[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>actually talks about the music >actually considers the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 10
File: a_strong_btfu.jpg (1 MB, 1921x1083) Image search: [Google]
a_strong_btfu.jpg
1 MB, 1921x1083
>actually talks about the music
>actually considers the album as a whole
>isn't overly concerned with previous legacy
>isn't paid by record companies

Tell me, /mu/, why don't we like him? He actually reviews the music and doesn't just gobble corporate cocks. It's certainly more than p4k's "review."
>>
hi anthony
>>
He is a meme so he is wrong
>>
>>62615536
>>62615553
>can't come up with argument against anthony fantasmo
>just resorts to insulting him
>>
If you appreciate art you can appreciate Kanye. If you just want something to listen to that sounds nice and has meaning in lyrics (aka only looking at the music at face value) and something as a cohesive whole with a defiite begining and end then Ye is not for you. His old stuff might be but Ye has matured as an artist and is completely uninhibited. I guess I agree on fantanos painting metaphor and if you can appreciate this albums aesthetic then you would agree that it is severely underrated.
>>
Hi Deletethony Vidtano, how's it going?

Now, I know it's been a while since you've lurked on /mu/, but did you think a board dedicated to hating anything popular would like you once you got popular? :^)
>>
>>62615607
>Give Kendrick 10 for boring muh dikk nigga
>>
>>62615678
delusional faggot
>>
>>62615712
>biting this hard on obvious bait
>>
>>62615509
I still enjoy and watch Anthony every now and then, the only real reason he gets a load of hate here is because he isn't "our guy" anymore and because of his meme status which tends to happen to anything people on here like for too long.
>>
>>62615509
I'll let you in on a little secret. Many people here watch his reviews and enjoy them. It's fun to pick on him because he's a central part of the music scenes this board subscribes to, making him an easy target (because he's always talking about the same damn shit we are). But to pretend that this board actually hates this guy is crazy. He has a solid record of well-worded, well thought out reviews that go from pop top 20 albums to underground releases that show incredible promise. He has a solid review format that has been copied by many, and he continues to work very hard on releasing new content daily. Again, he's just a really easy target, but there really isn't anything serious behind it
>>
>>62615678
expanding on this Fantano rates TPAB a 10/10 because as a whole piece its like a book where as TLOP is a picture. If you think about it how often would you listen to TPAB, I have personally only listened to it a few times and I dont think ill ever really go back to it. Ye however makes timeless music and just like Yeezus had to grow on people TLOP will too (especially with incoming fixes). I want ultralight beam played at my funeral and will be banging a lot of the tracks on this album until that day. in my opinion Kanye is just breaking barriers and really linear-type critics like fantano dont have the capacity to recognize something unique BY FIRST IMPRESSIONS.
>>
File: 1452275973132.jpg (212 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1452275973132.jpg
212 KB, 2048x1536
>He has a solid record of well-worded, well thought out reviews that go from pop top 20 albums to underground releases that show incredible promise. He has a solid review format that has been copied by many, and he continues to work very hard on releasing new content daily
>>
>if you hate kanye you hate yourself
>>
>>62615509
Fuck outta here, Fantano. You is a shit.
>>
>>62615870
>if you hate kanye you're a racist
>>
>>62615906

this too
>>
Whay score did he give it
>>
>>62616168
OP's pic is literally a screen shot of the score.
>>
>listen to first 3 tracks
>just confused as to why there's so much shit ripped off from other rap songs
>delete album

Is this album some ironic meta-hiphop, or isn't it all supposed to be stolen from other songs?
>>
>>62615509
>He actually reviews the music
llllllllllllllllllllllol
>>
File: 1455438356122.png (763 KB, 607x579) Image search: [Google]
1455438356122.png
763 KB, 607x579
I like him, but it's also just his fucking opinion. Nearly 9 years on this site and I still can't fathom why a large swath of people care about reviews when they're just printed opinions of ordinary ass people who got hired by someone.

It's all fun and stuff to post your own ratings and discuss the merits of an album, but to place such personal investment and value into someone else and their opinion of any piece of media is fucking retarded beyond all comprehension.
>>
He gave Rodeo a strong 8. He gave the marshall mathers LP 2 a 7. He gave MBDTF a light 6.

