[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what age did you grow out of hip-hop? 20 for me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11
File: smiths-1.jpg (65 KB, 1023x681) Image search: [Google]
smiths-1.jpg
65 KB, 1023x681
what age did you grow out of hip-hop? 20 for me
>>
>>
18 for me
>>
>>62058069
>>

i grew out of metal around the same time. awful, mundane genres.
>>
I never grew into it, same goes for The Smiths.
>>
>>62058069
17 or 18
>>
I'm a weak man.
When I was a kid, I listened to Eminem and Kanye West. Snapped out of it, but when I ws 16 I started listening to a shitload of diffrent rap music. I've had few breaks after this, but I always return. God forgive me, because I can't forgive myself.
>>
>>62058069
>>
>>62058087
what kind of metal i.e. artists
>>
>>62058069
when I was born white
>>
15 but completely stopped listening to it at 18
>>
>>62058107

You know the brutal stuff escape the fate, a day to remember, I wrestled a bear once, Attack Attack!
>>
>>62058236
that's not metal and is not good. actual meta is god tierl i.e. neurosis, megadeth etc
>>
Y'all better start respecting Morrissey or he's gonna kick your ass
>>
>>62058277
lmao you just got memed on dude
>>
>>62058277
Nuerosis? Fucking Megadeth? Alright gramps.
>>
>>
>>62058359
He's right though

But of course you need to let everyone know how brutal you are
>>
The same age I grew out of the fucking smiths. Fucking not soon enough. Terrible band.
>>
around 14, i still listen to the odd hip hop album though
>>
>>62058069
13 when i learned to read and enjoy proper music
>>
when I became a white guy
>>
File: bowie.jpg (246 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
bowie.jpg
246 KB, 1024x576
19-20 for me.

Quite late I know.

>be 16
>don't know about /mu/
>country doesn't have spotify
>not many friends
>only rely on TV for music
>shit 3rd world country with dogshit TV programmes.
>Only music channel plays pop/hiphop artists
>hate most of the shit but stuff like eminem, kanye west and some other pop/rap/hiphop artists seem relatively better. (even had an EDM phase: avicii, swedish house mafia etc)
>find it difficult to appreciate the few classics.
>completely in dark about almost all music apart from pop stuff
>spend most of teen years listening to pop with a very subtle feeling of "it's not quite that enjoyable but I guess i can listen to it"
>gradually find myself becoming more and more selective over the years
>at 19, reach a stage where literally nothing on TV seems even remotely likeable.
>the stuff i used to "mildly/uncomfortably/partially" enjoy earlier now makes me roll my eyes
>stop listening to music almost entirely (apart from a few artists like Gorillaz. The Cure which I discovered by accident and loved)
>gradually start finding music on the internet.
>discover some obscure artists with a few good tracks that i like
>stuff that i couldn't appreciate earlier seems much better now
>start getting into some mainstream stuff like (floyd, beatles etc)
>thisisgoodish.jpg
>watch perks of being wallflower one day
>like background score
>look up artists/track
>discover Ride
>discover bowie. this is where I hit the motherload.
>bowie breaks my musical virginity
>really start enjoying his albums.
>first time listening to entire albums of an artist and actually enjoying all of it
>thisisamazing.jpg
>finally understand the feel of completely enjoying music without having a subtle feeling of "good but not great"
>discover mu
>discover albums like "spiderland", "turn on the bright lights", "low", loveless"
>heaven.jpg
>thank you /mu/. I love this board so much. still discovering good albums from here. (most recently found "still bummed"-nouns)
>>
19, After listening to it practically all my life nonstop. I haven't listened to any since then.
feelsgoodman.jpg
>>
>>62058069
I still like a few artists of the genre, but I'd say 16.
>>
I liked it a bit when I was 16 and I stopped when I was 17.
>>
i didnt because im not a pretentious autist who feels the need to impress other autists on the internet. plenty of great hip hop music out there
>>
>>62058236
lmao nicely memed mr. anon! you go girl, yeah you got him. that's right. yeah
>>
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 250x238
>>62060529
>>
>Grew up out of hip hop only to regress to tumblrcore indie music
>>
File: 1453418724180.jpg (82 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1453418724180.jpg
82 KB, 306x306
I didn't
>>
I never liked it, but I'm starting to explore instrumental hip hop
>>
File: betterhitler.jpg (145 KB, 1509x1509) Image search: [Google]
betterhitler.jpg
145 KB, 1509x1509
I grew out of it at 19 but my brother who is 5 years older to me still enjoys hip-hop and pop and finds his music by listening to top-20 on garbage music channels like VH1
>>
File: 1453821790423.jpg (139 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1453821790423.jpg
139 KB, 500x333
>>62060679
>rap
>>
>>62058069
I grew into rap at 24.
>>
most people have shit taste in hip-hop. it's a great genre though. plenty obscure good stuff for all you hipsters too.
>>
>>62061316
What counts as obscure rap, anyway? Shit like Big L, Smif-n-Wessun, AZ, that everyone really into it knows but no-one else? Or the shit that barely reaches outside the area it represents?
>>
>>62060480
/mu/ really expands your tastes if you're capable of putting up with the constant stream of shitposting. It's worth every shitpost.
>>
>>62061353
>What counts as obscure rap, anyway?

