[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Pleb Stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: 1444360106339.jpg (26 KB, 236x272) Image search: [Google]
1444360106339.jpg
26 KB, 236x272
Rapfag got BTFO by a music appreciation professor in college. Not even music theory. Music appreciation.
>Assignment is to present a song that we enjoy, identify the musical elements, and use the terms learned in class to explain why we enjoy it
>Seems easy enough
>Rapfag presents some Kendrick Lamar song
>Professor cuts his presentation short because of the explicit language
>"So rapfag, what about this song do you enjoy? What are the musical elements?"
>"Uh... I like the lyrics."
>"Lyrics are not a musical element. What about the music do you enjoy?"
>"I like the beat, I guess. It has a nice groove to it."
>"Can you be more specific? Try using some of the terms you've learned in this class."
>"Uhh... wait, what are you asking for?"
>"I'm asking you to use the terms you've learned in this class to identity the musical elements in this song that appeal to you."
>"Uhh... Wait... I don't know... Uhh... I like the beat and the melodies a lot..."
>several more awkward minutes of incoherent stuttering and uhhh...
>professor nods and smiles at the vague ass answer and writes something on his clipboard
>"Alright, you can sit down. Next..."
>Ran into the rapfag in the hallway about a week later
>"Man, I'm so glad I dropped that class."
>mfw he got rekt so hard that he dropped
>>
This is embarrassing
>>
>chilling with friends
>put morton feldman's second string quartet
>confront myself and my self (as an ontological historical entity) with the mirror of atonality (as a mirror is not an empathic but a reflexive entity, alien to the space and time it reflects and only existing by itself in relation to the other) and realize the boundaries of human thought, comprehension and consciousness
>reach rational ecstasy
>pleb friend gets up and says "what is this silence shit, lmao, put some nirvana"
>get angry at their rockist subaltern consumption conditioned by the structures of power of the imperialist white economies, but contain it
>calm myself down by remembering quotes from finnegans wake, my favorite book since i was a teenager
>mfw can't express myself because i'm a spectator in the society of spectacle

"It is not the slumber of reason which engenders monsters, but vigilant and insomniac rationality. - Gilles Deleuze"
>>
>>61937521
what did you present
>>
>>61937564
Smells Like Team Spirit
>>
>>61937560
kek

someone make this Guy chairman of Debord
>>
>>61937564
I presented Circle Takes The Square's "As The Roots Undo"
It's a concept album. I talked about the motifs that repeat throughout the album. I talked about the time signature changes and unusual song structure. I talked about the polyphonic male/female vocals, etc.
>>
>>61937689
fuckin hardcore <3
>>
File: 1437053612945.jpg (943 KB, 1027x1293) Image search: [Google]
1437053612945.jpg
943 KB, 1027x1293
>Walk into college
>Confronted by some normie jackass "mate"
>"Hey Anon, what's this?"
>Holds up his phone with a picture I liked on Facebook - Nurse with Wound list.
>"It's a list of musical acts that influenced a band, why?"
>I'm about to walk away into class when normie mate asks "Are they all indie?"
>I only really know a good 15 artists, "I don't know, some I guess"
>"Oh anon, your so indie!"
>Walk into class slightly confused at the conversation
>Normie mate sits next to me, "Why do you try so hard to be indie anon?"
>"I don't.. I just listen to what I like.
>Normie mate goes on for hours talking about this shit, i'm barely listening.
>Come back from gym exhausted and he's still yapping on about this.
>Get irritated and alittle mad
>"Listen Normie mate, It's not my fault that youre uncultered and haven't experienced any music, you're wearing a fucking joy division hoodie and have a 1975 tattoo on your arm, who's the real indie kid?"

fuck normies.
>>
I am cringing for eternity
>>
>>Professor cuts his presentation short because of the explicit language

This is how I know it is a bullshit story. College is for adults
>>
>>61937560
Still one of the best pastas produced by /mu/
>>
assorted pleb things I've heard my friends say
>Coldplay being better than Radiohead
>Listens to Nickelback radio on Pandora, then insults my taste
>TPAB is one of the best albums of all time
>Rap is the pinnacle of music in one genre
>Oh yeah I like the beat of this song (non hip-hop)
>Gorillaz is a GOAT band
>MBV is just a bunch of noise and shitty guitar riffs

