[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
POSEURCORE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: 1458225960483.jpg (891 KB, 1597x1430) Image search: [Google]
1458225960483.jpg
891 KB, 1597x1430
Thoughts on this Poseurcore chart? Anything you'd add? Anything you'd remove?

>But anon what is Poseurcore?

- people who listen to music they think is "deep and esoteric". Their favorite artists are Merzbow, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Moondog, and Throbbing Gristle. They get most of their music from the upper level of RYM, but not the top so that they can retain hipsterdom. These drones usually post in /daily/, /RYM/, /noise/ and chart threads.
>>
LATEST POSEURCORE LIST
DISREGARD ANYONE NAMEDROPPING THESE ARTISTS

>Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Unwound, Dead ,Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282. Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Boyd Rice, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Half Japanese,Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krusi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Loren Mazzacane Connors, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue. The Red Krayola, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Gong, cLOUDDEAD, Muslimgauze
>>
File: you're living all over me.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
you're living all over me.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
post ya'lls favorite albums and your Myers Briggs Personality type
>INTJ
>>
>>63392077
fuck ur gay thread
>>
>>63392012
>>63391998
I bet you kiss girls fag
>>
>But Anon, what are the poseurs posing as?

Intelligent. Their music is copied from Wire, the 3rd or 4th page of RYM categories (to maintain the mask of obscurity while not posting something that will not get them replies), and /daily/. This is why they all love the same shit - Comus, Coil, etc.

They also claim to love experimentation, yet they could not tell you what made Coltrane's Ascension special or what separated Coil from the rest of the Industrial scene at the time. Nor could they tell you why Joe Meek is a groundbreaking producer or why Noise music is interesting beyond MUH TEXTURES AND ATMOSPHERE.
>>
>still pushing this third wave-mallgoth meme
The time you called Mike Patton a spork was way better
>>
Who is supposed to be pissed off by this?
>>
I listened to Comus and Death In June

AMA
>>
this is now /jazz/

discuss jazz
>>
Is there a single person who enjoys this forced meme apart from the guy posting?
>>
File: image.png (351 KB, 450x549) Image search: [Google]
image.png
351 KB, 450x549
You have been visited by the Heathcliff of Dadaist Perfection! Eclectic taste and an understanding of the avant-garde will come to you, but only if you respond with "he's bad news" to this post.
>>
Poseurs are ex-Fantano/Scaruffi drones who moved onto the next thing to drone without gaining any knowledge or education on how to approach that thing or why it is significant in the first place.

This is blatant in /daily/, where every attempt they make at reviewing the things they're listening to reads like a third-rate Fantano impression typed out by an underage highschooler.
>>
>>63391998
>he doesn't understand the gerogerigegege
get taste
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lG9gm4a9rk
>>
>>63392020
>>63392079
>>63392107
>>63392192
>>63392199
>>63392206
Look at all these triggered poseurs. At least you /daily/ shitters were smart enough to drop your trips before posting here.
>>
>>63392208
hahahahahahaha "reviews"
you know where you are boy?
>>
Disregard stale meme.
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S55590635
>>
>>63392225
what

I just want to talk about jazz

what's a jazz album you've listened to lately that you consider to be a new favorite?

I'd have to go with Pete la Roca's Basra

great shit
>>
>>63392256
Why is it great shit, poseur? Why? What makes it great?
>>
File: 8954.jpg (35 KB, 640x563) Image search: [Google]
8954.jpg
35 KB, 640x563
>tfw finally deleted all the poseurcore albums off my computer

Who /clean/ here?
>>
>>63392262
Not him but the percussion (obviously motivated by a drummer band leader) is utterly on point and keeps the band swinging, and many of the soli were melodically and harmonically interesting, yet always maintained cohesion to the original tonality, something that even many seasoned jazz musicians struggle with. Definitely one of the better takes on hard bop
>>
>>63392264
Good man. You know it had to be done.
>>
>>63392306
See what I'm saying about the Fantano impressions? This dude has no fucking idea about jazz or how it works, he just shat out a bunch of words he's seen used in the context of jazz discussion in the hopes that they will stick.
>>
>>63391998
hey man, how the job market for music majors?
>>
>>63392332
please, enlighten us
>>
>>63392262
this >>63392306 pretty much said a lot of what I wanted to say

I'd also like to mention how every single track is solid as fuck and not only is La Roca wonderful on the album but everyone else does a great job
>>
>>63392206
he's bad news
>>
>>63391998
>i don't like it and it's 2deep4me. Although i only had listened to it twice and didn't tried to comprehend shit but i'm just gonna turn up and laugh at these fags in internet

It always takes time and maybe some music just isnt for you. nice way to feel superior over the internet in /mu/ where most people dont even care about any music
>>
>>63392264
Me
>>
>>63392364
>enlighten us

I'm already doing that by making this thread, which is meant to expose you to the errors of your posing ways.
Repent and discard your dilettante ways. There is still hope for you.
>>
>>63392383

Wow what cop out.
>>
>>63392369
Goddamn mate, you make the other guy sound like a seasoned jazz critic by comparison. Shameful, just shameful.
>>
>>63392206
he's bad news
>>
>>63392398
yeah I know

can't say much cause I'm in the middle of a Skype call
>>
I want this fag pushing this meme to stop, and to stop now
>>
>>63392375
The Poseurcore movement does not revolve around the ridicule of people who genuinely appreciate experimental art and explore it on their own(no such people exist on a board like /mu/ anyway, where it's all about spoonfeeding, droning and keeping up with the clique), it revolves around the ridicule of uneducated, self-satisfied dilettantism. We will not have you distort our cause.
>>
>>63391998
Can't say that this is great bait but you are admirably devoted to this poseur stuff. Never get anyone on your side and yet every time you post you manage to get so many replies. If that's what you wanted then well done. Must be interesting life you lead man, to be so desperate for attention on an anonymous edgemeister board.

