[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The road to true patrician music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: me as a loli.jpg (110 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
me as a loli.jpg
110 KB, 720x960
What got you to make the switch from the top 40 shit to true patrician tunes? Were you never a fan of music on the radio?

I'm gonna tell a story, so grab a seat and listen to this while you read
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EC49zlGUPE
My mom always listened to songs from the 60's-80's, although it was only the songs they'd play on the radio, so even as a young kid I knew who the likes of Bowie, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, etc. I only really listened to the greatest hits of most of those artists, except for The Beatles. I LOVED them as a kid. I had posters of them, I had purchased all of their albums on CD, there was this one guy at a flea market once selling the Beatles' discography on vinyl and I almost got it despite not having a working record player. I had listened to 98% of all Beatles songs by middle school, only excluding the super rare ones that were B-sides on singles albums. Eventually I kind of grew out of the Beatles, though I still think their music is great. I appreciate them as one of the few bands normies and patricians can both enjoy on some level.

Early middle school, I got big into Beck. Guero was the first album I heard, and I just branched out from there. Still not big on some of his early folk albums, I think he's much better in Pop Rock or whatever genre he is. I liked how he was able to change his style almost completely with each album, with his distinct voice being the glue that kept all his music sounding like his own. Midnite Vultures is my favorite album from him.
>>
>>61912950
(cont)

During middle school, I had an English teacher who listened to Gorillaz. She would play songs like Dirty Harry, Rhinestone Eyes, etc. She got me into Gorillaz big time, starting me out with Demon Days (obviously) and recommending I go backwards before I go into Plastic Beach. I always thought it was funny how my teacher would keep playing the songs every morning in class, even though I was the only one who liked it. A lot of people hated her for her nasally, high-pitched voice. D-Sides is currently my favorite Gorillaz album.

Sometime during or after this, I slowly started craving more and more abrasive or weird music. I found that I really liked glitchy music. 1000BPM by Beck was the song that started this I think, but some earlier gorillaz songs helped too. Because of this need for glitchy and abrasive songs, I had a dubstep phase. Thank god that's over. I don't hate the genre, but I do hate the uninspired hacks who would make dubstep without trying to put their own spin on it. It all sounded the same. K I N D A L I K E S H O E G A Z E. Jesus Christ most dubstep artists repeat the first two minutes of their song, sometimes even twice. I think that I got out of dubstep when the drops starting being just the build up to the drop with boosted drums and a shitty synth layed over.

I also got into rap but who cares amiright
>>
>>61912956
(cont)

These days, I'm into artists like Polysics, Melt-Banana, (kind of a weeb) Death Grips, ATOLS, LCD Soundsystem. I didn't type this out to brag or anything, just to tell my story of how I stopped listening to the top 40.
I still listen to Beck and Gorillaz pretty often. Me and my best friend love Gorillaz, although his taste is admittedly more normie-tier.
I don't even think my taste is all that top-tier, but hey. At least it's better than average, I like to think. I'm not even at the end of my journey, musically. Maybe someone can use the artists I mentioned to get a friend into more experimental music. I don't know. What I do know is that I'm done pretyping and I'm ready to get fucking eaten alive by /mu/.
>>
what on earth is the point of this thread
what could you possibly be hoping to achieve by telling us all of this
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 317x699) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 317x699
>>
>>61912950
>>61912956
>>61912975
>I didn't type this out to brag or anything
I can't even...holy shit
please be b8, this is pretty good bait if it is...
>>
File: 1448937712852a.png (120 KB, 487x328) Image search: [Google]
1448937712852a.png
120 KB, 487x328
>>61912975
>>61912956
>>61912950
No one cares.
>>
Nice blog

I was going to say that there were probably some top 40s I liked, since I still like some plebcore, but I just checled and found Justin Beiber at 1, 3 and 10.

Nope, top 40s is shit. I expected some Awolnation, Hozier, Imagine Dragons or at the very least Katy Perry, Lady Gaga or Lorde.
>>
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 720x720
>>
>>61913055
>checled
I hate tiny on-screen mobile keyboards
>>
>>61912950
>What got you to make the switch from the top 40 shit to true patrician tunes?
Actually during my entire life, I never cared even about music, even mainstream music
only liked guns and roses at the year 2000 and got bored of this band at 2001
and liked some mainsrteam band from my country at the year 1994 and got bored of it at 1995

I got into music at the year 2004 or 2005 by luck.

I was doing something tv tropes call wiki walking, (jumping from wikipedia articles to others), and found some article called doom metal.

