[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /mu/, what's your honest opinion about this guy? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: 39_Edp.png (161 KB, 304x225) Image search: [Google]
39_Edp.png
161 KB, 304x225
Hey, /mu/, what's your honest opinion about this guy? Is it worth listening to his videos if I'm only beginning to get into music and want to better understand which albums are better or worse and why? If not, what are some other critics that do it better than him?
>>
If you are just starting out, he's ok
>>
>>62034768
ok thanks
>>
>>62034752
An irrelevant /mu/tant whose opinions should hold no more regard than a single persons opinions here.

If you watch and care about his shitty music opinions you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>62034752
a human meme
>>
i don't do yootoobers
>>
>>62034802
Can you suggest another critic whose reviews I could read after listening to an album to understand it better?
>>
I like him, he gets a lot of flak here because 4chan is filled with contrarian knobs though.
>>
>>62034849
Fagthony doesn't do analysis, he merely describes the album he's reviewing.
>>
>>62034849
wire magazine
>>
>Is it worth listening to his videos if I'm only beginning to get into music and want to better understand which albums are better or worse and why?

no because

1.he's terrible at explaining why he doesn't like something

2.it's subjective
>>
>>62034849
Compared to Fantano, a block of cheese, a brick, your curtains..
>>
File: ricky2.png (837 KB, 1046x1048) Image search: [Google]
ricky2.png
837 KB, 1046x1048
Need him to review the last /mu/ made album
>>
>>62034849
google reviews
>>
>>62034854
le epic if you don't like what I like you're just contrarian meme

end yourself
>>
File: na2mA2KHgt2z0mUl.png (73 KB, 250x164) Image search: [Google]
na2mA2KHgt2z0mUl.png
73 KB, 250x164
Form your own opinions. Get recommendations from your friends and people that know you and then decide what you like, don't go shopping for music tastes on the internet because it'll end up being shit taste just like half the losers on this board. Do what I did: come here when you've already established a strong taste in music and regardless DON'T LISTEN TO MEMEKEK REVIEWERS, especially not this guy.
>>
I watch him so i can collect opinions about music that i can palm off to plebs in conversation about music irl
>>
>>62034849
Your thoughts
>>
Music is very subjective. More so than films because the music you like will speak to some part of you. So critiquing music is just retarded.
..And he gave MBTDF a 7/10, fucking casual.
>>
File: R3VL THVG L1F3.jpg (40 KB, 519x224) Image search: [Google]
R3VL THVG L1F3.jpg
40 KB, 519x224
I enjoy his videos, and while he sometimes introduces me to new music, I never go by his ratings. The man didn't care for Kavinsky or Macintosh Plus, both excellent artists.
>>
File: fantano mu.gif (1 MB, 332x311) Image search: [Google]
fantano mu.gif
1 MB, 332x311
Shithony Postano
>>
No. He's a hack. Don't read/watch any music journalism until you've cultivated your own unique taste. Once you know exactly what you're looking for in music, head to the TND comment section and encourage Fantano to off himself.
>>
Does he post on /mu/?
>>
File: 1Ag1Ykbq_400x400.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1Ag1Ykbq_400x400.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
>>62035509
He lurks - he used to tripfag, but he doesn't any more. I guess people got tired of knowing he was around
>>
>>62035599
hi fantano
>>
File: 1415292840535.png (181 KB, 474x548) Image search: [Google]
1415292840535.png
181 KB, 474x548
>>62035633
Not him, sorry. Lady Gaga's Born This Way is my favorite pop album
>>
I've consistently found that if I watch one of his videos after being quite familiar with the album I'm always underwhelmed by his descriptions and thoughts to the point of cringing.

If you've listened to the albums and artists and have familiarity with them, he is not worth watching. I honestly just click through to learn if his broad genre description interests me; if it does, I'll stop the video, download the album, and think for myself.

To be totally frank it's easier to follow Fantano for that basic curatorial purpose than it is to keep up on a bunch of different music journalism sources. At least I know that he keeps up on what is new and "important."
>>
>>62034895
Where can I find /mu/-made albums?
>>
he helps normies discover music they would of probably never found

his reviews are really shit though, Oblivion Access a 5 for example
>>
>>62034752
>And want to better understand which albums are better or worse and why?
Listen to an album, think about what you like about it and what you don't. There's your understanding. Stop going to other people for opinions.
>>
>>62035082
https://youtu.be/DMpYQCd9z3Q
Forgot this existed :^)
>>
What does Sam Hyde have to do with music?
>>
He's a good reference especially for people just getting into music. He presents his opinions pretty well, and is decent on describing how an album sounds.

