[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the post rock essentials? I'd like the essential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10
What are the post rock essentials? I'd like the essential recs or a flow chart to get into it, seeing as I don't really have a starting ground. Pic related is what I currently have downloaded. (I've listened to skinny fists and that's about it)
>>
Where's Spiderland?
>>
Tortoise
>>
>>62393306
freshly DLd
>>
>>62393306
not post rock
>>
>>62392999
Just go through Constellation Records catalog and post a thread asking for proof that 1st wave post-rock is any better than 3rd
that should do you just fine
>>
>>62393344
just grabbed this

>>62393379
i've seen this argument time and time again but i'll listen to it anyway, even if it's debatably not post rock i haven't heard anything bad about it
>>
Albur is a meme but still enjoyable.
>>
File: best post-rock 91' - 98'.jpg (238 KB, 630x255) Image search: [Google]
best post-rock 91' - 98'.jpg
238 KB, 630x255
Here's some of my personal favorites. I would recommend you check out:

Millions Now Living Will Never Die by Tortoise

Macha s/t

China Gate by Cul de Sac

Well Oiled by Harsh Jar Tempo

Magnog s/t

Soundtracks for the Blind by Swans

Houdini by Long Fin Killie

The Stars are so Big, the Earth is so Small by Pram

Transient Random Noise Bursts with Announcements by Stereolab

From Bone to Satellite by Tarentel

Temple IV by Roy Montgomery

Soundtrack to an Individual Emotion Picture Mindmovie by Leech

Mi Media Naranja by Labradford

If you want, I can make mega links to all these albums. Also, there are several post-rock flowcharts you can find on the wiki.
>>
>>62393409
not post rock isnt meant to be derogatory in any way
its a compliment if anything
>>
>>62393413
noted

>>62393415
if you would save me the trouble of scouring the archive i won't say no, but you don't have to
also, i'll go check those flows up right now, thanks
>>
>>62393451
Nah, it'd be my pleasure. Post-Rock is a fun genre to explore, especially the stuff from 91'-96' since most of it sounds really different from each other.
>>
>>62393379
it doesn't get more post rock than washer and don aman
>>
>>62393490
then please do, I have the tortoise, swans, and roy montgomery album already though :) mislabeled i guess
>>
File: F#A#∞.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
F#A#∞.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
>>62392999
>>
File: image.jpg (230 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230 KB, 1200x1200
>>62392999
listen to the yndi halda, sigur ros, talk talk and asmz albums. those should be a good starting point since you've already heard LYSF

might wanna download Horses In The Sky by silver mt zion too. it's better than Fuck Off Get Free but it's way different

also if you liked LYSF a lot, check out f#a#infinity, and if you like that, check out pic related (set fire to flames - sings reign rebuilder)
>>
>>62393566
got the discog, been meaning to pick through it
>>
>TSMZ album from 3 years ago
>Hurtbreak wonderland instead of Palmless Prayer
>no Horse Stories
>no Tortoise
>no stereolab
>>
>>62393583
Me personally, I prefer Ocean Songs. What do you enjoy about Horse Stories?
>>
>>62393583
>he didn't read the post
>>
Post-rock fag here
My personal absolute essentials (since most charts are bloated as hell) would be. I'd include an essential album from each branch of each wave, since most bands can fall into one or more "style" listed. there are lots of good albums not listed, these are just what I think te best examples of each "sound" are.

(First wave)
Slint - Spiderland (still think it's overrated as hell but people will bitch you out if you don't include it)
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden or Laughing Stock (the first post-rock albums, both are great and it;s cool to see how the genre came to be)
Bark Psychosis - Hex (ambient/gloomy style)
Long Fin Killie - Houdini (brisk, clean style)
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup (straightforward kraut-influenced style)
Magnog - s/t (spacey style)

(Second wave)
Godspeed - LYSF (dramatic, strings)
Hrsta - Ghosts Will Come (alternative/vocals)
Le Fly Pan Am - Ceux Qui Inventent N'ont Jamais Vécu (avant-garde, collage)
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun (dreamy)
Mogwai - Young Team (proto-third-wave)
Dirty Three - Ocean Songs (jammy)

