[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this accurate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 19
File: img.png (48 KB, 988x842) Image search: [Google]
img.png
48 KB, 988x842
Is this accurate?
>>
>>61978324
>rating genres

How does it feel to hate art?
>>
File: 1436838144531.jpg (165 KB, 1032x774) Image search: [Google]
1436838144531.jpg
165 KB, 1032x774
maybe if you browse ressit hahahahahahah!
>>
>funk and hard and post bop
>god tier
It's meh at best
>>
What's the criteria for this ranking?
>>
>>61978343
This rating genres is one of the silliest and most immature things you can do and guarantees the person who's doing it has shit taste.
>>
>>61978343
>>61978344
>>61978371
>rap and metal fans
>>
>>61978365
Talent, musicianship and sound.
>>
>>61978324
Put funk in shit tier
>>
>>61978324
>techno
>meh tier

shitpost immediately discarded
>>
>>61978365
Exactly what I wanted to ask.
This image is based on what ?

> mfw when outsider music is a "genre"
It's trying to be unconventional and you just bring it back with the mainstream
>>
>>61978356
Name 10 albums you heard from those genres you fucking poser
>>
>>61978408
yeah thought exactly the same thing.
and noise in meh tier as well lol...
>>
>>61978344
>le epic if you don't like degenerate shit rap and pop you're a fedora reddit poster

Why are these people so stupidly incapable of actually coming up with a music based argument?
>>
>>61978416
Exactly
>>
>>61978402
Let me guess you heard that one Funkadelic album and didn't like it

FUCK YOU
FUCK YOU
FUCK YOU
>>
>>61978408
>>61978422
THIS

techno should be in shit-tier
>>
No because it's very biased and doesn't really follow a criteria like >>61978365 suggested

That being said, I like the taste of whoever made the chart
>>
>>61978393

> funk at god tier
> hip hop shit tier
> contemporary r&b, pop, folk at the bottom
> country
> "all the other rock"
> "all the other rock"

Sure this must be pretty objective, it's surely not like the anon who did this didn't know shit about music as a whole.

> "all the other rock"
they should ban you a few days for that kind of bullshit
>>
>>61978324
lol at downtempo being above ukgarage and house

blimey

>>61978452
howdy pardner
>>
>>61978452
nope, god tier. you just don't know it.
>>
>>61978378
>>61978428
lmao fell for my ruse!!

epic troll ftw
gg
>>
If you're a imbecile, which seems extremely likely OP
>>
File: a_genius_at_work.png (4 KB, 222x211) Image search: [Google]
a_genius_at_work.png
4 KB, 222x211
>electroacousmatic
>>
>>61978463
rock is really shit. i can agree with op
>>
>>61978416
>>61978443
Like bro shut the fuck up and quit shitposting
>>
>>61978527
It was more a way of saying "how come you generalize all these genre into one same thing, that proves how biased you are." That proves that this pic doesn't mean shit, he doesn't even know what genre he's down-rating

That's a subjective chart and it is not accurate at all.
>>
>>61978556
rock music, since the shit band the beatles, that spread the form a b a b c b to write a song to any shitty pop band influenced by that kind of composition is shit.
rock, punk, metal, i dont know.. shit like that its all the same thing.
"all the other rock" is a good label to taxonomize it
>>
>>61978343
postmodern art is shit m8
>>
>>61978556
>taking a bait as shit as OP's this seriously
you are sad
>>
>>61978480
>>61978487
>30 years of the same 4tothefloor beat
>good

/bleep/tards are really delusional
>>
File: 1452196458408.png (100 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1452196458408.png
100 KB, 625x626
>>61978594
"hurr dur all music is shit"

Fuck you, I'm not even that much into rock but generalizing them just show how stupid you are. You're talking about work of generations and shit of influenced genre.

>>61978615
Yes I know son, everything in /mu/ is only b8, no serious opinion.
>>
>>61978556
>>61978594
Why not, why should't it be the same, they'res little differences between them all.

I beet you seperate rock into 300 subgenres and unironically say ''jazz'' and ''classical''
>>
>>61978615
>fantano image

red flag for a pebeian
>>
Can we put funk in shit tier please? I'm pretty sure the only people who like it are white people trying to trick themselves into thinking they're soulful. Not even black people listen to that trash
>>
>>61978629
>buy a new effects pedal
>hurrrrrrrrrr brand new genre
>>
>>61978618
>thinking all techno is 4 on the floor
wew lad
>>
>>61978618
I really hope there aren't people out there that think an odd drum time signature makes a song good...
>>
>>61978641
>no image selected
confirmed not having selected an image
>>
>>61978629
when did i say that all music is shit? i really love music, anon. not all music is shit
you are not into rock? tell me what you hear anon
>>
>>61978660
>>61978665
>>61978480
>>61978487
I wish those musicians would not allow themselves any repetitions, and would go faster in developing their ideas or their findings, because I don’t appreciate at all this permanent repetitive language.

