[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ctr+f >no vinyl thread Post your recent purchases. Good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 768x1024
>ctr+f
>no vinyl thread

Post your recent purchases. Good taste edition.
Pic related just came in today
>>
today I passed up a south of heaven picture disc for $40
>>
I see you too, are a fan of the greatest satrical piece on American culture in history
>>
>>61975351
stop this meme
>>
>>61975351

Fuck off Aaron
>>
>>61975365
http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1527282?ev=rb
>>
>>61975393
>>61975398

Stop shitposting please
>>
>>61975365

Picture discs are shit anon. Get the regular vinyl records.
>>
Is that a meme? Are you meming right now?
>>
>>61975351

Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>61975438

Of course he is. Look at the filename.

All iPhone users are shitposters.
>>
>>61975351
Wtf do you guys actually like this?

I thought it was a meme. I'm being memed right now aren't I.

You spent 24.99 + shipping in all likelihood to confuse me and make me question whether people actually like this album.

Go fuck yourself.
>>
without a doubt the least funny meme of 2015
>>
>>61975503
>>61975491
>>61975441
>>61975438
Jason Aldean is one of the most commercially successful acts in popular music in the past 10 years.
It's been a decade since he released an album that didn't chart in the top 5.
He's enjoyed 3 straight LPs that leaked at number 1.
>>
File: 20160112_200508.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160112_200508.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>
>>61975695

>it's popular, so it means it's good
>>
>>61975695

Because today's country music fans hear everything muffled through their ass.
>>
>>61975723
Emotion is key..
I have to refute a lot of comments here on the definition of what is good music..
Good music does not define the topic at hand, nor the genre, nor the style, nor whether there is words/lyrics..
It's is defined by how well the emotion/goal/objective is achieved in regards to the topic, genre, style it is intended for..
So yes, if the song is about sex and drugs, then pull that off well in bringing the audience into that picture, then it's good music..
Not every song must be about love topic..
And yes, if metal music is about anger and power, then pull that off well to bring the audience in that picture..
And regards to lyrics, there are also a lot of great instrumentals around.. if lyrics are to be included.. then make sure the lyrics carry out it's meaning well..
Each genre/style is pulling off an emotion.. it's about pulling that emotion off..
The problem with today's music is they forgot emotion, they just play fashion..
Aldean masterfully plays with your emotions in his hits "If My Truck Could Talk" and "Big Green Tractor."

If you listen to the great Beatles records, the earliest ones where the lyrics are incredibly simple. Why are they still beautiful? Well, they're beautifully sung, beautifully played, and the mathematics in them is elegant. They retain their elegance.
Jason Aldean masterfully retains these qualities with a modern day twist. Truly one of the few artists who innovates in his genre yet maintains what is truly most important in music: Emotion.
>>
File: IMG_1039.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1039.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
>>61975762
New copypasta?
>>
>>61975762
this desu. Aldean is pushing boundaries.. anyone who says he's a meme hasn't listened to the album with an open mind
>>
>>61975762
This is beautiful, it made me believe in music again. Thank you for /mu/ving me
>>
File: CWpv1VeVAAIwkZe.png (869 KB, 1024x1240) Image search: [Google]
CWpv1VeVAAIwkZe.png
869 KB, 1024x1240
>>61975926
niceme.me
>>
>>61975491
>2016
>thinking Jason Aldean isn't one of the best artists of the century

I don't even like country but Jason Aldean is another kind of country entirely. It isn't the genre that makes him good. He's just a fantastic artist.
>>
>>61975762
I don't know if you're being serious or not but i'm downloading his album right now so good job.
>>
>>61975351
>>61975926
Great taste.

>>61975764
>>61975717
Pleb trash, gtfo.
>>
>>61975968
Dumb weeb.
>>
>>61975926
kill yourself you fucking faggot
>>
>>61975926
Nice, I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail, great taste desu.
>>61976030
Shit taste desu.
>>
>>61975997
Enjoy. You definitely won't regret the listen. Let me know what you think of it.
>>
>>61975997

It's just a shitty-ass country pop, anon.
>>
>>61976062
It's a great progressive country album, get non shit taste anon.
>>
>>61976062
Fuck off you contrarian prick.

