[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do music if you're shit at it? Even if you improve,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: 1443851022131.png (61 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1443851022131.png
61 KB, 500x375
Why do music if you're shit at it? Even if you improve, you know deep down that you will never be famous or impactful in the music world. Why not find another interest you're better at and do that instead? It will be less fun, but there's a higher chance you will be remembered in some way and not just die another no name human that no one loves.
>>
>>61834203
well being remembered probably wouldnt mean much to me if im fucking dead
>>
>>61834203
Music is just fun to make, who cares if you "impact the world", just have fun doing it
>>
File: 1449367234857.png (119 KB, 635x493) Image search: [Google]
1449367234857.png
119 KB, 635x493
>>61834203
/mu/ - pre-emptive criticism
>>
>consciencly wasting your life so people can appreciate you when you're dead
>>
File: image.jpg (117 KB, 734x715) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117 KB, 734x715
pussy, no good musician has had a bountiful career and not felt extremely doubtful about their chances to succeed and if they belong. Let that fuel your work ethic and stop being a little bitch. What else are you going to do with your free time? Fap? Vidya? Go ahead, keep playing yourself. One day, you'll regret it.
>>
it's fun
it's satisfying when an idea you have works well
it's a good way to release stress
it's a nice way to spend time with friends
>>
File: 1448617875042.jpg (48 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1448617875042.jpg
48 KB, 640x640
victor wooten once told me "if you can't make good music, just make crap music!" and i've lived to that advice for 10 years evident in 10 years worth of crap songs. but hey i love to write stuff
>>
>>61834203
What if you suck at everything, but you like music most? Untalented hacks have had good runs in the past, maybe if I try I can be a 2-3 album flash in the pan
>>
>>61834310
did yuo meet viccy wooten?
>>
playing an instrument is a fun activity

music is not a competition
>>
>>61834203
you seem to have a worldview that will ultimately make you very happy (not really lol)
>>
>>61834203
OP, maybe you are shit at music. That doesn't mean that we are.

>>61834239
This, most people don't make music for money or fame, but just for the music. And if you do actually do it for money or fame, you are dumb because it's probably not going to happen. Especially with that mindset.
>>
Writing/composing songs feels really good. Though I rarely do it these days because depression, drugs and other important things take so much of my time now.
>>
>>61836837
nows the best time to write. try and find the time and channel that depression my negro
>>
>>61834252
Under---rated---post
>>
>>61836928
Yeah I guess I should stop procrastinating and start doing shit again instead of compulsively browsing 4chan. Shit's addictive.
>>
>>61834203
because I really don't have motivation to do anything else really
>>
cathartic
>>
>>61836837
A lot of good music is rooted in depression buddy. Use your depression for something good, make your weakness your strength. Make your instrument your conduit for your feelings.

What instrument do you play?
>>
>>61837033
I play the guitar somewhat well and a bit of keyboard and harmonica.
>>
why would i value being remembered over having fun?
i'm a person not a fucking history book
>>
>>61837076
That's a good basis, do you have a band or something to play with? What music do you like?
>>
>>61837108
Yeah, I play in a punk rock band. Not really the kind of music that I want to play for the rest of my life but it's fun to do live shows with the guys. I listen to a lot of different music but among my favorites are Bowie (RIP), King Crimson and the Beatles.

I've made some psychedelic pop-folk-rock-dunno songs that I've played live with the guys from the punk band a few times and I'd like to form a proper band that does music in that style in the future.
>>
>>61837224
Sounds like you are doing pretty well already then. If that is what makes you happy, then I encourage you to keep going.
>>
Just shut the fuck up. Not everyone who makes music wants to impact the world or go big. Music started as a means of expression, and it has not changed in the slightest. It is an art.

I make music myself, and it's shit right now, but when I get better at it I'll know when I get better. Of course I'd love people to listen to it, but if they don't that's on them, not me. Fuck you.
>>
>implying the musicians that impacted the world don't work hard and have improved a fuckton form when they started

sounds like your trying to find reason to not do something. you know what the actualy difference between you and those guys is? they never thought of this and just worked hard at playing music.
>>
>>61834203
its fun desu senpai
>>
I definitely see where OP is coming from. I have friends who are 27-28 now and they've been in one band since they were 16, playing some of the same songs year after year at local bars, and they are still struggling to "make it" even though it seems extremely unlikely now. There WAS a very heavy element of delusion involved, partly caused by being daily stoners for much of that time (being high altered their perception of their sound, made them think magically rather than realistically about how to make it), but also just being misled by the many rags to riches stories they grew up on. One got married and had a child, in his words, "pulling a Cobain", apparently thinking that having a child in his mid-twenties would somehow get the fame gods' attention and catapult him to the top of the pops. Instead, he's just taken on more responsibilities and dragged his new family into the rather pathetic band situation. They have websites, they have a small fanbase from all over the world, but they've never played a really good show, never toured, etc. Nearing 30, they're really feeling the burn now. In their teens, they thought they'd be famous by 21.

Music can really crush your life's dreams if you set yourself up to dream such things and invest in it on every level - financially, emotionally, etc. It's good that some people here are saying "just do it for fun!" but let's not forget the strange psychological phenomenon that occurs when you do something like a band for a decade and just can't give up, like the force of your prior actions keep pushing you on. You can't just... "stop". If you try to, it's like going no-fap forever, when you gonna cave in and have one more band practice?

