[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we really considered electronic music art? Art is something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4
File: aphex-twin-logo.jpg (18 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
aphex-twin-logo.jpg
18 KB, 480x480
Can we really considered electronic music art? Art is something physical, something live. You go to an art exhibition to see the art live, to see the paintstrokes that physically define the images. You go to opera to see the sets, the pit orchestra, take in the story. Electronic music is not live or physical, it in essence does not exist. It's the equivalent of online web comics.
>>
boobie poopie stinkie doo doo boob boob boob
>>
>>62463242
So you're saying it has an equivalent tangibility to that of film or animation or interactive visual art, all of which are objectively artistically superior to the medium of music?
>>
>>62463242
no because eletronic music isnt music
>>
>>62463242
Do you even listen to electronic? Not my favorite type of music but the range of landscapes and emotions that can be expressed by it are limitless.

Your definition of art is wrong anyway, you didn't think it through.
>>
>>62463346
Films are not art, nor is photography. Nothing that doesn't exist in a physical realm is art.
>>62463394
I've listened to much more of it than you guaranteed.
>>
>>62463242
Electronic music can be both live and physical, and many electronic musicians have had pioneering and revelatory views on psychoacoustics.
>>
>>62463429
If you're playing from a DAW or similarly digitally conceived sound then no, it cannot be live.
Obviously there's a difference between using a turntable, which has an actual physical effect acting upon the digital and thus a live experience, and using a DAW.
>>
>>62463419
The only real art is performance art, the lowest, most pathetic art form
Now I know this is bait.
>>>62463461
By its very nature Modular synthesis is more "live" than most acoustic performances
>>
>>62463488
I get confused on what music is modular synthesis. Post some?
I get the feeling it's stuff like Autechre where it's evolving based on parameters but, since it's still not physical, it does not exist as art.
>>
>>62463242
>not live
>not physical
do you even know anything about electronic music?
>>
>>62463527
It's a physical instrument in a physical space you fucking dip shit, which is totally beside the point there is absolutely no definition of art that implies it's limited to the tangible. Shouldn't you get off your Apple iPhone 6 plus and be paying attention in class?
>>
>>62463569
Again, if it involves turntables which are physical actions creating a physical effect on a sound, that's different from a DAW or otherwise software synthesized sound.
>>62463589
Are you going to name any music? Or was I right about Autechre?
>>
>>62463603
Photography is cited as a major art form in every dictionary definition, most high Art is in fact intangible, you fuckhead
>>
>>62463652
>most high Art is in fact intangible
Painting
Sculpture
Opera and live music in general
Plays

What high art am I missing that makes up a majority of high art, and is intangible? The above are all tangible, physical events to witness.
>>
then that makes it science
>>
>>62463692
Everything but painting is far from high art contemporarily. This is bait right?
>>
everyone in this thread is getting memed on
>>
>>62463734
How is opera and music not high art?
>>
>>62463747
High art is defined by cultural values, completely subject to the times. If we're doing a top 4, that would be
film
animation
visual art
applied art
>>
>>62463747
>>62463692
>>62463242
>>62463419
Were you serious with all this shit? Did you think you could just infer what shit means and talk out of your ass about it?
>>
>>62463814
lol
Where did you get your education?
>>
>>62463890
is your cunt that sore since i fucked you so hard up there
>>
>>62463947
Are you saying you don't have an education to back this up?
I can just tell you that animation and film are just as garbage as pop music but that's not conducive to discussion.

Where did you get your education?
>>
>>62463984
Does it matter?
I could be making shit up and have absolutely no knowledge about this at all, talking out of my ass like you and I'd still be right and you'd still be wrong. If you disagree with me so fundamentally why aren't you correcting my egregious misuse of art terminology?
>>
You are all so fucking embarrassing. This board needs to be euthanised.
>>
>>62463242

Incredibly bad definition of what is "art".
>>
>>62463394
I agree with you on the limitless potential, but I HATE nearly all sounds used. My loss, I know.
>>
>>62464064
So you're saying you don't have an education for this.
>>
>>62463984
>all films are bad because i've never sought out art film because i have shit taste

>>62464107
>everyone is stupid but me
yeah, we're the embarrassing ones...

>>62464141
Why are you the only other person to bring that shit up? it's ridiculous.

>>62464170
Have you listened to early electronic music? That might be more to your liking, many of the soundscapes have a more organic quality.

>>62464184
I do.
>>
>>62464247
>because i've never sought out art film
No, it's because films aren't live or physical.
Go on then, where did you get your education? You're VERY resistant to elaborating.
>>
>>62464274
I don't give a shit because neither of us can prove it either way. If you're so interested in art school, where did you go to art school? The toilet of your community college doesn't count.
>>
>>62464370
Florida State University College of Music.

Your turn.
>>
>>62464386
Are you jaded that they taught you utter bullshit, or jaded that you spent four years leaning a composite element of a lower art form or both?
>>
>>62464247
>Have you listened to early electronic music? That might be more to your liking, many of the soundscapes have a more organic quality.

Not much. Got recs?
>>
>>62464445
Hmm you can't name yours?
>>
>>62464247

Nobody cares about your awful opinions, t b h
>>
>>62463242
Can we really consider art music art? Art is something physical, something live. You go to an art exhibition to see the art live, to see the paintstrokes that physically define the images. You go to opera to see the sets, the pit orchestra, take in the story. Art music is not live or physical, it in essence does not exist. It's the equivalent of online web comics.

I don't see how a bunch of notes on a score is considered music 2bh
>>
>>62464496
Wait you went to a music college and you don't know what a modular synth is? You don't have a clue what the most revolutionary and impactful musical device in hundreds of years was? You don't know about its close ties with experimental jazz in it's twilight years? This is a joke.

