[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so amazing /mu/? And why haven't I met a girl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 71nFZNXN5ML._SL1300_.jpg (248 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
71nFZNXN5ML._SL1300_.jpg
248 KB, 1300x1300
Why is it so amazing /mu/? And why haven't I met a girl I can smoke with this too?
>>
This is why people hate beach boys fans.
>>
teenagers think Pet Sounds is some kind of experimental emotional masterpiece when really it's just The Beatles 2 Faggotronic Boogaloo

I'm 28 years old, I'm probably older than the majority of people on /mu/. I've studied music theory in college for five years. I play more than five instruments including guitar and violin. I'm part if a rock duo and I perform monthly at various places. We've been working on an album since 2014. I think I know what I'm talking about.

To all you Pet Sounds fags, how much music theory do you know? What instruments do you play? I'm guessing none.
>>
>>61841829
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
Imagine being Mike Love in the Pet Sounds recording sessions and having to be all like "damn, Brian, you fuckin' brilliant, all profound with your pretentious songwriting and horrific cringe-worthy lyrics. I would totally jam this track out with you, both in the studio and in a live show" when all he really wants to do is compose surf rock about babes in your home. Like seriously imagine having to be Mike and not only sit in that chair while Brian sings his disgusting druggy lyrics in front of you, the favorable production barely concealing his high pitch whiny voice, and just sit there, take after take, hour after hour, while he perfected that song. Not only having to tolerate his fat, boy-like visage but his shy attitude as visitors in the studio tells him he's THE MOST TALENTED SONGWRITER OF ALL TIME and DAMN, BRIAN WILSON WRITES LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch his beady fucking aspie face belt out shitty lyrics you didn't even know could be put on paper before that day. You've been creating nothing but a healthy string of surf pop hits with your bandmates and later legal defendant for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the suburbs in Inglewood. You've never even heard anything this fucking artsy fartsy before, and now you swear you can see the sweat that's breaking out on his punchable autistic face as he begins to spew out another verse, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and work with his "provocative (for that is what he calls the song)" masterpiece, the masterpiece he worked so hard for with Wrecking Crew in the previous months. And then the manager calls for another take, and you know you could out-sue every single person in this room before your lawyers could ask for a pay raise, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking Mike Love. You're not going to lose your continuing musical career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.
>>
>>61841956

holy shit
>>
>>61841829
yeah, you're way hotter than Brian Wilson was in his prime, man. I super believe in you
>>
>>61841997
fuck off Brian
>>
>>61841829
Berating a piece of music because its not a complex masterpiece is totally missing the point. Sometimes music can just be lighthearted and simple but be just as effective. Pet Sounds is good in it owns respect; using simple melody and harmonies, combined with a dense mix of orchestral and rock instrumentation to evoke a sense of nostalgia and teenage whimsy. Of course this album wouldn't match to anything Bach ever wrote in terms of musical complexity, but it doesn't have to. I'm a multi instrumentalist and I'm a music composition major. I've seen my pieces being played to thousands of people. But none of that matters to whether or not this album is good or not.

Tldr; let the stoned teenager enjoy his pop music
>>
>>61841956
Am i suppose to feel sorry for this pleb?
>>
>>61841874
chris?
>>
>>61841829
>>61841874
>>61841956
well-meme'd
>>
>>61842094
You took the b8, m8
>>
File: brian.jpg (32 KB, 597x338) Image search: [Google]
brian.jpg
32 KB, 597x338
How about you read the multiple essays on why its so good
seriously every music observatory has serious respect for Pet Sounds
>>
>>61841209
>why haven't I met a girl I can smoke with this too?

Because you're looking for girls under 50. Go to some milf bar and hook up with an old divorced crackhead and she'll love them.
>>
>>61841874
scaruffi please.
>>
>>61841829
We've been working on an album since 2014. I think I know what I'm talking about.

DESU SENPAI
>>
were they faggots?
>>
>>61841209
>I can smoke with this too
DUDE GRAMMAR LMAO
>>
File: 1443640819711.jpg (50 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1443640819711.jpg
50 KB, 600x800
>>61841956
top-tier pasta
>>
>>61841829
I've played music for more than ten years and studied music theory and composition and recording in school and the beach boys are my favorite band but my favorite album by them is not pet sounds... friends, sunflower, adult/child all obsessions of mine and all the outtakes and unreleased stuff until about the 80s
>>
>>61841209
My heart belongs to rock music. I love the sound of the electric guitar. But while I'd prefer rock music to artful, melodic pop at any day, most pop music wasn't made by Brian Wilson.

Pet Sounds is neither the most sophisticated album ever made, nor the saddest, nor the happiest, nor the craziest, nor the wackiest, nor the most intelligent one, the most hard-hitting one, the most down-to-earth one, but it all doesn't matter because it's Pet Sounds. And there is only one Pet Sounds. It's the most Pet Sounds album. So what even is Pet Sounds? Pet Sounds isn't just an album, it's a philosophy of music. That all music is part of the vibrations of the universe. The album dig for it, and Brian Wilson proceeded to dig even deeper for the vibrations and went insane, as if it was prove that he was bullseye on the right track to musical perfection. He tied everything together on the album, a cosmic session for the coming-of age of a young artist, who only wanted to bring joy to all humans and was rewarded with pain.

I do not owe you anything when I proclaim Pet Sounds as the best album ever. You either believe me, or you don't. And what ultimately only matters is that people feel the same profound satisfaction from listening to it like I do, not that they accept my irrelevant opinion. I dream of a world in which all people band together, regardless of color, religious belief, philosophical opinions, nationality, diet, clothing, sexual preference, or favorite tv channel, or favorite album, that we will all band together and find the beauty in the music of Brian Wilson.
>>
>>61841209
This abomination is placed pretty highly on just about every album list I’ve ever seen. Usually in the top five, even. Nowadays, Pet Sounds has all the cultural relevance of a dog food commercial. It’s an elaborate symphony of merry, jingling pap, filled with goofy noises and men with extremely high voices. Hearing Brian Wilson and his band of brothers hit the notes in “Don’t Talk” is a truly emasculating experience. Seriously, it makes my nuts suck up into my body a little bit, like imagining Ernest Borgnine naked. I think the album is so highly rated for a few reasons: first of all, critics are fascinated by Brian Wilson because he is a loony idiot savant, and everybody knows that loony idiot savants make the best music. They refuse to admit that the album is merely a syrupy and overblown testament to one man’s meticulous studio habits. Even if Pet Sounds has the most elaborate production on Earth, that still just makes it rock and roll’s most highly-polished turd.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.