I don't understand why people get so butthurt over some youtube reviewer they don't even have to watch when they have different opinions than they do.

Anyways, I don't watch his videos to find new music anymore. Mainly to watch him shit on something I already don't like because it's funny, or even if he shits on something I do like because different perspectives are cool
>>
When you listen to an album, if you like it, it's a good album, if you don't, it's bad. Why do you need someone to teach you to justify your opinion? Reviewers are just giving their subjective opinion. Maybe you're looking for a vocabulary, I dunno. Watch Fantano if you like the way he reviews albums.
>>
>>62037355
If you're looking for vocabulary you're better off with stuff like P4K. Fantano is too memey.
>>
File: anthony fantano.jpg (70 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
anthony fantano.jpg
70 KB, 450x450
He doesn't know rap.

>Kendrick Lamar album
>10/10 truly the greatest rap album of all time

>Other rap artist
>light 5, wasn't Kendrick Lamar
>>
>>62034752
>What's your honest opinion about this guy?
I like him, but his videos tend to pander to those just getting into music. He can be pretty funny sometimes and downright cringeworthy other times.

>Is it worth listening to his videos if I'm only beginning to get into music and want to better understand which albums are better or worse and why?
I guess. Really it'll just help you keep tabs on the relatively popular new albums worth listening to.

>If not, what are some other critics that do it better than him?
No idea. Sometimes there are really well thought-out criticisms on RYM. Following a particular reviewer/critic is pretty stupid given how subjective music can be. Just listen to a lot of music and develop your own opinions.
>>
>>62035971
Warning, don't take them too seriously even though they can be fun listens.

https://bandcamp.com/tag/mu
https://bandcamp.com/tag/4chan
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J4GjCE_KPw

Say what you will about him but this review still makes me kek
>>
>>62034752
There's no reason to listen to /mu/tantwithawebcam. Read Christgau, Tinymixtapes, [spoiler]Pitchfork[/Pitchfork], and the charts that get posted here.
>>
>>62039070
I honestly think he does a way better job articulating his opinions in an interesting way than any weeb on here could do
>>
Fantano tends to share opinions with most major music publications (pitchfork, rollingstone) and his reviews pretty much fall in line with these. He has certain biases towards poptimism, mainstream hip hop and punk, and as a whole I find his reviews fairly predictable.

If you're interested in "p4kcore" music, then you might enjoy his channel. I don't find his reviews particularly engaging and I don't like the way he describes music, but that's just my opinion.

His reviews have a certain youtube quality to them, a lot of forced humour, a lot of memes. He seems to have a pretty immature personality. This might appeal to you if you're a teenager or you post on 4chan/reddit.

Lastly, avoid his political videos at all costs. He mirrors the opinions of his redpilled reddit/4chan fans and he comes off as pretty immature, inflammatory and uninformed.
>>
came for the music reviews, stayed for the shitposts.
anything that isn't death grips he isn't going to like.
>>
>>62039788
top 10 autistic posts of all time right there holy christ

who gives a shit its just a reviewer stop putting effort into this you fucking aspie
>>
>>62037445
weak b8 m8
>>
>>62034752
He's an articulate reviewer who touches on just about every genre of music. I don't always agree with his reviews but I usually appreciate what he has to say because he delivers opinions in about as objective a manner as possible. Also he avoids being a hype reviewer like Pitchfork. Pitchfork doesn't rate music on quality but on hype. I appreciate Anthony for avoiding this pitfall.
>>
If you take his videos at face value as entertainment and can deal with people having differing opinions than yours, hes pretty good.

/mu/ gets worked up over anyone feeling anything at all, no matter what direction that feeling may be, they will go the opposite direction

is fantano a cunt? certainly, but ffs, they are just reviews.
>>
>>62034752
Listen to what you think. Music is completely subjective and no matter how much we tell you here, it's quality should be what you consider it to be.
>>
File: fantano.gif (4 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
fantano.gif
4 MB, 854x480
Vthony Saucetano here
>>
>>62039869
literally answering OPs question
>>
>>62039869
>4 short lines of text
>too much effort for 4chan
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.