[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just finished reading Scaruffi's analysis of the Beatles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: scaruffi.jpg (30 KB, 548x308) Image search: [Google]
scaruffi.jpg
30 KB, 548x308
So I just finished reading Scaruffi's analysis of the Beatles in its entirety (not just "the fact that"), and I'm left wondering if this guy is trolling or if he's actually believes anything he's saying.
First off, I admit that he raises some valid points about their musicianship and some elements of their songwriting, but most of the time when he's analyzing their success and acclaim he's just dead wrong - factually wrong. Like he's literally pulling sentences out of his ass and stating them as something that's universally obvious. Here are some examples:

>Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles
>.... it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth

Those are two right off the bat. The first is just a plain lie, and the second, though based more in personal taste, is still willfully ignorant, especially where technological innovation is concerned. Even a fierce critic of the Beatles must concede that their psychedelic work was technologically groundbreaking, or at the very least popularized state-of-the art techniques - regardless of what they may think of the music itself.
Scaruffi also embarrassingly downplays the Beatles' influence on popular music and other musicians to the point where he might as well be writing an alternate history story. He acts like such a well-versed expert, and he certainly knows his music history and can present a good critique, but on this issue he barely has any clue.
>>
I still wonder why /mu/ thinks so highly of Scaruffi.
>>
he's an autistic full-of-himself wannabe-intellectual asshole wanker.
>>
>>62476100
Because he's contrarian af
>>
>>62475976
Just like you say he has some valid points but lemme save you some time: he hates that the Beatles completely outshine all of the other things being done in rock at the time.
>>
>>62475976
he was just mad one day that the beatles get so much attention.
>>
friendly reminder that scaruffi is essentially a nobody outside of /mu/
>>
he's an idiot
how do you not know this already

he hasn't even listened to all the albums he's reviewed
>>
>>62475976
He§s an idiot who likes circuscore
>>
>>62475976
Scaruffi is clearly slightly insane, have you ever explored that site of his outside music? He makes lists of fucking everything, he even has this utterly bizarre page consisting of pictures of random people he's having tea with or some shit.
>>
Nothing in your post has anything to back up your claims that he is factually wrong.
>>
>>62475976
>So I just finished reading Scaruffi's analysis of the Beatles in its entirety
how does it feel to waste your precious lifetime?
>>
>>62476238
>this life
>precious
wew
>>
Is there anything worse in the world than butthurt Beatles fans?
>>
>>62476100
I'm yet to learn about someone with better music taste
>>
>>62476238
>posting this on 4chan
is this supposed to be ironic?
>>
He gave Revolver a 5 and a 6,5 to The Black Parade.
>>
I find it funny how the people who dismiss Scaruffi as a "contrarian" or whatever are the same people who watch theneedledrop and read p4k
>>
File: Liquid Scaruffi.jpg (246 KB, 912x1045) Image search: [Google]
Liquid Scaruffi.jpg
246 KB, 912x1045
>"Beatles' "Aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll. It replaced syncopated African rhythm with linear Western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles."

I'm almost certain there are at least 50 better ways to phrase this.
>>
>>62476450
wut. If anything, it brought greater diversity to the genre by basing their psychedelic sound off of traditional Indian movement from Sgt. Pepper onward.
>>
>>62476481
you are simply wrong, and there's nothing funny about your ignorance
>>
>>62476375
based scruffy doing it again
>>
>paying attention to any music reviewer ever.
>>
>>62476284
butthurt radiohead fan
>>
>>62476100
Half of it's just shitposting, the other half of it is because >>62476138
>>
>>62475976
Beatles are overrated end of story.
>>
>>62476648
You're right, i'm sure MCR are better than The Beatles.
>>
File: funnyfrog.jpg (87 KB, 640x633) Image search: [Google]
funnyfrog.jpg
87 KB, 640x633
>fell for the scaruffi meme
First day on /mu/ huh?
>>
LUSTY
>>
ARGONIAN
>>
HARRISON
>>
Reminder that the Beatles invented folk-rock, but he refers to them as "Merseybeat" whenever he's forced to acknowledge that.
>>
>>62476757
>Beatles fan being this butthurt.
>Coming up with a shitty dead band.
As expected
>>
>implying he likes anything but circus music
Why do you think he gave Sgt. Pepper's a 7 famalam?
>>
>>62476965
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ4WE0GviLg
>>
>>62476974
Dude, when i was growing up i was a MCR fan, and i still like The Black Parade, even while the lyrics suck.
>>
>>62476757
He gave two Beatles albums 7/10, highest MCR rating is 6.5/10
>>
>>62477401
Only grills and faggots listen to MCR.
So which one are you ?
>>
>>62477684
Both.
>>
>>62477388
Good song, but "I Should Have Known Better" and "I'll Be Back" both pre-date this by months, while "I'm A Loser" came out at the same time.
>>
File: such lust.jpg (54 KB, 314x150) Image search: [Google]
such lust.jpg
54 KB, 314x150
>>62475976
LUSTY NEGRO ATTITUDES
U
S
T
Y

