[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/noise/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 26
File: noisegen.jpg (93 KB, 716x483) Image search: [Google]
noisegen.jpg
93 KB, 716x483
any good 2016 noise yet?
anticipated 2016 noise?
favorite 2015 noise?

it's valentine's day.
single or not, blast some fucking noise.
>>
https://vimeo.com/takumiogata/ribcage1

What's up /noise/. I designed a new instrument recently and wanted to share about it here.

The second half of the vid has some noise and doom metal-like sounds.
Hope you dig it.
>>
IM SINGLE SO I GONNA BLAST SOME NOISE TODAY

fuck love
>>
other than distortion, what pedals do you guys use?
>>
>>62519889

any way to purchase/make dis thing? looks like it could have potential as a soundart sculpture
>>
>>62522378
I have a Mooer Pitch Box for detuning stuff
>>
>>62522916
sick
>>
>>62524591
It's pretty great. It has one setting that produces low pulses when I plug my contact mic into it.
>>
File: 20160214_012857-1.jpg (2 MB, 2119x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160214_012857-1.jpg
2 MB, 2119x1836
>>62522378

I normally use the Cathedral and Cool Cat for drones or walls, reverse setting on the Digidelay for really choppy and cut up sounding loops with tapes or a contact mic, then the bottom four as a feedback loop
>>
>>62526221
I've got a Digitech Synth Wah too, but it always ends up sounding really distinctive so I don't use it a lot unless it's first in a feedback loop or something
>>
>>62526221
>DEATH ENJOY
lol
>>
>>62526985
Got a pack of cute japanese stickers and really wanted to put them to use - pretty disappointed I couldn't get it to say Enjoy Death but hey what can ya do :^)
>>
>>62526221
how you liking that Cathedral?
>>
>>62528242
It's been working real real well for me - turning the reverb time all the way up locks in some really nice drones, plus if you've got a really loud input you can easily take it into wall territory, even more so with the EQ on the end
>>
>>62519667
noise is slow today cuz of kanye

keep this alive!
>>
>>62528468
speaking of, though, I used the cathedral really heavily for the second half of this track - posted it a couple times before but I'd still appreciate some comments :^)

https://soundcloud.com/vorpilatus/choke

also yaknow, to keep the thread goin
>>
Not letting this die
>>
>>62522378
old busted radio and mixer, i mostly do HNW anyway
>>
how do you get into noise?
>>
>>62532956
no through /mu/ or these shitty threads, that's for damn sure
>>
Anyone ever hear anything from Skull Katalog or Sewn Leather? I've got a couple of releases from the latter, though can't find much else online.
>>
>>62519667
Have you listened to that new Genocide Organ ?
>>
>>62519889
That thing is pretty cool
>>
Where should I start with Dominick Fernow ?
>>
>>62534261
body language and the history of aids were the first two major prurient albums, you can start with those
>>
>>62534261
Other than Prurient, I like his work with Vegas Martyrs, and as Christian Cosmos and Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement.
>>
>>62522378
I feel like that many distortion pedals kinda miss the point

and here's my current setup, my show setup is obviously less though.

also shilling my own music

noiseblackcat.bandcamp.com
>>
File: setup.jpg (243 KB, 1004x1776) Image search: [Google]
setup.jpg
243 KB, 1004x1776
>>62534658
Weird, picture didn't post
>>
>>62534261
Vatican Shadow or Christian Cosmos if you're a fucking faggot.
Frozen Niagara Falls if you're a pleb.
Bermuda Drain or Through the Window if you're kind of a faggot.
Time's Arrow or Cocaine Death if you're a contrarian.
Pleasure Ground or And Still, Wanting if you're a true patrician.
>>
>>62535434
what's wrong with vatican shadow and CC?
death is unity with god is one of the best things he's done with any project
>>
File: 1447393781795.jpg (28 KB, 476x476) Image search: [Google]
1447393781795.jpg
28 KB, 476x476
>>
>>62519889
mega
>>
>>62535434
>Pleasure Ground or And Still, Wanting

