[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best sufjan album and why is it Illinois?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: a1535970238_10.jpg (426 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
a1535970238_10.jpg
426 KB, 900x900
What is the best sufjan album and why is it Illinois?
>>
>>61921803
Nobody cares about John wayne

worst song on the album
>>
Is Sufjan ever doing arrangements like in Chicago or title track again? Because I love them.
>>
File: IMG_5439.jpg (60 KB, 800x530) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5439.jpg
60 KB, 800x530
Age of Adz tho
>>
Illinoise for sure is the best Sufjan album. Age of Adz is fantastic, yes, (Now That I'm Older is one of my favorite songs of all time) but Illinoise has a special magic about it.
>>
>>61922004
>>61921803
I think what makes Illinoise so special is how thoroughly and cleverly executes what it sets out to. Everything sounds so perfectly chosen and arranged, which I think results in that "magic" feeling.

>>61922004
Also, thank you for also loving Now That I'm Older, all I ever see/hear about it is hate, but I loved it on first listen.
>>
>>61921970
Muh nigga
>>
That's not Carrie and Lowell
>>
>>61921970

Impossible Soul + a ton of filler
>>
>>61922004
>>61922131
my niqqas
>>
>>61922171
good filler tho
>>
If you say illinois is his best you are objectively a boring person
>>
>>61922257
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>61921920
yeah but that's wrong
>>
>>61922257
Literally how? It's his most extravagant and ambitious album.
>>
>>61922302
>>61922591
To me it feels pretty emotionally lacking. I know it's a beautiful album and its his most critically acclaimed but I prefer his later albums (or even seven swans) where he has more of a stake in what he's singing about

Also I think adz is far more extravagant than illinoise
>>
>>61922880
adz feels Grander to me for sure
>>
>>61921803
As a big sufjan fan I'm gonna say

The BQE < Carrie & Lowell = Seven Swans < All Delighted People < Michigan < Illinois < Age of Adz

Illinois is grandiose and a 'paper perfect' album but Adz is even grander while being a lot more emotional and intense. C&L + Seven Swans were lower because the stories in those weren't as memorable and while there is a huge emotional impact from the lyrics they were too soft to make a lasting impression. Michigan outclasses them in this regard.
All Delighted People was a fun in between time for Sufjan post Illinois and pre-Adz.
>>
>>61923634
i disagree with your criticism of C&L, i found that the stories on that album were more impactful than any other sufjan album prior to it...that said, it doesn't achieve the heights of his earlier career just due to the limited palette compared to Adz, the state albums, or even Enjoy Your Rabbit

that said, i'd rank his albums

Adz > Michigan > Carrie & Lowell = Illinois > All Delighted People > Seven Swans > Enjoy Your Rabbit > BQE > A sun came

Seven Swans and up are 8/10 albums at least to me
>>
>>61921803
illinoise is good, but I like seven swans better
>>
>Tfw even sufjan's worst album, a sun came, still has one of sufjans best songs ever

Guess which one it is :)
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.