For everyone else, remember that you do have a hide function on threads.
>>
>>63392172
well the peuseurs clearly...
>>
>>63392439
We believe that what we are performing with these threads is a public service. The people behind the movement are not at all relevant; the message of the movement is.

>you are admirably devoted to this poseur stuff

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it. For music's sake!
>>
>>63392189
when will you fucking drop trip and kill yourself
>>
>>63392332
>>63392208
>>63392383
>>63392424
You're doing God's work here anon, thank you for fighting the daily poseurs that don't know shit about their music but think they do by reviewing everything with the same words
>>
The anti-poseurcore movement is what /mu/ needs. I think music should be seen on one field. We need less elitism not more.

Why? It creates discussion.

There is no such thing as entry-level and such, only good and bad albums that are subjective. People need to stop acting like /mu/core and well known and well liked indie albums are somehow bad because a lot of people like and respect them. That shows insecurity with your own taste.

That being said, go exploring, go like whatever music you want to like, but don't rub it in the face of others that you have different taste. Talk about it with them, say "hey I found this cool album if you like _______ you should check it out".
>>
>>63392256
>>63392306
I would also like to point out that the first response to my question here was by another guy who's listened to the same album as part of his /daily/ circlejerk.
Poseurs treat music the way they do quests in videogames. It's not about engaging with the music, it's about engaging with the cirlejerk while using the music as a tool to do that.
If you can't cross it off your /daily/ collage, it doesn't matter. If you can't show your /daily/ and /RYM/ circlejerking buddies that you've heard it, it doesn't matter. It is a truly toxic mentality and it must be wiped out. For music's sake!
>>
>>
>>63392467

>imaginary people

Ok then.
>>
>>63392544
As hard as you may try to deny the existence of poseurs, all it takes to realize that the poseurcore movement is speaking the truth is paying attention to the right places.
/mu/tants have eyes of their own, they don't need us to convince them.
>>
>>63392581

Nobody cares, well, I guess you do. People like what they like, I don't understand what the fuss is about.
>>
>>63392634
>Nobody cares

And yet the activities of the poseurcore movement always inspire a considerable amount of irritated and anxious posts insisting that the movement has no feet to stand on, that no poseurs exist and that the people behind the movement are just a bunch of pop-music loving idiots angry about being spurned by /mu/'s elite /daily/ and /RYM/ overlords and their great tastes.

You say that nobody cares, but the general reaction to poseurcore speaks for itself.
>>
>>63392702

...ok friend.
>>
>>63392206
he's bad news
>>
>>63392501
Thank you! It's the support of people like you that keeps us going!
>>
>>63392702
did anyone read all of this?
>>
M O N T I E
O
N
T
I
E

S U C K S
U
C
K
S

N I G G A
I
G
G
A
>>
>>63392332
Except I don't watch Fantano
I'm a professional jazz bassist

Read Downbeat and see how they describe albums, and you'll realize how difficult it is to quantify why a jazz album is good without taking it apart note from note and analyzing each part

Without that technical exploration, it's incredibly difficult to quantify why an album is really good without using arbitrary adjectives

>>63392369
For sure
What other hard bop do you enjoy?

>>63392527
Who taught you rhetoric and why was it a chimpanzee with Down's Syndrome
>>
if we get rid of /daily/ and /rym/

The poseurs will leave and /mu/ will be /mu/ again
>>
>>63392774
Montie lookin nigga
>>
>>63392807
literal containment threads
jump from a high place
>>
What about people who claim to listen to the "deep" stuff but in reality just listen to thinly veiled """"indie"""" pop music? Are they to be hated as "poseurs" or are they okay?
>>
>>63392780
You're not fooling anyone, Greg.

>>63392807
The people really don't understand how much of a role the poseurs have played in this board's slow downfall.
>>
What's even left on /mu/ after /daily/ and /RYM/ are gone? Kpop threads? Metal general?

The non-general threads are fucking garbage and the good generals die after 50 posts
>>
>>63392819
>literal containment threads
even poseurs don't deserve those

Fucking leave already
>>
>>63392844
>Greg
What

And poseurs are far less of a problem than ironic shitposters and boogeyman threads like this
>>
>>63392868
no u
>>
File: macarthy.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
macarthy.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
McCarthy would be proud
>>
>>63392902
Oh I love Paul Mccartney too!
>>
>>63392902
*Arthur Miller weeps in the distance*
>>
>>63392877
>boogeyman

It's not a boogeyman if it's real, and poseurs are very much a real and tangible damaging factor on /mu/.
>>
>>63392902
Underrated politician for sure.
>>
>>63392923
so was the communist threat
>>
>>63392923
>damaging
When was /daily/ ever damaging?
Really, honestly?
And what do you see as being he step after you eliminate poseurs? What is your dream /mu/?

What's the next step in your master plan?

These threads are more damaging than those
>>
Can I see The Anti-Poseur League Manifesto please?
>>
>>63393005
No fuck off
>>
>>63392979
>When was /daily/ ever damaging?
They made listening to music a pitful competition between beta males instead of something just for fun. If we get rid of the poseurs. /mu/ will be a fun place to come once again.