It is like someone who is stuttering all the time, and can’t get words out of his mouth. I think musicians should have very concise figures and not rely on this fashionable psychology. I don’t like psychology whatsoever: using music like a drug is stupid.

I heard the piece Quadrant Dub of Basic Channels carefully: I think it would be very helpful if he listens to my work Song Of The Youth, which is electronic music, and a young boy’s voice singing with himself. Because he would then immediately stop with all these post-African repetitions, and he would look for changing tempi and changing rhythms, and he would not allow to repeat any rhythm if it were varied to some extent and if it did not have a direction in its sequence of variations.
>>
>>61978660
Thats exactly what techno is by definition.
>>
>>61978631

Most of the genre, as much as I don't like the current classification, mean something, there are in a certain historical context, most of the time they liberate themselves from the mainstream genre where they don't believe it's representative of their own.
So if all rock are the same, every genre throughout time has a special something to teach you. Even in a global scale, if you look at Soul and Rock, for instance you will notice how they influence themselves to make new things.

>>61978656
"y u make fun"
here is the answer you've been waiting for

>>61978669
You said all the other rock is shit, since rock is so mainstream, this is a nice portion of music you fuck

pop, rock, r&b, soul, alternative, alternative r&b, neo-soul, funk, jazz, nu-jazz
>>
>>61978702
>memehausen
>>
>>61978729
>muh rock subgenres
>>
>>61978724
nope. it really isn't.
it is often hard to know where techno ends and idm starts..
>>
>choral music not god tier
>>
>>61978754
>IDM
>genre

After ambient techno, its not techno.
>>
>>61978768
Choir boys suck priest cock CLT
>>
>>61978702
I REPEAT MYSELF WHEN UNDER STRESS
I REPEAT
>>
>>61978724
um, no.

there's a difference between something being in 4/4 and four on the floor. majority of techno is in 4/4 (but so is most rock music as well) but certainly not all of it is four on the floor (tho it was more essential in the earlier days of techno)
>>
>>61978796
Techno is 4tothefloor

If its not, its not techno
>>
>>61978402
word up bro
>>
>>61978729
rock is a nice portion of music? i think its a really small one. its music made like... 60 years ago. humanity have thousands of years composing music.
so.. 60 years of music vs thousands of years. i think you are wrong anon: rock is not a big part of music
>>
>>61978869

> trying so hard to prove me wrong

I'm sure we understood each others but you're trying really hard to be a smart ass. Let me help you not being one by correcting my sentence.

Retrospectively, judging by our point of view in time, rock has taken a lot of our "recorded" music history.

But yeah sure, i'm sure there was some david bowie with two sticks back in the neolithic
>>
>>61978324
no
>>
>>61978957
yeah.. there is a lot of recorded rock music, but there are a lot of others genres being recorded, some of them even before rock.
are you trying to make a satire about primitive music?
im not trying to be a smart ass. this is truly what i think based and all the music that i've heard
>>
File: 1453039513695.png (47 KB, 1205x531) Image search: [Google]
1453039513695.png
47 KB, 1205x531
>>61978957
>>
>>61979022

I cannot believe how much of a smartass you're being. Let's keep on playing.

Yes, I am making a satire about primitive music, and if you are OP i'd find hilarious that you're the one calling me on that.
But go ahead and enlighten me, since you seem to know about that.

Tell me where you there at that time ?
How were they playing it ?
Did they have a break and drank some water in water bottle (in wood, obviously) before each concert ?

About yourself, did you participate in these ? When is your fire mixtape ? Is that "all the other rock" you were talking about ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98
>>
>>61979134
>just because it wasn't recorded in muh album format it doesn't count

Folk, classical, jazz, shit even R&B has a longer, more varied and richer variety and history than pop/rock.
>>
>>61979134
im not OP,
i was not there, anon, of course i was not there...
and that video is a good example of a really old music.
have you ever seen the film koyaanisqatsi? in that film there are some tribes playing their music and its absolutely different to the music that we hear now. the sound it's not only different: the relation between the music and the people making it it's different.
another good example its ancient greek music, the ancient greek music clears the state of individuation and make all the people reunited there one.

