[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will this memeword die?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 696x262) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 696x262
When will this memeword die?
>>
why are people using it so much lately anyway

>dude you don't like [literally any artist ever]? u must be a contrarian xD

shit is fucking annoying
>>
>>61869625
When pleb and patrician does
>>
>>61869625
but it's the perfect word to describe so many people here
>>
>>61869836
>>61869841
><><>reddit
>>
>>61869879
if you use contrarian you belong on reddit
>>
>>61869625
your life is a meme
>>
>>61869908
if you use reddit you need to kys
>>
>>61869976
this, everyone should just die
>>
>>61869625
When this board stops being full of them.
>>
when the word problematic dies
>>
>>61869879
If you use contrarian you're literally a redditor, even if you don't browse the site itself. It's a concept invented by idiots with reddit sensibilities who are too fragile to deal with criticism of mediocre media that has widespread appeal.

It's a troubling manifestation of millennials' mental weakness. Seriously, the only people who would even entertain any "argument" involving the concept of being "contrarian" are weak, lazy idiots who can't deal with criticism substantively.

If it bothers you that much that people criticize mediocre mass-marketed work designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like Kendrick Lamar, The Big Bang Theory, Michael Bay flicks, etc., you should find a safe bubble and stay there. Or kill yourself.
>>
>>61869625
It's not a "memeword".

Hating music just because it's popular makes you a contrarian faggot. Most people grow out of that phase by 18. In fact, I instantly assume that anyone who hates popular music because it's popular is underage.
>>
If you use any of the following as an ''argument'' then you've already lost;

meme-
contrarian
hipster
racist
reddit
9gag
epic
pleb
:^)
>>
>>61870006
You know or you're older than 17 and you grew out of loving 4chan.
>>
>>61870068
>If you use contrarian you're literally a redditor, even if you don't browse the site itself
Then you are *literally* not a redditor.
>>
>>61870096
pretty much
>>
>>61870083
and how do you know that they don't legitimately hate popular music without any ulterior motives
>>
>>61869625
>memeword
look up the definition of meme, all words that describe an idea are memes
>>
>>61870068
Shouldn't you be shooting up a college?
>>
Contrarian is a real word with a real meaning that applies to many people on this board, but also society in general.

I guess "pretentious" means the same thing though, so maybe we should just use that instead?
>>
>>61870160
Its just a long winded way of saying contrarian.
>>
>>61870172
upboated
>>
>>61870132
>literally a redditor
>even if you don't browse the site itself
>literally
>even if you don't browse the site itself
ummm ok then, I see you have a firm grasp of what words mean.
>>
>>61870160
Because popular music covers a huge range of genres and levels of complexity. It really doesn't even have to be radio music for a bunch of contrarian /mu/holes to not like it, it just has to be popular enough that 8 people at a house party would recognize it.
>>
>>61870182
Some days ago we had a similar discussion with the word pretentious, i don't think they're gonna accept being called neither.
>>
>>61870182
Pretentious is not synonymous with contrarian.
>>
>>61870231
Or maybe its just different people who like different genres on /mu/ don't all like the same thing and they like other genres and they might like popular artists in those genres, just not the ones you like.
>>
>>61870182
contrarian means being against something a lot of people like just for the sake of feeling above everyone else
pretentious just means you feel above everyone else
not all pretentious people are contrarian
>>
>>61870231
This is completely true.
>>
>>61870255
And there is no way of proving anyone is being contrarian so its a null argument for people unable to discuss the music.
>>
>>61870251
if that were the case they wouldn't feel the need to get angry that some one liked something that didn't, no would they?
>>
>>61870213
If you don't browse it, you are not *literally* a redditor.

Do you have a firm grasp on the English language?
>>
>>61870251
I'm not saying that this whole board is like that, but a huge portion of here will disregard music literally just for the reason that it's somewhat well known.
>>
>>61870282
You can clearly see when someone is hating on something just for the sake of hating though.
>>
>>61870123
ebin
>>
>>61870282
that may be true, but my post had nothing to do with whether people were justified with pulling the contrarian card
>>
>>61870068
I recognize this pasta from somewhere
>>
>>61870255
>not all pretentious people are contrarian
But, all contrarians are pretentious.
>>
>>61870282
If they can't give any valid reason for hating it, yeah, it's a good sign they are being a c******n
>>
>>61870342
one could say you are being contrarian for make the post you just made, you know
>>
>>61870309
>>61870313
>>61870350
Prove it.

