[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into Gentle Giant? I like most of the classic prog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1436554564591.jpg (61 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
1436554564591.jpg
61 KB, 396x400
How do I get into Gentle Giant? I like most of the classic prog bands but Gentle Giant just doesn't seem to click. I feels like their songs don't flow like Yes or Genesis for example but then again neither do many classic King Crimson songs that I like. There are some things that sound good but I just can't get myself to listen to their albums again and again (though the only albums I've heard from them are Octopus and The Power and the Glory).
>>
Listen to Octopus until it makes sense.
>>
Acquiring the Taste. Fuck Octopus for the time being. Just try that.
>>
>>61984392
I've tried. Multiple times.
>>
>>61984392
Also their first album is probably their most accessible.
>>
>>61984363
Listen to Octopus again or go chronologically.
>>
In a Glass House abandons their vocal harmonies and other classical pretensions for a more riff-based sound, you may lite it.
>>
It's pompous jester core OP. Don't let these contrarians here tell you otherwise. Gentle Giant blow.
>>
>>61984542
>I don't like it therefore it blows
Ok
>>
>>61984570
Yeah. Pretty much. It's not rocket science there champ.
>>
>>61984363
Free Hand is a good starting point. But if you really wanna get into it and see what they're all about, check this out. i guarantee you'll be amazed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpvbRdSiXUY
>>
>>61984602
I wasn't aware that if one doesn't like something, it lacks any merit. Do you have any legitimate criticisms for them or am I asking too much for someone on /mu/?
>>
>>61984737
They play strange time signatures just to be odd. Their singer is abysmal. The keyboards sound dated and anemic. All together it makes a cacaphonous trainwreck which is neither interesting or pleasant to listen to in any way. The above posted concert video being a prime example.
>>
>>61984886
I actually think their keyboards, especially on Octopus, sound very ahead of their time and still stand up today. I'll agree that their singer is not even close to being the best.
"They play strange time signatures just to be odd". Nearly impossible to actually prove that. I think lots of time signature changes don't appeal to a lot of people. They are purposefully cacophonous at times imo. Also if you don't think this song is pleasant I have no idea what to tell you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHwQbBm8n8
>>
>>61984886
Not the one you were conversing with but your comment was so bitter, open up to it and you'll find some great music within their discography.

>They play strange time signatures just to be odd.
it was the 70's, the majority of the bands played with strange time signatures, at least they used simple, clear and concise drum patterns. Also, they were classically trained so of course they challenge themselves in their music and have some fun

>Their singer is abysmal
Live, yeah kinda. In the studio they're rather good. keep in mind that the older Schulman brother didn't sing in any of the live concerts posted online.

>The keyboards sound dated and anemic
probably because they are dated. this is more of a personal criticism. i'll take a minimoog over any modern keyboard any day.

>cacaphonous trainwreck
completely true, it's like they don't even know how to play

What do you like to listen to then? Any bands that you think are a better waste of time?
>>
>>61984363
Gentle Giant is just not easy to get into, and this is coming from someone who likes Red Krayola and Yowie. Gentle Giant's composition is very strange and they go all the way in medieval/theatrical style.
>>
Don't force yourself to listen to a band you don't enjoy. If you've really listened to a couple of their albums then you should be able to grasp their style and decide whether you like it or not

The Power and the Glory is my favorite album by them, but it's also the least accessible, not a good place to start
>>
I love their first 7 albums
start with the debut or free hand, those are their most accessible albums IMO
but don't try to force things, it's okay if you don't like them
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.