also, as the image of OP saids, the electronic music before techno its something really curious: some guys in the 50's find out that they can make music with computers, computers that dont even have a monitor. and they just find the way to do it, making the first approach to a synth.
anoter curius example is musique concrete, also electronic music. people find out that recorded music or sounds could be manipulated and they start making music with that.all that before rock music. you dont even have to take the primitive music to think about music that have been recorded before rock to nowadays
>>
>>61979218
You're implying shit I didn't say here bud'

>>61979230
Nice you're actually giving me reasons.
But you're talking about the relation to music rather than the music. I mean it's cool and all since it got me thinking deep questions like "Do we actually like music or is it a form of social contagion ( I don't know if you call it like that in english)"
But yet that doesn't make the music better, the relation was.
But yeah I get your point about rock, I'll totally admit that saying " most of music" when talking about rock was wrong. Let's say "most of the contemporary music" (or "mainstream" easy af )
>>
Someone post my pyramid and show this guy how real men make music tiers.
>>
Anyone who thinks rock and pop music isn't a significant portion of total music must be delusional. Before the 1900s we had what, a couple of thousand composers, each putting out everything from a handful to a few thousand works. Today, we have literally millions of artists who put out music every single day. I would be absolutely flabbergasted if we didn't create as much music in the last ten years alone as we did the entire history of man before the 1900s.
>>
>>61979340
This is not counting traditional folk musicians, who we can't really know how many there were or how much music they produced. This is only considering the music that has survived in some form. I still doubt there were millions of traditional folk musicians who were actively making new music - it's based on tradition, after all.
>>
>>61979340
>being this ignorant
>using Hampus name

Anyone who knows Hampus knows he wouldn't say something so blatantly ignorant.
>>
>>61979295
music is a form of art and the relation between the composer and the audience its something important. the residents its a band that even have a theory about that: for them music or any form of art should be composed without thinking what the audience is going to think. they just composed what they want, they dont try to fit in something and they just do it. thats another example.
yes, maybe just telling that there are other forms of relations in other genres dont make rock more shity. so, why do i think that rock is shit? because rock have influenced the most horrible part of our music. they promote that form of composition that i talk about some post back (A B A B C B). anything since the horrible beatles to justin bieber that follow that pattern is shit to me. fucking boring music, every song is the same. "a music that you dont know when its going to finish" someone use to talk about that. its so boring to know before hand everything that its going to happend when you listen somehing. i like music that i have to listen a few times since i can even remeber a melody. maybe im an idiot but when i can remember those beutiful melodies i have fun. a riif that its just a 4 seconds idea repetead 1000 times in a song its not fun for me
>>
>>61979340
a lot of genres other than rock are being recorded now and were recorded before rock. electronic music is older than rock and have been recorded earlier and still being recorded. jazz music is the same, classical music too. you dont have any idea what you are saying, rock is just a small percentage againts all those genrers
>>
>>61979401
That's why I said pop and rock you little shit.
>>
Where does post-rock fit into all of this.
>>
>>61979372
This genuinely looks like a copypasta, and that's probably because it is.
>>
>>61979340

They have a point. You don't.
It's an quantitative count you're doing. We're talking qualitatively, meaning what was the trend at the moment. Do you see the difference ?
Because we could count every song done and have an odd number that doesn't mean nothing.

>>61979372

Is that your only argument against rock ? I'm not going to defend the beatles, you're free to like or not. But saying that rock is generic, is ignoring every sub-genre.
But yeah I can understand that you don't like repeated melodies. Sadly it's the same in many genres.
>>
>traditional folk
10,000s of years

>classical
000's of years

>jazz
110 years

>r&b/soul/funk
75 years

>electronic music
75 years

>pop/rock
55 years
>>
>>61979432
all other rock
>>
File: 1449987247857.jpg (18 KB, 409x377) Image search: [Google]
1449987247857.jpg
18 KB, 409x377
>>61979447

> calling 10,000 years two fucking word that doesn't even mean what he meant

Fuck you all I'm out the b8 thread
>>
>>61978324
>country
>shit
>>
>>61979436
not copy pasta my friend, im wrinting all this stuff right now

>>61979437
rock is generic, tell me why its not? for me there is not difference between metal and punk, just the colour. its like the same thing filled with different colours. ohh look! now there is a chorus! wow now we have the same melody that in the beggining. WOW!! CHOURUS AGAIN! FUCK YEAH! now the part that its different its so cool! now a chorus again what a surprise! and now it have to end, there is not other way it could be.... its all the same, in every genre. its boring and not very creative. for me, its enough to said something is shit
>>
>>61979468
>lose argument
>call it b8