- The Anti-Poseur League
>>
File: 1454699217668.png (11 KB, 307x462) Image search: [Google]
1454699217668.png
11 KB, 307x462
>>63392807
I thought /daily/ was just a place to get download links. I've only used it for a quick link to the archive
>>
File: king neckbeard.jpg (30 KB, 948x1185) Image search: [Google]
king neckbeard.jpg
30 KB, 948x1185
>>63392923
bet you listen to Wagner fag
>>
>>63393020
>cutting through a backlog of music you're interested in and discussing it is a competition
Were you raised in the safe PC American school system or something?
Also, /mu/ was never fun what the fuck
>>
>>63393020
>implying a competition can't be fun
>>
>>63393020
>sharing music you've listened to is taking music more seriously than spending your time spamming anti-'experimental' music threads
>>
Why is Karma by Pharoah Sanders poser core? I guess I see the reason for the rest but damn, I love that album.
>>
File: bad news.gif (31 KB, 315x366) Image search: [Google]
bad news.gif
31 KB, 315x366
>>63391998
>still no Musical Abortions
I'm starting to think you might be a poseur.

>>63393046
>>>/daily/

>>63392206
He's bad news.
>>
Are these threads all made by the same person?
>>
>>63393123
POSEUR CONFIRMED REPENT SINNER
>>
>>63392979
>When was /daily/ ever damaging?

/daily/ is one of the main sources of antagonism on this board, both indirectly as they fuel the idea of the "elite" experimental music(which, as has been stated many times before, they don't actually understand or have any of the theoretical or historical knowledge to properly appreciate on anything more than a banal surface level) and the "lowly" pop/rock/hip-hop audiences(just see how many times we anti-poseur activists get accused of being hip-hop or pop music fans too simple-minded and unintelligent to understand the genius of the music that the /daily/ elite enjoy, as if there was anything wrong with liking hip-hop or pop), and directly as when they drop their trips and go on shitposting rampages throughout the board, insulting anyone whose taste does not align with the (highly manufactured and labored over) tastes of their clique.

/daily/ is a blight on this board.

>What is your dream /mu/?

We have a dream of a /mu/ where an album is judged by its merit, not by the amount of social capital that comes with claiming to appreciate it.
Join us, friend. Together we can make /mu/, and the world, a better place.
>>
>>63393179
Can you explain experimental music for us all then?
>>
>>63393278
Why would I need to do that? Writing about music is like dancing about architecture, as the saying goes.
>>
>>63393303
>writing about music is like dancing about architecture

Sure, for autists who can't articulate, maybe.
>>
>>63392208
people in /daily/ do synopses, not reviews though :^)
>>
>>63393303
It's odd that you can never put into words why you're the only one who understands experimental music. I'm interested in this movement but I'm not sure I want peers such as yourself.
>>
>>63393368

It appears that this movement is very focused on not providing any constructive answers or criticism. At least in this thread.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 500x283
We need to out all poseurs

CALL FORTH THE POSEURS
>>
>89/33
wow no surprise there's an extreme amount of autism in this thread
>>
>>63393405
Please fucking die Montie
>>
>>63393179
i started off thinking you were a massive bellend just looking at the chart, but when i realised what you're actually saying you actually make an incredibly good point that a lot of people in this thread seem to be missing.

hes not having a go if you genuinely enjoy karma by pharoah saunders, its the motives behind talking about those albums. it seems bizarre to me that people with such 'advanced' tastes they just regurgitate the same shallow observations about the safe '/mu/ approved' experimental albums. it seems very false to me at any rate.

the poseurs are real imo.
>>
>>63393543
on the other hand, it might just be people are terrible at articulating themselves, regardless of whether they enjoy jazz or pop. love of music comes very intuitively and you're on a website full of spergs, remember
>>
>>63392807
Do you *really* want us to not have a containment thread?

I mean really. We could pose it up 'round these parts, if you'd prefer. :0
>>
>>63392844
>this board's slow downfall.
Wait this board was ever anywhere other than rock bottom? Huh. Must have been in ancient times...
>>
>>63392501
> don't know shit about their music

Well, what you know about music, Mr. critic ?
>>
>>63393020
are u stupid
theyre exactly doing it for fun
>>
>>63393155
yup, and probably a third of the posts too
>>
>>63392256
>>63392306

continuation of circlejerk from >>63383755

why would you want to discuss th same album in 2 threads? seems pretty poseur to me...

>inb4 accusing me of being OP, im not.
>>
>>63393640
>inb4 accusing me of being OP, im not.
this gave you away, soz m8
>>
>>63393600
You should stop posting in /daily/ and fuck off back to Plebbit. You're a bad poster and you bring nothing to the conversation.
>>
So, as i understand, one hipsters trying to beat other hipsters ?
>>
A lot of /daily/ hate ITT

King Crimson's Discipline is a 3.5/10 at best
As is the case with most 80s music
>>
>>63393678
>You should stop posting in /daily/ and fuck off back to Plebbit
Never been.

>You're a bad poster and you bring nothing to the conversation.
I mean my whole thing is absurdist funposting. I'm kafkaesque. If that offends you, then you need to get better taste in postmodernist shitposting.
>>
>>63393597
but why do the discussions of (for want of a better term) 'experimental' music never go beyond whats already /mu/ approved? its almost as if no research independent of /mu/ has been done by these people which you would have thought would encourage a much bigger variety of albums being discussed if there was genuine passion fueling these 'discussions'
>>
>>63393710
Are we going to bring our music discussions into poseurcore threads now? That would be totally post-avant.

