[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HOW IS THIS NOT ON YOUR JAZZ LIST?!?!?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (280 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
280 KB, 1136x640
HOW IS THIS NOT ON YOUR JAZZ LIST?!?!?
>>
>>61866084
I dont have a jazz list lol haha
>>
File: lloyd_marvels.jpg (45 KB, 427x427) Image search: [Google]
lloyd_marvels.jpg
45 KB, 427x427
because it's 2016 now
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 1136x640
>>61866112
>not having a jazz list
>>
>>61866140
>white people
>>
Ok
ON THE DEAD HOMIES
>>
so jazzfags, is this album legit? or is it hipster jazz, a la deafheaven being hipster black metal.
>>
I have a hard time taking anything that calls itself epic seriously
>>
>>61866775
it's good u fag
>>61866807
Ur mom calls my dick the epic
>>
>>61866775
not a jazzfag but the production sucks imo
>>
Because I don't listen to Jazz anything past the 70's.
>>
>>61867013
This but not really because I'm a fucking weaboo faggot who sucks Yoko Kanno's dick.
>>
>>61866775
>is it hipster jazz

It's basically the smooth jazz of our generation.
>>
I like jazz
>>
>>61866775
deafheaven is still good
>>
Anyone who's listened to more than 50 jazz albums will hate this piece of phony shit.
>>
>>61866084
the songs don't surprise me, everything seems too cliché
>>
>>61866775
Okay serious jazz guy here (not just puffing smoke, i literally have a pointless degree in jazz studies) and honestly The Epic is pretty much vanguard stuff. The problem is that the vanguard of jazz these days is pretty much just awesome technique and borrowing elements from 50's, 60's and 70's jazz. I mean after free jazz and fusion theres not really anywhere for jazz to go imo but just as music The Epic is pretty fucking awesome.

People who bitch about too long songs, too long solos, too long of an album are just people who dont like jazz. Since the late 50's most serious jazz is long as shit because every member has a lot to say in their solos. The melody of tunes almost dont matter anymore which i think turns non jazzers away from the music.

I could do without some of the special effects in the album but again thats a staple of modern acoustic jazz to sprinkle it in a bit.
>>
>>61869079
>implying you have listen to 50 jazz albums
>>
>>61866775
It's a good album, just way, way overhyped. Besides being 3 hours long and having been released on Brainfeeder this album has nothing special going on at all. It's a lot of style and not that much substance. It's not bad but there are so many other jazz albums that came out last year that are just as good and better.
>>
>>61869365
Yes, I am. 50 albums isn't that much lol.
>>
>>61869753
Keep telling yourself that
I've listen to 2000 albums
>>
>>61870619
lol, babby's first steps in jazz
>>
shut up elvis
>>
>>61870668
>>61870619
>>61869753
>>61869365
>>61869079

>my dick is bigger than yours
>>
>>61869054
didn't say they weren't, my dindu.
>>
>>61869216
on my way to a pointless degree in jazz studies, i feel the same way as you. Although I will say the solos aren't really anything that mind blowing, but I do really enjoy the somewhat unique arrangements of some standards on the album
>>
>>61869365
I've heard 180 (full length albums.) I can see because I use RYM.
>>
Ive listend to 500 jazz albums and its is just good at the most.
>>
File: kneedalus.jpg (94 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
kneedalus.jpg
94 KB, 500x500
this is the superior brainfeeder jazz album of 2015, fight me. The only interesting thing about the epic is the string and choir arrangements, everything else is just a throwback to hippy/spiritual jazz of the 60s and 70s eg pharoah sanders. solos are nice but not mind-blowing.

kneedelus on the other hand is an album that tries to do something new with the blending of electronic and acoustic elements, odd time signatures, some interesting tonality etc, obviously this is something jazz guys do all the time nowadays but at least it's an album which wants to be something new and unique (which by the way I think is the most important part of playing 'jazz', whatever that is)
>>
>>61866154
lol the needle drop's 'jazz list' of 2015 is literally just this album he doesn't make any effort to listen to modern jazz really
>>
>>61869216
Is the vanguard of jazz really going up and down pentatonic scales with barely any group interplay and cheesy smooth jazz tier production?
Go listen to Chris Potter or Rudresh Manthappa.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.