Just let that sink in for a moment, he gave the single most critically acclaimed hip-hop album of the 2010s a light 6. If that doesn't prove that he doesn't know shit about hip-hop, I don't know what does.
>>
>>62616338
>Just let that sink in for a moment, he gave the single most critically acclaimed hip-hop album of the 2010s a light 6

it wouldnt have that tag without p4k's help

it isnt
>>
>>62616291
>Nearly 9 years on this site and I still can't fathom why a large swath of people care about reviews when they're just printed opinions of ordinary ass people who got hired by someone.

because not everyone on /mu/ understands that everything in life is subjective. opinions aren't wrong or right, they are bridges of communication between the feelings and emotions induced by the music within the brain and the outside world. If he thinks the album is a light 6/10 thats because due to HIS CONDITIONING the level of emotion and feeling resonating between him and the album in its current form and order. But i think a lot of the hate also spawned from his memeing
>>
>>62616395

It was before TPAB came out. MBDTF even got a positive review from Scaruffi.
>>
>>62616338
He reviewed MBTF when his channel was smaller and he needed an edgy contrarian review. This album was the perfect target for him to get more views.

MMLP2 actually was a Light 7-Strong 6 IMO

But yeah, Rodeo sucks cock.
>>
>>62616338
THIS

He just has something against Kanye and it is obvious. He wants to give him a low score.
>>
>>62616500
>he thinks life is subjective

Lol life is pretty objective
>>
>>62616740
I listened to TLOP front to back probably 5-6 times before watching his review, and I found myself agreeing with most of what he said. I found myself really enjoying it on the first 3 or so listens, but then I started skipping tracks.

I completely agreed with him that Low Lights was stupid as all hell. I liked on the stream rip how that one was much shorter, thought it went wayyy too long on the album. Highlights as a track was kinda eh as well, although definitely not the worst. I disagreed about FML, I thought that track was total shit, through and through, as well as on FSMH, I felt like Pt. 1 was the stronger of the two, Pt. 2 really feels unfinished, like there's some placeholder stuff that made it on to the final cut. I thought Fade was a high point for the album, unlike Fantano, as well.

I've been thinking this whole time that this really feels more like a leak than an actual album, and he states just about the same thing, albeit in different terms. It's really just a fuckin mess, and even though kanye fans are just going to say "Oh, it's a view inside his twisted mind, the messiness is intentional as art desu", I know that it's just a result of him putting the whole thing together at the last possible second.

TL;DR Fantano's not the only one that didn't like it.
>>
>>62616291
>9 years
browse more
>>
File: 1454890367873.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1454890367873.gif
2 MB, 300x300
>>62616979
project chanology was only so long ago anon, how was i to know
>>
>>62616950
its only objective to YOU because your either depressed, cynical, or narcissistic. Once you realize life is subjective and your veiw on the world is only the way it is due to your human conditioning, you will be happy, you will be able to analyze and identify all aspects of your life and reach your full potential. Stop the self pity and self victimizing, be a predator.
>>
>>62615509 well honestly I don't like Anthony because he gives everything a 6, is a cynical twat and he just doesn't make any fucking sense. I say he makes no sense because for example in his MBDTF review he talked about it in an almost entirely positive light, only named like one minor flaw, yet he gave it a fucking 6. What kinda fucking logic is that? From the review itself it sounds like he's gonna give it at least an 8 yet the score says 6. It's like he has two opinions at the same time. I get that not everybody likes MBDTF, and that you're allowed to have an opinion, but you can't have two.
>>
Pretty accurate score even if Fantano is a hack
>>
>>62616740
Honestly this. When he reviewed MMLP2, he pointed out how Eminem had horrible, corny lines and a lot of forgettable, terrible tracks. But he excused all this by basically saying "lol it's m&m whaat did you expect 7/10."

In his review of TLOP, he points out basically the same things: offensive, inappropriate, and corny lyrics and some forgettable tracks. But for some reason he gives TLOP deserves a lower score. Does he honestly think that Kanye makes worse music than Eminem?

My guess is that he associates with Eminem more, so gives him free passes to make shitty music. He's white, he's misogynist, and he acts like he's smarter than everyone else. Those are things that Fantano and Eminem have in common.
>>
>>62615509

>>isn't overly concerned with previous legacy

the whole reason every Kanye review he has done is a pan is because of what he said in his MBDTF review, he thinks that Kanye's life has become "tabloid fodder". He hates Kanye and loves making fun of people who love Kanye because he fulls like he is somehow above him. if Death Grips had made the literal, exact same album, down to every single detail in the beats and lyrics, and MC Ride somehow sounded EXACTLY like Kanye, he would have given it at least a strong 8 and called it a masterpiece of production and said the lyrics don't matter because they're ironic or something. I don't even need to watch the review to know that.