my negro
>>
>>62526300
Yeah, I've got the synth wah as well. I think I've abused its power too much lately. It is definitely a fun knob-twiddler in a feedback loop though.
>>
File: hijokaidanvomit.jpg (57 KB, 613x429) Image search: [Google]
hijokaidanvomit.jpg
57 KB, 613x429
bump
>>
>>62532956
Depends. You can approach noise:
from rock via noise rock (if you like Sonic Youth for instance, try The Dead C — there are plenty of other paths you could take, like Soundtracks for the Blind if you grow to enjoy the drone and collage parts),
from industrial (if you like NON and Throbbing Gristle you're already halfway there),
industrial metal via death industrial (e.g. Pharmakon, Brighter Death Now),
from EDM via industrial techno (British Murder Boys, Trade) or electro-industrial and power electronics (Prurient can get you all the way from EBM to noise),
from ambient via fuzzy ambient and "soft noise" like Yellow Swans or drone (e.g. Imperial Distortion),
from field recordings (many of them are definitely noisy/aggressive enough),
from metal maybe via black metal (or Metal Music Machine by Jazkamer, it's death metal x noise)
even from jazz via Machine Gun, Gyatso by 16-17, etc.

... Basically take any genre and find the more abstract and entropic examples (not necessarily the most aggressive ones, if you still have classic structures with rhythms and melodies you're not as close as you may think). You'll get to noise soon enough.

>>62532975
I don't know, I find that /noise/ threads are usually good.

>>62536828
What are your favourites by them? I have tried 蔵六の奇病 (Zōroku no Kibyō), Romance and that Hatsune Miku live album but I can't get into them. Not sure if they're not my thing or if I just haven't made the right choices.
>>
>>62537003
>What are your favourites by them?
My top 2 are Made in Studio and Orginals, althought Zoroku no Kibyo is a close third
>>
File: X A N A D U - EPII.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1620) Image search: [Google]
X A N A D U - EPII.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1620
https://projectxanadu.bandcamp.com/releases
>>
File: tumblr_ngpzl2ykcO1qjhlhko1_540.jpg (78 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngpzl2ykcO1qjhlhko1_540.jpg
78 KB, 540x405
>>62532956
>first time listening to noise
>venereology
>hate it
>listen to merzbeat weeks later
>love it
>listen to similar merzbow albums
>give venereology another chance
>think it's great
>can actually enjoy harsh noise now

I don't know if other people would agree, but starting off with the 'accessible' and 'listenable' Merzbow albums is what helped get me into noise (a genre i'd never thought i could get into). Now I can listen to anything noise related, still experimenting with new artists when I can.
>>
>>62532956
>facialmess
>T.E.F
>XV parówek
>bastrad noise roque astronaut
>music for smoke-filled elevators
>I am a lake of burning orchids
>brethren hail aids
>purgist
>prurient mater dolorosa
>shitnoise bastards/joli
>pure - fetor
>dead body love grace
>sissy spacek s/t
>everything john wiese ever made
>scodatura pretty in a harsh way
>world discography
>gerogerigegege in general
>the cherry point night of bloody tapes
>venta protesix
>nato uniformen
>kazuma kubota
and god bless you. this way is like playing kaizo mario but it has almost everything
>>
>>62535434
i'm new to prurient so went by this and listened to pleasure ground - kinda dull compared to Time's Arrow.

what else has he done that's more Time's Arrow than Pleasure Ground?
>>
>>62539918
i got into noise by trying to make it myself, which came from a desire to just make the most extreme, loud, cathartic sounds I could with my PC. this gave me an appreciation for how noise artists were coming up with their shit, and what they were doing that was different to me.
>>
>>62539918
honestly if you're looking to get into noise, Merzbow isn't really THE noise artist like most of /mu/ thinks him to be
I mean he's great but that title should really go to Ramleh or Jason Lescalleet if you're looking for easy to get into/enjoyable stuff
>>
File: MooerShimverb.jpg (85 KB, 776x800) Image search: [Google]
MooerShimverb.jpg
85 KB, 776x800
>>62522378
I got this pedal used for $50 and I use it all the time.