>As is the case with most 80s music
What is 1980s japanese city pop.
>>
>>63393675
literally not OP i just think hes right t b h f a m
>>
guys it's just convergence of taste, which is inherent to a community. Most of /mu/ converges to /mu/-core and /daily/ converges to /daily/-core, who tf cares, it's literally a containment thread, you really don't have to click on it.
>>
>>63393719
>I mean my whole thing is absurdist funposting. I'm kafkaesque. If that offends you, then you need to get better taste in postmodernist shitposting.

This is what I'm talking about. Shitposting idiots like you are the reason people are forcing this dumb poseurcore shit in the first place.
Stop posting in /daily/.
>>
>>63393744
>What is 1980s japanese city pop.
Probably terrible
>>
>>63393747
All the daily funposters are getting in here!

The containment has spilled, no going back now!
>>
>>63393759
>Stop posting in /daily/.
Make me.
>>
>>63393730
>never go beyond whats already /mu/ approved
nah
usually by the time you start noticing those things they have been already approved by /mu/, that's why you think that
>>
>>63393759
>This is what I'm talking about. Shitposting idiots like you are the reason people are forcing this dumb poseurcore shit in the first place.
>Stop posting in /daily/.
You probably haven't even taken a single shitposting appreciation or shitposting history class in your life.and here you are lecturing *me* on my shitposts.

PUH-
LEAZE.
>>
>>63393730
>but why do the discussions of (for want of a better term) 'experimental' music never go beyond whats already /mu/ approved?
Because a "discussion" requires more than one person to know about the topic being discussed...
>>
HEY, ANTIPOSEURS !
Show me some charts for your "good" music (not montiecore) and answer me: don't you think "poseurs" can enjoy this music and if you don't get it, it does not mean that this music bad ?
>>
>>63393791
I just wanted to take this opportunity to share my feelings on you with you without bringing lame meta drama to /daily/ itself.
I said my piece. You're a fucking faggot. Stop posting in /daily/. Bye.
>>
>>63393810
what even is montiecore
oasis?
>>
File: mfw.jpg (6 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
6 KB, 160x160
itt: pleb stories

>chilling with friends
>put on some Stockhausen
>confront myself and my self (as an ontological historical entity) with the mirror of atonality (as a mirror is not an empathic but a reflexive entity, alien to the space and time it reflects and only existing by itself in relation to the other) and realize the boundaries of human thought, comprehension and consciousness
>reach rational ecstasy
>pleb friend gets up and says "what is this poseur shit, lmao, put some neutral milk hotel"
>get angry at their rockist subaltern consumption conditioned by the structures of power of the imperialist white economies, but contain it
>calm myself down by remembering quotes from finnegans wake, my favorite book since i was a teenager
>mfw can't express myself because i'm a spectator in the society of spectacle

"It is not the slumber of reason which engenders monsters, but vigilant and insomniac rationality. - Gilles Deleuze" - ~Astigmata
>>
>>63393822
>Bye.
゚+。:.゚ヽ(*´∀`)ノ゚.:。+゚ Toodles~
>>
>>63393835
hey smurm
>>
>>63393835
This pasta is a reminder of better times.
>>
>>63393783
>still talking about coil, throbbing gristle, trout mask replica etc.
name some 'new' /mu/ or /daily/ core?
>>
>>63393769
>>63393780
>>63393839
>>63393852
>All this tripfagging
Just go to reddit
>>
>>63393835
can u purp smurm
>>
File: 1456956460740.png (673 KB, 805x505) Image search: [Google]
1456956460740.png
673 KB, 805x505
This is TRUE poseurcore.
>>
>>63393839
Why is this shit allowed now
What the fuck happened to get us here
>>
>>63393878
any music is poseurcore
>>
>>63393822
>You're a fucking faggot.
have you ever even been to /dilly/? there's a handful of out and proud flamers, two or three transfolk, everyone else is at least bi i would assume. being gay is the norm, its a good thing there
>>
>>63393867
I'm browsing several subreddits right now actually.
>>
>>63393865
Obviously if something is "something"-core it's been established, so it needed some time. new /mu/core is almost an oxymoron and most stuff that's claimed to be "new mucore" probably isn't. But I saw a lot of singular discussions about stuff that's new and old, heard and unheard about, on daily and not. Just look around in the threads that are not fucking failures
>>
>>63393878
truuu senpai desu
>>
>>63393901
[spoiler] we've always been here [/spoiler]
>>
>>63393916
wow take a look at THIS faggot
>>
>>63393867
And then they say that poseurcore and poseurs don't exist!
This thread reeks of poseur butthurt, but since the /daily/ turds are too self-conscious about appearing superior and above-it-all, the butthurt is manifesting itself in this sort of precious shitposting instead of them raging and calling the anti-poseur lads faggots and whatnot.

I'm glad they're doing it though, because it's opening up more people's eyes about just how unbearable these cretins are.
>>
>>63393920
>I'm browsing several subreddits right now actually.
bro....you cant just ...do that...fuck...reddit and 4chan,...at the same damn time...shit ......fuck
>>
>>63393930
ok instead of being pedantic can you link me to one thread which doesnt have the most purile discussion of anything more complex than anco?
>>
>>63393962
>And then they say that poseurcore and poseurs don't exist!
It's a myth, like Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny!