>>62464491
It's hard for me to recommend you anything when I don't know what you don't like about what you've heard. If you haven't heard a lot you probably haven't heard anything like these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kIa0HS9CQ

This is newer I just plug it when I can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E4ctkWL-OI

>>62464570
still mad i fucked your pussy huh?
>>
>>62464723
Both fantastic from what I've heard so far, thanks. Is there any way I can search for more of these almost concrete sounds?
>>
>>62464723
>You don't have a clue what the most revolutionary and impactful musical device in hundreds of years was?
Where did you get your educatipn? They taught you poorly.
>>
>>62463242
This is b8, but electronic music started as avant garde art music and slowly devolved into african repetitions.
>>
>>62464873
You can't even spell it you daft cunt.
>>
>>62464913
So nowhere then?
>>
>>62463242
>art is X and not Y because I say so
>X isn't art because of bullshit reasons that I made up

Almost everything can be appreciated as art. Art has no such narrow definition.

What you really meant to say, OP, was this:
>I don't like electronic music, so it isn't art!
>>
>>62463527
There's no such thing as modular synthesis. There's modular synths, which are synths made up of smaller 'modules' that perform specific operations patched together manually by the user, but modular synthesis isn't a thing like additive, subtractive or FM synthesis.
>>
>>62464723

You've literally said nothing in anything you've posted. Your self-importance is fucking laughable.
>>
File: garsonplantasia.jpg (286 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
garsonplantasia.jpg
286 KB, 1400x1400
>>62464491
whimsical and comfy as fuck
>>
There's so much b8 in this topic and so many people falling for it idk which one is worse.
>>
>>62464882
Coming from a synthesist who owns vintage analogue gear and idolized that period, If you know where to look it's better than it's ever been.

>>62464932
he's not me everyone just hates you.

>>62464873
The advent of electronic music, through the devices that caused a polar shift in music and forever changed it in a way that hasn't been seen in hundreds of years, maybe ever, isn't important? Tell me what's more important that they only teach you about in Florida.

>>62464847
I hate to say it but looking up experimental electronic often yields great results as shitty as it is to do. Im assuming you've heard mu basics like OPN and Emeralds?

>>62465047
modular synthesis is what you do with modular synths, but i know what you mean, it's not a type of synthesis in the way modal or fm is

>>62465067
stilllllmadddddddd
>>
File: SNmMCQV.png (253 KB, 720x529) Image search: [Google]
SNmMCQV.png
253 KB, 720x529
>>62464913
>>
>>62465100
>The advent of electronic music, through the devices that caused a polar shift in music and forever changed it in a way that hasn't been seen in hundreds of years, maybe ever, isn't important? Tell me what's more important that they only teach you about in Florida.
First, tell me where you were taught. You seem to avoid this a lot.
>>
>>62465075
Seconding this.
>>
You're all perfectly entitled to define art however you like

Other people might not agree with you but it doesn't matter
>>
>>62465126
>first
Then what, you'll blow my mind with all the arguments you've been holding back about how art can only be in the moment and physical?
What's the point, I could look up the most prestigious art school in the fucking universe and tell you I went there. You seem more interested in your shitty college than art or its discussion.

>>62465212
this is wrong though, art's value is subjective,but its actuality and technical aspects aren't. I fucking hate photography, it is 100% pureblood art

>>62465075
I heard this when i was 18 and hated it and i love it now
>>
>>62465278
>What's the point, I could look up the most prestigious art school in the fucking universe and tell you I went there. You seem more interested in your shitty college than art or its discussion.
So you're saying you have no education in the arts to back any of this up with?
>>
>>62465296
taking bait, nyu afi
>>
>>62465278
It's defined by context. Every time.
>>
>>62465332
If you don't, just admit it.
>>
Why do underage faggots think they know shit about art? Please focus on finishing high school, maybe after you can form an educated opinion on art.
>>
>>62465340
I agreed with this, but that's a technical aspect as far as I'm concerned, why it was made and for what.

>>62465350
those are two of the most notable art schools in the us dumbass. what did you think nyu afi meant?
>>
>>62465427
>those are two of the most notable art schools in the us dumbass.
LOL OK so you went to both of them. Sure, newfriend.

Since you did them lowercase like a clueless pleb I thought you made severe spelling errors.
>>
>>62465427
Can you clarify what you mean when you say that context is a technical aspect?
>>
>>62465479
Technical in that it falls outside what's undefined and subjective about art. If you make a tv jingle it's bullshit 100% of the time regardless what mood I'm in, even if i like it, because you made it heartlessly to get paid and sell shit.

>>62465478
nyu to afi is a common path
if it makes you feel better i dropped out of at least one of them
i love you
>>
>>62463603
>If you're playing from a DAW or similarly digitally conceived sound then no, it cannot be live.
>Obviously there's a difference between using a turntable, which has an actual physical effect acting upon the digital and thus a live experience, and using a DAW.

quite a few artists who use daws (including people like autechre) actually use sampled sounds and field recordings - sounds taken and made from real, tangible objects or instruments - before distorting and obfuscating the beyond recognition with their software. yet they are still rooted in "physical sounds" in the "physical realm" that they have curated/collected. there's a live aspect there, so what then?

this is if we're buying into this materialist philosophy when it comes to art, which i don't.

>>62465278
>art's value is subjective, but its actuality and technical aspects aren't.
how do you define art as an "objective concept"? genuinely curious in your answer because i find that it's a hard thing to quantify. i guess intention might be the main form of criteria.... but i dunno. clearly, i have no education in the subject :^)
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.