Very dreamy and washed out.
>>
>>62534682
What song(s) of yours showcase that KORG in the front the most? I wanna hear what that sounds like.
>>
>>62534682
Yooooooo
>>
File: A-55364-1431298011-5372.jpeg.jpg (16 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
A-55364-1431298011-5372.jpeg.jpg
16 KB, 300x298
Can anyone point me to, or upload a pack of material to start with listening to The Grey Wolves? Can't find a torrent and getting slow connection on slsk.
>>
>>62541870
I can put together a pack in a bit, but if you're in a hurry rutracker has a Grey Wolves discog pack.

http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2295588

Instructions on how to sign up (yeah it's reddit, but whatever it's helpful): https://www.reddit.com/r/trackers/comments/2guivv/is_anyone_interested_in_a_rutrackerorg_tutorial/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WI3oXQemfg
>>
>>62542038
Thanks, I'll see into getting that torrent. I'd very much appreciate if you could upload stuff not on it!
>>
>>62542114
Here's the Genocide Organ + The Grey Wolves "Absolute Truth" split

https://mega.nz/#!UFFVUbqA!5x19phMJfZYmhlmc4xs6TL6Cln_TXMMvK5i1Bdl2Aaw
>>
>>62542334
Some newer stuff, excellent. Thank you!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beW7sqeN91k
Something I made
>>
>>62519889
Hey I saw you post that on a fb group. Looks and sounds awesome, congrats !
>>
>>62544564
starts off dreamy, reminds me of Iamlakeofburningorchids not cause of everything but cause it has the vibe of hipster-noise, like with that burnout atmosphericks and freeflowing melodies. I really like how you utilise beats in here, not the boring repettive kind, but free flowing. Tho it kinda goes for that one texture for too long, like I am bored by 2:27. Also that change, you know, dropping all the burnout is unfitting i think. Also it has clear ending which is good cause some tracks posted in here don't have even that
>>
Dope ass Tupac remix bruh

https://soundcloud.com/cmcoyne89/tupac-fuck-all-yall
>>
File: jap-noiser.jpg (169 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
jap-noiser.jpg
169 KB, 480x480
>>62531654
this

here are zaiden's 2015 albums:

http://zaiden.bandcamp.com/album/m-mou-sou

http://zaiden.bandcamp.com/album/e-life-is-life

http://zaiden.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-u-ha
>>
File: R-376109-1174451138.jpeg.jpg (115 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
R-376109-1174451138.jpeg.jpg
115 KB, 500x492
bumping with pic related, which i'm listening to.
>>
>>62541186
https://soundcloud.com/blackcatnoise
Everything on here and everything i've recorded on the bandcamp other than the Equation track primarily future the ms-20

>>62541746
Ayeeeee boiiii
>>
Would you guys be interested if I started dumping pics of my set-up/gear ? I have a bunch of shit (pedals, tape players, homemade instruments) that I normally leave sleeping in the closet, but I feel like sharing today.
>>
>>62546965
Do it!
>>
>>62547734
Alright. First is my current set-up, part 1. It's fairly small compared to what I used to have before. The goal was to have all the electronics inside a pedal-board, the 2/3 being taken by the tape player. It's a 4-track player with the erase head unplugged. I use it with blank tape loops, so this way the sounds get overdubbed over and over. The pedal on the left are used to process both the input signal from various instruments AND the send signal from the tape player, meaning this can create some nasty feedback and crumbling tape echo. The homemade boxes are passive mixers used to dispatch the various signal. The small tape player on the left can be used as an external sound source, or share the tape loop with the 4-track.

Feel free to ask any question.
>>
Part 2 of my current set-up. I have already posted a couple times my caveman instruments, with strings and springs. These instruments are made with an aluminium (good resonance) and have a contact mic affixed to it with on/off switch.

What's new is the small cymbal with the spring lodged in its hole. This is an awesome noise maker, because you can bow or hit the spring and have resonate with the cymbal. I have tried this with a huge 24" ride and it gave great result. All the droning of a cymbal without the percussive aspect.