This...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SHaa3ldnB8

You'd only hear stuff like this at 2 AM on weekends back in the 90's.
>>
I grew out of hip-hop when I was 16 and grew into death grips when i was around 20
>>
>>62058069

I've been around since before hip-hop was even a genre, back when people rapped over disco breaks.

I'll never outgrow it because it keeps evolving......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjjxjMk2bHw
>>
>>62058069
Still listen to hip hop but less and less

When someone makes a banger you gotta respect it but fuck most of the hip hop scene.

Fuck those 3rd eye indigo faggots
Fuck lyrical/intellectual hip hop
Fuck any rapper that advocates shit like mike brown and ferguson riots

The only hip hop i tolerate now a days is like freddie gibbs for his flow, young thug for being an artist and riff raff for being original
>>
>>62062692
Pack it in gramps before you break a hip
>>
>>62062891

**Grabs your girl**
**Steps on dance floor**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xmg6hN9VWI

U MAD?
>>
>>62058069
>tfw my friend looks like morrissey and also is a baritone singer
he's not gay as far as i know though :(
>>
>>62060601

do you not realize posts like >>62058236 are always made by metalheads in denial of their treasured genre being childish? so they make those fake posts to assure other metalheads of their generalizations?
>>
>>62062867
>The only hip hop i tolerate now a days is like freddie gibbs for his flow, young thug for being an artist and riff raff for being original

Well I think a window licker could deduce that you are a fucking mong.
>>
File: disgusted_mulatto_man.png (901 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
disgusted_mulatto_man.png
901 KB, 690x460
I'm 22 and I really dislike hip hop except for some albums and a few artists. I like the beats and melodies more than the lyrics. I'm excited for the new kanye, drake, and schoolboy q albums and still like young thug for the most part. I feel like 2015 was a disappointing year for hip hop. Yes I know there were a ton of huge releases for big artists but I think hip hop has become repetitive and a giant meme. I was disappointed by mr wonderful, summertime 06, ds2, earl's album, drakes mixtape, good am, asap rocky's album and bang 3. everything seems so stale. wow another trap beat with drug dealing lyrics.
>>
>>62063143
>Yes I know there were a ton of huge releases for big artists but I think hip hop has become repetitive and a giant meme.

That's happened during every era since the 80's. It's a glut that lasts about a year or two. It's been about 5 now, but things are looking up in the underground.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXNeab5eeE4
>>
>>62058069
Never liked it (except Dälek desu)
>>
>>62062692
>hip-hop
>keeps evolving
sure m8
>>
>>62061353
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o77J6627c8

