[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i've been a very devoted AnCo supporter for about a yea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: MI0001557427.jpg (38 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
MI0001557427.jpg
38 KB, 400x393
i've been a very devoted AnCo supporter for about a year now. i've always thought they were one of the most original bands ever, then i listened to Mercury Rev

has anyone noticed how much influence AnCo gets from them? i'm surprised that it took this long to find out about them since this board has a strong AnCo following

Downs Are Feminine Balloons sounds like it could be in Feels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZtUtm7ftgc

Frittering reminds me of Visiting Friends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dms5WyiNZJU

Blue and Black could be on the People EP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpGv-6IvQMM

Sweet Oddysee of a Cancer Cell T' Th' Center Of Yer Heart is very similar to the free-form Here Comes the Indian tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBsTUDlVnhY
>>
They're great, Boces was the better album
>>
They sound nothing alike
>>
AND OF COURSE YOU DONT MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND
>>
>>61981661
I don't know if AnCo were influenced by them. Mercury Rev, despite their creative and expressive achievements, were a pretty small-time band. Donahue, after being asked by the Chemical Brothers to work on a track, was surprised that anybody had even remembered the group.
>>
File: David-Baker--007.jpg (90 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
David-Baker--007.jpg
90 KB, 620x372
>Waitin' for the phone to blink
>Waitin' for the blow to snow
>Skating around
>The only place you know
>Prayin' for your hair to grow
was this a snub at David Baker?
>>
>>61981661
the people who think animal collective are one of "the most original bands ever" tend to be those who haven't listened to that much music

you listen to mercury rev and the beach boys and you realize that there's not an ounce of originality in anco or their individual members' output. of course that doesn't make them bad
>>
>>61983168
I mean, I feel like it's impossible to be completely original because you're always taking influence from someone somewhere.
>>
rare suzanne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtKYEh_c9LI
>>
>>61983168
Name anything by the beach boys or rev that sounds anything like HCTI.
protip: u cant bruh
>>
They were amazing. Boces is honestly probably their best album, but Yerself Is Steam is my personal favorite. I just love how insanely blissful it sounds, especially on the tracks with Baker doing his thing on them. Boces sounds like a dream, but a crazy, surreal, drug fueled dream, whereas Yerself Is Steam feels more natural, with themes of ego death putting you in a place where you can be in the present moment, and every moment on there is bursting with sonic euphoria and bliss. I don't know, hard to choose a favorite album.
>>
File: untitled4.png (4 KB, 333x53) Image search: [Google]
untitled4.png
4 KB, 333x53
>>61981714
Stop.
>>
ARTISTS IN THE SAME GENRES SOUND SIMILAR SO THEY RIPPED EACH OTHER OFF CLEARLY

HUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRR DUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRR I HATE ANCO BECAUSE THEY ARE POPULAAAAAAAAAAAAR MUUUUUUUMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY HELP
>>
>>61983168
STGSTV and Person Pitch prove that they are among the most original musicians of the decade, just not holistically

they've taken their own (and sometimes better) perception on beach boys that most certainly has originality
>>
>>61983168
>le "vocal melodies and layered atmosphere are the sole copyrights of x band when we talk about AnCo" meme

the only people who spew this garbage haven't listened to AnCo's pre-Sung Tongs output or else don't understand how Person Pitch was made
>>
>>61984360
I dont even feels like they are similar at all. The melodic sense of both bands are really diferent, also, anco have always been pretty clear about their the bands they like and shit, you can actually hear similarities with thinking fellers union, but mercury rev feels like a completly different kind of band. I get the beach boys thing some anon said, but it really feels like people overreact about the fact that anco just like doing vocal harmonies, because thats it, they arent similar in any other thing
>>
>>61984324
What do you think about the track Girlfrien? Boces would be 10/10 for me if it wasnt for that track tbqh
>>
>>61981661
>frittering doe
>>
>>61984543
best track
>>
>>61984506
OP here, i think that you feel that way because they were released in different time periods.
AnCo has the early 2000s "indie" vibe, while Mercury Rev sounds like 90s alt rock.

I think aside from that, they arranged their sounds in the same cluttered fashion and also for the same purpose, to convey eccentricity and neurosis.

AnCo's neurosis leans more towards mysticism, joviality and youthfulness.
Mercury Rev's is more subconscious and unsettling which imo makes them the better band because subconscious music is very hard to create
>>
>>61984538
its a bit hard to take at first, but i think its an incredible postmodern Bille Holiday/old blues ballad. i think its one of the strongest songs on the album
>>
Downs Are Feminine Balloons is such a wonderful song. Thanks for reminding me OP
>>
>>61984730
makes me cry
>>
>>61984657
Have you ever listened to the track Untitled in STGSTV? Or are you ones of those people that are like "is just noise XDDD"? it doesnt get more neurotic and "subconscious" than that, or the track Panic in HCTI
>>
>>61981705
thread should have ended here
>>
>>61984730
>and if there's one thing I can't stand, it's up
>>
>>61984538
I like it. It ends Boces on an eerie, unsettling note, and I like that. Making Boces go out with a bang just wouldn't have been the same.
>>
>>61984790
i completely agree with Untitled and honestly i think STGSTV is as good as Mercury Rev's first two. Panic is also very good but i dont think it reaches the intensity the Untitled does
>>
File: Cover.jpg (488 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
488 KB, 600x600
Underrated.
>>
>>61985110
shite like everything after Boces
>>
File: front.jpg (14 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
14 KB, 325x325
>>61981661
I strongly advise you to listen to this right now
>>
>>61981661
This album is literally a feels machine
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.