[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you appreciate Classical music? It just feels difficult
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: Classical-Music-Wallpaper.jpg (339 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
Classical-Music-Wallpaper.jpg
339 KB, 1600x1000
How do you appreciate Classical music? It just feels difficult to listen to. I want to get into it but damn, it's tough. Can only intelligent people appreciate it?
>>
>>61895158
if you don't like it don't listen to it
>>
It's from such a culturally different time and place that I don't really enjoy it. I respect it, but I'll never listen to it for fun.
>>
>>61895228
But I'm just wondering if there's a sort of barrier I need to break through to finally start to understand it.
>>
>>61895258
Probably several hundred years and thousands of miles of cultural difference.
>>
Just start with the more generic stuff and you'll find different styles and sounds that you like. For me, I liked a few Beethoven pieces, then found I really liked Beethoven's 7th symphony, 2nd movement. I found that that sound was pretty similar to that of Tchaikovsky. On the other hand, I found I absolutely hated Vivaldi, so I avoid anything that sounds like they like the plague.
>>
>>61895258
Yes there is. It's hard at first to really "follow" the melody.
Modern music is built on a riff/verse structure, whilst classical music is divided in phrases, of course some passages have repetitions but it's completely different.
I'd suggest taking something friendly at first, like the first movement of tchaikovsky's piano concerto in Bminor and listening it once every day for, say, a fortnight. When you're able to sing all of it by memory (well at least in your head, you don't actually have to be able to sing) you'll probably "get" it. Worked for me, at least
>>
>>61895377
not even all of it, say the first five minutes. What i want you to do is basically know it like you would know a song you're into
>>
>>61895238
>>61895280
>hundred years and thousands of miles of cultural difference
But classical music includes plenty of 20th century stuff from a variety of countries. It doesn't have to be from 17th century Italy to be classical.
>>
>>61895377
I quite enjoy this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leXt4ilaPdA
>>
>>61895158
You just have to find something you like. Starting with "entry-level" stuff like Mozart or Bach is probably a bad idea. Listen to music from the modern or contemporary eras instead like Debussy, they're much more accessible to a modern listener of popular music. You can work your way backwards from that.

>>61895238
>>61895280
Pretty much this. You've been conditioned from childhood into enjoying popular music. If you were born a century or two ago you'd probably love classical instead, since that's what would've been played around you.
>>
>>61895365
This is my favourite version of it:
https://youtu.be/6qROema2MDI

And this is Yuja Wang's, who's hot and has better sound quality:
https://youtu.be/Yue6Cb5OULM
>>
>>61895460
Try Chopin or Tchaikovsky's Piano Concertos
>>
>>61895158
You just need to find a composer you like, I prefer Chopin.
>>
>>61895460
It's really great, I recommend both Van Cliburn's and Ashkenazi versions of it; my question would be the same though, could you sing its main melody by memory? (of the first movement at least)
>>
>>61895548
I find myself singing some of the first movement every now and then. It's very recognizable.
>>
do people really think its hard to like classical music

i just think thats weird as fuck honestly
>>
>>61895573
Why is that weird?
>>
>>61895609
it just is to me

its music its not hard to listen
>>
>>61895570
Ok then i think it's just a matter of knowing more and more and understanding how things evolved from things.
Also you might like some forms of classical music more than others. I for istance prefer concertoes and chamber music over symphonies, generally speaking.
https://youtu.be/rvdEjg-EDTk
>>
>>61895638
Well yeah you can listen. You can listen to anything. I can listen to someones bunghole flapping with poop flying out but I'm talking about understanding and appreciating the music. Not just listening.
>>
>>61895735
git gud
>>
File: image17.png (121 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
image17.png
121 KB, 600x350
>people find Western Classical hard to enjoy/understand
wat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

how can someone not enjoy this
>>
Read a music history book.
>>
>>61895764
Western Classical music is 1 piece of a minor Composer

Also Op usually avoid listening to classical music proposed by /mu/, if it's not one of the big names it's usually minor/modern american composers who can be appreciated only by people who have listened to everything else
>>
Perhaps you're not listening to the right stuff? I recommend Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.2. It'll blow you away. I hope it turns you on to classical.
>>
>>61895750
I'm trying dude, I'm trying.
>>
>>61895881
I posted that earlier in a YouTube link. Yeah I like it. It's pretty dope.
>>
>>61895764
Because Holst is shit
>>
>>61895929
feel bad
>>
>>61895764
Sounds like a soundtrack to some shitty film or video game.
>>
>>61896440
an excerpt of that was actually used on Civ 5
>>
>>61896440

You mean vidya soundtracks sound like that. Video game/blockbuster film scores are extremely derivative and worth nothing, artistically.
>>
>>61895158
studying music theory to understand whats happening in music will help I.E learning compostitional devices like sequence and inversion and being able totell when a subject is developed etc will make listening alot more enjoyable.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.