I don't like any of the 12 album /mu/core chart floating about atm but I like artists in other genres with 100,000s of listeners ie The Prodigy and Bach, does that make me contrarian or someone with different tastes?
>>
>>61870317
It's true. If I mentioned 4chan in a group of my friends I would be mocked and they would call me a teenager. About half of my adult friends will occasionally bring up something they saw on reddit.

It's a given that using 4chan at 24 years old is weird.
>>
>>61870350
>they are being a c******n
>c******n
>censoring yourself on 4chan
also wtf was that word anyhow
>>
Contrarian = person who dislikes acclaimed music
Hipster = person who dislikes popular music
>>
>>61870284
even if someone got irrationally angry, that doesn't say anything about their motivation for not liking something
>>61870350
or they're just not very good at formulating their thoughts
>>
>>61870096
>racist
This is a valid arg unless the person wasn't being racist
>>
>>61870374
If you don't like music just because it's popular, you're contrarian. It's that simple.
>>
>>61870365
Yeah, but they'd be wrong.

Give me on example of a contrarian who isn't also being pretentious.
>>
>>61870424
Yes I get that, but you can never prove thats why someone dislikes something so its a null argument because you don't know.
>>
>>61870407
>still using hipster as an insult
it's not 2009 anymore
>>
>>61870374
If you have arguments to not like them you're completely fine. In fact, you don't even need real arguments to not care about /mu/core, just don't start bitching about how bad those albums are whenever they're posted.
>>
>>61870231
i get what you mean and i sorta agree with you, but the thing is that people here usually resort to false dichotomy and use it to attack someone for not liking a specific artist

you may like the Beatles (the best-selling band of all time) but if you dislike, say, Kanye, Bowie, or, hell, even any top 40 pop singer popular atm like Bieber, someone will still call you a contrarian
>>
>>61870374
>Prove it.
Burden of proof isn't on us. It's on you (if you are OP, of course)
>, does that make me contrarian or someone with different tastes?
Well, explain why you don't like it.
>>61870396
Sorry, I'm not from reddit so I don't use the word.
>>61870415
>or they're just not very good at formulating their thoughts
Then they shouldn't be commenting on music. Youtube Comments might be a better place for you/them.
>>
>>61870407
just so we're clear, you know that music being acclaimed doesn't matter at all, right?
>>
>>61870469
Depends by who
>>
>>61870487
why and who do you have in mind
>>
>>61870446
Yeah but humans do this thing where they can often read between the lines of other people's communications and infer their feelings or intentions.

>>61870457
I'm really getting the vibe that I'm way too old for this board at 24.

Is anyone here even close to my age?
>>
>>61870440
you are twisting things just so you can be angry over nothing
>>
>>61870447
>COME ON IT'S 2016
>>
>>61870516
Who says I'm angry?
>>
>>61870513
>Yeah but humans do this thing where they can often read between the lines of other people's communications and infer their feelings or intentions.
people also read into things where nothing is actually there
>>
>>61870513
are you a psychic
>>
>>61870548
why else would you make such a big deal over suck a benign statement
>>
>>61870513
I'm 25, and some people have claimed to be over 30 while talking to me here.
>>
>>61869625
When people stop dismissing albums as "memes" simply because they're a shit posting childish faggot cunt.
>>
When will the meme Reddit die?
>>
>>61870499
There are albums that are loved by /mu/ and certain critics, but hated by others
>>
>>61870575
Lol, when did I ever make a big deal about anything in this thread?
>>
>>61870567
No but I'm a normal person who isn't socially retarded.

>>61870586
Do you get the same feeling that I do about this? I mean, we're 25 and 24, but I have the strong sense that we're surrounded by teenagers.
>>
>>61870387
Oh fuck off. People of all ages use 4chan. Don't be so fucking insecure. There are grown men watching ponies and jerking off to them and you're worried about using 4chan?
>>
>>61870586
I am over 30.

AMA
>>
>>61870612
You... probably are.
>>
>>61870612
>Do you get the same feeling that I do about this? I mean, we're 25 and 24, but I have the strong sense that we're surrounded by teenagers.
Yup. there are these threads about "stuff you listened to in high school" and then they start posting rap-rock bands from 2008 onwards that I've never heard of because I wasn't young enough at the time to be marketed to them.
>>
>>61870617
I know people of all ages use 4chan, I'm saying that this board is mostly teenagers by a large margin.

