[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get why people like this album so much. I guess
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: StationToStation.jpg (69 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
StationToStation.jpg
69 KB, 300x300
I don't get why people like this album so much. I guess the first three songs were pretty good but nothing really stands out to me.
>>
>>61918765
IT'S NOT THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE COCAINE
>>
RUN FOR THE SHADOWS
>>
TRANSITION
TRANSMISSION
>>
I felt the same way but I listened to it a few more times and now Im listening to it at least once a day
>>
>don't get why people like this album so much
Cause he's dead
>>
Really the only standout tracks are TVC15 and Golden Years. The rest are either poorly replicated prog rock or funk rock songs.
>>
File: 000000.png (161 KB, 308x301) Image search: [Google]
000000.png
161 KB, 308x301
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJdA7dwx6-4
>>
>>61918846
>poorly replicated prof rock or funk rock
lolwut. You chose the most obvious replicated funk song for a start. And The title track is GOAT
>>
>>61918831
Yeah a lot of his albums are like that for me, I'm just afraid to move on to Low if I don't like this one.
>>
>>61918838
People on /mu/ have always been obsessed with this album even before he died
>>
>>61918912
Low is pretty different, try it.
>>
File: bowie-meme.jpg (61 KB, 565x554) Image search: [Google]
bowie-meme.jpg
61 KB, 565x554
>>61918858
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOM6eQLW5M
>>
>>61918874
Yes, but Golden Years is way more soothing than something like Stay, which is more like your average funk song.
>>
>>61918920
Doesn't matter, he's a meme now, so his music is automatically memecore, and unable to be taken seriously any more.
>>
>>61919070
>musician died so their music is shit now
>>
Nothing ever stands out on the first album listen, generally speaking.
>>
>>61919088
No, musician died and got turned into a meme because of it = his music is a meme now = if you claim to like his music you're liking memes
You also don't have to die to become a meme either, look at Swans, after being around for over 30 years they get turned into a giant meme almost overnight just because of their last album
>>
>>61919197
but you said that being a meme makes it impossible to take the music seriously now
>>
>>61919070
>>61919197
fucking sad seeing people like this

>>61918765
because its a pretty solid album, at first i thought like you but it started growing in me a lot... that happen with a lot of bowie's albums
>>
Because it has his most concise songwriting, his best singing and hos best backing band.
>>
>>61918858
It's good to see the picture I helped make is circulating.

>>61919197
>>61919070
Probably bait, but just because /mu/ is listening to Bowie a lot right now doesn't make him a meme. Memeschool is a meme, but Bowie is not a meme, and music is never a meme.
>>
The album follows a pattern of 2 good songs, 1 bad. Word on a Wing and Wild is the Wind are garbo, rest range from "pretty good" to "amazing"
>>
File: smile.gif (994 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
smile.gif
994 KB, 500x370
>>61919745
You must be having a fucking laugh
>>
>>61919745
How to spot a pleb: the post
>>
File: Bowie-lodger.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Bowie-lodger.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
Station to Station is top 5, but pic related is basically a better version of it.
>>
>>61919931
I wish this album was a bit more experimental desu. Most of the songs on this album are great regardless of how poppy they are, but you can't put a song like African Night Flight on the album and then not have any song remotely similar to it
>>
>>61919961
Look Back in Anger is kinda of similar with its manic percussion, and Lodger is pretty decently experimental when you think about it. Yassassin is a fucking Turkish reggae song. The second half is more straightforward than the first, but I like that.

At least I'd say it's more experimental, though also probably more poppy, than StS.
>>
File: daddy.jpg (28 KB, 176x190) Image search: [Google]
daddy.jpg
28 KB, 176x190
>>61919745
>garbo
>>
>>61919961
I fuckin love African Night Flight
It's like proto no-wave/Swans
>>
>tfw when station to station and blackstar are my personal GOATs
>>
>>61918940
Ok I'm listening to it now.
>>
>>61920092
Cool, let us know what you reckon.
>>
>>61918765
Excellent album. Maybe reading the wikipedia page for the album would shed some light on his personal struggles at the time.

In terms of addiction: I love how the first song is him exercising his demons and moving forward, and the last his him relenting to his problem. The "happy ending" is the beginning; it's cyclical just like addiction.
>>
10/10 album
was /mu/core before he croaked
>>
>>61919931
? it isn't similar to station to station at all.

Lodger has some fun tracks, but it's pretty scatter brained. There's no through line, and claiming "travel" as a theme is sort of lazy. Don't understand how this is in anyone's bowie top 5 desu.

That being said, African Night Flight is awesome and WAY ahead of it's time. DJ, Boys Keep Swinging and Look Back are solid jams.
>>
>>61920030
What? It literally isn't lol. It's way too high-energy and fast paced. More like proto experimental hip-hop than anything.
>>
Once there were mountains on mountains
and once there were sun birds to soar with
and once I could never be down
>>
>>61920213
its my favorite of his
>>
>>61920241
Lodger has two themes, The first half is travel and the second half is corruption in Western society.

Anyone who doesn't mention Repetition as one of the better tracks hasn't listened to the lyrics.

Also how the fuck does no one ever mention YASSSASSSINNNN? Or Red Money for that matter?
>>
>>61920393

Repetition has poignant and disturbing lyrics, but it's a non rhyming spoken word piece set to a rock track. It's not very dynamic.

Yasasins is obnoxious after a few measures. Red Money is sister midnight but worse.
>>
>>61918765
ITS TOO LATE
>>
>>61920960

.Repetition has poignant and disturbing lyrics, but it's a non rhyming spoken word piece set to a rock track. It's not very dynamic.
Gee, so it's repetitive? Weird.

>Yassassin is fun. Red Money is sister midnight but better.

ftfy
>>
I fell in love with it in the first listen.

I just recently learned that Elvis loved Golden Years so much he wanted Bowie to be his producer. Somewhere in an alternate reality, Bowie made Elvis a Krautrock/Funk album.
>>
>>61918765
Just because the second half isn't as good as the first half doesn't make it bad. The title track is one of his best songs that aren't a single.
>>
>>61920113
I just finished it and I thought it was alright at first but then it got boring in the last couple songs. It'll take me like 5 more listens though to actually know.
>>
>>61921046
>Gee, so it's repetitive? Weird.

No it isn't. In fact the lack of any semblance of verse structure makes it particularly non repetitive. Weird.
>>
>>61921162
I think you just don't like Bowie, anon. If Low doesn't grab you, nothing will.
>>
>>61921060
I read that bowie intended golden years as an elvis song but he didnt like it.
>>
>>61921249
If it has no structure, then it's dynamic in some way.
If it's not dynamic, it's repetitive.

Make up your mind. If you don't know what you're talking about, all you have to say is you don't like it and move on.
>>
>>61918858

https://soundcloud.com/bumarse/memeswav
>>
THE RETURN OF THE THIN WHITE DUKE
>>
File: 1401613031449.jpg (95 KB, 337x367) Image search: [Google]
1401613031449.jpg
95 KB, 337x367
>he doesn't like TVC 15
>>
>>61921271

I specifically said verse structure. I consider verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus to be more dynamic than a single prolonged verse.

if I don't know what I'm talking about, you can't read critically.
>>
>>61921421
So you meant song structure. Verse structure means the structure of the verse itself.

Better yet, you could've just said the song is in simple verse, which literally means it's nothing but a verse, in which case it's repetitive.

I can read, you just don't know how to convey what you mean.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.