[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /mu/, which is it? Is music art or entertainment? Sure,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: younger.jpg (110 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
younger.jpg
110 KB, 400x400
So /mu/, which is it?

Is music art or entertainment?

Sure, it's a bit of both, but get off the fence, how do you view it?
>>
Is art not entertaining?
>>
>>61913170
I've seen a lot of bored people in art museums
>>
>>61913120
Define "art."

Define "entertainment."

Explain why they can't be correlated.
>>
It's art.

All entertainment is art, not all art is entertainment. Music is both.
>>
>>61913183
Of course they are correlated, but that doesn't mean music isn't more one than the other

and your definitions are your own, I'm not looking for definitive answers so I can check some box and move on, I'm just curious what people here think
>>
>>61913225
Well, music is obviously produced more as entertainment, so I guess that.
>>
>>61913180
I've seen bored people in parties too, I don't see your point.
>>
Art music is art
Popular music is entertainment
>>
>>61913188
I doubt there's a single piece of art you'll find all of humanity will say isn't entertaining in some way.
>>
It seems like in art the essence of its purpose is on the creation, while with entertainment the focus is on the work's presentation to others. I'm sure there is music that is pure art or pure entertainment, but usually it's a combination of the two.
>>
>>61913312
Simply that the fact that art can be entertaining does not mean the two are the same.

Art does not always entertain (though it can) and entertainment is not always art.
>>
It's art.

People derive entertainment from it, but in an empty vacuum it would still be art.
>>
>>61913371
Then I would argue you are an outlier, most people find at least some "art" to be anything but entertaining (play Merzbow for grandma and let me know how entertained she is) and most people are not so perverse to find entertainment out of displeasure.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying I don't think most people would agree.
>>
File: kurtandcourtneycover.jpg (193 KB, 450x611) Image search: [Google]
kurtandcourtneycover.jpg
193 KB, 450x611
>>61913120
As a modifier to this question:

Do you approach music as art or as entertainment. When you play a song/album/whatever is your main intent to entertain yourself and those around you, or is it to appreciate/judge it on artistic merit.

Does setting matter? Does the audience?
>>
I listen to a lot of prog rock concept albums, and I'd say they're art. Top 40 pop music is mostly just entertainment with no emotion or depth though.
>>
>>61913520
When I get home from work, after I've eaten I put on music while I browse the internet/read. The majority of the time I end up so into the music I forget what I'm doing and my eyes end up wandering around the room. I guess I see it as both.
>>
If you listen to music for beats, fast riffs, bass drops, "textures," etc., it's entertaiment.

If you listen to music for some deeper purpose, it's art.
>>
Entertainment
>>
What's the difference between art and entertainment?
>>
>>61913842
>Implying listening to music for the textures isn't the most patrician way

Get a load of this pleb.
>>
>>61913388
nope. the whole purpose of art is communication. also art=entertainment
>>
>>61913318
there's no such thing as 'art music' you fuckig autist
all music is art music
>>
>>61913436
There's very few pieces of art that the majority of humans find interesting either. I'm just saying you'd be hard pressed to find anything that absolutely nobody finds entertaining.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.