Bottom is the box of tape loops.
>>
File: cover.jpg (833 KB, 808x808) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
833 KB, 808x808
ripped a few cds that i bought recently, i remember having a hard time finding decent rips of these releases so here are good ones! all flac

(2004) Prurient - Fossil [FLAC]
>noise, ambient, power electronics
https://mega.nz/#!etZRwaTY!vg-mVUfE9d06Qvi7T-PpZlqFi87e-lkYbWijf7OZbOQ
>>
File: cover.jpg (295 KB, 1200x1073) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
295 KB, 1200x1073
>>62548549
(2008) Oscillating Innards - Nadir Emergence [FLAC]
>noise, ambient, power electronics
https://mega.nz/#!C15A2D4A!3Kbo1izibQJGdEUZnZHGvhKCfLUXcdeE5JUnXd0_AQE
>>
>>62540204
time's arrow was the companion EP to bermuda drain so listen to that

bermuda drain was actually going to be a double album containing all the tracks on time's arrow, but fernow made the decision to split it to keep the themes cohesive and to avoid being too overbearing (iirc)
>>
>>62548549
if there's one prurient album for which i wish i could have sat in on the recording sessions, it's this one
>>
>>62548092
whoa thats awesome, hey i've always wondered about those 4track cassette portastudios, when you adjust the varispeed/pitchcontrol can you do that in the middle of playback/recording and adjust the speed live as you work the knob?
>>
>>62548814
god yes. it's probably my favourite recording of his ever

what's cool is that it was pretty much a full band lineup, including kris lapke (who recorded it too). lots of guitars, synths and extra vocalists according to the booklet
>>
>>62548814
also it was a totally live recording from a show, no editing at all!

i remember reading somewhere - this might have been from a different album - that the room acoustics were completely fucked. standing waves everywhere and frequencies would just collide all over the place, which gave it a really unique sound
>>
>>62548843
Yes ! And yes can even twist the knob during recording to get bending effect during playback.

Few pedals coming.
>>
File: cover.jpg (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
4 KB, 225x225
>>62548664
(2015) Prurient - Annihilationist [FLAC]
>noise, ambient, drone
https://mega.nz/#!bhARmK5Q!g2Kgzrc7Qtt0VR-IzVT3CdjUln3gxeALBcbk4rpkt_k

apparently this reissue on tesco is a 'rework', but i can't tell much of a difference from material on the original 2011 cassette
>>
File: cover.jpg (118 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
118 KB, 500x500
>>62549077
apologies for ant cover scan
>>
VERY few pedals actually. I live in a small appartment so I drop stuff at my parents house.

Middle black box is not a pedal but Skychord Deses Parva. It's three oscillators + volume control, nice square-wave drones, although a bit repetitive.
>>
>>62548873
yeah, lapke, ben from dropdead, jvibg and some other people
i wonder if he did any live performances(in front of an audience, that is) with an extended lineup like that
i remember reading an interview with him around the time of bermuda drain where he was talking about the 2-piece prurient shows he did with wes eisold, and him saying that it wasn't the first time he did prurient shows with additional personnel, but i've never found any other info on those other shows anywhere

>>62548950
that was about black vase IIRC, in the interview he did with the quietus last year
fossil and black vase have a pretty similar feel to me though, there's a lot of air and space to those recordings
>>
File: roly-porter-third-law.jpg (395 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
roly-porter-third-law.jpg
395 KB, 800x800
>70+ replies
>Not mentioning Roly Porter's Third Law

the explosion at 4:17 of the first song gets me every time.
>>
>>62549247
i stand corrected, jvibg wasn't on fossil the album, he was on fossil the track, on the prurient/akitsa split
>>
>>62532956
Seeing it live
>>
>>62549271
My friend recommended this to me since he knew that I liked Tim Hecker and stuff.

