[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>death grips is this decade's linkin park would you agree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 7
File: MOM GET OUT OF MY ROOM.jpg (14 KB, 227x300) Image search: [Google]
MOM GET OUT OF MY ROOM.jpg
14 KB, 227x300
>death grips is this decade's linkin park
would you agree with this proposition if not explain why
>>
>>61896814
No.
Calling Death Grips nu metal/Insane Clown Posse, Limp Bizkit, etc is an overused meme.
>>
they're this decade's insane clown posse and minecraft twitch users are the new juggalos
>>
>>61896814
No, because Death Grips is good and Linkin Park isn't.
>>
>>61896814
They're this decade's dälek and Techno Animal, But only the same way that Nickelback was the next decade's Nirvana
>>
>>61896814
While you could argue the same (sort of) for Linkin Park, I'd say it'd be hard to argue that Death Grips doesn't at least tread new ground in terms of underground-popular music and rap trends. It's also generally structurally complicated.
>>
>>61896879
that would be run the jewels actually, with their fans, the jewel runners
>>
>>61896909
I like Death Grips and I agree with this.
>>
File: 1449902400806.png (233 KB, 650x450) Image search: [Google]
1449902400806.png
233 KB, 650x450
>>61896814
People say this because they're aggressive, are (very roughly) similar in drawing from RAWK and hippity hap, and have shitty fanbases. Those are the only connections.

Linkin Park was a Warner Bros engineered act from the beginning. I don't have anything against those guys personally, but that's what their band is. Safe music for the radio. Their first few albums had no cursing and no songs that even reached four minutes in length, because they didnt want to limit or confuse their target demographic. The one time they tried to go in a moderately experimental direction, they did a big nope and went back to making easily digestible "rawk with rapman your parents won't yell at you for playing".

Death Grips actually worked the tour circuit, has Zach Hill, a genuinely talented musician with lots of respected projects under his belt, and did shit like dropping albums for free out of the blue and getting dropped from labels for making their sharpied cock the cover art. You can critisize that as pretentious or gimicky, but it's nothing like anything Linkin Park & associated acts have ever done.

And just in terms of music, Linkin Park is Limp Bizkit with simpler songs and no vulgarity, and the rap plays it as safe as possible while maintaining a minimum "cool hip hop :^)" vibe. Nothing like Death Grips, who's debut mixtape was a noisy, obscene exaggeration of everything considered offensive about punk and rap.

It's a bad comparison. Feel free to screencap for next time you see this tired, shitty meme
>>
Death Grips' legacy isn't cemented yet. If Bottomless Pit is their last album and it's good then they will without a doubt go down as one of the most ambitious bands ever. what Eno said about the Velvet Underground will be true with Death Grips. the influence is already evident with Cities Aviv, and blackhandpath.
>>
>>61897150
>Death Grips actually worked the tour circuit
So did Linkin Park
>>
>>61897380
They didn't really form until 1999, spent most of that year pursuing record deals, and released hybrid theory under Warner Bros in 2000 to platinum sales. They basically started out playing stadiums.
>>
>>61897520
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkin_Park
>Formed in 1996
>>
>>61896874
it's not that far off though, the problem is that people say this to try discredit them
but nah, their angst and aggression is more similar to slipknot's, i feel, both ride and corey are v theatrical but (imo) manage to sound sincere/convincing
theyre probably a more fitting comparison than lp also if we wanna get hung up on career paths, at least up until AHIG turned them super safe (iirc - havent listened to that one in years)
>>
>>61897686
Read the article. They consider the start of the band when three of them started mixing things in a bedroom in high school. Half of the lineup hadn't even met and no music produced under the name Linkin Park until 99. I used to be a big fan of Linkin Park as a teenager, I have no regrets about it and happen to know a lot about them. They were some moderately talented kids who got some really really lucky connections.
>>
>>61896814
They're no where near as melodramatic and cheesy
>>
>>61896909
Death Grips are better than Dalek and Techno Animal
>>
>>61897150
>speak to white teenagers
>hardcore
>edgy
it doesn't matter if they're better or not it's essentially the same impact
>>
>>61898003
*gimmickier
>>
>>61896814
If you genuinely believe that Death Grips would be considered acceptable and radio friendly by the average person then you are so far removed from normal humanity and entrenched in meta-memes that there is no hope for you

For fucks sakes, my mom listens to Linkin Park

[spoiler]but my dad listens to death grips[/spoiler]
>>
>>61896874
Just about...

but Death Grips are indeed a little more abrasive, both in sound and image.

