[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Madonna the female Bowie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10
Is Madonna the female Bowie?
>>
no because she is actually talented
>>
no because bowie is the female bowie
>>
>>61925575
>>
both chameleons who latch onto already existing art movements because they have a need to be relevant

bowie wins because he's actually intelligent and well read in things like mysticism and European avant garde literature. Madonna is standard shallow pop star #1002.
>>
>>61925575
underrated
>>
>>61925575
oh shit
>>
>>61925601
What 1000 and 1 shallow pop stars came before madonna?
>>
>>61925569
kill yourself desu.

>>61925551
No bowie a million times as talented and he was able make better music for longer. Madonna's latest album was a sad grasp at trying to be modern. Bowie's latest album is incredible.
>>
>>61925601
not really bowie set the trends
madonna hopped them

>>61925569
le bait
>>
>>61925575
/thread
>>
>>61925575
damn...
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 251x242
>>61925636
>bowie set the trends
>>
>>61925696
In the 70s he did, musically
As a style icon he's still, and probably will always stay, relevant
>>
>>61925636
Bowie hopped on trends too, he just did it before other famous people did. He didn't have a lot of musical originality desu, but he was really good at finding interesting musicians and creating something worthwhile inspired by them.
>>
File: furry reflects on existence.jpg (61 KB, 662x464) Image search: [Google]
furry reflects on existence.jpg
61 KB, 662x464
>>61925636
>bowie set the trends
>>
>>61925636
>bowie set the trends
lmao

only in the early 70s
>>
>>61925749
>>61925772
>>61925746

Like I said >>61925737 In the 70s

He lost mainstream relevance in the 80s and faded into obscurity in the 90s

Blackstar has once again made him relevant
>>
>>61925845
Blackstar isn't any more popular with the mainstream than his things in the 80s, 90s, or 00s. Probably less honestly. It just has the most critical acclaim since the early 80s.
>>
>>61925845
he didn't set the trends in the '70s, anon. just because everyone sucks his dick retroactively 'cause they like his music doesn't mean he set a single trend.

>David Bowie
self-explanatory - plenty of rock singer/songwriter crooner types making forgettable one-offs
>Space Oddity-Diamond Dogs
whatever you think of the quality of these albums, Bowie's visual style was the only really original thing he produced in this era. he was copping the glam stylings and sounds of other acts like New York Dolls, T. Rex, and Lou Reed's live performances. he was arguably setting a trend here in that he was part of the first wave of popular glam acts, so i can concede this bit partially, but he hardly single-handedly set this trend.
>Young Americans
i really hope you don't think a Brit invented funk music
>Station to Station and Berlin trilogy
literally had the person making that sound produce his album for him (Eno) as well as copying earlier and better krautrock bands. again, nothing original.
>>
File: tumblr_mw7t2eQaIj1rwez1ho1_1280.jpg (102 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mw7t2eQaIj1rwez1ho1_1280.jpg
102 KB, 612x612
Bjork is the female David Bowie
>>
>>61925951
It is pretty popular desu
Good sales, views, stream counts

In the wake of his death his albums were sold a lot. The fact that he made a concept album about his own death impressed many normies

Not to mention blackstar is indeed his most critically acclaimed work since lodger
>>
>>61925575
hell yes
>>
>>61925997
probably the better comparison desu
>>
>>61925551
Madonna used to fuck so many men.
>>
>>61925981
Hmm good points

But to say that Eno alone is responsible for his 'unique' sound during the berlin period is giving bowie less credit than he deserves. The krautrock influences are there yes but blatantly copying is too far

Station to station is somewhat a pastiche of many different styles blended into one truly unique sound. Imo his best and most innovating work

