[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what the fuck am i listening to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
what the fuck am i listening to
>>
>>62584461
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
>>
The greatest song of all time and some other stuff that's pretty nice
>>
I don't know, what the fuck are you listening to?
>>
the greatest album of all time
>>
One of the best albums of the 90s
>>
>>62584536
other than the first song this has been p boring what am i doing wrong
>>
>>62584581
dude that album has Cross The Breeze, The Sprawl, Candle, Total Trash, and Trilogy besides all the other amazing songs

just listen to it over and over till you get it, you'll appreciate other music more too probably
>>
>>62584650
It's shit
>>
NOISE ROCK FOR NORMIES
>>
I was lead to believe that they were a noise rock band. No wonder I hated it.
>>
If you're unfamiliar with Sonic Youth then 70 minutes of guitar wankery. If you are, it's the point where their songwriting and melodic prowess finally caught up with their raw talent.
>>
>>62584710

DDN isn't noise rock
>>
>>62584908
Do they have albums that are?
>>
>>62584742

Even on their earlier material their brand of noise is more no wave influenced than sheer abrasion. Calling them noise rock isn't entirely wrong.
>>
>>62584809
This is actually pretty accurate.
>>
>>62584461
shitty alt-rock
>>
What everyone's favorite song from the album?
'Cross The Breeze
>>
The logical conclusion to rock music.
>>
>>62586185
this, actually

rock has been on a slow but steady decline since 1988. now it barely exists anymore.
>>
>>62584568
fail
>>
>>62584461
The second greatest album of all time

>>62584536
Good taste tbqh
>>
noise rock for normies
>>
>>62585812
The Sprawl or Hey Joni
>>
File: 1454904074141.jpg (1008 KB, 1057x900) Image search: [Google]
1454904074141.jpg
1008 KB, 1057x900
the weakest album on this chart
>>
Dirty is better
>>
>>62584710
>>62587566
But it's not noise rock and it's 2deep4normies apart from the college kids who pretend to like it for indie cred.

The subtlety of this album goes over most people's heads.
>>
>>62584461
Slightly occasionally noisy alt-rock
>>
>>62587645
that's a contrarian opinion if I ever saw one.
fuck off back to /noise/ you autist
>>
The wrong album
>>
>>62584461
A 6/10
>>
EVOL > Daydream Nation
>>
kinda boring

the only sonic youth album that really stuck with me was EVOL and it was mostly because of the tracks Star Power and Secret Girls
>>
>>62587645
Terrible opinion.
>>
>>62587858
Daydream Nation > Sonic Youth = Confusion Is Sex = Bad Moon Rising = EVOL > Sister >>> others
>>
>>62585812
Teen Age Riot or Rain King
>>
To be honest, I enjoy Goo more.

FITE ME FGT!!X1
>>
>all these people saying that DN isnt noise rock

lol what is Silver Rocket or Rain King then? Fuck off
>>
>>62587903
it was a joke, but there are better albums on there for sure

>>62587778
>/noise/
wow you're a fucking retard you know that?
>>
>>62588005
i dont know why /mu/ hates Goo so much

Tunic and Kool Thing are all-time SY songs
>>
>>62584461
This album is so fucking fantastic. It might even be my favorite of all time. It's the perfect mix of brilliant melodies, innovative song structures, and raw emotion. It captures the urban claustrophobia and paranoia of contemporary city life better than any record I've ever heard.

>>62585812
Candle, The Sprawl, Total Trash, Hey Joni, and Teenage Riot are all timeless classics

Fuck, now I have to listen to it again
>>
>>62584581
If you don't like Teen Age Riot then idk what to tell you

That's one of the most exciting songs in the genre
>>
File: nyc.jpg (90 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
nyc.jpg
90 KB, 500x500
>pleb
s/t, Evol, Sister, DDN, Goo, Dirty
>contrarian
Bad Scaruffi Rising, CIS, Washing Machine, Murray St, Sonic Nurse, A Thousand Leaves
>patrician
pic related and Rather Ripped
>>
>>62584742
>>62584908
>>62587694
>>62587760
I'm not sure why people say this. Sonic Youth is one of the few noise rock bands I've ever heard who follows the actual definition of noise rock as "rock music that heavily incorporates atonality and dissonance". Most other "noise rock" bands I've heard just abuse distortion and scratchy lo-fi production aesthetics, while playing music that's pretty simple under the surface. Sonic Youth actually uses some really dissonant, often unresolved harmonies as well as long sections of completely atonal feedback.

This is one of those albums like LAGWAFIS that I'm pretty sure most people just don't pay any attention to when they listen to it. Either that or they stop after the first track and write the rest off for no reason.
>>
THIS IS ERIC'S TRIP
>>
>>62588339
>all their best albums in pleb tier

sure m8
>>
>>62584581
Nothing it's pretty boring. The start of their sell-out.
Their early stuff was ok try Bad Moon Rising or Confusion is sex.
>>
The only one I like is Rather Ripped
>>
>>62588244
>there are better albums on there for sure
Which ones? The only one on there I've heard that even comes close is Half Machine Lip Moves.
>>
>>62588645
KICK IT!
>>
>>62588339
i like Rather Ripped a lot, too, but c'mon
>>
what you guys think about The Eternal? I think its pretty underrated. Antenna is one of their best songa
>>
>>62584581
You're a fucking pleb, there's not much else to get

This is one of those albums where if you don't like it, that means you have bad taste in music. That's just how it is
>>
>>62584461

Listen to it with headphones and actually pay attention to what each guitar is doing and suddenly it will make sense. Best example might be The Wonder.
>>
>>62585812

Hey Joni or Silver Rocket

>>62587687

I've not heard all of SY's albums - I'm about 5 or so short - but of all the ones I have heard Dirty was my least favorite. It's not even a bad rock album but Sonic Youth adopting a grungier sound simply did not sit well with me. Compared to their usual guitar dynamics it simply sounded boring. Even EJS got that much right.

>>62587858

It's more ambitious for sure but I think DN is a much more mature record, as is Sister while we're at it.

>>62588254

Those are the only songs I recall having any real impact on me when it comes to Goo, and the latter's only because it was my first SY song.
>>
>>62588914
oh fuck yeah Antenna is solid as shit

honestly all their later material is pretty great, it's not necessarily exceptionally great but for what it is it's actually better than it's given credit for.
>>
>>62589354
>EVOL
>more ambitious than DDN
Is this a new meme?
>>
>>62589881

DN is more sprawling and mature but I'd say their vision was more sharply honed as well. On EVOL they were still feeling out their sound, resulting in some great, but offbeat tracks like In The Kingdom #19 or Secret Girls. Aside from Providence, DN sounds like it ain't got time for that kind of stuff.
>>
>>62589457
True. Probably because once you've released your best album, everything you do afterwards will always be compared to it. They couldn't top Daydream Nation no matter what they put out.
Love me some Rather Ripped.
>>
>>62590303

I still need to listen to some of their later stuff but I felt Pattern Recognition was a DN tier song.
>>
>>62590303
>They couldn't top Daydream Nation no matter what they put out

That still doesn't excuse them trying to sellout in the 90's and then rehashing their own ideas in the 2000's.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.