I would imagine Linkin Park knew what their audience of "alternative" listeners (who somehow were in the millions, despite being "alternative") wanted and gave it to them. Death Grips knows what it's "alternative" audience wants and flips them the bird. But in terms of sheer musical approach/songwriting and even just straight up sound... they're not that far from Linkin Park. I could see the same kids in 2000 who listened to Linkin Park enjoying Death Grips.
>>
>>61898045
>it doesn't matter if the music is different as long as they have similar demographics by my own vague description

4/10 I replied
>>
>>61898139
the music isn't all that different from nümetal though. They're NIN meets hip hop instead of Tool meets hip hop.
>>
>>61898084
>conceptually better and refined
>>
>>61898209
good one
Dream Theater has better concepts than Death Grips ffs
>>
>>61898178
I don't see how someone can seriously think that though. Death Grips is far more abrasive and does some genuinely experimental stuff. Like I said before they have generally similar genre influences but their approach is about as different as it can be.
>>
>>61896814
they sound like icp+slipknot tbH
>>
HEALTH are
>>
>>61897873
madcausewrong.jpg
>>
>>61897873
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkin_Park
>Linkin Park released Hybrid Theory on October 24, 2000.[27][28] The album, which represented half a decade's worth of the band's work
>which represented half a decade's worth of the band's work
>half a decade's worth of the band's work
>half a decade's worth
>half
>a
>decade
>>
>>61898245
>Death Grips
>experimental
wut?
>>
>>61896814
They are two completely unrelated artists, with very different fanbases.
>>
>>61896814
There both just put under the category of "Edgy" there's literally no similarities between them besides that stupid internet buzzword.
>>
>>61896814
you should explain why they are first homie
>>
>>61898836
same target demographic
same edgy "i'm in so much pain" lyrical themes
same mixture of rap and hard rock aesthetics
>>
>>61898867
I liked hybrid theory when I first heard it. I think I was ten.

I like exmilitary a lot but haven't ever really gotten into death grips beyond that so I am in no way a death grips fanatic like most of this board

So, what am I then? I'll tell you. I'm a regular guy. I have a regular job, a regular gf, a regular dog and I like to have a glass of wine with dinner once a week for the antioxidants. If you met me you'd say, "hey, that guy was okay" and you'd forget me just as fast. I hope this helps.
>>
>>61899012
>posts on 4chan
>thinks of himself as a "regular guy"
I'm afraid I have some bad news for you
>>
>>61896814
Because Linkin Park's negative image is derived from its popularity despite its relative mediocrity and non-distinct sound. Death Grips is not 1/100th as popular as Linking Park. Death Grips is also far less conventional in its approach to music.
>>
>>61899046
>thinks 4chan is his sikrit club
>>
>>61899175
In the end, it doesn't even matter

Words of wisdom
>>
>>61898517
Not who you replied to but in respect to Linkin Park, yes, very much.
>>
>>61899173
The average person probably couldn't tell the difference between the two. If you made a playlist of both groups. No one would notice or think the tracks by death grips stood out as being more creative or interesting.
>>
>>61899175
>thinks that's what I was saying
wew lad
>>
>>61899217
no, not at all
>>
>>61896814
The burden of explanation is on you dumbass. Why don't you explain why first before we say no.
>>
>>61899012

But you still come to 4chan. Did you find out about DG through 4chan or through something else?