But seriously wtf is that list
>Chance Meeting, not Homotopy to Marie
>Ascension not A Love Supreme
>Motherfucking Comus

Absolute trash.
>>
>>63393962
are u a conspiracy theorist or sth
>>
>>63393968
no, fuck off newfig
if you want to be spoonfed go to reddit
>>
>>63394045
ok so now you resort to calling me a newfag, i dont want spoonfeeding i want you to show me something that your claiming exists that ive never seen before. classic poseur reaction t b h
>>
i remember the days when all it would have taken for /mu/ to shitpost a cesspool like /daily/ into oblivion would have been noticing how infested with tripfags that general is

when did this board get so soft?
>>
>>63394127
>i remember the days when all it would have taken for /mu/ to shitpost a cesspool like /daily/ into oblivion would have been noticing how infested with tripfags that general is

>when did this board get so soft?
When all the people that would have shiposted /daily/ "into oblivion" got trips and started shitposting in /daily/
Come on, get with the times.
>>
When /daily/ started in 2014, we began as simply a place to discuss what we listened to and loved.
If you asked anyone there if we actually consider our personal tastes to be objectively better than anyone else's, just about everyone will say "no"

/daily/ always encourages newcomers and albums of all genres and popularity. Let's mend this broken bone, guys. We can do great things together.
>>
>>63394177
:') I remember og daily.

Those threads were great.

Make Daily Great Again ;_;
>>
>>63394074
you're the poseur here if you've never seen anything interesting here and you still post just to circlejerk, guy

for discussion just look for generals, sometimes you can get good stuff out of classical, jazz, blindfold tests, bleep, noise etc.
>>
>>63394212
>sometimes you can get good stuff out of classical, jazz, blindfold tests, bleep, noise etc.

/noise/ is atrocious. Nobody in those threads has any idea about anything when it comes to noise.
They don't know the history, they don't know the culture, they don't know what goes into making it, they don't know any artists or albums beyond the most entry level ones, they literally have no fucking idea about it and seeing people say unbelievably idiotic shit or asking unbelievably idiotic questions is a regular occurence.
It's an abysmal general and I have no idea how it's been going relatively regularly for like two years now.
>>
>You're a poseUr if you like any of these generally well regarded albums

OP confirmed accidentally vaccinated twice
>>
>>63394248
You know, if they're lacking in education you could possibly be their remedy, anon

Though the art is being enjoyed at a base level, at the very least it's a start.
>>
>>63394212
/jazz/ general etc. isn't what this thread is complaining about. its almost as if you have literally no comprehension whatsoever. take another look at the chart nd what OP says. hes complaining about the incredible amount of people who claim to like these pretty niche albums, which are weirdly ubiquitous here on /mu/ with no reason beyond, '/mu/ says its good'
>>
>>63394282
>this anon confirmed for not being able to understand the basic principle of what OP is saying.

try fucking reading and thinking before posting
>>
File: -mu-sick.png (573 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
-mu-sick.png
573 KB, 1024x768
Made this mi familia
>>
>>63394337
hnngh
>>
>>63394304
yeah but if you first come into 'experimental' music when on /mu/ it's quite obvious you'd get to the albums that are talked about most first right? it's literally just "babby's first experimental / experimental /mu/-core" and I have the feeling people who know their away around this stuff better post about it less, because everyone is just here for themselves, once they know more they don't come back I dunno. It's just a good way to get into less mainstream music, people will still keep exploring, they're not pretending to like these albums. Why tf would people pretend to like certain album to people they don't even know?
>>
>>63394370
>Why tf would people pretend to like certain album to people they don't even know?
the same reason they'd adopt a trip on an anonymous imageboard: people are faggots.
>>
>>63394295
I was actually really trying to help with making those threads better at one point but no matter how much of an effort you make to foster healthy discussion or set people on the right track when it comes to figuring shit out and informing themselves, if you're one of the only people doing it(and I'm not saying I was the only one, but even during its better phases /noise/ barely ever scraped together more than a handful of good posters) your efforts are gonna fall flat.
Those threads started out wrong and have remained wrong throughout their existence, there's no helping them.
>>
>>63394409
that sure explains much
>try fucking reading and thinking before posting
>>
File: 1443085498555.jpg (55 KB, 540x626) Image search: [Google]
1443085498555.jpg
55 KB, 540x626
>>63394433
Do you know why it never took off anon? It's because you gave up. Nothing is guaranteed to come to fruition, but if we will it then it's going to happen.

If you earnestly desire an educated /noise/ general, then you can't give up man. It's a tiring, almost endless ambition but nobody else is going to make your dreams come true.
>>
>>63394409
You should probably rethink certain things in your life if that upsets you.
>>
>>63394177
>love something
>on 4chan
This is why it goes goes down. If you want to discuss what you love, go to r/music(seriously).
>>
>>63394513
Nah man, I'm done with that thread.
I tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, it doesn't even matter.
>>
>>63394574
it matters for me, anon
>>
>>63394528
There is no community as volatile, obscene, and ugly as /mu/. It's exactly what makes it special.

After being on here for some years, I can say with confidence that this place taught me the importance of "nothing is sacred". It's been incredibly humbling and overall tested whether I genuinely loved what I claimed to love or was just holding onto for false reasons. Essentially, /mu/ taught me that if I love something, I'll keep on doing so even if the entire world hates it, otherwise it ain't love bb.
>>
>Anyone who likes entry-level music is a pleb
>Anyone who likes anything beyond entry-level music is a poser

This is the logical contradiction that drives /mu/

Do you think all this hate for each other is because people over estimate how much their taste in music reflects their identity as a person? I feel detached from my taste in music, I just listen to whatever happens to interest me, but people here take it much more seriously. I don't really get it.