I'm not "worried" about being here, I'm just getting the sense that I'm too old to be here and that the people here are so irrational and immature because they're literally high schoolers and middle schoolers.
>>
>>61870611
stop baiting
though to be fair this thread is bait in the first place, I don't even know why I'm responding, what has my life come to
>>
>>61870096
Anyone that unironically uses the word meme to dismiss an album just can't think of a logical enough reason to argue why they dislike it.
>>
>>61870513
you're exactly the type of condescending faggot who use "contrarian" ad nauseam
>>
>>61870612

Not that guy but yeah it's no secret that /mu/ has one of the largest underage populations of any board.
>>
>>61870654
you are being pretty damn immature by making this sort of statement, you know
>>
>>61870609
yes, that is obvious. what's your point?

my point is that it's stupid to pay attention to critics and what they say. i think it's a lot healthier to form your own opinions on things without outside influence getting in the way one way or another. there's no such thing as objectively good or bad music, and the contrary of this notion is most certainly not proven by what critics and scores and people and groups and numbers think.
>>
>>61870513
>I'm really getting the vibe that I'm way too old for this board at 24.
im 21, why are you bringing up age?
>>
>>61870654
We'd never know seeing as people here are too stupid to bother giving an accurate statistic. I'm 21 myself, but I have been on 4chan since I was about 16-17. By some of the asinine arguments I've had and seen on here, I wouldn't be surprised. I keep coming here though because it's one of the only chan websites that isn't dead all the time. Plus, reddit is shit tier. I should really delete my account on that fucking site.
>>
>>61870681
Well that fucking sucks. I wonder why, it's not the most immature topic.

>>61870695
Lol I'd love to hear how.
>>
>>61870675
actually, it's more likely that they haven't even listened to it all and are just going by mob mentality, like the people that hate all vaporwave for being "meme music"
>>
>>61870705
you're my fav trip, xus
>>
>>61870745
you too man
>>
>>61870718
I'm bringing up age because I recently started using /mu/ and I'm getting the strong vibe that most of the posts in this thread an every thread on this board were made by high schoolers.
>>
>>61870732
Agreed. As much as I hate moderation, this website lacks it too much though.
>>
>>61870755
are you referring to my post (>>61870457)?
what did give you the vibe that im underage?
>>
>>61870705
>without outside influence getting in the way
whatchu mean, dont you like hearing out what others took away from a piece of music?
>>
>>61870859
Not really yours specifically. I just kind of had the realization while clicking on your post to respond to it. Your lack of capitalization contributed too.
>>
>>61870870
i guess so, but i honestly only care when i ask someone. i have the reviews section on rym disabled for this reason.
>>
>>61870891
english isn't my native language and i come home tired from work, im not going to bother with punctuation and shit if anyone can understand me just fine without doing that
>>
>>61870970
Fair enough, like I said it wasn't really about you.

I'm just looking around and seeing a bunch of teenage opinions.
>>
>>61870794
actually, moderation here is pretty all over the place, some days you have mods/janitors deleting and banning for even the most minuscule of things, others, like tonight, there seems to be no moderation at all and the trolls are free to do as they please.
Wish they could get their act together so there could be some sort of consistent middle ground.
>>
>>61871053
They do it for free so I'm not surprised it's shit.
>>
>>61871072
there are other forums where the mods do it for free and it works out though, I really think it has more to do with the culture of this site than it does whether or not they are paid
>>
>>61871339
Agreed. It seems to be socially acceptable to shit post or something. I can't stand it personally. I'd rather just have a normal discussion but people always seem keen to just "meme" this and "contrarian" that. Same goes for all other boards.
>>
>>61871395
I think another problem is that the janitors, who are at the low end of the totem pole and are made clear of this constantly, are the only ones that are board specific, the mods themselves moderate the entire site and there for do not always understand the different cultures of different boards and think just because shitposting is perfectly fine on one board it is on all, or just because their board are autists that hate all tripcoders all boards are like that.
>>
>>61871871
Agreed. There needs to be some sort of board/thread to sort it out. Because this is how some of my favourite boards become unbearable to the point of me completely leaving them.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.