You knew full what I meant.
>>
>>61979437
They're also making a quantitive count you idiot. I never said a single thing about quality, only about quantity, just like I constantly see many others do when they say "but le 1000 of years of music before rock so much omg"
>>
OBJECTIVE RANKINGS

>GOD TIER
music I like

>MEH TIER
music I think is just ok

>SHIT TIER
music I don't like
>>
>>61979484
Plenty of rock doesn't follow the verse-chorus format, just like any other genre.
>>
>>61979484

Ok but every music is like that you know. You're free to innovate. You can't blame rock for that.
I could play some soul songs with the same chords of a rock song. I could play rnb and sing alternative lyrics. Music is mostly generic, I really dig the genres trying to innovate but they aren't much really. And they are innovative rock you're not digging deep enough, you might be bored by the same fucking chords played in rock but the same chords can be played in many different ways.

>>61979488
You meant that 10,000 years of music could fit in these two words which, atm, just mean music made from acoustic and traditional instrument. Is that what you really meant ? Do you mean that for instance old gospel is in "traditional folk" and that a genre like flamenco is traditional folk.
Is throat singing a traditional folk genre bud ?
>>
>>61979589
man, im telling you that the first guys that made electronic music had yo program some computers that dont even had a monitor, the way that its produce its a lot more creative than rock.
you are saying what you are saying for not know anything else but that same thing repited over and over again. or you just cant see it. you told me that you hear jazz and nu jazz, in those genrers its weird to listen two things that are similar. i mean..

what do you find similar between these two bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJPplqqZBqE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXPoQiZzdO0

both are modern jazz bands.
and if you listen to free jazz or stuff like that its more simple to see
read about schoenberg and his system to compose, totally different to anything made before his time: he created a system that allows you to compose withour repeating the same pattern in the same song, you never know what is coming next.
some people call it a meme, but in noise music every fucking song is different: everything is so ramdon that you cant tell me that something is similar to other song... i mean you can said oh that one was noise and this one too, but the way those sounds were put together its truly different each time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2j0bHVF8rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mmjs_jwn_4
>>
>>61979589
Folk music includes both traditional music and the genre that evolved from it during the 20th century folk revival. The term originated in the 19th century but is often applied to music that is older than that. Some types of folk music are also called world music.
Traditional folk music has been defined in several ways: as music transmitted orally, or as music with unknown composers. It has been contrasted with commercial and classical styles. One meaning often given is that of old songs, with no known composers; another is music that has been transmitted and evolved by a process of oral transmission or performed by custom over a long period of time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_music
https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Traditional+Folk+Music/
>>
>>61979528
accurate as fuck
>>
>>61978324
>this is what /cleep/tards believe
lmao
>>
>>61979714
>cleep
>>
metal is the one with only screaming right y would ne1 listen to this lets put it into shit tier xD
>>
>>61979447
>pop and rock has produced more interesting music than other genres in hunreds of years
wow
>>
>>61979736
Said no one intelligent, ever
>>
>>61979035
fuck, that nail couldn't have a bigger fucking head
i know perfect pussy
>>
>>61979742
It is true
>>
>>61979776
>I am stupid and proud
>>
>>61979447
>classical
1000's of years

Try 500, barely anything before Renaissance and Baroque era is worth listening to
>>
>muh hundreds of years
Is it so hard for folk classicalfags to understand that music is developing way faster now?
>>
>>61979785
Wow, you totally proved me wrong retard
>>
>>61979679

Okay but you just don't notice the difference between the different rock. Even in the beatles'discography, the most generic songs are different. We could argue about the real difference between each song but i'm not doing that. I admit they're similar but that doesn't mean anything.

Is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzQvGz6_fvA

The same as this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtN8oBjMr_E

or maybe this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ7qXHjxj_0
?

(I used songs from different eras on purpose)

The chords, the progression, the solo, the lyrics, the instruments used in each song, everything matters. So yeah, while Jazz or Classical are the most innovative genres I can think of, that doesn't make each rock song less unique.

I just believe you don't try it more often, you didn't find a good album to dig in rock. But i'm not an expert either, I enjoy some songs here and there.

