[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Headphones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
Looking for a new pair of headphones. A pair to replace my AKG K550 (my first pair of headphones) which I've had for a couple of years but always planned to trade up for something better at some point. Really don't have a huge list of requirements.

>They have to be closed and not leak a tremendous amount of sound
>I'd prefer on ear this time around rather than over ear
>6.3 mm adapter would be nice but I guess it isn't essential right now
>And lets say under 350 would be the price range

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Headphones general I guess. Will bump with candidates I've been looking at semi-seriously if necessary.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>61869371
>wanting advice
>not posting the genres you typically listen to
>>
Why do they have to be closed? Open headphones have a much better soundstage. If you don't plan on using them in loud areas or areas where you'd disturb others you might want to consider more open phones
>>
>>61869417
Well that's just the thing, unlike my last pair, I actually plan to be out and about with these. Hence the on ear preference. I'm aware of all that, it's just this time around, I'm actually going to school. In a city. So. There you go.
>>
>>61869473
Why not IEM's then? You can get better value for money, if that's your priority
>>
>>61869571
350 dollar price ceiling shouldn't really suggest that money's a priority. I mean, I'm no position to be dropping a couple grand on a good pair of phones. But in ear just isn't what I'm looking for. The 6.3 mm adapter would be for home listening. Not something I could really get out of in ear models.
>>
>>61869639
Alright then.

Are you looking for more sleek models, or can they be bulky?
>>
>>61869710
Preferably built with mobility in mind, but whatever you'd recommend I'd be interested in seeing.
>>
>>61869739
Tbh, for a pair you can treat somewhat badly, I'd recommend the Mad Dogs perhaps, though you'd look like a sperg walking around with them

https://mrspeakers.com/shop/1-headphones/mad-dog-leather-alpha-pads-comfort-strap/
>>
If you're looking a for a "Hi-Fi on the go" type of thing, check out the NAD Viso HP50 or Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GM. If you're looking for a warmer, bassier sound check out the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. All are around $250, which leaves you some room to get a small amp/dac if you please.
>>
>>61869891
Also this
>>
>>61869833
Nice, I wouldn't rule that out at all, it's got everything I'm looking for.

A couple of the top contenders from my research:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/Headphones/P5-Series-2.html

http://www.masterdynamic.com/products/mh30-on-ear-headphones?variant=964676749

>>61869891
I'm not familiar with NAD, but I'm taking a look at them now and they're not so bad either. As for Audio-Technica, I had been looking at this model:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/f463e2cab64ebbcc/index.html

But I've heard a lot about Audio-Technia products being very bass heavy which has me a little wary. Especially with the 42 mm drivers. And I was thinking about Momentum as well. Sennheiser make quality products generally, right?
>>
Beats by Dre
>>
>>61870033
All of Senns higher quality headphones are very nice, get iffy when you get below the $100 mark, but that's true for almost every major headphone maker. For the Momentum's themselves, their incredibly well made, and look and feel luxurious, if you opt for them make sure you get the 2.0, much more comfortable and a more well rounded sound.
>>
>>61870158
Alright, excellent. And yeah, it was the 2.0 I'd been looking into. Do you know anything about Beyerdynamic by any chance?
>>
>>61870220
Most of their 'phones are suited for home use rather than portable, they've got the DT-1350 and T51i (just an updated version of the 1350), both have exceptional, if somewhat sterile sound quality, and the tightness makes them nearly leak proof but uncomfortable for long listening sessions.

Just an FYI, I work at an audio store in NY so that's where I'm getting my info from.
>>
>>61870220
There's the DT770's obviously, but also dt1350's and t51/51i
>>
>>61869891
>>61870033
I have a pair of ATH-MSR7's and they are fucking fantastic. The clearest sounding closed cans I own. Not bass heavy at all. Very slightly on the bright side, but it's done wonderfully and gives it the clarity it has. And portable. Great pair.
>>
>>61870328
>T51i
Huh, funny. That's the exact model I was looking at. And no, thanks for the heads up, I do really appreciate it. Alright, last question then, are there any online resources I could refer to for reviews or comparisons that you trust?