>>61937689
thought you were >>61937578 for a sec
>>
>>61937769
>This is how I know it is a bullshit story. College is for adults

This is how I know that you've never been in college. Lectures want you take it semi-serious, cursing basically shows that you have very limited understanding of the topic and your filling with buzzwords to keep the audience or whomever mildly interested.
>>
>>61937779
Nah, the Nirvana guy was just some troll.
>>
>>61937521
At least this dick was free to chose his own music
>>
>>61937819
I presumed anon meant the professed stopped his presentation because the song had explicit language, but If the dude was cursing then he sounds like a dumb backpacker
>>
>>61937717
>he left out "Normie mate"'s reply because he got BTFO
>>
>>61937717
did you actually tell him he's uncultured and haven't experienced any music?

you're that guy?
>>
>in car with Mom
>Karma Police comes on
>song ends
>"Really anon? That wasn't even music" referring to distortion outro
>>
>Be me
>13 years old
>Listen to Nirvana
>"This music sucks anon"
>3 years later
>Everyone thinks Nirvana is cool and awesome
>"Anon, you only listen to this to fit in."
>>
>>61937521
The sad thing is that Kendrick is a decent enough artist that one of his songs could've easily been used for that presentation if the guy had any idea what he was talking about. I'm guessing the poor guy was just dumb in general. Also what the other anon said, I'm surprised the professor cut off the song, it's fucking college (and yes I am in college)

>>61939272
Now this is just baffling, Karma Police was literally a radio song.
>>
>>61937560
>tfw I spent all of last week slaving my ass on Deleuze's Le Pli
>tfw I want to take a break and just cop some albums and keks on this board
>tfw this fucking thing

Apart from that the version with the Collapse Journal instead of Finnegan's Wake is superior
>>
>>61937521
>Lyrics are not a musical element.

(not true by the way)
>>
File: kdidaebi84409jp3.jpg (84 KB, 650x420) Image search: [Google]
kdidaebi84409jp3.jpg
84 KB, 650x420
>>61939993
This was my face, by the way
>>
>>61940049
Lyrics != vocal delivery
>>
>>61940085
Lyrics are inherently tied to vocal delivery and meter
>>
>>61940120
Incorrect. The same meter and notes can be delivered with other words or just noises.
>>
>>61940137
>>61940120
I would say the delivery affects the lyrics, but not the other way around.
>>
>>61940137
Nope it can't, the choice of words is dependent on syllable patterns.
>>
>>61940228
Nigga what? Just use different words with the same syllables.
>>
>>61940251
same amount of syllables*
>>
>>61937521
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.
>>
>>61940251
You could do this but it doesn't change the fact that lyrics are inherently derived from musical properties and thus are a musical element.
>>
i really enjoy hip-hop. but still, i would never make a presentation about it in a music class because i don't want to talk about basslines, sampling and drums. it makes you look ignorant because rap is a stupidly easy genre to make. even if making really good beats requires a lot of skill. so yeah that guy is an idiot. would've probably done a presentation on tim buckley.
>>
File: samuel L. jackson.jpg (8 KB, 296x333) Image search: [Google]
samuel L. jackson.jpg
8 KB, 296x333
Best one was back in sophomore year of high school

>talking to acquaintance about music on way into history class
>trying to explain to him why and how Coldplay came into existence as a radio-friendly Radiohead
>sit down and wrap up my explanation
>teacher, mid 20s, looks at me and asks if I like Coldplay
>don't want to go hardcore on it and just say "it's really sleepy and uninspired"
>"You'll understand it when you're older"
>mfw
>>
>>61940328
>lyrics are inherently derived from musical properties
How do you know that? It's very possible to make the melody first and then just make up some words later to go with it.
>>
>>61940346
But Radiohead are the radio friendly Radiohead
>>
>>61940354
But the words you're choosing have to fit around the melody and thus are a musical element.
>>
>>61940393
You have this backwards. Lyrics themselves are just words and carry no musical elements in and of itself. It's the vocal melody and rhythm that give the words musical elements, but that has nothing to do with lyrics.
>>
>manual listeners
>>
>>61940346
lol
I like some of coldplays stuff but they don't compare to radiohead in any way.
I also have no clue what there is to understand about Coldplay.
>>
>>61940458
>Lyrics themselves are just words and carry no musical elements in and of itself

What is meter?