In "Old Boots, New Dirt" Jason masterfully satirizes your average conservative, southern American. The chords blend wonderfully with Aldean's smooth, honky-tonk twang in songs like "Burnin' it Down." My personal favorite is "If My Truck Could Talk." In Jason's modern-day magnum opus, he describes his pick up truck. A truck that holds many emotional values and sentiments for Jason. This old truck has stories to tell – it’s seen some things. It’s been in a few compromising situations (“fence post, door dent”) and it’s also witnessed its driver doing some things he’d rather not remember. This avant garde pièce de résistance of modern country will be considered one of the greats for many years to come.
>>
>>61975926
Legit hang yourself over stream so I can watch.
>>
>>61976115
Shit taste m8.
>>
>>61976098
>Thinking it's satire and not a genuine blue collar critique of satire of conservative life style
Hipster trash like you are the reason people think this album is a meme. Just go back to reddit or fucking kill yourself
>>
>>61975926
My copy is noisy and warped, I had to send it back, a shame.
>>
File: recent.jpg (438 KB, 1600x1060) Image search: [Google]
recent.jpg
438 KB, 1600x1060
Went to a bunch of Chicago shops
>>
I hate this board
>>
>>61976227
Nice Haul mate, but this thread has been flooded by people memeing the Jason Aldean album
Best wait until this thread dies and move to an actual haul thread
>>
>buying obsolete formats

>b-but i love the warm analog sound!
>i love the big album art!
>love that crackle

There are so many better ways to listen to music and vinyl collectors know it. That's why they always have to give excuses to why they collect useless old plastic
>>
>>61976296
I don't give any excuses, it's just a hobby of mine. I understand the aversion to it, I just legitimately think it's fun to go in record shops and see them line my shelf.
>>
>>61976296
Of course there are. I like going to shops and talking with people and listening to music I'd otherwise not be exposed to. I could sit in my basement and listen to perfect flacs all day long but that's not engaging enough for me

I'm gonna die someday anyway so fuck it
>>
>>61976319
>>61976327

>I listen to music for the social aspects
>I collect vinyl because i like hanging out in musty dank shops to waste money in

Vinyl losers giving excuses again
>>
>>61975351
Great taste, I got the blue vinyl version, its really nice looking.
>>
>>61976347
Ah I see.
Another poorfag
I hope Sanders wins so you can get that $15 minimum wage and stop being so assblasted some people make more money than you.
>>
>>61976392

>he doesn't throw his money away
>must be poor

This is what plastic collectors believe
>>
>>61976392
>I call other people poor to justify my poor buying decisions
>>
>>61976413
>stop liking what I don't like
>>
>>61976413
>gets butthurt other people have a hobby he can't afford and complains about it on the internet
>>
>>61976444
It's 2016, as long as you have access to the internet you don't need to afford music! You can keep more money in your pocket and enjoy a superior listening experience. :)
>>
>>61976347
>I like the comfort of my basement and mommy makes me chicken tendies
>>
>>61976464
Once again, I can afford it and enjoy it.
>caring this much about what people do
>>
>>61975351
Wow, what a waste of money
>>
>ctrl+f
>vinyl 6 results
>not 12"

Kill everyone in this thread
>>
>>61976542
not all vinyl is 12"
>>
>>61976164
>Just go back to reddit
but reddit hates country senpai
>>
>>61976553
Almost everyone buy those though, also you can say 7" or 10" or whatever if you have them.

Funny thing is /mu/ used to cringe about those tumblr users writing "vinyl" in their posts, now the whole board says "vinyl", it tells you about the quality of the board
>>
>>61976646
Yeah, you're clearly one of those 'It's so ironic I love my liberalism and le indie' types
You're memeing this masterpiece, and if there's 2 things leddit loves it's unfunnny memes and liberals
>>
>>61976665
>unny thing is /mu/ used to cringe about those tumblr users writing "vinyl" in their posts

This has never happened
>>
>>61976358

Not OP

I was late int the game...

1. Black vinyl
2. Blue vinyl (limited to 500 copies),
3. Olive red inside cloud 'color-in-color' vinyl (limited to 200 copies and only sold in Jason Aldean/Death Grips bundle).

Ordered 2 black vinyls, one to play on a lazy Sunday afternoon and one as a keepsake
>>
>>61976733
You have less than 4 years in here
>>
>>61976919
Posted in recent purchase threads since like 2008 or so. People would cringe at 'vinyls' and there would be threads about people on tumblr posting in #vinyl but nobody's ever been criticized for using vinyl properly
>>
>>61975997
Lmao holy shit.
>>
So, my receiver has bass and treble tone controls...Should I just leave those in the middle? What's /mu/'s opinion on this?
>>
>>61975351
Epic. He did it for the memes the absolute madman
>>
>>61976347
The only time you go outdoors is when your mom drives you to the drycleaner to pick up your fedoras
>>
>>61975717

hey man. how does the A Promise vinyl sound? that's the Absolutely Kosher pressing, right? Been looking for that for ages because it's the only pressing with the gay prostitute artwork...
>>
>>61975351
>image.jpg

Stop this meme madness... LET ME OFF THIS CRAZY TRAIN
>>
>>61975717
Oh wow. Where did you find stgstv? How much did you pay?
>>
>>61976227
Admiring that Sun Araw. Nice album.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 227x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 227x250
>>61975997
Lel
>>
>>61975717
how much did Drukqs set you back?
>>
>>61978372
it's the repress but I had to have it when I saw it in the bin
>>
I've never setup a turntable before. Do I HAVE to align the headshell using a protractor?
>>
>>61980412
also if I'm using an o2 amp and headphones do I use PHONO or LINE?
>>
>>61980412
Have to? No.
Should you? Yes.

