[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
toughts on this /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: AnCo-pw.jpg (120 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
AnCo-pw.jpg
120 KB, 900x900
toughts on this /mu/?
>>
it's okay.
kindof bland but still much better than the mess that was CHZ.
>>
2 great songs, 1 good song, a few good Panda background vocals, and a lot of meh.
>>
>>62615233
a pop gem, I don't know why it is being so divisive
>>
9/10
>>
>>62615344
are u pithcfork?
>>
I thought it was okay when I first listened to the vinyl rip but I'd rather form an opinion on the official version.
Also everyone dislikes this now because of p4k, /mu/ is full of underage p4k-drones, predictable as fuck.
>>
>>62615367
Fuck p4k
>>
>>62615390
>>62615416

totally agree
>>
File: Strangers_to_Ourselves.jpg (348 KB, 744x741) Image search: [Google]
Strangers_to_Ourselves.jpg
348 KB, 744x741
This whole experience happens every time an album is hyped but turns out to be shit.

When Strangers came out last year there was a huge vocal minority praising the fuck out of it, claiming it was the best thing since Moon & Antarctica. Only a handful were admitting how bad it was. Then the Pitchfork review came out with a 6.4 and within a few days the general consensus here turned to thinking it's the worst thing they've ever written. And of course both this album and Painting With are mediocre as fuck.

The only people claiming that Painting With is on par with MPP are the hardcore fans in denial. Nobody wants to come to terms with the fact that their favorite band is washed up and out of ideas.
>>
>>62615539
But it's better than MPP fám
>>
>>62615539
nah
>>
>>62615539
I absolutely hated TLOP when I first heard it. Despised the album and couldnt find any redeemable qualities in it.

After a few days of listening I am slowly coming around. I'm not sure if it's great, but I am also not sure if I have fully digested the album yet.

I have seen the pitchfork score.

Am i a pleb?
>>
>>62615620
Stop worrying about what other people think.
>>
>>62615620
listen to him >>62615646

if you like it, great. Is ur fucking bussines
>>
It may not be better than classic albums like MPP, SJ, Feels or ST but those albums are wrapped up in personal emotions and nostalgia from the time period I listened to them in. I feel like Painting With could be up there with those albums in time, each song is good in its own way and On Delay and Burglars might be 2 of my favorite Animal Collective songs ever. Sure it's not the same as old AnCo, but the point of the collective is to constantly change and evolve. They started with acoustic instruments and evolved to full electronic with MPP, instrumentally theres nowhere else the can go. So they evolved their song structures, tried something new in how they actually wrote their songs. I think it was a really good album, leagues better than ChZ
>>
It was funny when Pitchfork panned it.
>>
There's nothing challenging about it. It's pleasant to listen to but it's ultimately forgettable.
>>
I'm listening to the track Recycling for the first time now and it's really fucking good. Overall the album is about a 7.5/10 in my opinion.
>>
I wanted to like it, I loved Floridada. But this record is just boring and monotonous. The problem with aiming for a Ramones styled record is that every track has the same intensity, there's no variation in dynamics here emotionally nor musically. It reminds me of Voodoo by D'Angelo in the sense that album also suffered from a lack of musical variation in dynamics.
>>
>>62615539
>When Strangers came out last year there was a huge vocal minority praising the fuck out of it, claiming it was the best thing since Moon & Antarctica
what
no
absolutely wrong
>>
>>62615233
I think its a 6.2
>>
File: 3232432432324.jpg (86 KB, 1236x221) Image search: [Google]
3232432432324.jpg
86 KB, 1236x221
>>
I like it.
GOAT waking up music.
>>
>>62615929
Sorry not everyone got to see your comment when you made it.
>>
>>62615929
This is the most Reddit apologism I've ever seen in my life holy fuck what happened to this bands fan base
>>
On Delay >
Burglars >
Hocus Pocus>
Summing the Wretch=Spilling Guts>
Lyin in the Grass>
Golden Gal>
Bagels in Kiev=Floridada>
Vertical>
Recycling>
Natural Selection

I still love natural selection tho
>>
>>62615562
You are fucking out of your mind
MPP is a masterpiece, anco songwritting peaked with that album.
Is literally the sgt.peppers of our time.
Painting With is just another experimental pop album, is not half as good as anything they did before Hz.
I enjoyed the album and it seems that the boys are back on track, but claiming is better than anything pre Hz is just being a fucking contrarian shittastelord.
Sorry
>>
>>62615367
pitchfork gave it 6.4 fucktard
>>
>>62615929
>Band puts out a consistent library of work
>Quality of work begins to drop
>IT'S JUST DIFFERENT YOU CAN'T COMPAARRRRRE THEM

Fuck off
>>
>>62615929
He's right
>>
>>62616094
thanks for the aclaration retard
>>
>>62615897
>what
>no
>absolutely wrong
Oh, well, I'm convinced you know something we don't then.
I'm not >>62615539 but I was there when Strangers came out and it did the same thing that Painting With is doing. And Painting With is great in my opinion, Strangers is sorta shit, still, you can't deny that Painting With is getting way overhyped in the same way that Strangers did.
>>
>>62615897
It's hard to search for this in the archives but this is a small taste of what it was like when it leaked, since you obviously weren't there.