>>63394513
Great pic, saved.
>>
>>63394485
>>63394514
im not upset im just mocking trip users (also nice touch that you dropped your trip for that post)
>>
how do you faggots keep this thread going for so long

how the fuck does this not bore you

forget trying to "get rid of the poseurs" or "make /mu/ great again" or whatever, how the fuck do you sit here and do this for hours or days and not get fucking sick of it

>>63394627
this too
>>
>>63394581
That's also why I like /mu/. It toughens you up and encourages you to develop meaningful opinions knowing that they'll always be shot down. Music taste is subjective, which means discussing it at all is completely absurd, and /mu/ embraces that absurdity completely. It's like the very notion that any of us have any opinions at all is one big in-joke, so we just berate each other endlessly.
>>
>>63394627
do black lives matter?
>>
>>63394627
>anything on that chart is particulary worth pretending to enjoy in the first place.
THIS

The list itself is utter garbage and we should not pretend otherwise.
>>
>>63394608
A good chunk of posters I assume are comprised of the socially inept. If music is their go-to medium to feel any sense of belonging, then it would make sense why they'd be more hurt than others who place their identity in other ideas.
>>
File: disturbing news.jpg (49 KB, 231x360) Image search: [Google]
disturbing news.jpg
49 KB, 231x360
>>63392206
he's bad news
>>
What if you listen to these albums and enjoy them without claiming to have any deep understanding of the work?
>>
>>63394705
Then you're the true pleb
>>
>>63394705
If you like any of those albums for no reason then you are the poseur.
>>
>>63394705
your still a poseur

fuck you, dumb SJW
>>
>>63394705
Then that really is pretty pleb, in my opinion. No one likes a dilettante.
>>
>>63394656
>discussing something subjective is absurd
not really t b h
>>
>>63394705
You're not just a poseur, but a stupid one.
>>
>>63394731
99% of disagreements on /mu/ boil down to

>I don't like it
>But I do like it

There are multiple examples of that just ITT
>>
>>63391998
Post, what's on you opinion, good music, my dearest OP.
>>
>>63394656
>It toughens you up and encourages you to develop meaningful opinions knowing that they'll always be shot down
Not really, if anything that just gives means you can easily deflect any criticism without any need for "meaningful" opinions
>>
>>63391998
Look guys OP created yet a chart for music he does not understand. Let's all give him a pat on the back.
>>
File: 34432323.png (108 KB, 400x381) Image search: [Google]
34432323.png
108 KB, 400x381
>>63394791
>get's called out on his fake taste
>what do u think is good music then?!??!?!
utterly patheic
>>
>>63394813
Not really though, if you approach it correctly you start thinking critically about the views and arguments you use for supporting something, and reform your opinion for the better. What you're talking about is the other approach, where you just build a barrier and cover your ears
>>
>>63394753
i know but i talk about music not on /mu/ with normal people and its fucking interesting, live in the real world a little more...
>>
>>63394791
its ok to call those albums good if you can rationalize and contextualize your enjoyment of them
>>
File: tony.png (30 KB, 124x133) Image search: [Google]
tony.png
30 KB, 124x133
>>63392206
he's bad news
>>
>>63394841
what do u think is good music then?!??!?!
>>
>>63394866
see
>>63394858
>>
>>63391998
thoughts on this meme? Anything you'd laugh at? Anything you'd anti meme?

>But anon what is this meme?

people who shitpost a chart with some rather well known "experimental" music. Their favorite shitposts include poseurcore, meme school, death grips, and trolling newfags.
>>
>>63394889
didn't you only turn 18 like two weeks ago? shut the fuck up
>>
>>63394935
>more like 19

that's honestly not much better at all
like i said, shut the fuck up
>>
>>63394841
>insult on the question
I love Radiohead, Beatles, Gorillaz and only a few experimental bands. I just want to know that you not a baitanon and what's better to listen. But, looks like you don't care much about movement.
>>
Hey, friends! Hope you are enjoying this wonderful thread. Just stopping by to say that Naked City is one of the greatest LPs of all time and, if you haven't heard it yet, you should really give it a spin!
>>
>>63394858
i fail to see why you would have to do that, justify yourself, if you're just listening to music for fun and for yourself, as >>63393020 implies you should
>>
>>63392223
Kek

I will never appreciate mediocre artists who operate solely on bizarre performance antics and shock tactics. If you're supposed to be a 'musical' act, you'd better be able to back up your crazy stage shit with actual music. The early Mothers of Invention are a prime example of an incredibly talented, musically legitimate band with absurd stage performances.

... And then there's stuff like gerogerigegege...
>>
>>63394989
seriously this

like this whole fucking obsession with authenticity is clearly the result of people who are totally insecure about their taste and have fallen 100% for the retarded ideas about "pleb" and "patrician" music that this board has perpetuated
>>
>>63394956
Is that the one with the covers of classical pieces? Because I've been meaning to listen to that ever since I heard their rendition of L'Cathedral Engloutie
>>
File: 1451105788755.jpg (43 KB, 468x376) Image search: [Google]
1451105788755.jpg
43 KB, 468x376
>mfw i see poseurs post
you guys can leave MY board and stop shitting on great bands like the radioheads and neutral milk hotel just because people know who they are!
there's a reason nobody knows about your bands like Mr Bungle and This Heat outside your rym circlejerks!
>>
>>63395033
>This Heat
Isn't that your favorite band tho?
>>
File: fuck melody.jpg (66 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
fuck melody.jpg
66 KB, 600x800
>>63395000
holy shit it's like you think everyone is 100% serious all of the time
>>
>>63395033
Whatever you say Montie.
>>
I don't really buy the argument that posers are detrimental to /mu/, they are hermetically sealed inside /daily/ where their egos can compete all day long without bothering the rest of us. Complete non-issue.
>>
>>63394989
>thinking most of those albums are not almost entirely intended to provoke thought
come on at least make this hard for me.
>>
self-awareness is at an all-time low

half of the "members" of this "anti-poseur movement" are targets of the very movement they are a part of, if we're really gonna hold them to their stated goals and ideals
>>
>>63395068
>cat nips
lewd
>>
>>63392807
Yea the kanye earl sweatshirt unironic tswifty threads are fine
>>
>>63392424
>no such people exist on a board like /mu/ anyway, where it's all about spoonfeeding, droning and keeping up with the clique

>spoon feeding

I am listening to the entire sega master system catalog (with some game gear included too) from sms power, to check what I like, I am at letter 7 right now.

