[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christ why is electric blues lead guitar so BORING? I'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: FreddieKing.jpg (43 KB, 629x359) Image search: [Google]
FreddieKing.jpg
43 KB, 629x359
Christ why is electric blues lead guitar so BORING?

I'm sure it's because Clapton and SRV and the other blues wank dad shredders straight up murdered the electric blues but even BB King and the greats use the same phrasing and scales over and over and it's just not interesting.

Magic Sam is based af tho. Are there any other electric blues lead players that aren't a snooze?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt91x0L70BQ
>>
I totally agree with you anon. It's so talentless. Everyone will say that BB King had so much "soul" but I can do what he does almost to a tee and I am not a black southern man. SRV was better than BB but he still repeated a lot of the same licks over and over.
Listen to jazz guitar, it's so much better. Check out Wes Montgomery and Django Reinhardt.
>>
The best electric blues doesn't focus on the electric side of things imo. Howlin' Wolf stands out for that reason.
>>
every person on this board's favorite albums from the 60s and 70s involves "electric blues lead guitar" but since it's white people they consider it "rock" and will agree w/ your statement
>>
File: 4367.jpg (105 KB, 562x444) Image search: [Google]
4367.jpg
105 KB, 562x444
>>61935156
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt91x0L70BQ

dat tone
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18 KB, 400x266
>>61935156
"Often dubbed the inventor of electric blues guitar by Anglophiles as a reward for his shameless Anglophilia (documented in Palace of the King). Forget what Anglophiles tell you, the man's been slacking for years. The R&B sides he cut in the '60s for (ironically enough) King Records are acute. On this compilation, he makes do with a bunch of Leon Russell/Don Nix boogies, the vocals blurred, the guitar all fake-and-roll. C+"
>>
>>61935156
>Magic Sam is based af tho. Are there any other electric blues lead players that aren't a snooze?

Then again, his playing is a lot more Chuck Berry and less BB King.
>>
>>61936017
You mean more rock-like.
>>
>>61936084
Yes.
>>
>>61935895
I dunno; it's a fairly typical 50s-60s twangly bangly guitar tone. Hendrix was the first guy to break with the Chuck Berry school of electric guitar.
>>
>>61936017
>>61936084
>>61936106

Magic Sam is nothing like King or Berry. He's a pure Chicago style player based entirely on finger picking and tons of tremolo. This is Sam's attempt at trying to cash in and sound like Berry and the style is completely different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUU4abg0n9A
>>
>>61935652
>Listen to jazz guitar, it's so much better. Check out Wes Montgomery and Django Reinhardt.
And Les Paul of course.
>>
Well mate its no more repetitive and derivative than rock leads or modern metal leads
>>
>>61935156
>no one on this board understands soul
not surprised desu

Never see any blues, gospel, or soul threads.
>>
>>61936223
can you explain what this "soul" entails musically?
>>
>>61936190
That song has a lot more pronounced backbeat which is one of the big differences between rock and blues.
>>
Love the blues, hated most of it when it went electric, even BB King sounds forgettable to me. The only good electric blues comes from Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaqScs7vR-4
>>
Most all 70s rock bands laid down amazing blues rock solos, as the other anon said already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnVA1uO5QM8

flip this to 1:55 and enjoy
>>
>>61936244

That's back it's Willie Dixon and he invented rock n roll.
>>
>>61935156
>blah blah opinions
>whiny beat to death discussion
/end thread
>>
>>61936359

So why do you post on message boards or engage in any kind of discussion with other humans at all when you're at this higher stage of evolution?
>>
>>61936194
Les Paul was a pop guitarist. Not really worth mentioning in the jazz realm.
>>
Check out Pops Staples, Steve Cropper, and Albert King - Jammed Together
It's a surprisingly innovative album
>>
>>61936233
Soul is music that appeals more to emotion than technicality. It's pretty much the polar opposite of the super technical jazz that is sometimes more akin to mathematics than music.

I don't really know how to explain it to you. I guess you either get it, or you don't.
>>
>>61936754
let's put it this way:
two people are playing the same guitar line on the same guitar, but one of them is deemed more soulful than the other.
What musical difference explains this?
>>
>>61936795
If they were playing the same lines the same way, there wouldn't be any difference. A more soulful spin on the same line would probably indicate some difference in how the line was played, with more touch, longer bends, and most definitely a difference in tone. I think tone goes a long way when it comes to soulful guitar playing.

Go listen to some Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.
>>
Ummmm...would John Lee Hooker count? I like his electric guitar interpretation on Delta blues. Fun fact it probably played a big influence on Beefheart's band's attempt at doing electric guitar Delta Blues, too.
>>
>>61935652
>blues
>talentless

Lol. No. While I don't generally like blues, I play a lot of it with a lot of great guitarists in the area. It definitely takes talent to play and play it well. it's obvious when you don't have it.

I hope you realize the important of the music and the impact it had on your love for jazz guitar because if you don't I feel sorry for you. You'll need to acquaint yourself with the history of the music from its pre-slave trade roots to know why people love it so much and why people talk about soul.
>>
File: 1a.jpg (51 KB, 487x479) Image search: [Google]
1a.jpg
51 KB, 487x479
>>61935156
>hasn't heard Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers yet
dude, enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r4MNSHBFjE
>>
>>61936795
every musician (should) have their own voice. the way one plays a phrase compared to the other is entirely based on interpretation and experiences in life and in music. Touch is very much a apart of that.
>>
Do people here actually listen to B.B. King? I'm sure he's great but his style and those big band recordings haven't aged well like the Chess guys or the delta or OG folk-blues guys.
>>
>>61936282
>when it went electric
how old are you exactly?
>>
File: 2356.jpg (95 KB, 936x781) Image search: [Google]
2356.jpg
95 KB, 936x781
>>61936282
>>
>>61937815
Not that old, I just started listening chronologically like you should with any genre.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.