[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did we reach a halt when it comes to new modern music genres?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 1448853696656.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1448853696656.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
Did we reach a halt when it comes to new modern music genres?
I feel like everything we get now is just regurgitated stuff we already had in the 20th century. Maybe the existing genres from the past are more refined today, but I have the feeling music is merely progressing in niches and sub sections of major genres without any actually unique genres emarging.

Will there ever be a new major genre in the future, /mu/? And I'm not talking about wacky hipster shit like industrial jungle noises.
An new major genre just like rock in the 20th century.
>>
>>61991485
New genres are pretty rare.
>>
>>61991485
>Will there ever be a new major genre in the future, /mu/? And I'm not talking about wacky hipster shit like industrial jungle noises.

so many relevant subgenres have developed in the last 5 years or so. if youre talking about stuff as broad as "rock", though, maybe youre right. idk
>>
I believe microtonality will have a breakthrough.
>>
File: tumblr_n9l1ahDiLh1rtynt1o1_1280.jpg (142 KB, 600x705) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9l1ahDiLh1rtynt1o1_1280.jpg
142 KB, 600x705
>>61991577
any creative work is derivative whether consciously or subconsciously

the originality of the work depends heavily on the perspective of the audience

what makes music resonate with me is authenticity, which is distinct from originality

if a creator puts their unique personality and emotion into a creation, and derives a creation specific to their own creative habits, that makes a creation more resonant and makes me empathize with it more and makes me like it more

tame impala did the same fucking shit that tons of people did years before them, but their perspective on the genre made their albums very visceral and resonant. they made it feel like they were making music to express something, rather than making music to earn money or appeal to an audience

this also applies to a lot of animal collective, in my opinion

also, Gist Is, by Adult Jazz feels like nothing I've ever heard before even though it sounds like something I've heard before
>>
>>61992095
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of other well known musicians who create music to express themselves too.
You can't really fault people for also paying attention on the financial aspect since you pay bills with dollars and not just ideals.
>>
File: sophie product.jpg (225 KB, 808x808) Image search: [Google]
sophie product.jpg
225 KB, 808x808
Bubblegum bass is new.
>>
>>61992305
You're right, I kinda over-dichotomized it

I just gave a few examples, and I think there are such an incredible amount of people out there that make truly authentic music, I just gave the first few off of my head
>>
>>61991485
I think we're bound to come up with something new eventually but I think the internet has created a situation where people can both be exposed to new things but also lock themselves away in the familiar.
>>
There are a lot of blends of genres that could be exciting when discovered, but a completely original genre would be hard to do
>>
>>61991485
Unless you count meme genres like vaporwave or futurefunk (stuff that already existed and has just taken on a different tone or used different kinds of source material) then I would tend to agree with you

Nothing truly new has happened in about 15-20 years, just permutations of what we already had.
>>
New genres only spawn pretty much when a new instrument is created, or when an existing instrument is used in radically different way. So no, there's plenty more to come.
>>
File: fast.gif (2 MB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
fast.gif
2 MB, 700x700
>>61991485
but anon, hypergrunge is brand new.

https://craigculberton.bandcamp.com/album/book-of-the-damned
>>
>>61991485
maybe its just that the terminology is at an end? like, could a novel sound emerge and fit perfectly within an established label?

>>61992095
theyre different things but probably related on some level, authenticity is one of the things that can foster original works since everyone's experiencing is distinct from an "average" in at least some way, so essentially people with a different outlook and a unique life story should create relatively more distinct works
but idk, i can never be totally sure whether or not a performer "means it". chances are theyre just good actors, through their music that is, and if they fail at being subjectively convincing that makes a bad performer
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.