[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't come to /mu/ often, but I like music. Whenever I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: cacophony.jpg (331 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cacophony.jpg
331 KB, 500x500
I don't come to /mu/ often, but I like music. Whenever I hear somebody claim that lyrics are the most important part of music, I immediately dismiss them as an asshole who doesn't actually like music. So, I'm curious about /mu/'s opinion on this...How important are lyrics to music?
>>
It depends.
>>
depends on the music

for sun kil moon I'd say they're critically important
>>
https://soundcloud.com/it-knows yes and no
>>
Depends on the genre.

Singer-songwriter/country/folk? Then yeah, the lyrics are pretty important.

Prog? Probably not. Unless it's Pink Floyd.
>>
I can't usually make out the lyrics without reading them at the same time unless it's really clearly sung. I like it when vocals are used more as another "instrument" than as a message.
>>
>>61808349
Or Van der Graaf Generator.
I tried to come up with another band but, wow, that's all I got.
>>
How readable are the lyrics? Can you understand what they're saying first listen (as in sound not meaning) if you can... then they're important.
>>
Its why I don't relate to my friends who are into pop punk

it seems like they really connect to lyrics and thats what they get from it.

But for me unless you a fucking poet like Dylan or something then I don't care too much about lyrics. They should serve the music not the other way around
>>
>>61808083
I only care about lyrics if they're 10/10 or 0/10.
>>
>>61808083
That's a reasonable reaction, it usually just means they don't listen to much outside of garden-variety pop/rock stuff.

Lyrics can be a really important part of music (e.g. Bob Dylan wouldn't make any sense without the lyrics), but it totally depends on the style.
>>
>>61808083
I'd vehemently disagree that they're the most important for sure, but they can definitely make or break an album. It also depends greatly on the type of music in question. If you're doing a really stripped down, folky, singer-songwriter king of thing, and your lyrics suck; you're up shit creek without a paddle,
>>
I don't mind lyrics unless they're really cringy. I can't work with cringy lyrics.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.