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=strangers+to+ourselves&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=2015-03-06&search_dateto=2015-03-12&search_media_hash=&search_op=all&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

>For me, even with one bad song, it's still a 9/10. It's better than their last two albums, and I would probably play this one way more than M&A, so it's better than that in my book. I was not expecting to be so blown away by this album.

>Overall, I'm really surprised by how much I enjoyed this album. I've listened to it four times now, and my opinions have been changing along the way, but it's really starting to grow on me. Hell, I had really low expectations going into it, so that's probably why I'm so surprised. I didn't really dig Lampshades on Fire or Coyotes when I first heard them as singles, but maybe Wicked Campaign will end up being my favorite somehow someday. I definitely don''t think this is the best Modest Mouse album, but I do think it's one of their most solid. With their albums usually being 15 tracks, they usually tend to have some filler. That being said, Building Nothing out of Something will forever remain my favorite Modest Mouse album, but it's nice to hear something new.

>I loved the album, some songs sound a lot like M&A which is my favorite album from them, some bits sound like their older works and the poppy songs sound like a We Were Dead continuation. Really looking forward to Partners to Strangers
>>
>>
>>62616056

>MPP is a masterpiece, anco songwritting peaked with that album.

actually they peaked with their first three albums, but you probably couldn't even name a song from those.

>Is literally the sgt.peppers of our time.

so it's a 6/10? what are you saying?

>Painting With is just another experimental pop album, is not half as good as anything they did before Hz.

PW isn't as good as MPP but it's damn close, however it's a far, far cry from their first trilogy.
>>
>>62616563
>>62616725
Huh, we must have been in different threads. I remember people arguing about Pistol a lot.

No real use going back and forth about it, though, I guess.
>>
>>62616884
>their first three albums
>their first trilogy
Spirit, Danse, Campfire Songs? I hope your not serious because that's some next level tryhard contrarian bullshit right there.

HCTI, Sung Tongs, Feels would make a better trilogy and Feels, Jam, MPP makes even more sense but you're out of your mind if you think AnCo released their best three albums consecutively.
>>
>>62615233
a lot of fun
really great pop album
8/10 imo, favorite album of the year so far
>>
>>62615233
Honestly, I could not possibly describe it better than Panda Bear's Slasher Flicks VS Avey Tare and the Grim Reaper. It seriously just sounds like they smashed their last two albums together. Anyway, I feel like the only songs I'm into are the ones with good danceable beats, which is kind of a really bad sign. Except Hocus Pocus, that one's not bad.
>>
>>62617078
their first three are danse, hollinndagain, campfire songs, m8. not sure that's what he meant, but that's the truth
>>
File: 1392343837565.gif (529 KB, 160x270) Image search: [Google]
1392343837565.gif
529 KB, 160x270
>>62615233
I like it. Not a top-tier AC album but it's a fun listen. It also sounds great as I'm walking to work on a sunny, winter morning
>>
>>62615539
Your post basically reads "I am hardwired to Pitchfork's every thought". How much does it suck to lack independence?
>>
It's not groundbreaking or career topping but I do think it's a worthy addition to their discography and I'll be coming back to it. 7-8/10
>>
I really like it. Its got a couple of forgettable tracks but the majority is fantastic, like Burglars (which might be my fav ever anco track).
I agree with ctrlaltdel that if Deaks solo album is brilliant then the next anco will be deaks MPP
>>
pretty good 7/10
>>
>>62617309
I wanna cycle down the Miami coast and listen to it
>>
it's definitely a grower.. reminds me of the 90s
>>
>>62617078

I meant Spirit, HCTI, Danse.
>>
>>62615233
WHAT ARE THEY SAYING. I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A FUCKING WORD THEY SING.
>>
>>62618451
really? its clear enough to me, fast but clear
>>
It's their worst album.
>>
>>62619278
Hi pitchfork
>>
>>62616884
you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>62615260
>>62615278
this
all the songs sound the same except for golden gal florida and lying on the grass
honestly
>>
>>62615864
Is it called recycling because they recycle the same vocal style on almost the entire album
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.