[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do producers actually do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: brian-eno.jpg (38 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
brian-eno.jpg
38 KB, 306x306
What do producers actually do?
>>
They produce
>>
production.
they "color" the music.
it depends on the producer, really, on how involved they are or how much they change the music.
i've seen it compared to the director of a film.
>>
i was thinking about that rn
>>
>>61888948
Make sure your shit sounds good because most people who make music get delusional in their vision and you get absolutely shit in a bad sound quality.
>>
>>61888948
What they do varies. They're the ones putting together all the elements in some cases. If it's like a hip hop album then they're making the instrumental. Producers like eno do bits and pieces of everything and heavily involved in creative direction
>>
>>61888948
they're just for standing around looking nice and holding your stuff
>>
they are like the directors of a movie and the musicians are the actors
>>
>>61889178
engineer is the cameraman
>>
File: kiernan.jpg (242 KB, 921x1000) Image search: [Google]
kiernan.jpg
242 KB, 921x1000
>>61889019

let people use their equipment
>>
>>61889178
no, music producers are analogous to movie producers. they have lots of money and access to equipment and still have some creative input on the final product.

unless you're talking strictly about the modern idea of "production" thrown around in hip hop circles.
>>
put samples together and wait for you to react with some stupid shit to it
>>
they guide the recording process, helping in getting songs from idea and composition to a recording that sounds good.
>>
>own the equipment/studio space
>help the musician select equipment
>plan the most efficient way to record a piece
>record the musicians takes
>mix/pre mix the material

They could do more or less it depends on the band and producer
>>
>>61888948
they tell you what you're doing is shit
>>
>>61889281
and the sound engineer
>>
stare at this fucking screen until my eyes bleed. lose sleep. listen to the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, for hours. lose mental stability. simply cannot get the kick drum to sit well. spend a week on the kick drum. give up. give band their final mixes, feeling ashamed, and depressed.
>>
If the producer is Roy Thomas Baker, his job is to make you record the same vocal track 78 times and stack it.
>>
>>61889302
This. In my experience of working with producers this is their most important role. They are willing to say what members of the band can't say to each other.
>>
Thats such a broad question, and totally genre dependent... a hip hop producer isnt going to be doing the same thing as a rock producer, but basically, they do whatever needs to be done for the record to come out
>>
File: 1443543223599.jpg (775 KB, 1280x1266) Image search: [Google]
1443543223599.jpg
775 KB, 1280x1266
Record your album then talk shit about it
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.