I also tried on youtube (and then got the ones that would be probblaly good and downloaded to listen to them) every single album on rym that had just the genre minimalism on their profile.

I didnt the same with dungeon synth list on the dungeon synth blog.
Now I am doing the same with a winter synth list on rym.
And found some site on russia with many dungeon synth albums (search for dungeon synth wall) to listen by streaming, and already listened to everything there and saved the problably good ones on my backlog to download.

I also tried every single lowercase album of the big 3 lowercase labels (line, 12k and brasmmsung and their netlabels) because I was ultra curious about this genre.

I also tested 4 songs of a huge ass emotive hardcore list of bands from a site that explain that emo is not what tv say it is (and then downloaded the ones I would problably like), because I wanted to know more about this real emo thing.

I had just few songs from a genre I liked (chiptune), and I said to myself "chiptune is easy to find and I have so few songs here so I must do something about it" and so downloaded every single chiptune albums from every netlabel about chiptune only I found on a rym list.
>>
>>63395068
Hi sal :)
>>
I've got 3 terabytes of 60's pre-ambient

800 gigs of live recordings of this local band called the fuckerfucks. They played only 2 shows before breaking up but I had 11 redundant recording rigs all recording flac which I then layered over one another for 25,000 kbps bitrate.

8 terabytes of the beatles. No not THOSE beatles, the new beatles. They haven't recorded an album yet and technically they're not really a band yet but they're indie-gospel-post-funk-punk style is going to be huge when you guys hear their stuff in about 5 years.

4 petabytes of the Ethiopian Free Jazz wave that occurred in 1973 in a town called Wenji Gefersi.

18 terabytes of sound check recordings from the mid 90's band LFO. They only scored a hit with "I like girls (who wear abercrombie and fitch)" but they were way ahead of their time.

That's just my C: drive. I have 41 drives.
>>
>>63395104
> to check what I like, I am at letter 7 right now
change that to
>to check what I like, I am at letter S right now.

Also I am thinking if I download all albums tagged as onkyo (tagged or not as other stuff too) on rym
>>
>>63392424
Holy SHIT these guys are calling themselves a "movement" and think of this as a "cause"

that is honestly the most autistic thing I've seen on this board since Montie claiming he tricked us all into thinking he's a retard
>>
>>63393878
This is a true "im 16 and listen to ACTUAL MUSIC"
>>
>>63395068
Whatever who you are, you can't run from Mortie. You gonna be Mortie. I gonna be Mortie. Everyone gonna be Mortie. It's spreading.
>>
>>63395085
i seriously doubt there's anything more to this "movement" than one dude shitposting his ass off because he thinks it's funny
>>
>>63395033
Not sure if serious, but I thought /mu/ grew up and realized Neutral Milk Hotel is amateur singer songwriter indie shit. Radiohead has always been good though. At least from The Bends onwards.

That said, any fan of NMH has no place to talk about This Heat or even Mr Bungle
>>
>>63395179
Hi, nice to meet you!
>>
What is the difference between avant teen and this
>>
>>63395057
Settle down man I wasn't addressing you specifically, I just felt compelled to respond in general to the provocative video you posted.
>>
>>63395203
Montie get out
>>
>>63395145
someone pls post montie incident if possible
>>
>>63395189
Right back at ya friendo
>>
>>63392206
he's bad news
>>
>>63395203
nothing

>>63395178
it's so boring though
it makes my fucking head hurt

how do people shitpost for years and not just fucking die inside
>>
>>63395228
I don't have a screenshot but he said "How do you know this is what I'm really like? I could be tricking all of you and you don't even realise"

btw is he alive? i saw someone say he was suicidal
>>
>>63395066
provoke thought in the sense that you're supposed to question what you like about them, or about the topics they imply?

besides, i only need to care about the artist's intent (or music theory, or history, etc btw) as much as i do
>>
HOW TO AVOID BEING LABELLED AS SOMETHING

As you know rym has a huge ass catalog.

So, anyway do this and avoid being catalogued as something.

1-Delete every single album of your pc (excluding your brother, syster.... etc.... music)
2-Go here: http://rateyourmusic.com/misc/random
3-If you can find the album for download, download and listen and keep if you like.
3.1-If you cant find go back to 2.
4-Dont ever seach music by other method, this is what you do know.
4.1-Some Recomendation system recommend you something? Dont try. Someone say you should check this band? Dont try.. You will only liste to music outside the link at parties, and while watching a tv show or playing some game, in this case, dont download the party song, tv show or game songs, unless you get them by step 2.
5-Go back to 2
>>
>>63391998
Sacred guitar and violin music from the modern aztecs is probably my favourite album. i dont think its 'deep and esoteric', well i do in these that the joy it brings me is pure and life affirming and beautiful. i guess im just posing
>>
>>63395264
he posted in this thread

>>63392189
>>63392382
>>63393405
>>
>>63395264
yeah, Hes 'suicidial' because we were playing minecraft in his group call and we wouldnt give him the server IP
he threw a huge temper tantrum, and banned me again lol
>>
I'm not ashamed to say I love poser core, but for totally different reasons to what I normally listen to. They're almost always interesting to read about and that level of intrigue crosses over into listening to the album.