I went in not expecting much but holy fuck. It sounds really amazing.
>>
>>62549271
I need to listen to Roly Porter again. I used to love Life Cycle Of A Massive Star when it came but, but revisited it again recently and hated it... It just seemed really overblown and way too 'epic' in a cheesy crescendo kind of way. Will definitely give this a chance though.
>>
>>62549450

Yeah I had Spotify recommend him to me since I play a lot of Fuck Buttons and Ben Frost. I don't usually like their noise/drone recommendations but this one is just massive.
>>
>>62549271
I think Life Cycle Of A Massive Star was better but this kind of sound has been something I've been listening to a lot of recently.
http://www.factmag.com/2014/12/04/power-ambient-the-sound-of-2014-if-you-were-listening-closely/
they called it power ambient here and I think that's kinda a shit word but I think the general trend is cool as hell. eric holm - andoya is my favorite in the style.
>>
>>62549805

"Power Ambient." I like that.
I'm taking a listen to Eric Holm now. "Stave" was the first track that came up on my search. Is that the best one?
>>
>>62549992
I couldn't tell you, I listen to the album as a unit so I don't really know how the track names match up to the sounds. if you like that listen to everything put out by the label subtext
>>
>>62550111

Yeah I clicked from Holm to emptyset and it's been solid.
>>
https://blunicorn.bandcamp.com/track/a-d-d-edit-aka-post-blackened-folkgays

i play in a noisy artpunk band. This is every song from last week's gig recorded on a shoebox recorder and played at once. it sounds neat.

I was asked to do a full-on noise set tomorrow night with some guys that we get booked with a lot. I have a couple of shoebox recorders that i've been getting a lot of field noise and stuff on for a few days. Gonna take my shitty two-input mixer, run the field recording tapes into one channel and no input the other channel by splitting the output of the mixer and running one line to my guitar amp and one line back into input 1.

i'll have a bunch of shitty danelectro pedals and some homemade clones on the no-input chain. i have no idea how to make "real noise" but whatevs, these artpunk people will pretend to like anything.
>>
What's the blackened noise equivalent of Going Places?
>>
>>62550375
probably something by gnaw their tounges
>>
>>62550199
8/10
not even really into noise
would pay money to see live
would pay money to see live, sober
>>
>>62550375
>>62550415
on harder thought it's this: https://gnawtheirtongues.bandcamp.com/album/eschatological-scatology-2009
>>
So what do you hook the pedals up to to produce the tone? A microphone?
>>
>>62550594

some people use noise makers, like simple synthesizers and whatnot, some people just run the output from a mixer back into its input so that it makes a feedback loop, some folks use an array of pre-recorded sounds on tapes or records or whatever that they manipulate.
>>
>>62550793

i have 9volt batteries with pennies taped to them that fit perfectly on my keyboard keys, so i'll hold down a chord with the weights and then use pedals and eq to get weird.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/user-389611912-731122444/1a-1

Some noise I just finished
>>
>>62549271
got a link to this ? ?
Im a lazy fuck
>>
>>62550858
>https://soundcloud.com/user-389611912-731122444/1a-1

this sounds nice and organic but I assume you used a computer? i used to make really warm sounding tracks like this with two small casio keyboards and the usual effects rig shit.
>>
>>62551065
yeah i used a computer, what I mainly did was have 1 distortion lead and then control two different copies at different pitches, then fade the volume those two duplicates in and out rapidly
>>
>>62532956
these threads should just have answers to these FAQs in the OP. The most common question being "what is noise and why do people like it?"
>>
>>62550964

>ctrl+t
>type "roly porter third law"

too lazy for that? Damn, son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVZjxlerb1A
>>
>>62551336
i think people should just stop responding to them to be perfectly honest
there was a time when those sorts of posts were generally ignored and i think the threads were better off for it
>>
>>62548778
thanks!
>>
>>62541870
If I were you I'll be interested in their side projects too, specially Opera for Infantry

https://www.discogs.com/Opera-For-Infantry-20th-Century-Genocide/release/1755999

>Tfw side b is over 40 minutes long
>>
What should I do if I want to get more into noise?
Not producing, just finding good ones to listen to.
>>
what sort of shows do you guys see more of an audience at? i've done dedicated noise shows where it was just the artists and our friends, and i was invited to do an art party at a big party house that was ok but most people ended up leaving (whatevs, it's noise y'know), but now i've been playing drums and doing most of the writing for a reeeeaalllly noisy shoegaze band- but there's still discernible rhythm and structure to the songs.

anyway, tl;dr
i'm supposed to play a full-on noise gig at an actual art show with actual artists and do you think i should just have my shoegaze band bring extra pedals and crank it to 11? i don't want to ruin these people's art exhibit lol..
>>
>>62554123
Hey if they asked you, then they probably know what you're gonna be like. How long is the set?