redman, gang starr, etc are all well known but i would count them as underground too.
>>
File: disdain for backpackers.jpg (51 KB, 980x490) Image search: [Google]
disdain for backpackers.jpg
51 KB, 980x490
>the underachievers
>>
>>62063143
>action bronson - fat, food dude weed lmao
>vince stapler - I'm a real gang member guys
>future - drugs and depression lmao
>earl - depression
>drake - soft culture vulture becomes tough goy
>mac miller - existentialist white kid does too many drugs and has minor mental illness
>asap rocky - im a hood dude who likes art look at how cultured i am
>chief keef - literally autistic
>>
File: smug anime girl 59.png (117 KB, 372x351) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl 59.png
117 KB, 372x351
It's normal for /mu/tants to hate rap, I would hate rap too if I had discovered it /mu/. The whole board has baby-tier taste in rap, so there is basically nobody to elevate the general level and the people who try to explore the genre through /mu/ end up disappointed and they join the rap=crap bandwagon.

>mfw there are people itt who think Dalek is underground
>>
I'm into hip-hop still, not really contemporary mainstream/buzz band shit that /mu/ enjoys. Hip-hop is still a genre with a lot of depth as far as the music goes (meaning a lot was overlooked through the decades). 90's cold cut classics mostly. The beatmaker scene is the most exciting aspect of contemporary hip-hop for me tho. Good production makes wack rappers sound nice.
>>
>>62058069
17 i believe
>>
>>62063918

>there are people itt who think Dalek is underground

I think you should try going outside anon, most people do not know about Dalek. If your knowledge of what others listens to is strictly from the internet (/mu/ especially), maybe you need to reevaluate things.
>>
>>62063918
dumb weeaboo
>>
>>62063998
>implying
most people do not know about King Crimson either, your point ?

Don't worry anon, it's okay to like pleb-tier industrial hip-hop
>>
>>62064098
Industrial Hip Hop is a dead bandwagon that would need either Death Grips or Dalek as it's pinnacle. No lyricism from all of this sub-genre gets to Dalek levels, from DG to Clipping to Cx Kidtronic to BLACKIE. Most of it is just angry inhuman shouting over electronic hard beats. or gangsta rap over rhythmic instances of noise.
>>
>>62063878
>not FOOD WEED LMAO
what a great opportunity thrown in the trash
>>
File: smile2.jpg (31 KB, 150x149) Image search: [Google]
smile2.jpg
31 KB, 150x149
>>62058069
>the smiths
At what age did you discover you were a Manic Pixie Dream Girl?
>>
>>62064192
>Most of it is just angry inhuman shouting over electronic hard beats. or gangsta rap over rhythmic instances of noise.
That's definitely true (even in underground industrial hip-hop) buuuut that's also what the fans want to hear. Do you not like noise anon ?
>>
what age did you grow out of eating meat? 20 for me
>>
>>62064344
Oddly enough I do. I like Death Grips, I even like listening to BLACKIE. Just wont even say I listen to Merzbow cause there is always a horny fag who jumps at people saying "HURR YOU JUST LISTEN TO IS ON THE LOW VOLUME CRINGING ALL THE TIME"
>>
At ~16, then grew back into it at 22.
>>
>>62063143
I grew out of it around the 2010s because so much of it became overhyped and boring.
>>
>>62063625

15 years ago.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM7NUWHY4hA
>>
>>62063625

14 years ago.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXwmDPcscY
>>
>>62063625
90's
Gangsta Rap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMZi25Pq3T8

Glam Rap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glEiPXAYE-U

Conscious Rap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQZENuDrBY

10s

Gangsta Rap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6Jc4juSF8

Glam Rap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEMsjeq43_U

Conscious Rap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wZytWFm7x0
>>
never really tried death grips.
from where do i begin?
>>
>not knowing about the Underachievers or Flat Bush zombies
>>
>>62066979
just go with full albums chronological order or listen to at least the first 2-3 songs from each album in chronological order to see the progression

start from Exmilitary. "beware" is the definitive first impression
>>
>>62067263
cringe tier tryhard shit music tb h

>i'm enlightened because i've done psychedelics a few times
>>
>>62058069

>>
>>62068825
>rappers are braggadocious

Whoa. No way.
>>
>>62067263
hahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahaaha
>>
I grew out of it around 23, then realized that I actually like hip-hop and decided to listen to whatever the fuck I want at 25.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.