The purpose of aligning it ensures you don't get wobble near the center grooves. Ideally, the stylus should start and finish at the same angle, perfectly perpendicular to the record, but unless it's a linear tracking table, it's impossible, but angling it properly can get pretty close. It's a set it and forget it thing, unless you bump it or replace the cart.
>>
Why would I ever go to a record store over just ordering shit off Discogs? If I'm looking for a classic/well known album is it almost easier to just get it off of Discogs/Juno?
>>
>>61981643
it's cheaper and more fun
pro-tip: record collecting isn't about having a grocery list and going out and getting all those albums as soon as you can. it's about the deals and the thrills of finding something you've been looking for forever
>>
File: 1438701143718.gif (176 KB, 264x282) Image search: [Google]
1438701143718.gif
176 KB, 264x282
>>61976296
>>61976347
>>61976413

Getting this booty busted over someone elses hobby
>>
>>61981681
Fair enough, I actually do enjoy that.

Should I be troubling myself thinking about different pressings and shit like that when starting out or should I just go to the store, browse and just pick up whatever I like be it new/used?
>>
>>61981858
Depends on what kind of collector you want to be. Do you just want any copy of an album? Does it need to be in tip-top shape or can you handle some audible crackles?

Personally, I try to be a higher-end collector which mostly means original presses in VG+ or higher. Costs me more dough sometimes, but it's got this additional coolness to know I'm holding something like an original copy of In Utero and not just some repress
>>
>>61981858
personally i don't worry too much about pressings
i've been burned with maybe 1 record out of 300 that was a bad enough pressing that i notice the quality is bad (a Bob Dylan one)
it wouldn't be fun to me to be constantly having to crosscheck all the different pressings and make sure i have the right one
i just worry more about looking at the record before i buy and make sure there aren't any bad scratches/scuffs on it (another thing you can't do when you buy online)
and a lot of record stores have a turntable to give 'er a listen before you take it home
>>
>>61975717
Where'd you find that Exuma partner?
>>
buying a record that was pressed after cds were the norm = being cucked
>>
>>61977787
I'd leave them alone. Sometimes I'll turn the bass up if I'm playing an electronic record but that's about it.
>>
>>61981932
I just like having a legit physical copy. Original pressings interest me as a cool boon, but not something that I NEED to have. I feel like it would just stress me out trying to have only original pressings.

As long as it's not a bootleg/unofficial.
>>
>>61981858
yea some good points here >>61981932

personally i buy records to listen to them first and foremost. i think if you're buying records to try to get rich, you're fucking up. the vinyl bubble will burst before too long.

as a general rule, i try to go for original pressings if i can. they generally are worth the most money and often times have better sound than represses. but if there is a scratched up original copy of In Utero and a flawless repress of In Utero, i'm going for the repress. (also have to factor in the price, how bad the scratches are.....it all just depends)
>>
>>61982041
Yeah. I'm still a student so honestly going for original pressings is not something I can afford anyway
>>
>>61982065
If you're smart, OG presses are cheaper than reissues

New reissue of The Queen is Dead is about 26
Immaculate OG pressing is 20

I got two Fugazi OGs for 10 a pop as well

Really the average /mu/ user's taste is not expensive. It only gets bad when you start diving into real rare psych from other countries or private press shit. And for situations like that, reissue labels like Light in the Attic are the daysavers
>>
>>61982340
Whats the easiest way to get original presses?
>>
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 750x1334
Buying this
>>
>>61982359
Garage sales and markets. Ebay, if you're quick and lucky.
>>
>>61976009
you're pleb trash so you get the fuck out
>>
>>61982359
It's all based on either your knowledge of records or how quality your local stores are

My local store puts loads of time into making sure a record's pressing is as certain as possible. I may be biased because i work for said local store and do my absolute best to make sure we are accurate on pressings though.