If it was because of 4chan than your claims are meaningless. You're just as much subject to the echo chamber of 4chan as the rest of us.
>>
>>61899344
Look, this isn't like proving god exists. Its just a discussion on which emo band is better the late 90s one or the now one. If you don't have anything to say to defend your choice then don't post. Stop posting.
>>
>>61899238
Oh so what the average person can't tell that Death Grips is much more interesting then Linkin Park. You know why your here It's because your discussing music that doesn't just appeal to the lowest common denominator and actually attempts to be creative.
>>
>>61899385
there's nothing creative, attempted or otherwise, about death grips

all they did was rip off obscure industrial hip hop acts that preceded them
>>
>>61899412
Such as kanye west
>>
>>61899238
Are you kidding? They aren't similar in the least. No listener is going to confuse them with one another. Im not saying one is more creative than another, but they dont' sound similar AT ALL. Linkin Park is normie as hell, meanwhile DG's sound is more controversial and abrasive than say, merzbows (only because memes).
>>61899313
Yes, a lot actually.
>>
Not really, no. Linkin Park was the natural extension of the Grunge zeigeist of the 90s, Death Grips doesn't get radioplay and doesn't really try to set or follow a trend so much as just do their own thing.
>>
>>61899455
no, not remotely. sorry

nothing death grips did could be considered experimental in any way - everything they did had already been done by other artists by the time they hit the scene
>>
>>61899412
How are you equating popular nu-metal acts with comparatively underground industrial hip-hop?
>>
>>61899489
How are you extracting that meaning from my posts which don't imply that in even the most remote fashion
>>
>>61899483
"Experimental" doesn't mean that they were the first to do what they did you retard. Additionally, you're comparing commercial Nu-metal to industrial hip-hop (a more aggressive/abrasive version of it at that). Nu-metal had been popular since the mid to late 90s, and proto-nu-metal had been popular even eariler (RATM) while industrial hip-hop has never been popular, with the exception of a Kanye album, which isn't similar to Death Grips in the least. So not only are they experimental in the literal sense, but in the relative as well.
>>
>>61899468
Death Grips gets played a lot on classic rock stations. More so than linkin park, so there's that.
>>
>>61897291
Kind of agree
>>
>>61899531
How? Its the thread topic you dipshit.
>>
>>61899683
Where? Fuck that sound like a fucking utopia.
>>
>>61899683
Its like you purposely switched that around. I've literally never heard death grips on the radio, ever.
>>
>>61899683
Nigga what? Classic radio stations? You're full of shit.
>>
File: 1451862333017.jpg (12 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1451862333017.jpg
12 KB, 320x240
>>61896814
death grips is a conceptual art exhibition anchored by sound and vision. above and beyond a "band"

fuck off poseurs, lmao
>>
>>61899643
>"Experimental" doesn't mean that they were the first to do what they did
that is precisely what it means actually, sorry

>you're comparing commercial Nu-metal to industrial hip-hop
no, i'm not

> not only are they experimental in the literal sense, but in the relative as well.
nah, neither
>>
I don't even like DG but saying they're the new Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park because they both have rock/hip-hop elements and self-depreciating lyrics is a stupid justification for disliking them
>>
>>61899710
I didn't write the OP nor am I attempting to substantiate any claim that the two are similar

all I have said is that DG isn't creative or experimental
>>
>>61899856
>secretly liked death grips.

Classic trick
>>
>>61899483

>something has to be a completely original thought in the history of music for it to be experimental

lol its k to admit you don't actually know what experimental music is.
>>
>>61899894
>>secretly liked death grips.
Not him but why would you secretly like a band?

unless you're a teenage cückold
>>
Linkin Park is better. As an examination of human emotion, as an exhibition of artistic worth and integrity. In all ways linking park achieved something death grips never will. It kept young kids from commuting suicide. It saved lives. Linkin park will outlast and outlive death grips.
>>
>>61899922
yes, it is okay - so why haven't you admitted it yet?
>>
File: bjork.jpg (51 KB, 720x468) Image search: [Google]
bjork.jpg
51 KB, 720x468
>>61898388
Don't you DARE say such a thing, i'll fuck you up
>>
>>61899834
>that is precisely what it means actually, sorry
No actually, it doesn't. There are few acts similar to death grips, and they haven't cited anyone one of them as influences.
>no, i'm not
Yes you did, unless you jumped on the line of replies before here
>>61898517
>>61899217
>nah, neither
quite actually, courtesy of most publications and reviewers that have covered them.
>>61899858
The whole point of the thread was to compare them, the person you originally replied to contrasted them specifically. If you want to jump into a thread simply to say "death grips isn't creative or experimental" then its not my fault when people misinterpret your intentions. In fact, you're in the wrong thread.
>>
>>61899894