Fantano's taste in hip-hop consists of:

>backpacker shit
>experimental shit (but not TRULY experimental, only P4K-level experimental, that's why he complain ignores artists like Man Bites Dog and Kill The Vultures even though they are far more cutting edge and original than Meme Grips and Cuckdrick Lamar)
>>
>>62617184
>well honestly I don't like Anthony because he gives everything a 6, is a cynical twat

agreed. He cant feel the music for more than just face value. He's too linear, predictable, hes too robotic and memey.
>>
>>62615811
I agree with this
>>
>>62616740

>if you hate Kanye you hate yourself.
>>
>>62615509
I'm okay with Fantano, his reviews are entertaining and I like watching his vinyl updates. The thing is once you read his twitter or watch his second channel you realize how much of a fucking idiot this melonhead is.
Apart from that the only reason /mu/ hates him is because he gave TPAB a 10 so that made the vocal minority of /pol/ that lurks this board mad.
>>
>>62617224
he also gave Macklemore a higher score than MBDTF so why is he allowed to talk about rap
>>
>>62615509
he has bad taste and should go back to /r/eddit
>>
>>62615509

I actually trust anthony.
>>
>>62615711
Great criticism
>>
>>62617224
He also detracted from Kanye for his album being a fucking mess that he threw together the day of its release. Quit making a false dichotomy.
>>
>>62616740
Or because the album is fucking trash and you can't fucking accept it because "M-muh Kanye". Seriously, fuck off. The album is fucking average at best and you fucking know it
>>
>>62615509
what was antony think about death grips?

this is important in how I place my final judgment upon needledrop
>>
>>62615509
I do like him actually

He reviews music pretty fairly and he seems like a decent guy who sticks to his guns

People just get butt-blasted when he doesn't give their fav albums a glowing review
>>
>>62617435
he gave mbdtf a 6. everything he says about kanye is bias and you are too if you cannot see that.
>>
Why is everyone in this thread so obsessed with his opinions on the lyrical content of the album?

It's like you didn't even watch the review. Yes, he complained about the bleached asshole line and the GoPro dick, but he said he thought the TSwift diss was pretty funny.

Then he went on to complain about the unfinished nature of the tracks and about how the whole thing just felt like a jumbled mess. His review isn't based on the shit lyrics, it's based on the shit music.

Go watch his review again and pay attention when he starts talking about Kanye fans, you'll see what I mean. His review is fair, whether you agree with it or not. And it's not just based on Kanye rapping about a bleached anus.
>>
>>62617501
>He gave a pop/rap album a six five years ago
>bias against the biggest turd in the mainstream music industry

Anyways, who gives a fuck what he gave MBDTF? His score of Pablo is accurate
>>
>>62617435
I wouldn't say it's trash, but it clearly has problems, from unnecessary tracks to terrible lyrics. It also has strong points, and noticing those makes the bad parts stand out even more because Kanye used to do better than that.

Also, in general rating things with a number like that 6/10 tends to pull people away from the actual review. If he didn't do that shit people here would praise his MBDTF review instead of sperging out over it years after.
>>
>>62617340
Because MBDTF was mediocre.
>>
I like him for the most part. Cal makes me laugh and he articulates his opinion pretty well even though it's once in a blue moon that I actually agree with him. I think Pom Pom has been the last album I agreed with him on. His taste is pretty shit desu
>>
>>62616338
> he gave the single most critically acclaimed hip-hop album of the 2010s a light 6

Lol and you think that means something "critically acclaimed" So we're going with the #of good reviews = score of album

Maybe he formulated his own opinion and didn't follow the rest of the critics, most of which were paid off.
>>
>>62616338
>>62616647
I bet you fags didn't even listen to Rodeo.

Rodeo is legitimately solid with only 2 bad songs.
>>
he's fat
>>
Lol everyone talks about MBDTF as if because Pitchfork and other sites gave it 10s that means it's an objectively good album.

