[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the process of getting signed to a major label and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
what's the process of getting signed to a major label and how do you achieve it?

also, how to get views on souncloud
>>
>>62004035
You have to know somebody.
>>
>>62004043
What about Soundcloud fame?
>>
spam and patience
>>
>>62004035
please, never be like that guy with the sad kid album.
>>
File: smug anime girl 20.png (316 KB, 683x623) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl 20.png
316 KB, 683x623
>>62004083
>Soundcloud fame
>>
>music is all about the money

scumbag
>>
>>62004035
connections. get in touch with a publishing company that knows trendy online magazines
>>
>>62004035
first you get signed to an indies label and they'll tend to negotiate a major deal with a bigger label that wants you. many indies labels make more money from enabling major debuts from their artists than they do from those artists' sales, so it's a move that benefits everyone
>>
>>62004671
not OP but my dream is to be critically acclaimed and have a small cult fan base. something like OPN
>>
>>62004718
OPN has a huge fanbase, you don't know what "small" and "cult" are at all
>>
>>62004746
ok maybe not small but "huge"? really?
most people that are into music wouldn't even know him
>>
File: huge.png (10 KB, 452x109) Image search: [Google]
huge.png
10 KB, 452x109
>>62004761
that's fairly huge
>>
>>62004671
>>62004666

Major labels are usually toxic and want to exploit. Also, Soundcloud fame is illusory, shallow, dumb, and temporal, OP.
>>
>>62004888
not really
you could fill a large stadium with all those people.
not many when you spread em across the world.
I mean it's not small but it's not half a million either
>>
>>62004888
I wouldn't call it huge but big seems fair.
>>
>>62004969
that is huge, who are you comparing it to? Madonna?
>>
>>62004971
it's big for you, maybe
>>
>>62004761
>I don't go to shows or have any actual involvement in underground/DIY music
>>
How do people like Roy Woods get signed? He's only 19
>>
File: kek america.png (484 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
kek america.png
484 KB, 582x600
>>62004671
get a load of this idealistic fag
>>
>perform regularly
>have a following online and in reality
>there is 'buzz' about you
>you have good tracks online

All those things. BUT if you made a brilliant commercial track or two
>>
>>62005146
money matters, but going into it hoping for a legit career is cancerous

>tfw hip hop will never escape the toxic culture of buying beats, collabs only AFTER pay, and so on
>>
File: biting vinyl.jpg (21 KB, 429x455) Image search: [Google]
biting vinyl.jpg
21 KB, 429x455
>>62004035
Depends on the kind of artist you are. For example, I make some music myself but I make Aphex Twin type shit so I don't have a problem with being independent, in fact, I rather be it than being stuck to some label. Labels can be some little shits that try to control every aspect of your creations, but they have their good side as well. They are going to put your shit out for the world and give you a name. The thing is that a rapper, or an IDM techno producer will have more success with being independent than an R&B singer or a pop singer, for example.

Know what you do? You make an independent mixtape/album/EP with at least one or two viral tracks. The viral thing can come from either the clip or the track itself, some lyric or whatever. Like OG Maco with BITCH YOU GUESSED IT. Doesn't need to be a meme, just something that intrigues/interests people, until they start talking about you. Then you get some faggots following you, then the eyes of labels start getting to you. Specially small labels
>>
>>62004888
76k is nothing in the scheme of things. it's not even close to huge
>>
>>62005238
it's super big for an underground artist
>>
>>62005267
no it isn't and i didn't make this thread for that purpose, when I talk about fame I mean major, nobody cares about underground fame
>>
>>62005307

I am an "underground musician". been on a few different european labels, tour a couple months a year. It's all about who you know and your capacity to schmooze.

If you want major fame you have to schmooze even harder. What kind of music do you make? I will give you some tips
>>
>>62005431
Hip-hop is my pallet but I can sing, produce, rap. I'm not interested in becoming an indie artist. I'm mainly looking for information regarding the process of getting signed major without being signed to an independent label first, also looking for information on how to build contacts. I'm in the UK if that helps.
>>
File: CTT6PPhUcAEN1uP.jpg (22 KB, 465x411) Image search: [Google]
CTT6PPhUcAEN1uP.jpg
22 KB, 465x411
1. go to some shit talen show,
2. win it,
3. get signed,
4. get kicked because you are not successful enough
>>
>>62005431
Synthpop, I want to bring synthpop back to the masses.

Now tell me whose cock I have to suck to do it.
>>
File: 1411351803772.jpg (60 KB, 259x567) Image search: [Google]
1411351803772.jpg
60 KB, 259x567
Step 1: Have talent

Oh, you're an untalented dipshit who thought they would grow up to be le epic artist? Nah, not happening. Better get educated for some soul destroying job like accounting or engineering, or kill yourself
>>
File: shitposter.jpg (61 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
shitposter.jpg
61 KB, 960x720
>>62005606
go read pic related and only come back if you master it
>>
I'm actually trying to build a big enough fanbase to make a living off of shows and merch. i think its pretty plausible
>>
>>62005467
that shit doesn't exist any more. you have become successful then the labels will sign you
>>
>>62005722
Not him but dude we live seeing artists making independent no-label stuff and then getting signed to a major right after. Like Kendrick Lamar
>>
File: 1447905545277.jpg (5 KB, 247x247) Image search: [Google]
1447905545277.jpg
5 KB, 247x247
>>62004671
>musicians should work for free
>musicians shouldn't be allowed to make a living off their work
>calling other people scumbags
>>
>>62005722
this guy knows what he's talking about, there's a dead art called A&R which stands for artist and repertoire, it was the part of labels which used to spend time marketing and developing artists. Now, there isn't the money to do that. You have to get popular on your own THEN get label attention. It's no longer the 90s when anybody could get signed. Seriously in retrospect as someone who wants to be a musician, I would have traded a few free MP3s for a much brighter future as a musician. Our generation really fucked ourselves over that way
>>
>>62005764
How do you get the labels to see your music? If what you were saying was true then all the big soundcloud producers / rappers such as Bones, LUM would be signed.
>>
>>62005773
No fucking clue, the little insight I have is gleaned from reading rock biographies of 90s musicians and them talking about how the industry has changed. The consensus seems to be that if you're talented you're going to get noticed. I plan on getting in the van and guerrilla touring because I have no idea what else to do
>>
>>62005789
>The consensus seems to be that if you're talented you're going to get noticed

I've heard people say that a lot and I have no idea where that is coming from. You might get internet fame (somewhat) but not major label mainstream radioplay.
>>
>>62005764
That's seriously depressing senpai, but It's easier to get famous now with the internet right? Especially for ones that live in 3rd world countries with no music scenes
>>
Basically the mob has to be acquainted with shitty record label douchebags and have dirt on you.

Or you can fuck groupies by being a roadie, I'm sure someone will help produce your album.
>>
>>62005773

desu what you need is lots of schmoozing and luck. Get out there and meet people. Figure out what shows people who work for big labels are going to. Try to get into VIP areas. If you are attractive flirt a lot (with men and women). Use everything you have while not coming across like a desperate creep.

Unfortunately the most important factor is still luck.

Realistically tho, what you are looking for doesn't really exist anymore :(
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.