I don't give a shit about them, that does not mean I would rationalize that by going with the "they the new hip nu-metal band!!!"-meme though
>>
>>61900031
>they haven't cited anyone one of them as influences.
Jimi Hendrix, of course, of course.
>>
>>61897150
I'm saving this as pasta
>>
>>61900031
>autism level: off da chartz
wew lad
>>
>>61896814
Linkin Park became meme tier because of anime AMVs

I would say fuck off, but then i remembered the same audience is now on the Dank meme bandwagon so you might be partially right.
>>
>>61900010
What a school yard response.

Don't actually address the allegation. Just toss it right back.

Expert deliberation.
>>
>>61900069
???
>>61900122
>replying to everyone in one post instead of one at a time
>autism
ok m8y
>"I don't like death grips!"
>"Haha XD they are like [insert universally hated musician(s)]
wew lad, day autism
>>
>>61900235
it's okay to admit you don't know what experimental music is, anon
>>
Not exactly because Death Grips has some good stuff, Linkin Park is garbage all around.
>>
>>61900283
Since your whole argument hinges on "dg isn't experimental" despite critics' assertions that it is, the burden of proof lies on you, though I suspect you've lost interest in serious replies
>>
>>61900283

This anon has probably dipped out of the thread.>>61900367

Left thinking "Heh you trolled him good" most likely.
>>
>>61900367
critics' assertions =/= truth, sorry
>>
>>61900564

And what makes your assertions as to what genre of music it is any more relevant than any critics?

You're a critic too you know. Only difference is you aren't smart enough to get paid to spout your opinions.
>>
>>61900564
critics' assertions > your assertions
not sorry at all, that was obvious as shit
>>
>>61900650
or lucky enough (i.e.- Deathany Gripstano)
>>
>>61900650
DG isn't experimental

I'm sorry that this upsets you so much
>>
>>61900667
false, sorry
>>
File: _mixtape_cover_ 005.jpg (147 KB, 932x881) Image search: [Google]
_mixtape_cover_ 005.jpg
147 KB, 932x881
>>61896874
You the type of fag that thinks JB is good now aren't u
>>
>>61900672
They are as per most descriptions of the band. You're trying to cover for your arguments lack of grounding by passive aggressively pretending that you're right despite your argumentative ground being compromised.
>>
>>61900701
Oh, I'm sorry. Please give me your credentials for me to verify your authority on the matter and then we can move this along.
>>
>>61900703
oh shit, nerfs fired.
>>
>>61900738
Nah, they're not experimental at all. sorry
>>
>>61900757
lol what a fucking nerd
>>
>>61900900
they are actually, my apologies
>>
File: IMG_20160108_150246~01.jpg (69 KB, 723x576) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160108_150246~01.jpg
69 KB, 723x576
>>61900828
>confirms it
>nerf

>Dis u?
>>
>>61900951
>>
>>61900981
>>
>>61898104
I want specific comparisons.
>>
No:

A) Linken Park still exist
B) Linken Park never made anything as soul crushingly awful as Jenny death
>>
>>61900981
I actually do though, dg is experiemtnal, sorry man, I know how much that meant to you
>>
>>61898104

>Death Grips knows what it's "alternative" audience wants and flips them the

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

>fuckyou
>>
>>61901055
>I actually do though
>dg is experimental
cool contradiction anon
>>
>>61900971
mynama?
>>
>>61901102
i love you
>>
not that terrible of a band, the fanbase is just shit. also jenny death is an awful, awful record.
>>
>>61901285
how can a human being think this? OH.. you didnt solve the captcha
>>
Both bands have one decent album and a lot of shit.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.