N
E
G
R
O

A
T
T
I
T
U
D
E
S
>>
>>62477542
The average rating between The Beatles' albums is 4,71. The average rating between MCR's is 5,87.
>>
>>62475976
>that young girl in the background
kek, never noticed this
>>
The fact that so many Americans still believe it should be illegal to marry a 12-year-old only tells you how far America still is from becoming a serious culture. The Europeans have long recognized that the greatest relationships of all times are between male adults and female adolescents, who are the most biologically fit to produce offspring, as well as the most physically attractive. Followers of the Muslim faith rank the highly controversial Aisha over all of their prophet Mohammed’s other wives, who were far past the prime age for reproduction. Americans are still blinded by puritan values. Adult females are more mentally developed than adolescents (not true, by the way), therefore they must be the greatest partners. Europeans engaged in relationships with adolescent European girls in the middle ages, radical Islamists engage in relationships with adolescent Muslim girls in the present. Americans are often totally ignorant of the virtues of relationships with adolescent girls, they barely know the biological benefits. No wonder they will think that sexual relations with 12-year-old girls should be criminalized.
>>
>>62476375
The Black parade is good. If the album was made by some obscure band and not My Chemical Romance you gayboys would be praising it like the faggots you are.
>>
>>62477920
that doesn't mean anything you fucking idiot
>>
>>62478077
I already said i like it anon.
>>
>>62476965
>Beatles invented folk-rock
You beatles fags are just as bad as scaruffi
>>
>>62478148
Not the same guy bro
>>62478077
>>
>>62478179
Feel free to show me some folk-rock released prior to A Hard Day's Night.
>>
File: 1447351706305.jpg (18 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1447351706305.jpg
18 KB, 499x499
>Beatles fags still asshurt
>>
>>62476965
>The term "folk rock" was coined by the U.S. music press to describe the Byrds' music in June 1965, the month in which the band's debut album was issued.
But then, you probably also think Helter Skelter invented metal.
>>
>>62478965
Why does it matter what the music press called it?

The Beatles combined Bob Dylan with the Merseybeat sound in early 1964. The Beau Brummels and the Byrds were inspired by them to do the same thing a few months later.

>But then, you probably also think Helter Skelter invented metal.
You see, this is the problem. Pedo and his drones are so bum-flustered over the "Le Beatles invented RAWK!!!" crowd that you pretend they didn't do anything influential or significant.
>>
>>62477920
james blake's average is 6.75, beefheart's is 6.625
>>
File: 1389859073010.png (505 KB, 1075x576) Image search: [Google]
1389859073010.png
505 KB, 1075x576
>People actually take the opinions of a man who thinks refrigerators are sentient beings seriously

And his take on the Beatles was more of a rant than any sort of review or criticism towards their music.
>>
>Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles
Contemporary musicians that he considered to be good almost never spoke highly of the beatles
>.... it had no technical innovations
That's true (>inb4 tape loops, despite tape music having already been used in rock music before)
>it had no creative depth
That's actually wrong though

Still, his Beatles and Radiohead reviews are more of a critique on the music fans than the music.
>>
>>62476284
Literally nothing, I once had a middle class white kid try to fight me because I called The Beatles shit. He was fucking seething. I mean I was being a contrarian on purpose but his tears of frustration were delicious.
>>
>>62479652
>you will never have a minifridge waifu who hums you to sleep and greets you in the morning with cool beers
>>
>>62476284
The Scaruffi Talk Page on Wikipedia is a hell because of the butthurt Beatles fans.
>>
he's a meme you dip
>>
File: KoDr0Xi.jpg (31 KB, 640x350) Image search: [Google]
KoDr0Xi.jpg
31 KB, 640x350
>>62480648
>you will hear the cries of a beaten refrigerator after having too much a beer
>>
>>62476284
The Beatles were not a terribly interesting band, but their fans were and still are an interesting phenomenon. I can only name religious fundamentalists as annoying (and as threatening) as Beatles fans, and as persevering in sabotaging anyone who dares express an alternate opinion of their faith. They have turned me into some kind of Internet celebrity not because of the 6,000 bios that i have written, not because of the 800-page book that i published, not because of the 30 years of cultural events that i organized, but simply because i downplayed the artistic merits of the Beatles, an action that they consider as disgraceful as the 2001 terrorist attacks.
>>
>>62476160
he has a wikipedia page, thousands of facebook friends/twitter followers, and has had a following since the 1980s. you're an idiot.
>>
File: 1448588365572.jpg (9 KB, 255x198) Image search: [Google]
1448588365572.jpg
9 KB, 255x198
>>62475976
if dubs Paul McCartney and Ringo will be destroyed with scaruffi-meme-magic and the Beatles will cease to exist
>>
>>62476301
John Peele and Lester Bangs
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.