[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it. Someone please explain to me the appeal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: loveless.jpg (114 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
loveless.jpg
114 KB, 600x600
I don't get it. Someone please explain to me the appeal of shoegaze, dreampop, noise, and all these other genres of music that just have layers upon layers of shit on top of the actual music. I feel like I'm missing something because I just don't like it.
>>
>>61842648
seconding that
>>
to me the appeal is that it's dreamy and sensual while also being a bit abrasive. the two work well together imo,
the guitar sounds are fucking amazingly crafted.
>>
Cuz it's not shit it's different sounds put on top of each other to create a wall of sound? That way there's auite a bit to digest at once due to how much is going on, making the music interesting and the atmosphere that develops as a result/the lyrics contribute to the emotional aspect.

You tend to usually have music that either has a lot of musical nuances to make the songwriting itself interesting while kinda not being that emotional (most progressive rock, certain pieces of art music). There also tends to be music brimming with emotion but tends to be simplistic on the musical side (singer songwriter type folk, ITAOTS, The Pixies.)

But then you got the greatest stuff that has both a lot of musical nuance and emotion. This is where Bach's Mass In B Minor belongs. This is where Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom belongs. This is where My Bloody Valentine's Loveless belongs, too.

As for the other stuff in shoegaze/dream pop where there isn't always layers and layers of stuff, it's about the atmosphere more than anything. It gives that typical indie rock atmosphere more of a "damn this is beautiful I want to be lost in this" instead of the usual "I am a wimpy talentless hipster fuck but see that's so charming!" bullshit.
>>
>>61843191
This guy pretty much gets it.

But just in case, OP, I'll spell it out for you:
Not everyone likes everything. If you don't like it, you just don't. There's rarely anything to "get" here, and it's not our job, or anyone else's but yours if you so choose, to make you like it.
>>
it sounds like you are drowning in sound
>>
It's really a mood thing. That album especially. Not really an everyday listen.
>>
>>61842648
it's not meant for your generation to "get"... if you were alive and of a certain age at the time this music was released, it spoke to you and probably still speaks to you. if not, the best you could hope for is to try to appreciate it like you would appreciate a painting in a museum... in the same way, people of my generation cant hope to fully understand and appreciate artists who define today's generation such as... hmmm... i dont knoww... demi lovato maybe.. or that ed whathisname guy - the ginger
>>
>>61842648
>layers upon layers of shit on top of the actual music
Your pleb is showing
>>
>>61842648
do you have decent speakers/headphones? that's a big part>>61842648
>>
listen to it louder
>>
>>61844859
your age has nothing to do with it

plenty of people are fans of mbv who were born after 1991
>>
sleep deprivation helps

actually tho i first started liking shoegaze after playing Spacemen 3 - TDTMMTDT (ok I realize this isn't 100% shoegaze) at full volume in my car driving home from Cafe Brazil at 5 in the morning after writing a term paper
>>
>>61845038
Spacemen 3 is the best sleep deprivation band ever, listening to The Perfect Prescription while on a cold October walk at about 2 am is the greatest musical experience I've ever had
>>
>>61843191
Nailed it.
>>
listen to it louder you idiots
>>
>>61844859
is this post a joke
>>
>>61842648
>"the actual music"
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.