> It's the vocal melody and rhythm that give the words musical elements, but that has nothing to do with lyrics.

But lyrics are inherently tied to the rhythm due to syllable patterns, you can't just write lyrics and a melody separately and then try and shove them together.

This is pretty basic stuff senpai.
>>
i would have presented My Love, Come Live With Me by The Stylistics
>>
>>61940538
>What is meter?
In the context of words, that has to do with poetry. Meter in music has nothing to do with lyrics.

>But lyrics are inherently tied to the rhythm due to syllable patterns, you can't just write lyrics and a melody separately and then try and shove them together.
But you can. Sure, sentences and phrases will probably not match up with the musical phrases, but that's a poetic concern not a musical one.
>>
>>61940614
>In the context of words, that has to do with poetry. Meter in music has nothing to do with lyrics.

(not true by the way)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_%28hymn%29

>Sure, sentences and phrases will probably not match up with the musical phrases, but that's a poetic concern not a musical one.

>the musicality of a piece of music isn't a musical concern

ok
>>
>>61939808
This desu

I just got out of lecture given by jazzer don Byron on minstrel and I counted 6 mother fuckas and at least 15 shits
>>
>>61940687
Your link is about exactly what I was talking about. Meter in music is a whole other thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_%28music%29

Define "musicality." I don't consider messages conveyed by lyrics to be musical in nature, but rather a literary/poetic affair.
>>
File: 1311293275084.jpg (107 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1311293275084.jpg
107 KB, 375x500
>go to rock music festival in Austria
>some Austrian dude notices I am English
>"you English, what music you into?"
>it's a rock festival, so I mention prog and post-hardcore
>"AH, you must know Enter Shikari!"
>not worth arguing. "Yeah, they're... okay."
>every time he spots me for the next three days, he yells "ENTER SHIKARI!" and high fives me
>>
>>61940892
>Your link is about exactly what I was talking about.

You said that meter as in terms of poetry cannot be related to music but my link directly demonstrated otherwise, unless you're implying hymns aren't music? lmao

Also you do realise in the past the rhythm of hymns would have entirely been informed by meter of the lyrics?

You should probably admit you made a mistake by implying lyrics aren't a musical element and just let it go.

>Meter in music is a whole other thing.
I know what time signatures are but thanks anyway senpai.

>Define "musicality." I don't consider messages conveyed by lyrics to be musical in nature, but rather a literary/poetic affair.

If there was a dissonance between the rhythm of a melody and the rhythm of the lyrics that would be an issue of musicality.
>>
>what should've just been a fun pleb stories thread turns into an autistic argument over music theory

I fucking hate this board.
>>
File: 1450187902834.jpg (98 KB, 299x480) Image search: [Google]
1450187902834.jpg
98 KB, 299x480
I have a similar story. I was pretty much the pleb.
>took a chorus class senior year of high school
>final exam is a project of "our music culture"
>had to pick five of our favorite genres, with song examples of each, and explain what it means to us
>I chose noise, drone, experimental, prog, and hip-hop
>Classroom is in complete silence as I play /mu/ starter pack: gerogerigegege, Earth, Boris, Death Grips, Yes
>one kid in class in the back nods his head
>teacher tells me in class three days later than she has started to listen to noise as a legitimate genre of music
>mfw I pulled that as a fuck you to the class but got a good grade
>>
>>61937521

>Lyrics are not a musical element

your professor is fucking retarded
>>
>>61940049
>>61940085
lyrics are a musical element, if you disagree read some Joyce you dumb fucko
>>
>>61940458
>Lyrics themselves are just words a
you ever hear of timbre? eh fuckco?
>>
This thread reminds me of when I was in high school and I ran into a legit Tangofag.

>Talking about bands we like instead of doing group project
>One girl in the group tells us our bands aren't real music
>Ask her what she likes
>Tango
>"Only Tango and classical music are real music"

I'm still baffled by that, it's the only time I encountered musical snobbery and it just seems so funny that it was over tango music.
>>
>>61937521
There's all kinds of musical elements to be appreciated in Kendrick's songs, the person in your class was just retarded
>>
>>61943291
she probably danced competitively. I made the poor decision of trying that and everyone is really smug about their dance music there.
>>
>>61937521

Nothing about this story is remotely true.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.