Also he launched the careers of and co-wrote/produced both lou reeds transfomer and pops the idiot ( their best works, both infulential, the latter would inspire many post-punk artists)
>>
>>61926046
>Good sales, views, stream counts
These are all pretty much because the media is talking about him. I highly doubt that even normie rock listeners would be able to name one song off the album and will likely forget about it by the end of the year.
>>
>>61926228
>launched the careers of Lou Reed and Iggy Pop, two people who had their own successful punk bands before David Bowie even released an album
what the fucking fuck are you talking about

and name one specific contribution Bowie made besides coked out weirdo vocals on Warszawa to the disarming textures of the Berlin trilogy. and detail the pastiche you claim on Station to Station. clearly you're identifying a host of influences, so name them. also, spoiler: pastiche != innovation

i don't care if people like Bowie; i'm just sick of people confusing him for an innovative and singular artist. he was a great interpreter of more daring genres for pop audiences in the '70s and a decent pop artists thereafter. he touched a lot of lives which has its own value. but to claim that the history of 20th century music would be dramatically different without him is a massive overstatement reliant more on sales figures and popularity than on musicology.
>>
>>61926230
Don't know man, blackstar and lazarus are well-known and popular with normies

But I agree the more experimental ( and imo more interesting) tracks will be forgotten by the average rock listener
>>
>>61926280
their solo careers boyo

Bowie produced both their albums ( check for yourself if you don't believe me) and had a big artistic influence on both during the berlin period, which they admitted
>>
just post Madonna stop discussing music you bastards
>>
>>61926280
and he literally worte all the music for the idiot, even some lyrics

on trasnformer he contributed more than vocals and production, he rewrote satelite of love together with reed for example
>>
>>61926392
>>61926436
yes, he worked with his friends on their early solo material. to claim he "launched" the career of either or was fundamental in their later success, especially in the case of Reed, whom he religiously copied in his earliest days and throughout his career, is extreme revisionism and ignorance of how big those two were in the underground going into their collaborations with him. it's like calling Brian Eno responsible for the success of U2.
>>
>>61926669
He didn't directly copy vu, vu was just so monumental in rock music that they (in)directly influenced everyone that came after
But it's true that bowie adored reeds work with the velvet underground

And I didn't mean launched in the commercial sense, I meant he gave them both new artistical direction, a foundation they build their careers upon
And when he literally wrote all the music on the idiot ( which hah a huge influence on post-punk) it's safe to say that he did more than 'work with his friends'

Tbqh I also don't like how they're blowing everything out of proportion after his death, but credit were credit is due
>>
No, Bowie doesn't have an album as acclaimed as Ray of Light or Like a Prayer
>>
>>61925981
Bowie didn't sound like most of the glam artists. Yeah, he sounded like T.Rex and the others sometimes, but he sounded the way T.Rex would had sounded like if they came from mars.
>>
>>61927156
I'm so redundant it hurts.
>>
File: like a virgin.png (158 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
like a virgin.png
158 KB, 400x300
>>61925636
>not really bowie set the trends
>madonna hopped them

What female whorish mega popstar was there before Madonna again? Because that seems to be a pretty big trend.
>>
File: lusty negro attitudes.png (47 KB, 209x204) Image search: [Google]
lusty negro attitudes.png
47 KB, 209x204
>Hard Candy (2008), yet another terrible album, used an impressive cast of producers (Nate "Danja" Hills, Timbaland, Justin Timberlake, Pharrell Williams) to craft predictable and trivial dance numbers such as Four Minutes. About to turn 50, Madonna is turning into one ugly dumb middle-age woman who is still desperate for sex, perhaps because her private life was such a failure.
S A V A G E
>>
File: dogs.png (298 KB, 465x351) Image search: [Google]
dogs.png
298 KB, 465x351
>>61925575
>>
File: ma.jpg (257 KB, 683x960) Image search: [Google]
ma.jpg
257 KB, 683x960
took a while for all the PS to settle in, but she looks really hot again
>>
Kate Bush is the female Bowie, AND she's better than Bowie
>>
She invented the modern pop star and was politically ahead of her time, distributing AIDS pamphlets alongside "Like A Prayer" and watching her career implode for daring to criticize the Iraq War.

But her music fucking sucks. Pic related was one of the worst albums of 2015.
>>
File: cute outfit.jpg (54 KB, 493x616) Image search: [Google]
cute outfit.jpg
54 KB, 493x616
>>61925997
I'll agree with that
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.