>>61979705
This is not an answer but a pasta from wiki. I asked how come you jammed 10,000 years of music into two words that just defines any music played with traditional ways/instruments. Stop pasting and wet yourself with an answer since you're so intelligent and I'm an idiot.
>>
>>61978324
why the fuck do you idiots circlejerk over krautrock? It's just more boring German progressive rock
>>
>>61979794
There is so little difference between 90% of rock its not even making up dumb subgenre labels for it.
>>
>>61979823
>There is so little difference between 90% of rock
Ok so you don't know what you are talking about at all

>dumb subgenre labels
They are dumb for clueless retards like you
>>
File: 1444447010794s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1444447010794s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>61978324
>>
>>61979841
>denial
>>
post-avant jazzcore is better than progressive dreamfunk
>>
>>61979862
keep proging your retardation
>>
>>61979862

No he's right you just don't know shit about music. Try again b8-man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_genres
>>61978729
>>
>>61979035
4 of these are unironically true
>>
File: animals-as-leaders-4faf0af52d65e.jpg (362 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
animals-as-leaders-4faf0af52d65e.jpg
362 KB, 1000x1000
>>61978324
>metal
>shit tier
implying djent isn't the pinnacle of creativity
>>
>>61979894
but y would u listen to only screaming lets put it with shit tier xD
>>
>>61979919
That album is instrumental
>>
>>61979928
That's kinda my point
>>
>>61979886
>theres hundreds of meaningless sub, sub, subgenre labels so it must have variety

loooooooool
>>
>>61979942
>anything I don't understand is meaningless
Just shut up you retard
>>
>>61979942
Okay big boi, tell which one is the same as which one
I'm listening, correct this list. I'm ready. My heart is open, show me the way.
You must know that, since you're saying some shit, nigga.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 349x642) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 349x642
>>61978501
>>
>>61979948
>>61979958
Rock
Metal
Punk

They're the only rock subgenres that matter.
>>
>>61978514
nice autismastic post
>>
>>61980058
epic
>>
File: seriously.png (558 KB, 694x681) Image search: [Google]
seriously.png
558 KB, 694x681
>>61980058

> mfw when someone this retard is still alive

natural selection is a myth
>>
File: 1449922061640.png (7 KB, 465x369) Image search: [Google]
1449922061640.png
7 KB, 465x369
>mfw your favourite music genre is not even in the list
>>
>>61978324
I hate when people try to rate genres like this because all they're trying to do is make people feel bad about listening to music they enjoy.
>>
>>61980526
Impossible.
>>
>>61978324
accurate af tb h fa milia
>>
>>61979804
im talking about form and what that form contains. im saying that there is a form (A B A B C B) that is repeted in almost every pop/rock song, since the beatles, punk bands as the clash the ramones, going trought metallica, slipknot, even bands as the fall of troy in some of their songs use that form. what that form contains may be different, but that form is repeted againg and again in almost every song
>>
>>61979804
>>61983175
in the songs that i posted here >>61979679 the form is different and what it contains is also different in songs of the same genre.
of course that the chord progresion is different in pop songs, the seven notes and the five semi tones can be combined in a finite way, but again, the form is repeated
>>
>>61978365
directly related to popularity.
>least popular>somewhat popular>most popular
>>
File: 1453588411494.jpg (389 KB, 1284x980) Image search: [Google]
1453588411494.jpg
389 KB, 1284x980
>>61978324
>techno in anything but shit tier

okay ill trust your opinions
>>
whoever made this image is going to die of aids
>>
>>61978324
Faggot OP forgot ska.
>>
File: 1433322855590.png (53 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1433322855590.png
53 KB, 200x200
>>61983476
>not liking detroit techno or acknowledging that it takes root in a greatly interesting musical tradition
>>
>>61984025
traditional folk

unless you mean ska-punk which is all other rock
>>
File: 2846573o27464037.png (324 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
2846573o27464037.png
324 KB, 1440x2560
>>61984087
It's okay to be wrong <3
>>
>>61984233
>Stylistic origins
>Jamaican mento
So thats ska

>fusion genres
>fusion with pop punk and horns
so thats ska-punk

Yes, you can be wrong, I'll let you.
>>
File: b8d.png (181 KB, 965x965) Image search: [Google]
b8d.png
181 KB, 965x965
>>61984269
>>
>>61978324
Anyone else hate orchestral music, but like other classical music? Orchestras just seem like wank to me.
>>
File: suicide by text.jpg (46 KB, 800x550) Image search: [Google]
suicide by text.jpg
46 KB, 800x550
>>61984315
>calling it b8 when you lose
>>
>>61984354
I like this goy
>>
>>61978324
Move ambient and noise to shit tier
>>
a
u
d
ism
>>
File: seriously.jpg (41 KB, 800x550) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
41 KB, 800x550
>>61984405
>>
>>61984535
I'd play more dumb image posting games but I'm on my phone. Sorrym8
>>
Why rate genres though, what's the point?
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.