[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for darker alternative rock like manic street
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: manics_holy_bible.jpg (56 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
manics_holy_bible.jpg
56 KB, 500x500
I'm looking for darker alternative rock like manic street preacher's the holy bible.
>>
>>61957699
Okay it doesn't have to be like manic street preachers. I just want something that doesn't sound like the strokes, the national, interpol, wilco. That totally lifeless garbage that doesn't belong on this earth.
>>
>>61957699
listen to Journal For Plague Lovers by Manic Street Preachers

it's a bit lighter music-wise, and the lyrics are often filled with irony rather than genuine disgust/anger, but it should appeal to you
>>
>>61957712
Muse.

Really! Imagine if MSP took a gonzo approach to incorporating Queen and prog-rock into their music, and stuck with it for almost 20 years. Most people on /mu/ find it impossible to take them seriously, but at the very least I promise you they are dark and aggressively unlike The Strokes, The National, Wilco, etc.
>>
>>61958096
>Imagine if MSP took a gonzo approach to incorporating Queen and prog-rock into their musi
that sounds awful
>>
File: 51WT7JXW94L._SY300_.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
51WT7JXW94L._SY300_.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>
Afghan whigs
>>
File: musemusese[1].jpg (246 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
musemusese[1].jpg
246 KB, 630x630
>>61958108
"Good" was not one of your listed criteria. If I were to add that to the list, I would say try this album--a lot of people agree it's their best. It's an early one, from when they were still relatively bullshit-free.
>>
>>61957712
>Strokes
>the national
>interpol
>Wilco
>lifeless
WAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA
>>
>>61958331
I'm sorry for your loss.
>>
>>61958158

Came to post Afghan Whigs as well. Listen to them, anon.
>>
>>61957699
gold against the soul
>>
>>61957699
There's nothing quite like The Holy Bible OP. But check out these:

In Utero (obvious choice, but it was a big influence in THB)
Brand New - Daisy (has an aggressive, raw sound, sort of like In Utero)
The Downward Spiral (you probably heard this already)
Prick - s/t (industrial rock in the vein of TDS)
Klimt 1918 - Undressed Memento (gothic alternative rock, proto-blackgaze, underrated stuff but not as aggressive as THB)
Maganize - Real Life (huge influence on James Dean Bradfield, kinda sounds like THB sometimes except more funny)
Simple Minds - Empires And Dance (another influence on James Bradfield, it has a cold sound but it's more synthpop)
Women - Public Strain (dissonant noisish rock, you probably heard this already)

Also, check out Life Becoming a Landslide EP, the release that preceded THB. One of the tracks, Comfort Comes, sounds exactly like a Holy Bible track. Also, during the recording of that album, they heard a lot of Wire, Cranes and Joy Division, so try out those if you haven't.
>>
>>61961126
>Prick - s/t (industrial rock in the vein of TDS)
>Klimt 1918 - Undressed Memento (gothic alternative rock, proto-blackgaze, underrated stuff but not as aggressive as THB)
>Maganize - Real Life (huge influence on James Dean Bradfield, kinda sounds like THB sometimes except more funny)
>Simple Minds - Empires And Dance (another influence on James Bradfield, it has a cold sound but it's more synthpop)
Thank you for the interesting suggestions, I haven't heard these ones before.
>>
>>61959357
Yo this album is underrated as tits Sleepflower is a classic

>>61957762
Check this out op it's very good desu
>>
This is the album you're looking for. Extremely underrated but dark as hell.
>>
File: Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg (66 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg
66 KB, 300x300
>>
>>61961793
>The Twilight Sad
mah nigga
>>
>>61957699
What are some other rock albums made by mentally damaged people?
>>
>>61961793
I only listened to their debut, are the other albums as good?
>>
>>61957699
consideri alt rock is just commercialized post hardcore / college rock you should just listen to those classics
>>
>>61962802
>college rock
please explain to me what this is supposed to mean.
>>
>>61962746
All of their albums are great and worth at least one listen. Really consistent band.
>>
>>61962802
>alt rock is just commercialized post hardcore / college rock
That's the dumbest thing I read in a while
>>
>>61962746
In my opinion, yeah. They sound a bit different from their debut, but I still like them.
>>
>>61962848
why
>>
>>61962746
Controversial opinion here, but I think their first album is their weakest (including the most recent one, which is pretty good if you know which tracks to skip). Their sound changed a lot on the subsequent releases.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.