Kill yourselves, didn't think you let reviewiers form opinions for you
>>
>KANYE IS SO BAD HE SAYS STUPID LYRICS SOMETIMES
>I LOVE DEATH GRIPS THEY ARE SO GREAT THEY'RE LYRICAL GENIUSES

lmao
>>
>>62618010
>BUBUBUBU OH NO ARHHG BUABABABA OH NO HOTHEAD

Kanye just can't keep up
>>
I like the album. It's just stupid fun, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>62618010

I love Kanye and Death Grips but Death Grips have better lyrics by a LOOONG ways.
>>
>>62618149
kys anthony
>>
>>62615509
>fat /mu/tant too lazy to get a real job constantly shills his youtube channel

Reported for spam :^)
>>
I don't know,

He is a reviewer, he gives his opinion on music that he listens to, same as p4k and other reviewing sources. Thats it. It's pretty stupid to actively hate on someones opinion when it's about such a small thing as music, which is something that comes down to interpretation anyways. But fuck me, I was 16 at some point aswell.
>>
What I really dislike about his review is his whole "oh but kanye Stans will prolly say...kanye fans will have you beilieve..trust me I WAS BURNED by death grips.."

Cmon fantano don't let your bias come out this much, I agree with him on some of his points but overall I feel like the album is very good. Kanye is a giant figure and the nature of hip hop has always called for speaking on your life or someone else's so this whole idea he presents that only people who are very invested in wests life will think highly of the album is silly.
>>
I think it's clear at this point, he has his opinion on artists. He does not like Kanye West. He constantly makes snide and negative comments on Kanye as a person, his life and his fans.

Similarly, he likes Kendrick Lamar. Therefore anything Kendrick does, no matter how boring or not that outstanding, is hailed as god level gospel because it's Kendrick who is saying it.

He clearly cannot be objective when listening to music, hence why his reviews and opinions hold no merit. When he gave MBDTF a 6/10, 6 out of fucking 10 for one of the best albums of the decade, that was it for me. Kanye might be a dick sure, but if you cannot separate art from the artist then do not review it.
>>
>>62618474
Maybe he just dislikes the music.
Have you ever considered that?
>>
>>62618604
Of course he hasn't. That would require listening to his reviews and considering them critically.
>>
>>62618604
That's not even the case though. Look at his MBDTF review:

>The production is stunning
>Album is a grand, ambitious effort
>He has stepped up his rhyme game too
>Tons of great features

>BUT I don't really like or care about kanye so lol it's a 6 doesn't matter how good the music is
>>
>>62618647
A music critic is literally a person that gives his opinion about music. A critic being completely objective about music would be an analyst.
>>
>>62618474
>When he gave MBDTF a 6/10, 6 out of fucking 10 for one of the best albums of the decade
>best albums of the decade
Claimed by pretentious teenagers and paid off reviewer sites, but nonetheless continue with that contrived opinion
>>
>>62618706
You really care about the little number do you?

>everything he says in the review i agree with
>He gave it a 6 so I must go and hate on him right now even though he has made tons of comments about his ratings being based on nothing.
>>
>>62618706
Also he says he doesn't like the generic sounding hooks on some songs..I don't get his rating on it either
>>
>>62618814
His ratings aren't based on anything.
>>
He doesn't describe the music at all, he takes like 9 minutes to say stuff like "really crunchy beats", "sticky, warm production", "somewhat garlic-y hooks" etc.

He's right about Kenya being shit tho
>>
>>62618773
The final score he gives the album is important, he knows that and I know that, it just defies logic that he agrees with everything about the album and still gives it a low score, hence his bias against Kanye.
>>
>>62618879
No, you find it to be the most important thing and are willing to completely ignore anything he said before that if you don't agree with the rating he gives an album.

It's only as important as you make it to be.
>>
>>62618706
I agree with the review, but completely disagree with the scores. Same for the TLOP reviews. I think he just enjoys messing with Kanye fans.
>>
>>62616740
>He just has something against Kanye
That's a bad thing?
>>
love Taking Tiger Mountain
>>
>>62617501
His score of Pablo is accurate though. It doesn't matter what he gave an album years ago. Plus, MBDTF isn't even that good.
>>
he's a nigger
>>
File: 1455464653205.jpg (317 KB, 1148x1404) Image search: [Google]
1455464653205.jpg
317 KB, 1148x1404
>>62615607
>>
It goes like tihs:

if melon head likes you as as a person in an incredibly biased manner

you get a 7 and up.

If he doesn't, it's always going to be a pan.