If there's an album that consists of Lithuanian nuns throwing potatoes at a suitcase and screaming, I'll listen to it because the weirdness of it has its own allure. That doesn't mean I'll put it on my iPod and bump it every day.

I think the "anti poser league" only know one approach to music which is all about acccessibility
>>
>>63395135
(you)
>>
>>63395270
both, the fact you can listen to music and apparently not think about either of those things is min-boggling to me. I'd say im always more interested in trying to console my intellectual understanding of music with my innate gut feelings on an album or piece of music. if youre not going through that kind of process whats the point in experimental music?
>>
>>63395310
>montie is this huge of a baby
im honestly not suprised.
>>
>>63395424
to hear sounds that you're not gonna get from pop music

i don't see sufjan stevens making music with broken electronics and heavily modified violins
>>
>>63395424
>>63395473
I personally am more into the cerebral side of it but these are both valid approaches.
>>
>>63395473
t b h not trying to sound like a nob but had a shit ton of musical education and did a jazz degree at music college etc. i think this obviously heavily affects how i listen to music, i cant disengage the analytical side of my brain. but im somewhat jealous of this now you put it in these simple terms.
>>
>>63395608
i totally understand that. i wish i could articulate myself better desu

i just think that things like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1D5cRSlUC4
are hard not to enjoy with an open mind
>>
>>63395608
Don't be jealous, it's tantamount to passive listening. You get much more out of music by listening with a critical ear, although sometimes I have to force myself to stop listening that way if the music is about immersion and atmosphere
>>
>>63394177
>If you asked anyone there if we actually consider our personal tastes to be objectively better than anyone else's, just about everyone will say "no"
Actually, my taste is objectively the best there is.

>>63394409
>still gets mad because of tripfags
>still believes people listen to music they don't like to look cool to a bunch of losers on 4chan
Never change, /mu/

>>63394608
The pleb-patrician dichotomy started off as a joke, but as with any joke on the internet, people eventually started taking it seriously so that's why a few years ago it was cool to call people "pleb" unironically and now, conversely, people whine about "poseurs".

tl;dr /mu/ is too autism-ridden to understand the difference between sincerity and irony, so all that is ironic will eventually be taken for sincere and vice versa

>>63394727
>implying simply liking the way something sounds isn't a reason to enjoy an album
I shiggy diggy doo, my lad

>>63395000
>implying anybody takes gero seriously
They are fun as fuck, that's all there is to it.
>>
>>63395661
>this video is not available.
damn, but yeh i think know what youre getting at, its interesting to me to think if theres a limit to this? its hard because i usually associate this simplistic enoyment of music with people who dont really care about music and ust have it in background, quite interesting when applied to more experimental works tho i suppose.

>>63395678
yeh its a tough one to reconcile because for the most part im glad i have that facility but as i said its hard to switch of and i feel theres times where that would aid my enjoyment of some things.
>>
>>63395834
I get the same thing. I can't really into genres with little variation, even great genres like ambient or krautrock, if I'm not in the mood where I can switch my brain off
>>
>>63395857
yeh i get this, i can get incredibly into genres for short periods of times and then just feel like ive heard it all before. krautrock being a good example, also the more hippy-jam side of psych and stuff like that etc. ambient i can enjoy but only in the sense that it challenges my understanding of what music is.
>>
>>63395917
I have some genuine advice for you that could seriously help you overcome this, works for me anyway but I don't do it very often. Do you practice mindfulness?
>>
>>63395955
>do you practice mindfulness
no, and dont know what it is even. tell me more senpai sounds intriguing
>>
>>63392521
Greetings Reddit!
>>
>>63395750
You're the textbook definition of a shallow-end-of-the-pool dilettante Terminus, shut the fuck up.
>>
>>63395992
Google definition: Mindfulness is a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations.

To achieve mindfulness you basically empty your thoughts by concentrating on an activity that requires very little mental power, like 'observing' your breathing. It's very relaxing and there's a lot to it, but that's besides the point.

You can apply mindfulness to activities. 'Mindful eating' is a big thing at the moment. As you eat instead of allowing your thoughts to wander you concentrate on how the food looks, the moment-to-moment taste, the sensation in your mouth etc. and it increases your enjoyment. 'Mindful smoking' is now considered an effective tool for quitting, because you suddenly become aware of the bitter taste.

Mindful listening is one of the greatest ways to enjoy music on a purely visceral level. I just empty my thoughts and get into a zen state of focus of what I'm listening to, and it is a good antidote to being stuck on cerebral listening. I've had some of my best listening experiences with ambient by doing this.

Something for you to think about, at least.
>>
>>63396074
thanks a lot anon, hands down the most interesting/useful thing brought to my attention on /mu/. definitley going to look into this a lot more. also mindful smoking sounds like it could help too! honestly cant thank you enough, have a fantastic day/evening wherever you are!
>>
>>63392206
he's bad news
>>
>>63396074
good post. i think if more people read what they were typing as they were typing it, they wouldn't post so much inane garbage.
>>
>>63395289
how this will make people not call me with names, like hipster, avant teen, poseurcore, rym drone...
>>
>>63396011
"lel"
>>
so what exactly do you people suggest i do if i like a lot of the albums on that chart?

i mean excluding suicide
>>
>>63396775
Nothing, they are just enjoying complaining.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.