I jumped to other articles about black metal and etc..
I got curious aabout it by the fact they said some black metal guys burned church and killed people, the fact doom metal songs were very long and slow, the fact there was a genre with name industrial metal, the fact that folk metal used 'battle music' with their sounds.

after some amout of time looking at those articles I said to myself "i will try to find one artist I like from each genre with metal on name"

I downloaded 2 songs from an artist and if I liked I downloaded 2 more and then if I liked I downloaded 2 more.
I didnt liked the few artists I tried from a genre I dont remember and decided to try industrial metal, I tried rammstein (was not mainstream on my country) and liked the songs and downloaded more and then more......
then I decided to quit this quest (find one artist I like from every genre with metal listed on wikipedia) but continued to search about music.
PS: got bored of rammstein 1 year after discovering it, almost at the same time I found the ishkur site and saw his industrial section
>>
I've never liked top 40. I've been playing music my entire life so I've always had an open ear to the more complex side of music. The closest thing to top 40 I liked was like pantera when I was 12 years young.
>>
>>61913015
I'm curious about everyone else's stories, maybe?
I mean if you read the first two sentences, the intent of this thread is pretty clear. I felt like it was kind of unfair to ask everyone else to tell me how they got into their musical tastes without telling my own story. I dunno. I was bored and I like hearing stories.
>>
>>61913282
>before 14, didnt give a shit about music, fob immigrant
>14-15 eminem
>15-16 pac, biggie, hears illmatic, starts listening to albums instead of songs, listens to about 150 hip hop albums in this time
>17, hears Funeral by Arcade fire, finally branch out from hip hop, indie rock, indie folk, pop
>18 metal, electronic, punk and everything in between
>currently 19, approaching 1k, still havent gotten into noise, ambient, jazz or classical, planning on doing it soon
>>
>>61912950
the only patrician music is silence.
>>
I never liked the top 40 stuff to begin with, I just listened to the radio because they occasionally played a few tunes I liked. I've listened to rock stuff since I was 11 and a friend introduced me to prog when I was 13, been exploring different genres ever since.
>>
>>61913426
>the only patrician music is silence.
So, that JLIAT song?
>>
>>61913426
So John Cage's 4'33"?
>>
File: 51-dUcyNoOL.jpg (46 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51-dUcyNoOL.jpg
46 KB, 500x500
top 40 is good stuff stop hating
toxic is goat
>>
>>61912975
>Polysics, Melt-Banana, (kind of a weeb) Death Grips, ATOLS, LCD Soundsystem

you're still listening to mainstream bands anon
>>
>>61913673
Mainstream for /mu/ is a whole lot different than mainstream
>>
>>61912950
Is this it by th strokes when I was about 14. Even though it is mainstream, it was from that album that I slowly started branching out into a lot of genres and got me into music. I still ducking love it today. Did is this it have an effect on anyone else here as teens?
>>
>>61913841
lcd has 700K likes on their fb page
dg has 250k
how is that not mainstream?
>>
>>61913892
Do you understand how many people live in the countries they're in

Don't be retarded now, actually look it up and get back to me.

After you've done that, also consider that not everyone who likes their music is in the same country.
Consider too that some of those accounts could be either fake or multiple accounts of the same person. I have a friend who changes her account every year or so.
When was the last time you heard Death Grips or LCD Soundsystem on the radio?

Go up to any of your friends and ask them if they like either.
Guaranteed unless they browse music forums like /mu/ they won't know who you're talking about.

I hope you're trolling, because I really hope I didn't NEED to tell you that Death Grips isn't mainstream.
>>
>>61914357
you're delusional. majority of people on my campus knows about death grips. "you mean the band with the dick on the cover"

leave your house and go to a party for once.
>>
>>61914465
>implying you've conducted a survey with everyone on your campus about their knowledge of Death Grips
>implying you didn't just ask your friends who probably share similar interests with you
>expecting anyone to believe a bullshit statement with no evidence

and of course

>trying to argue that Death Grips is mainstream
>>
>I didn't type this out to brag or anything
>death grips and lcd sound system

kek

Anyway I definitely wouldnt call myself a patrician.

>11-13
Hawthorne heights
AFI
Three Day's Grace
Gorillaz

>14-15
Modest Mouse
The Shins
Ani Difranco
CSN&Y

>16-17
Nick Drake
Of Montreal
The Decembrists
Neutral Meme Hotel

>18-19
Neil Young
Joanna Newsom
Simon & Garfunkel
Hozier

>20 (now)
Giles Corey
Stars of the Lid
Sufjan Stevens
Matt Elliott
random shit i find on bandcamp
>>
>>61914357
I actually heard a death grips song on a college radio station in town one time.
>>
>>61912950
I was a pleb, listened to Marquee Moon for the first time at about 15, never looked back.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.