[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
calling /mu/sicians I'm experiencing a bit of writers block.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: writing3.jpg (20 KB, 400x251) Image search: [Google]
writing3.jpg
20 KB, 400x251
calling /mu/sicians
I'm experiencing a bit of writers block. I write plenty of lyrics and plenty of riffs, but when it comes to piecing the two together, nothing ever catches my ear or strikes me as very enjoyable.

What are your methods of creating songs? Explain your personal process, what works for you. I'm curious and am open to learning how other minds work.
>>
>>61998769
Try to apply what you know about writing your riffs to writing vocal melodies. You can hear riffs in your head right? Try to replace the notes you would normally hear as guitar and work some vocal over it. Once you've got the melody try to re work your lyrics to fit it.
>>
There are a lot of ways, you can make the lyrics match the riff, like in ironman-black sabbath, play some riffs and sing while playing some chords, so its easy to place the words, just listen to different songs from different bands and try to figure out what technique they use
>>
Doodle, diddle, fiddle, then record
>>
I either start with the bassline or keyboard riff
>>
Not exactly a musician, but a producer.

I like to think of a chord progression (normally in 7ths or 11ths,) then create secondary progressions from the first by choosing notes from the chords. Go out of the key you're writing in occasionally on an offbeat.

That's good for finding progressions, but in my opinion the most important thing about writing melodies and lyrics is the rhythm of the notes.
>>
i hate when op asks for help, everyone tries to say something usefull and he doesnt even say thank you
>>
When I write lyrics, and I'm stuck, I try to set a scene in the first two lines. Like just some scenery that could have weight, might not, but the listener doesn't have to know.

>Maple floors

>Snowy cedars

Shit like that, then just extrapolate. What is resting under these snowy cedars might you ask? Maybe it's your inspiration, covered in lonely tire tracks, taking the purity of new fallen ice, or whatever, just don't disappear too far up your ass like I just did
>>
How do you write lyrics that won't completely embarrass you? What inspires you?
>>
>>61999264
What inspires me inspires me, that's irrelevant. What inspires YOU? Don't say a girl, but say something ABOUT that girl. Maybe it's her smell, the way she does her hair? But don't let the listener know you're talking about either of those things.
>>
Luckily, to me lyrics+melody happen simultaneously. I don't even know HOW to write lyrics without knowing what the melody and pace and rhythm of them will be, since that determines a lot of the word choice and rhyme patterns.

Like, how do you write lyrics without knowing how it will sound? Do you guys just put words on a page like it was a poem? I'm genuinely curious as to how that process works.

Anyway, once I got the melody, i work out the chord progress that best suits it, and its all just tinkering and building upon ideas from there.
>>
>>61999300
The problem is that I can't find anything to inspire me, so I was asking what inspires you to gain some sore of perspective. But I see what you're saying
>>
>>61999408
What I do, is I just write poems during my day, whether it's quickly on my phone or in my actual notepad. Then I write little instrumental and record them, placing a melody overtop with a midi piano or whatever. Then I edit my poem to fit that. Your way sounds way better though, more efficient
>>
>>61999425
I've had this very good friend who lives a couple cities away, about 200km. I know in my heart that we'll find a way to each other eventually, we've always talked about how we'll most likely end up together. So, that inspires me. What about you? Any mistakes? Things you wished you could change? Missed chances? Doesn't have to be love
>>
>>61999497
Thanks man
>>
>>61999724
No problem
>>
>>61999264
well kanye writes pretty bad lyrics (post mbdtf) and he's still popular.
>>
I checked out Brian Enos oblique strategies the other day, thought it was a cool attempt to replicate the randomness of creativity and 'real' inspiration that leads to good performances and songwriting. You can google it and find a ton of websites which have all the different ones
>>
>>61999935
but i want to write good lyrics tho
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.