If a store doesn't list the pressing, you can pop the catalog numbers verbatim into discogs. Things like the Beatles and Bob Dylan have so many pressings its fucking awful to try to navigate, but lesser things are easy enough usually. Discogs even lets you look up how much a pressing has sold for in various conditions lately. Some hacks may see the avg selling price and mark a record 15 when in reality that's what it is going for in mint condition, thus their VG+ copy should be a bit cheaper

If you get real good, you can look at a record's center label and date it though. Impulse! put out lots of 70s reissues with labels that the originals never had
>>
If i posted some records i think are bootlegs, would you guys be able to verify for me?
>>
>>61982773
Record store guy

Yes i will do that
>>
>>61982439
Thanks man. I'm looking through Discogs and I can see how you can easily find original pressings now.

What dictates whether an albums original pressing is expensive or not? Does the country matter?
>>
>>61982818
Country does influence it. An OG Japanese issue is usually worth more than a US for whatever reason, but in places where the artist was a Brit and it was released in Bongland first, UK presses tend to be a bit more valued

Also sometimes it works out that an album is released in one country year or two before another. So while a US issue of whatever album is a "first US pressing" it actually isn't really a first press because it came out in Britain a year earlier

Also for most all krautrock, OG German issues are worth WAY more

Main thing that drives price is demand, relevance, popularity, and acclaim. There's this zone out there of hyper expensive collector shit in all genres that may be totally unknown like some Finnish psych dronefolk band from the 70s called International Traveler (even reissues are over 100 USD), but stuff like an OG issue of Remain in Light is only 15-20 bucks

Also from 1990-2008 was the death of the record so less were pressed by major labelsmaking them much more rare. That's how a Nelly record from 2004 ends up being more than a Beatles or Smiths first press
>>
>>61982987
>Also from 1990-2008 was the death of the record so less were pressed by major labels making them much more rare

is that why OG Loveless is so expensive?

Am I better off buying reissues of 90s albums then?
>>
Is wood glue cleaning a good idea?
A lot of my mom's old records have some real gross shit in them that regular cleaning can't get out.
>>
>>61983172
It cost me 90 dollars for an OG issue of In Utero on clear vinyl, so i'd say so

BUT that only really applies to major label releases. I don't know much about what the deal is with Loveless. But its acclaim and relevance and popularity does help keep cost high

But you can get 90s Fugazi, Shellac, etc for decent prices.

Things that started out with no one giving a fuck so real small release, those are worth buckets too (like my OG copy of Bee Thousand my gf got me for my birthday)
>>
>>61983265
Just take them to a professional place that has a VPI machine. Vacuum suck that shit outta the grooves with much less room for error/destruction
>>
>>61983305
No places around here have them, I've been to all my local record stores, they only sell those little vinylstyl spray kit things
>>
is there anyone here into country music?
what are the essentials?
>>
>>61975351
>where were you when meme magic became real?
where to cop please
>>
>>61983356
George Straight
Merle Haggard
Outlaw era Willie Nelson
Johnny Cash
Carter Family
Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis had some country rockabilly shit
Carl Perkins
Earl Scuggs if you don't mind some bluegrass
>>
>>61983333
Tell your local stores they blow anus then
>>
>>61983290
Final question (I hope). How can I tell if it's an original pressing when I'm in a record store other than knowing beforehand/looking it up.

Could I just ask the guy at the counter?
>>
>>61982393
excellent Montie, this will certainly get you an A+ in meme school my friend
>>
>>61983443
I live in small town New York, they can barely afford records let alone a $1000 cleaning machine
>>
>>61983421
>Willie Nelson
He seems cool, thanks
>>
>>61983450
I mean unless you're talking to a veteran who can tell you based off catalog number and label what pressing it is, they're going to do the same thing as you and pull up discogs to take a look

There are many hacks in this world of records who grade poorly and are too stupid to list pressing information. A quality store should keep its albums in 12.5'' or greater outer sleeves with a sticker on the outer sleeve listing all relevant info like WRITING ON LABEL, INCLUDES PTD INSERT, 1988 RUSSIAN PRESSING, etc
>>
>>61983450
I guess I'll just look it up on my phone when I'm in store.

Thanks for answering my questions man, you've been helpful
>>
>>61975351
How much did that Jason Aldean set you back bro?
>>
>>61983479
>>61983479
It is not easy being professional but it does take money to make money and is very much worth it

Nothing better than putting out some freshly VPI'd records for customers

>>61983560
Doin' my best
>>
>>61983792
Are you bothered with what country the issue is from or do you usually just go with whatever cheapest? I can't imagine I would like any of the packaging to be in a foreign language.
>>
>>61983835
I don't really give a fuck but usually Russians have Russian editions and so on, so i'm not going to pay the 16 bucks for shipping

Some stuff is exclusive to a country, like the soundtrack LP to anime film Night on the Galactic Railroad i have. Totally Japanese everything

Usually i just aim for UK or US though. Plenty of those in abundance compared to say a New Zealand pressing
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.