[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the fuzz has died down and the dirt in the ground has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3
File: David-Bowie-Blackstar-640x640.jpg (19 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
David-Bowie-Blackstar-640x640.jpg
19 KB, 640x640
Now that the fuzz has died down and the dirt in the ground has settled nicely around his coffin, how good is this album really?
>>
just like most of his albums: pretty good
>>
Still the best of the year.
>>
He did well.
>>
He was cremated OP

And it was pretty good. Unlike Heathen, Reality, or TND, every track is solid. Opinions vary greatly on which tracks are the best, much like STS. Girl Loves Me is my favorite, listened to it every day since the album came out.
>>
>>62596171
I think it's excellent, and I am confident in this opinion because I thought it was before he died. Lazarus and I Can't Give Everything Away are extremely good tracks, maybe the most emotional tracks he has ever written.
>>
I'm waiting until a year after his death to listen to it.
>>
Just an ok album
>>
>>62596171
its very good
>>
does anyone have a bowie flow chart
I have admittedly listened to very little bowie
>>
It's still the best of the year and those who gave it a pity score are fucking scum.
>>
>>62596171
AOTYSF

I've never really been that big of a Bowie fan, but I fell in love with this and consider it to be among his best works. (Maybe only beat out by Heroes)
>>
Pretty good 8/10
>>
>>62596171
It was amassing tons of critical acclaim before he died. His death completely changed the meaning of the album and explained the tone which of course only made it better. It's honestly one of the greatest pieces of art in recent memory.
>>
>>62596638
Listen from Space Oddity to Scary Monsters, it's a crazy journey going from orchestral folk to new-wave/post-punk.
>>
>>62596638
For starters:
Berlin trilogy (Low, Heroes, Lodger)
Station to Station
Ziggy Stardust
>>
real good, 8.5/10 imo. some tracks are really ;-; though
>>
>>62596638
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bowie+flowchart
>>
It's an awesome, awesome album. The fact that he died just days later made it sadder for me, and enhanced my listening experience I'll admit. But the songs can definitely stand on their own. It's one of his best for sure.
>>
File: BestofBowie.jpg (711 KB, 900x902) Image search: [Google]
BestofBowie.jpg
711 KB, 900x902
>>62596638

Listen to:

Station To Station, Low, Scary Monsters

Then Listen to

Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Heroes.

Then listen to everything he did in the 70's.
>>
>>62596852
>http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bowie+flowchart
these charts are horrible.
>>
>>62597176
>diamond dogs
>let's dance
replace those with Lodger and The Next Day
>>
>>62596171
not as good as I had initially thought desu but still awesome, one of his best releases

he blows his load too early with Blackstar and the rest of the album falls slightly short
>>
>>62596638

Just work your way through his 70's catalog.

Blackstar is 9/10
>>
>>62597288
>Blackstar
>not the weakest track on the album
>>
>>62597354
I think it's the best

can I ask what you don't like about it?
>>
>>62596852
are any of the flowcharts here made by /mu/tants
>>
>>62597354
its awesome. the weakest track is lazarus which is still good
>>
>>62597523
I don't know what you're on, but Lazarus is not the weakest track
>>
>>62597456
Don't get me wrong, I like the track, I just think the rest of the album is stronger. Blackstar is a bit disjointed I feel, and it's a bit too long for it's own good. I don't really like the middle part where he goes into a major chord with descending bass notes (something happened on the day he died etc.), I don't really think the transition is that smooth. But I'm nitpicking of course, it is a very good track, but I think it's weak compared to the really great tracks on the album like Dollar Days, Lazarus and I Can't Give Everything Away.
>>
>>62597176
>Diamond Dogs
>Young Americans
>Let's Dance
>>
File: 1375080404412.jpg (20 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1375080404412.jpg
20 KB, 400x300
>>62597264

no
>>
>>62597523
Weakest track is Sue, it's still good though
>>
>>62597603
Not him, but Let's Dance is fire
>>
>>62596638
Start with The Laughing Gnome, like you would any other artist
>>
>>62597798
why the fuck would you with The Laughing Gnome with any other artist
>>
>>62597603
>Young Americans
>Bad
Avant-teen detected
>>
>>62596355
You're missing out on a great album.
>>
>>62597885
No, I'm waiting a year to listen to an allegedly great album. Some people can delay gratification.
>>
TIS A PITY SHE WAS A WHOOORE
>>
>>62598313
TIS MY FATE I SUPPOSE
>>
>>62597798
Laughing gnome is a genuinely fun and good song
>>
>>62596355
>>62598211
why?
>>
>>62598449
Just something that I want to do.
>>
>>62598211
But why are you waiting? To minimize the impact of his death?

Because that's dumb, and coming from someone who listened to it before he died, it's a stellar album either way.
>>
>>62597523
You're only saying that because Lazarus is the most popular.
>>
>>62598313
>misogyny
why do people like him again? he raped a 10 year odl too
>>
>>62598551
>>62598538
>>
>>62598648
It's a reference to a play. Also Jimmy Page raped the same 14 year old but Jimmy was the one that actually hurt her emotionally, not Bowie.
>>
>>62598836
i think regardless if it happens not to negatively effect someone later in life thats lucky but its good policy just not to rape anyone that young... its not even like your interacting with a human at that age.... their brains still operate as children...
>>
>>62598648
holy shit just stop
>>
>>62599068
i would agree that is a good policy anon
>>
If it had included the 2014 version of Tis A Pity it would have been a personal 10/10.
>>
>>62598648
Cite sources, aside from the dumb whore who keeps bragging about it
>>
>>62596171
Best since the Berlin trilogy easily. If that's too much for you guys to accept then at the very least its the best since Let's Dance.
>>
>>62600049
That's the demo, it's pretty neat since he played every instrument on it at his home if i recall correctly.
>>
Still AOTY.
>>
>>62598551
What is it with these /mu/ people who are afraid to enjoy things that aren't in the vacuum? So what if there's hype? So what if there's a compelling story behind the making of an album? You still enjoyed it. If the fun fades, it doesn't nullify the fun you had. Stop protecting yourself from a good time.
>>
>>62601662
this this this
>>
IMO it's a fantastic record. Probably a 9/10 for me. No dull moments or bad tracks. Although there are small portions which I didn't enjoy like the transition half way through Blackstar, but other than that so far its the best album of the year in my book.
>>
An enjoyable album, one of my favorites so far. Not what I'll say as his BEST, but really good.

That's just how I feel, and I still don't understand as to how people can easily change their opinions based on whether someone else doesn't like it or a reviewer puts it badly. If you're going to stay to your mind, stay to it.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.