Kanye could literally make the the most perfect piece of music of the century and Fantano will still go" lol but it's kanye fuck him"

If kendrick or any of the shitty death metal bands he listens made a shitty track he'd go "oh wow its pretty good"
>>
>>62615509
>Lets review a rapper with a huge cult of personality that he structures his music around and completely disregard his persona
Stick to black metal
>>
File: casual-racist.png (48 KB, 596x296) Image search: [Google]
casual-racist.png
48 KB, 596x296
just sayin...
>>
>>62615509
I can understand what you are saying, but you should also note that he just doesn't like Kanye, so he actually IS biased.
>>
I just don't trust him with Kanye anymore. He's alright with most other stuff.
>>
>>62619089
Maybe he just had a different taste in music than you do? I know he differs from mine.
>>
>>62619089
that doesnt change the fact that the life of pablo is mediocre and a 6.5-7 at best
>>
>>62619111
>black music
>i made a shitty album but you dont get it b/c ur not black xd xddddd

wat
>>
He's right tho tbqh famiglio
>>
I feel like music needs to be out for awhile before it can be properly reviewed. Usually Kanye albums take a bunch of listens and some time to pass to fully appreciate. Inb4 delusional faggot you all know yeezy albums age like fine wine.

That's my main criticism of anthony's reviews tbqh
>>
>>62619165
He has lost his mind years ago m8, it's what huge succes can do to people.
>>
>>62619203
Anthony has made a video about exactly this.
>>
>>62615509

I actually thought he was pretty dead on aside from a few tracks. I generally agreed with his assessment, though. TLOP really is more interesting as a spectacle than a proper album, even if it does manage to deliver a handful of great tunes.
>>
You guys need to chill. Fantano is clearly about reviewing things according to his personal tastes. He can't possibly review everything, and probably doesn't want to do that so he stays on what he listens to most of the the time. When he says that it's his opinion, he's not trying to trick you, that's just how it is. You don't have to agree with what he says or the ratings he is giving, but if you seriously need other people to validate your tastes and get buttblasted when they don't, you might as well end your life.
In the meantime, just take it yeezy.
>>
>>62619268

Is it an acknowledgment of that?
>>
>>62619287
People here think musical taste is an objective phenomenon. They like to bash other peoples tastes because they are way too insecure about their own opinions. Music taste is a 100% objective thing.
>>
>>62619089

I think he likes pre-MBDTF Kanye just fine, which is fair as that album really was a turning point for the guy.
>>
>>62619351
Yes. If you compare his end of year lists with how he sees certain albums earlier in the year you sometimes see albums he previously disliked being among his favorites at the end of the year.
>>
>>62619357

society is all about the struggle between the absolute and the relative
>>
File: 1455566239420.jpg (619 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1455566239420.jpg
619 KB, 1000x1000
I don't agree with Fantano on this one. It's a strong 8.5 for me and an ultalight 9.
>>
>>62619415
>>62619357
Subjective thing i mean.
>>
>>62615509
>actually talks about the music

lol what "hurr durr the farty synths are a bit off on this thing" fuck off
>>
File: 1454799080124.jpg (77 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1454799080124.jpg
77 KB, 500x500
>>62619357
music is objectively good or bad

whether you like it or not is subjective
>>
>>62619425

i like that album cover
>>
>>62619494
Explain to me how you measure a song to be objectively good or not. If you cannot do this you should literally kill yourself today.
>>
>>62618474

>but if you cannot separate art from the artist then do not review it.

Kanye as a person has always been inseparable from his art. His vulnerabilities and unwavering willingness to put himself out there shades his music to the point where you have to consider it part of the package. It was true of CD, it was true of MBDTF (albeit more his persona than the person behind it), and it remains true of TLOP.
>>
>>62619444
>>62619357

agreed anon. Music is completely subjective anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get their head out of their ass. Music isnt innately good or bad, its your brain/conditioning and reaction that dictates how well that music resonates with you. If it resonates a lot then the music will sound "good" to you and if it dosnt resonate it will sound "bad".
>>
He unironically listen to death grips for reasons other than their production. His opinion is immediately discarded
>>
File: 1454961539788.jpg (152 KB, 519x447) Image search: [Google]
1454961539788.jpg
152 KB, 519x447
>>62615811
>>62615678
How can anyone be that dumb?
>>
>>62619494
wrong

>>62619536
>Explain to me how you measure a song to be objectively good or not. If you cannot do this you should literally kill yourself today.

exactly, you cannot measure the "goodness" or "badness" of music therefore it is subjective.

>IF IT CAN'T BE MEASURED IT IS NOT FINITE
>>
>>62619494

this statement made me lose braincells
>>
File: 3.jpg (70 KB, 387x282) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
70 KB, 387x282
>>62615509
just
>>
>>62619494
Holy shit, retards to this level actually exist in this world`
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.