By the way, these guys have said things like "must be nice to be (so and so we used to know) who gave up music before it became an inescapable obsession". They wish they could get out of it but they can't.
>>
I think people who have bad taste in music shouldn't make music.
>>
>>61838357
Your friends are just losers desu

Also for most of human history music wasn't a means to fame or fortune, it was only something people did to pass the time and have fun. You couldn't listen to recordings so you had to make it yourself. In some places that's still the case. The obsession with fame is one of the worst things that's ever happened to the arts.
>>
>>61834203
>expects to impact the world
You're gonna die unhappy
>>
>>61838519
Happiness is just a temporary surge of dopamine in the brain, why should it be the ultimate goal of life?
>>
>>61838685
what else would be more important than being happy?
>>
>>61838685
Life is temporary too. Your edge is showing.
>>
>>61838456
Agreed but if we were living in the past, I could propose an even stronger argument for not bothering with music, which is that why put in so much time mastering an instrument if no one will ever hear it? Your life could be spent differently, yet you will spend a decade at least mastering your sitar and then only perform for a few people, playing ragas you didn't compose, and then die.

The modern phenomenon of fame gives a tantalizing illusion of permanence in an impermanent world, hence the appeal and the allure of it all. We are alive, we will die, we will be forgotten unless we attain a level of fame. The thought of being forgotten can be quite challenging to many people, so the drive to achieve fame is strong.

Kurt Cobain could've just been a janitor and OD'd one night before anyone knew of Nirvana. Instead he became a legend, a star, an icon, almost a saint.
>>
>>61838700
>>61838705
being comfortable is better than being happy.
>>
>>61834310
Victor Wooten, besides being a monster of a bass player, is also a really fucking cool and wise guy. Definitely one of the most intelligent and open musicians I've ever had the privilege of meeting
>>
>>61834203
>The goal of music is to be famous or impactful in the music world.
Top pleb
>>
>>61838685
I can't understand this reasoning. Just because you can reduce something to a physical process it doesn't make it less worthwhile. What is your ultimate goal, if not to be happy?
>>
>>61838700
>>61838705
Enlightenment. Not like I'm gonna achieve that, but it's the only meaningful goal I can think of.
>>
>>61838755
Apparently for him it's to be comfortable
>>
>>61834252
THIS
FUCK YOU, OP
>>
>>61834310
i would love to have victor wooten as my life coach
>>
>>61838756
Why?
>>
File: 8694539_800.jpg (92 KB, 800x555) Image search: [Google]
8694539_800.jpg
92 KB, 800x555
>>61834203
Because playing droning guitars through an orange full stack while 10 of pic related accompany you is a damn fine experience.
>>
half japanese couldnt play their instruments worth a damn, and it took them awhile to figure out what they were going to do, but they eventually made music that would become a young boys (me) favorite almost 40 years later
just an example of how technical proficiency =/= musical proficiency
>>
>>61838732
>why put in so much time mastering an instrument if no one will ever hear it?
For fun, of course. This isn't hard. Do you play any instruments?

>Your life could be spent differently
Honestly, if being noticed is what you strive for, any of the different ways you could spend your life in the ancient world would all be equally pointless unless you were a prince or something

I agree that fame offers the illusion of permanence, but striving for it is just setting yourself up for failure. Everyone I've ever met who made music because they liked the idea of being famous made really shit music, and was bitter that no one had taken notice of them.

If Nirvana made Bleach, broke up, and then Cobain worked dead-end jobs until he died young, would that have any bearing on the music? It would change the cultural perception of the album for sure, but culture is ephemeral. People care about Nirvana now, but I'd say it's highly unlikely anyone's gonna care in 150 years.
>>
>>61838756
Define "enlightenment"

>>61838774
Comfort is just sustained levels of dopamine in the brain desu
>>
>>61834239

/thread
>>
>>61838732
>which is that why put in so much time mastering an instrument if no one will ever hear it?
Why spend so much time shitposting on /mu/ if no one will ever remember you for it?
>>
>>61838820
It might be the depression doing tricks to me but I can't help thinking that nihilism is objectively true and everything is essentially meaningless, with things given illusory meaning by our brains. I don't mean it in the edgy way but enlightenment seems like the only "cure" to the pain that comes when you kind of still cling to your old way of thinking and can't accept the fact and still desperately seek for those dopamine rushes that always go away sooner than you'd think.

>>61838944
I mean it in the Buddhist sense.
>>
>>61838944
Ah yes, my mistake. Also, all experiences are just perceptions of my brain. Why bother experiencing things?
>>
>>61838834
what's your bands name senpai
>>
>>61838982
>I don't mean it in the edgy way but enlightenment seems like the only "cure" to the pain that comes when you kind of still cling to your old way of thinking and can't accept the fact and still desperately seek for those dopamine rushes that always go away sooner than you'd think.
Enlightenment to combat depression? Enlightenment is a form of happiness. You want it because it will make you happy.
>>
>>61838982
Enlightenment "in the Buddhist sense" isn't a will to annihilation. If you seek it just to spite the material world you're being dumb.

Talk to someone who is close to you about how you feel, you need love and support from a real person fampai
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.