>>62554116
There's occasionally interesting gems posted here. There's already been some great links posted above.
>>
>>62554116

Whatever you do for finding other similar artists in different genres should work for noise.

Click on Spotify related artists, look at last.fm recommendations, make a thread on /mu/, hell even reddit has come through with decent suggestions for me now and then.
>>
>>62554255
Yes, I seem to have trouble finding decent noise.

Maybe I could look into Deathpile a bit more; his GR release is one of my favourite albums of all time.
>>
>>62554198

the guy that booked me said, "you know- do the noise thing. whatever, do whatever you want."

i haven't done a noise show in probably a year. i think i'm just gonna bring my rig and have my band play really loud and whatnot, and loosen up the structure some, and just do our normal songs with noise for rhythm. i can get something going pretty easily.

i'd really like to just do a full-on face rape noise set but these are gonna be people in coats and gowns looking at statues and shit. i feel like everyone involved would probably like to keep a few patrons around. idunno. first world problems.

oh yeah, noise set is about 15 minutes, typically, band can do as long as we're told pretty much.
>>
what are some good noise releases made with synths? i've been trying to make synth noise lately, hopefully ending up with a collection of tracks to put online. i've been listening to some merzmorphosis and that two disasters tape that was posted a while ago. any others?
>>
>>62554654

Fuck Buttons come to mind, but probably because they're my favorite noise act. Brainfreeze has a lot of good synth action after the apocalypse-army drum intro.
>>
>>62554422
Some free-noise thing would be great, maybe not full on face rape though. I can imagine some sort of theatrics going down well too. Move around or something, get immersive with the audience.
>>
File: folder.jpg (90 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
90 KB, 600x597
Dammit Skullflower is good.
>>
>>62555256
this is cool. looking for some noisier examples but brainfreeze has some nice tones and drones
>>
File: a1734607491_16.jpg (186 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a1734607491_16.jpg
186 KB, 700x700
What do people think of Kevin Drumm's new releases? Bout' to give this a listen.

>>62532956
Controlled Bleeding's Knees and Bones took my noise virginity. It might work for you too.
>>
How does /noise/ feel about rhythmic noise? I can't help but feel like a hack if my noise doesn't have at least SOME rhythm to it.
>>
>>62556621
I think you can inevitably pick up rhythm in a lot of noise anyway. As long as it doesn't end up sounding just like breakcore or something then I think it's fine.
>>
>>62556770
I feel you. It's just... I don't know how to explain it, I guess. I like zoning out to drones when I'm in the mood, and even noise walls as long as they aren't piercing. But when it boils down to making noise, I like just layering tracks over and over, effecting them as they go, but a lot of it is done on the fly (dropping tracks in and out, increasing/decreasing effects, etc.), but at the end of the day I almost feel bad because little is done with predetermined intention. And even though I set out to make abstract noise I have such a deep seeded love of hip hop beat music and groovy riffs from funk, metal, and rock I feel like if I'm not making anything worthwhile if I can't bob my head to it.

TLDR I'm drunk and having a musical existential artistic crisis
>>
Do you guys have ANY release by this projects by any chance? I'll be really, really interested in listening to these.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/343063-Vandal-X
https://www.discogs.com/artist/499998-VictorIm
https://www.discogs.com/artist/31480-Irritant

Please, it may be some really interesting find, all of the above made power electronics in the 80s, and are super obscure.
>>
>>62556770
Agreed.
I like that kind of rhythm just seems to come naturally from the frequencies playing with each other, rather than some drum machine or something laying the foundation.
Some of the best reactions to noise I've seen at shows is when the sound kinda reaches that ebb and flow heartbeat pulse and everybody kinda slow-mo headbangs to it.
It sure beats when everybody kneels down and bow their heads during HNW sets while the performer just sets his pedals and then stands back, crosses his arms and/or takes sips from his beer.
>>
>>62557260
Yeah I get what you mean about predetermined intention. Personally I like a lack of intention, because I find it difficult to piece together coherent structures. It can take a while before you can find a happy medium really, as long as you're comfortable showcasing what you've made.

