[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning guitar So im not taking lessons or anything. Ive been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: me.jpg (149 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
149 KB, 1024x1024
Learning guitar

So im not taking lessons or anything. Ive been a drummer for a while so ive been around guitars for some time. recently i bought an electric guitar an amp. I just don tkno what i need to learn. Ive been learning chords but thats it. I tried learning scales but i dont know how to apply them. I just really don know what im doing. Any advice is appreciated
>>
just buy a reverb pedal crank it to full and say you play shoegaze
>>
>>61930985
sounds like a plan
>>
heres a good site

http://www.fretjam.com/guitar-learning-process.html
>>
>>61930961
You use scales to solo over chord progressions, all scales come from the one main scale which is Major one. Learn what makes up a scale what chords it consist what mood it invokes, learning guitar isn't really difficult, but mastering it can take quite a while and grasping theory can be quite confusing. To build technical skill you just do the same shit over and over that's about it really
>>
>>61930961
If you want to play grunge/post rock/noise rock/punk/post punk

You really only need to learn common chords, power chords, youll mainly have to focus on the rhythms you play with these basic elements. There really isnt much to an album like Spiderland for example, but the way they use such basic methods is insane. You can find tabs for somgs on "songsterr". Some albums for inspiration:

Nirvana - Bleach
Slint - Spiderland
Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Melvins - Houdini
Godspeed you! Black Emperor - F#A# infinity
Sun Kil Moon - Benji
Wavves - Wavves
Acdc - powerage
Fugazi - Repeater
>>
>>61930961
justinguitar.com

do the beginner course
>>
Practice scales and chord changes with a metronome. Set that bastard around 40bpm. When you want to play at 80bpm, keep it on 40. This ensures you don't learn to use the metronome as a crutch.

Don't learn everything with shapes, it'll fuck you up later on. Learn the formulae for chords and scales. You'll be able to play any voicing of a chord, not just one voicing that might not be suitable for what you're trying to do. Learning theory will also let you write more intricate arrangements, to write for a string section, or to instantly know how to get that sound that's in your head.

>>61931048
You don't have good technique, so you can't teach yourself good technique. Don't practice bad habits, go blow a conservatory grad and get them to make sure you're not teaching yourself some whack shit. Good technique gives you good control over the instrument, the inverse is true. You won't miraculously develop good technique by fumbling around.

>>61931063
What the fuck type of advice is this, even? "Hey bro, you should just be hell lazy and limit your creativity." If you only know power chords, 4 barre chord shapes, and you can't play a single scale... well, that means you have a handful of things with which to express yourself.

Don't be a shit guitarist, man, you'll hate yourself for it. And so will everybody else.
>>
>>61931523
thanks man! good info
>>
>>61930961
Look up for rocksmith 2014

It's a great way to learn guitar, you can download custom songs too (they're free).
>>
>>61931523
A person with intelligence of half-dead monkey can go on youtube and search for technique or try to imitate good technically proficient players. or just go to /gg/ and read Guthries book.

>Now go and blow conservatory grad
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.