mere opinion.
>>
>>62924726
Did you listen to any of her albums besides Ys?
>>
which girl has the highest talent:physical attractiveness ratio
>>
>>62928069
Annie Clark
>>
>>62928069
Newsom easily

I'm a big Annie fan, but Newsom is extremely talented and just because people don't like her voice doesn't mean she's bad. She's good as fuck forreal and gorgeous.
>>
>>62928119
I struggle to see what's so special about Joanna Newsom. It's just normal sounding music, done before many times.
>>
>>62927312
did she drum on Krokodil, because the drumming carried that song p hard for the last bit
>>
Joanna is way more talented than Fiona and Regina. They look like complete amateurs compared to her.

But you already knew this. Good b8 thread.
>>
>>62928162
Actually her arrangements are pretty complex and she utilizes a variety of instruments in her music. The lyrics are also very poetic and she has very good descriptions.

I don't really understand what you mean by "normal sounding music".
>>
>>62928198
pieces like Valentine prove that Apple is compostionally on par with Newsom
>>
>>62928247
I mean music that sounds normal, without any real quirks or experiments.
>>
>>62928322
I guess all I can say is that you're missing something when you listen to her or maybe you haven't given her a proper listen. Her first album is pretty orthodox and sticks to folk pretty hard, but Ys and on are more interesting.
>>
>>62928162
>just normal sounding music
Play any normie a song from Ys and count the amount of WTFs
>>
>>62925882
>>62925926
>>62926247
wow what a rock star! Only good artist itt is newom cause at least she doesn't stoop to shitty pop and pretend its the best thing ever
>>
>>62928247
Other people are responsible for "her" arrangements. All she does is write the basic song, pluck her harp and warble like a bird in heat. The musicians do the real heavy lifting. Her parts are literally grafted on in post.
>>
File: 6.jpg (1 MB, 1366x2048) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
1 MB, 1366x2048
>>62928749
I think you have a problem with pop music. You're afraid of catchy music. The primary genre of St. Vincent is indie rock FYI. Also FYI almost all the great songs in the history of music are also pop songs at heart. Think of any famous song you want. They have a memorable chorus and a memorable melody.

Your Newsom is the opposite of that. She makes disposable, obtuse, backward thinking music that no one will remember 10 years from now. She's way too pretentious for her old sounding music (it could be made centuries ago). Music for hipsters, no less.
>>
>>62929100
>You're afraid of catchy music
bitch YOU DONT KNOW WHO THE FUCK I AM
>almost all the great songs in the history of music are also pop songs at heart
>implying this isnt your history
I think the problem is you listen to much pop, open your horizons more.

your second sentence should have included all of the artists, because they will all be forgotten in that time span unless theyre still alive. but even this is pointless as long as you enjoy them. some of the best music out there is just people with some sticks, stones, and voices and its never heard anywhere else
>>
>>62929494
second paragraph*
>>
>>62929494
Bitch, I know who you are: an idiot. Let's end this useless conversation.
>>
>>62929714
and end this thread
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.