(Third wave)
Explosions In the Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place (noodly, clean)
Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart (heavier)
*shels - Plains of the Purple Buffao (everyone loves this for some reason, idk)
This Will Destroy You - s/t (crescendocore)
Maserati - Inventions For the New Season (noodly)
Hammock - Departure Songs (ambient)
>>
Reminder that Swans, Silver Mt Zion, Slint, and arguably Tortoise are not post-rock.
Still good though
>>
>>62393680
what's some more avant-garde/collage?
I can't find shit like Fly Pan Am and it's bumming me out
>>
File: 1390246330523.jpg (23 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1390246330523.jpg
23 KB, 250x250
>>62393718

>Tortoise isnt post rock
>>
>>62393723
For avant garde, probably Starfuckers.
>>
>>62393723
I've never found anyone who do anything similar, unfortunately. Their sound is distinctive enough that it would be hard for it not to sound like a ripoff.
>>
>>62393745
thanks!
this song in particular I've looked for what genre it'd be in, but other than noise rock or post-rock i can't figure out what genre it really belongs in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAyzErUWrtE
>>
>>62393802
yeah :(
>>
thoughts?
>>
>>62393680
>>62393415

do one of you (or anyone) have a link to >>Hrsta - Ghosts Will Come, the archive link is dead
>>
>>62393963
not good tbqh farn
>>
>>62393963
Me personally, I don't like including two albums by one artist. Besides that, I would say replace TNT with Millions Now Living, no TVUN (why is that even on there?), replace horse stories with ocean songs, pleace he has left us with upgrade and afterlife, replace lift your skinny fists with lungo i bordi.
>>
>>62394036

read the label on the side. Heroin was believed to be a very early sampling of post-rock
>>
>>62393986
I'll upload it onto the mega link. It's almost done
>>
>>62394051
I understand that, but even then the chart is kinda reaching
>>
>>62394059
sweet
im going through >>62393680, LFPA is missing as well if you have it ^^
>>
File: image.jpg (256 KB, 989x1165) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256 KB, 989x1165
>>62392999
That's a garbage chart anon.
Here's a better one
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 234x230) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 234x230
>>62393718
Good job here's your reply
>>
>>62394104
that isn't a chart anon it's a screencap of my post rock section in my music player, lol
>>
sorry if the mega link is taking a while
>>
>>62394329
i've got nothing but time
>>
>>62394205
Either way download al the albums in the chart I posted to get an idea of what the good stuff in the genre sounds like
>>
how is swans not post rock?
>>
>>62392999
Faggot
>>
>>62393379
>first wave post rock isn't post rock
>>
>>62393572
set fire to flames isn't exactly post rock
but yeah throw it in there>>62393723
see above
>>
>>62394695
I've heard set fire to flames discography (prefer Telegraphs), but the don't scratch the same itch for me. They scratch another itch entirely. Thanks though
>>
>>62393451
>>62393986
Few that took a while. Anyway, here's the link. I plan on doing a flowchart eventually after I upload everything and get through a couple more years.
>>
>>62395104
https://mega.nz/#F!kB4E3aZD!3oNz0EOJRaSKwzPSAnZW2g

forgot the link
>>
If These Trees Could Talk s/t
Explosions in The Sky - Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever, or any of their albums really
Té - ならば、意味から解放された響きは『音』の世界の深淵を語る
8mm sky - finders keepers
Everything is Made in China - 4

honestly surprised none of you fucks mentioned If These Trees Could Talk.
>>
>>62395131
>>62395456
grabbing these
>>
the essentials chart is outdated. there are a lot of recent bands that dont fit the "third-wave-sounds-the-same" bill. Pic related has some of my favourites
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 700x700
>>62393413
Have u listen to this
>>
>>62396955
I listened to 0.02, I think Albur tryed to experimental, dont actually like it but its an interesting sound, its a glitch version of loren connors
>>
>>62395456
>all this crescendocore
Get out of this board, you plebeian garbage
>>
>>62395456
do you know where I can get té's stuff? they're nowhere to be found on SLSK
>>
>>62396955
One of my AOTYs
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.