[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how long until I'm autistic enough to enjoy this /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (159 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
159 KB, 300x300
how long until I'm autistic enough to enjoy this /mu/?
>>
I've been here about 3 years, I still think it's dogshit.

I think you have to be born with it.
>>
Never, autism isn't a condition that increases over time.
>>
>>61920265
ignoring your silly choice of vocabulary, for the longest time I thought I would never like it... A year of listening to increasingly different and experimental music later, I love it now. Try getting into jazz, especially of the free variety. Jazz will probably help you more than anything to understand this
>>
>never heard a jazz or blues album before but im gonna listen to this cuz it's rawk and ppl post it on /mu/ lol :P
>SO WEIRD XD time to make a thread
>>
>>61920597
any recs you can give me?
>>
>>61920601
nice post, my friend
>>
>>61921234
not that guy

but the essentials are

brotzmann octet machine gun
ayler spiritual unity
ornette coleman shape of jazz to come
>>
>>61921234
start out with the simple classics like Kind of Blue

move onto slightly more chaotic stuff like the Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, and The Shape of Jazz to Come. Maybe some of Sun Ra's stuff...

then eventually try free jazz. My favourite by far is Coltrane's Ascension... shit is phenomenal

anyway this is a very basic intro and you're gonna have to put some work in yourself if you want to get into it, but I hope I could be of some help
>>
Stop looking at it as some holy grail masterpiece, drop all expectations, and just try to enjoy it.
>>
Glad this was shared; my first exposure
Cool dynamics; production
reminds me of the books-the lemon of pink with wider range

Too wired to listen properly now
Will bookmark for summer stargazing, altered consciousness
>>
It's just a brilliant, fun record. Stop trying to take it seriously. Only autists can't handle it. It's literally a guy humming ideas to a guitarist to transcribe and half written on a piano--an instrument the composer had no clue how to play
>>
>>61921431
Are there any charts for this? Maybe I should start a thread.
>>
>>61922197
why do you need a chart holy fuck just go listen to jazz man jesus
>>
>>61922346
I like pretty pictures
>>
>>61920296
Unless you get vaccinated.
>>
>>61922437
junk science
>>
>>61921234
The absolute best is Ascension by John Coltrane, an absolute GOAT in my opinion, but as with all free jazz you should skip to about 15 minutes in at first
>>
John Lee Hooker - The Ultimate Collection (Delta Blues)
John Coltrane - Ascension (free jazz)
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs (folk)

Listen to these three, then listen to TMR.
>>
>>61922664
>Tom Waits
>an album after TMR

>JLH
>not Howlin Wolf

oof
>>
>>61922689
Howlin Wolf is from the Delta area, but his music is closer to Chicago Blues. JLH performed in Chicago and Detroit and stuff, but still for the most of it maintained a Delta blues feel to his stuff.

Rain Dogs came out after TMR, but at the same time I couldn't think of an artist better than Tom Waits to show vocal similarities to Beefheart due to how much Beefheart influenced Tom.
>>
>>61922753
>vocal similarities
Howlin' Wolf
>>
>>61922771
Waits is more apt and similar to Beefy than Wolf.
>>
>>61920265
i listened today for the first time in a while
such a masterpiece
The more you listen to it the better it gets.
I'd recommend listening to some other chaotic experimental stuff that maybe isn't so abrasive
Give it time and relisten. Amazing album
>>
>>61921234
black saint and the sinner lady
not to be a scaruffi soldier but this things the shit too

also you should check out safe as milk because you get a tamer version of beefheart but still get a taste of him

also check out deceit by this heat
>>
>>61924155
The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is my favorite Jazz album ever (well i don't know a lot of Jazz, only the classics but still), and i still don't get TMR at all.
It just sounds awful to me, sorry
>>
>>61924187
Well, one thing that makes TBSATSL so ambitious and also part of the reason it's still tied for my favorite jazz record along with On The Corner after having listened to more jazz:

it has a lot of things going on at once. Like shit at its craziest it has like 7-8 different things happening at once. But at the same time it's not pretentious sounding it all just works together very well hell you can even dance to it. Are you able to discern all the various things that happen in this album? If so, apply the same to TMR. Like Mingus' masterpiece all the instruments and vocals are doing completely different things, but at the same time are actually still cohesive, so like TBSATSL you gotta pay attention to what each part is doing then put it all together.

I hope that made sense.
>>
>>61924187
TMR was made after Beefheart heard two separate cassette tape recordings spliced together

it's made disjointed on purpose. You need to focus in on certain instruments and tracks in each song. The drums on Moonlight On Vermont are grand for this
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.