[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why'd you talk about the same small limited amount of music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1452991621926.png (32 KB, 936x906) Image search: [Google]
1452991621926.png
32 KB, 936x906
Why'd you talk about the same small limited amount of music every single day?
>>
Any time I try to make a thread about something not often talked about it gets no replies.
>>
>>61807255
It seems kind of stupid to say that the majority of music in the world isn't obscure
>>61808128
This is the real answer though, its obvious that things that are more popular on /mu/ will get more people posting in threads, your question is pretty self-explanatory
>>
File: a chart.png (21 KB, 1001x863) Image search: [Google]
a chart.png
21 KB, 1001x863
>>61807255
Had to make a better chart

>>61808128 brings up the best explanation; even though this is a "general music" board, the kind of music we actually tend to discuss is whatever young, white english speakers in the west listen to
>>
>>61808128
>>61808149
>>61808338
Because 99% of /mu/ get all there music from p4k, fantano and incestual chart/rec threads.
>>
the world of music according to /mu/
>000's years of classical all sounds the same, boring
>jazz started in the 50s, finished by the 70s, then The Epic
>80 years of funk, soul and r&b has 8 albums plus Frank Ocean
>centuries of world music is Exuma, Feta Kuti, Bob Marley and Talking Heads
>electronic music is 8 EDM DJs and 4 IDM artists
>hip hop is the pinnacle of modern artistic expressiveness and too varied to comprehend
>pop/rock is the most expansive, creative, ecelectic, patrician and progressive music ever
>noise isn't even music
>3 chord and EDM loop pop with female vocal singer is the future
>>
>>61808587
Obviously this board is more interested in discussing pop/rock if you want to categorize it like that, but it's not like classical and jazz aren't sometimes talked about. If people who like those genres would be less abrasive and accept that some people just don't want to listen to them then I think people would be more interested in trying to listen to some of it.

But even with pop/rock (which includes hip hop and electronic music genres) /mu/ only talks about a small portion of it.
>>
>>61808618
>which includes hip hop and electronic music genres

No, they're rhythm and blues genres mostly which existed alongside pop/rock.

Hip hop came from Jamaican music which came from local traditional mento and American R&B/jazz.

''Electronic music'' came from funk and disco mixed with early electronic pioneers compositional methodology.
>>
>>61808767
Also if people who espoused classical and jazz would come up with a consistent way of categorizing stuff that might help too. What happened to that pop/art/folk thing people always bring up.
>>
>>61808813
Jazz is pretty easy desu

>1910s
New Orleans jazz began, combining earlier brass band marches, French quadrilles, biguine, ragtime and blues with collective polyphonic improvisation.

>1930s
swing big bands, Kansas City jazz, a hard-swinging, bluesy, improvisational style and Gypsy jazz (a style that emphasized musette waltzes) were the prominent styles

>1940s
Bebop emerged, shifting jazz from danceable popular music towards a more challenging "musician's music" which was played at faster tempos and used more chord-based improvisation

>end of the 1940s
Cool jazz developed, introducing calmer, smoother sounds and long, linear melodic lines.

>1950s
The emergence of free jazz, which explored playing without regular meter, beat and formal structures

>mid-1950s
Hard bop, which introduced influences from rhythm and blues, gospel music, and blues, especially in the saxophone and piano playing.

>late 1950s
Modal jazz developed, using the mode, or musical scale, as the basis of musical structure and improvisation.

>late 1960s and early 1970s
Jazz-rock fusion appeared, combining jazz improvisation with rock rhythms, electric instruments and the highly amplified stage sound of rock.

>early 1980s,
Jazz fusion called smooth jazz became successful, garnering significant radio airplay.

Other styles and genres abound today, such as Latin jazz, Afro-Cuban jazz, nu jazz, acid jazz and future jazz blending jazz stylings with electronic producition methods.
>>
>>61808813
I don't know if there is a common, agreed upon organisation method for art music, I use

Vocal
Ballet and opera
Orchestral
Chamber
Solo
Contemporary
>>
>>61808587
This is pretty spot on.
>>
File: ok hand.png (94 KB, 760x807) Image search: [Google]
ok hand.png
94 KB, 760x807
>>61808587
>>
>>61809426
No post-bop?
>>
>>61809426
good summary
>>
I think that most people actually have varied enough taste, or at least have listened to a lot of music. It's never been easier to access more music than you could ever have time to listen to.

>>61808363
And you're among the enlightened 1%? Guess what — more than 1% of /mu/ posters thinks they are too.

>>61807255
Now this chart is 100% bullshit.
>>
>>61809426
>The emergence of free jazz
>1950s
You are wrong, and I wonder if you made it on purpose.
>>
>>61812948
>I think that most people actually have varied enough taste, or at least have listened to a lot of music.
lol

>>61813062
>Free jazz is an approach to jazz music that was first developed in the 1950s and 1960s. Though the music of free jazz composers varied widely, a common feature was dissatisfaction with the limitations of bebop, hard bop, and modal jazz that had developed in the 1940s and 1950s.
>>
>>61813163
Do you not know the first Free Jazz album was recorded in 1960 and relased in 1961?
And you put it before the mid 50s.
>>
>>61813163
>>I think that most people actually have varied enough taste, or at least have listened to a lot of music.
>lol
No really, I think we do. How much music do you have on your computer? How many genres are covered?

The average person has fewer than ten thousand individual tracks in their library — just look it up, one source says 3000, another 7000, and given how they're collected (stats collected by music apps) they're probably above the actual averages.

And although "all the music in the world" amounts to way more than any person could listen to in terms of time, a lot of it is similar. A lot of it is good too. But if you're curious enough, you can easily get a passable overview of all major music genres in your library.
>>
>>61813452
The majority of /mu/ have 95% rock and subgenres (having numerous names for rock doesn't make your library eclectic, just autistic), hip hop, pop and a few jazz/r&b albums because Fantano gave them a high score.

The catalog shows this 24/7.
>>
>>61809426
80s jazz is basically buttjazz
>>
>>61813492
The catalog only shows the lowest common denominators. Look at sharethreads and more specialized threads — there's plenty of variety. >>61808128 is right: we won't start a thread about a little-known album because it would get no replies. It doesn't mean we don't know about obscure albums.

There are 3500+ releases in my library. I must have posted, I don't know, maybe 0.01% of those as OP once.
>>
>>61813492
>having numerous names for rock doesn't make your library eclectic
nobody who categorizes shit down to the microgenre actually thinks that. its so albums are grouped with other albums that share the same characteristics
>>
>>61813829
>nobody who categorizes shit down to the microgenre actually thinks that.

le mao
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.