>>61870351
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/music-pleasure/t-51-i.html

Yup, these were on the short list too.

>>61870375
That sounds great. How portable are they? Can you wear them around comfortably?
>>
>>61870410
Head-fi is alright, but most reviewers are superstitious, so take impressions with a grain of salt
>>
>>61870410
Really portable. They actually clamp pretty tightly, which can be a good or bad thing. I personally like it because they don't fall off my head at all. I have somewhat of a bigger head, so I gently stretched them out slightly like he does in the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd8bleLsSfU

Clarity is my crack. When I can't use an open headphone, I immediately grab my msr7's.
>>
>>61870537
Okay then, thanks a bunch for all the help man.

>>61870556
Alright then, that about settles that, definitely will consider those. Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>61870410
The community at Head-fi is generally well informed and helpful, if a bit elitist, certainly better than anything you'll read on /g/. Each headphone we've discussed has it's individual page you can look up specs/reviews on, and there's a continuity to most of the reviews instead of the wildly varying things you'll read on Amazon.
>>
sennheiser hd 25-1 ii

everything else in this thread is either too big or fashion-phones.
>>
>>61870585
No problem. Hope you find the sound you're looking for.
>>
>>61870596
>everything else in this thread is either too big or fashion-phones.
with the exception of 1350s*

i have a pair of those. they can be very, very hit or miss. expect to go return a pair or two till you get one that's okay.
>>
>>61870588
Alright, that's great. I just get paranoid about reviews thinking they're all bought off.

>>61870596
Was looking at those along with Momentum. They're slightly more expensive and I can't see a reason to justify the additional expense when the Momentum seems perfectly suitable.

>>61870608
Thanks, me too.
>>
>>61870671
>They're slightly more expensive and I can't see a reason to justify the additional expense when the Momentum seems perfectly suitable.
at the very least they'll stop you looking like a fuccboi

you may also spontaneously develop an interest in techno
>>
>>61870741
But I already have an interest in techno.
>>
>>61870765
good, then get the 25-1s and make it official.
>>
>>61870788
What, are they like the official headphones sponsor of techno or something? Nice dubs by the way. Something to consider. Not like I wasn't already.
>>
>>61870836
>What, are they like the official headphones sponsor of techno or something?
http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1954

yes
>>
>>61870865
Huh. Well then. So I've never been in a /bleep/ thread before. Are RA's reviews/articles/what have you treated like gospel there? Or what's up with RA's standing in (to use incredibly broad terminology that I know you guys hate) electronic music circles? Are they really taken as seriously as all that?
>>
>>61870935
>Are RA's reviews/articles/what have you treated like gospel there?
not really.

>Or what's up with RA's standing in (to use incredibly broad terminology that I know you guys hate) electronic music circles?
they're fairly important.

>Are they really taken as seriously as all that?
by artists not so much. by consumers, a little moreso.

trust tho, bruh, the hd25-1 are the unofficial techno travel pair.

they're also very well regarded by by the folks over at head-fi. in fact, there's a direct hd 25 vs dt1350 video by that site.
>>
>>61871066
Well shit man. Thanks for the information. I'll have to try to hop in a /bleep/ thread sometime. And they're both definitely models I'm going to be looking closely at. Might have to check out that video too. Thanks again anon.
>>
Just got the Oppo PM-3, they are really fucking good
>>
>>61869371
Go ask in headphones general on /g/
>>
>>61872261
Okay. Tomorrow then. Never been to /g/. Kind of winding down now I hope. Got to go to sleep soon. I really appreciate all the feedback I got here though. It's been very helpful.
>>
>>61871908
I am filled with lust for those
>>
>>61869371

ATH M50x
>>
>>61869371
>>61872381
I have the ATH-M40x and they are really good and not too expensive.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.