[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why have the large majority of goth bands imitated his vocal style?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: ian curtis 2.jpg (103 KB, 500x658) Image search: [Google]
ian curtis 2.jpg
103 KB, 500x658
Why have the large majority of goth bands imitated his vocal style?
>>
You mean Jim Morrison's voice?
>>
File: ian.jpg (10 KB, 236x258) Image search: [Google]
ian.jpg
10 KB, 236x258
Have they?
>>
>>61870982
I don't remember Peter Murphy ever singing like Ian.
>>
>>61870982
I don't know, his voice sucks.
>>
>>61870982
>>61871092
It's distinctive. Though I thought the kinda less sing-y more chant-y vocals was mainly post-punk though
>>
>>61870982
I think Ians voice sound best in this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWubDt9V6MQ
>>
>>61870982
goth bands have imitated a lot more than vocal style from joy division
>>
>>61870982
its obvious. same reason the guitarists insist on soniyouth tuning guitars. its easy mode, and just in case no one is familiar with the reference, you appear to be a genius. but its mainly the easy mode. can't sing well? fuck it, just sing the same note over and over again and be done with it.
>>
>>61871705
>same reason the guitarists insist on soniyouth tuning guitars.

This isn't something that all that many bands have really done, especially goth bands.
>>
Don't forget Ian was aiming to imitate Jimbo (see >>61871006) and to some extent Bowie, iggy, and lou reed.

Between those 4 guys and throw in Nico, you really do have the Dna for every subsequent goth singer. In all cases Jim was first though.
>>
>>61871786
i guess thats my anecdotal. as i remember lousy house shows half the bands were just randomly strumming on open tunings
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.