If you think about it, having no predetermined intention is in itself an intention.
>>
>>62539918
friend showed me Pulse Demon and felt it was exactly what I had been searching for
>>
>>62551449
A monk asked Dongshan Shouchu, "What is Buddha?" Dongshan said, "Three pounds of flax."
>>
File: richter091130_560.jpg (56 KB, 560x404) Image search: [Google]
richter091130_560.jpg
56 KB, 560x404
>>62557559
This is exactly what I'm striving for, homie - something akin to, like you said, a heartbeat. Like being in a womb as blowhard as that sounds. A natural beat that's being ingrained in us since conception. And you're totally spot on about the wall sets that are (in my eyes) no different than the stereotype of a shitty DJ hitting play on his laptop. I strive for a groove that's almost invisible if that makes any sense.

>>62557651
>I find it difficult to piece together coherent structures.
Yeah, I'm struggling to find a balance between something that's different than chorus-verse-chorus-chorus yada yada and a bullshit smathering of sound. I come from a visual art background (film and later to painting) and, again forgive me if I sound like an asshole, would like to make stuff that is an audio equivalent to a Richter or Rothko painting. Like, loose splotchy colors and lines that still have a colorful and pleasing aspect to them. Bold and open to interpretation but still have something tangible rather than a random mishmash of strokes and splatters. A Pollack instead of a blank canvas with a slash through it or a can of shit that is supposed to be deep only because I said it's supposed to be.
>>
>>62558757
I come from a vis art background too, so I can definitely see what you're trying to achieve.

While I haven't used them, tape loops can certainly be your friend. Cassettes in general even. Get a contact mic too, and try to pick up sounds off of your surroundings. Collage them all together. Interplay between mediums I've found is key to making worthwhile noise. It would be very difficult to come up with something that hasn't already been done, interesting sounding noise is what I strive for.

Take a listen through some of my stuff if you'd like
https://soundcloud.com/minimalimpactnoise
>>
>>62558757
As soon as I wrote that comment I was thinking though. I mean, I was kind poking fun. I think I understand what goes into doing HNW, and it doesn't exactly translate to a thrilling visual/physical performance from the artist, but you can appreciate the amplitude and physicality of the sound itself, so.
You ever hear of Hard.? It's a side-project, but they parody that kind of stand-there-do-nothing HNW thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtd-glvESqQ

About freeing up the creative process. I feel the same I think. I think we've moved past the "Fuck compose, Fuck melody, ART IS OVER yadda yadda yadda" anti-art statements, but free improvisation for me is the most honest expression for sound/music.
I agree with >>62559116 about amassing a variety of sources and "painting" with them that way. Definitely the classic contact mic. Mic your table, your wall, mic your cup of coffee or even try to get your own heartbeat??!

Damn, I wanna hook my gear and record and I have to go to bed in like 20 minutes...
>>
>>62559396
Cover yourself in contact mics, and record your sleep
>>
>>62559116
Listening now. Very cool. Kind of reminds me a bit of some noise project called Dust Hag that I saw posted on here but... better lol. Did you use a mbira?
>>
>>62559116

How can I make good contact mics and tape loops? Any noise tutorials out there or something?
>>
>>62557260
>>62556621
lol can you not use that cunt's face for your reaction images?
>>
>>62559698
Haha, my bad.
>>
>>62559396
>"harsh wall eating contest"
My fucking sides
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnxjAR4KkBk
>>
>>62559570
Yeah that's a mbira. I've been meaning to check out Dust Hag, might as well go do that now.

>>62559594
There's plenty of tutorials on how to make loops. I suggest looking at an artist called Amulets, he posts on r/cassetteculture quite often.
>>
>>62537003
Also from 20th century classical and musique concrete stuff through junk noise like early merzbow or kk null (that's what I did)
>>
>>62559396
Lol that's great
>>
>>62559698
Who is it?
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.