[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain to me why the Pixies aren't your favorite band.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: 13_pixies.jpg (33 KB, 460x371) Image search: [Google]
13_pixies.jpg
33 KB, 460x371
Explain to me why the Pixies aren't your favorite band. I'm not judging you. I'm sure you're a decent enough human bean. Just tell me who your favorite band is and why it's not the Pixies
>>
Surfer Rosa > Doolittle > Trompe > Bossanova
>>
Swans cuz they released more good records and SFTB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>
because rock is garbage
>>
it's depeche mode
i'm sorry it's not the pixies it should be the pixies but it's actually depeche mode ;_;
>>
>>61805217
each pixies album has like 3-4 good songs, even those are simplistic and repetitive
>>
King Crimson
and because King Crimson opened me up to music while remaining as good as every great band I've discovered since them
>>
>>61805276
>Different structures than any band before them

>Unique lyrics, sound and atmosphere

Anon calls them simplistic and repetitive.
What does it take to please you anon?
>>
Talking Heads
Same principle as >>61805313
>>
>>61805272
>>
>>61805411
The lyrics aren't special at all and what kind of atmosphere are you talking about? honestly, pixies doesn't strike me as a very atmospheric band
>>
>>61805411
>different structures
what

>unique lyrics
try-hard grimdark imagery is at least fully committed to by metal bands who add some theatricality to it instead of just being morbid, and they're objectively repetitive - sprinkle in some Spanish and opaque references to the mid-20th century (art, war, etc.), tip fedora, repeat

>unique sound and atmosphere
not really. i mean, yes, in rock music, where the most minor of variation is taken by later artists and repeated ad nauseum to create the illusion of genre diversification and the common listener is a complete idiot with no grasp of how variation actually works, sure, but in the grand scheme of things, Pixies' "atmospheres" are retroactively labeled revolutionary and unique because a famous man who sold a lot of records called them his influence. you can make up other reasons, but you're wrong.
>>
>>61805217
>human bean
lol wtf op
>>
>>61805217
They are.
>doolittle >pilgrim=surfer>bossanova >trompe
>>
I don't listen to one hit wonders
>>
>>61805592
You're just splittin hairs my friend. If you take the package as it comes there is nothing like it
>>
>>61805635
Kill yourself please
>>
The Velvet Underground

Because they combined artistic themes with music in such a cohesive way (for 3 albums) that I find it difficult to rate another band/artist higher than them. They had pop sensibility, compelling lyrics, and legitimate musical experimentation, and all of it felt really genuine.

The Pixies are great too though.
>>
>>61805618
I would switch bossanova and trompe but other than that I pretty much agree. Doolittle, Come On Pilgrim, and Surfer Rosa are almost tied for first in my opinion. Doolittle is the best by an edge though
>>
>>61805718
I can see that. They were the origional origionals. The pixies are basically just the modern equivalents of that. And I happen to prefer the Pixies
>>
>>61805643
>please name qualities that make this band good
>heres some qualities
>i disagree with those qualities
>well actually assessing my argument is just splitting hairs
>>
>>61805718
Loo Reed did too many drugs so I don't like them.
>>
>>61805774
I only wish that the Pixies had deviated a little more from traditional rock song structures. I'd love to see what an 8 minute song from them would sound like. But they definitely did some amazing things within those boundaries.
>>
File: furry reflects on existence.jpg (61 KB, 662x464) Image search: [Google]
furry reflects on existence.jpg
61 KB, 662x464
>>61805774
>be The Velvet Underground
>incorporate a definitive harder-edged style of attitude into your music before anyone else
>incorporate elements of the high avant-garde, the pop art world you've become a part of, and the primordial ooze of American rock music in all its variety without regards for current fashion and convention
>inspire literally every genius in rock music history to some extent (not many geniuses in rock music, but the ones who exist followed TVU's lead, and many others who might have never bothered with the genre likely entered it thanks in part to TVU's example)
>get compared to a power pop band in terms of influence and originality because people on a Guatemalan corn shucking forum can't admit they like things for subjective reasons and have to pretend that the things they like are influential instead of acknowledging your objective prime role in the rock history hierarchy
>>
>>61805217
I saw them live, with the original line-up, on their Doolittle tour. For the encore they played Gigantic, Where is My Mind, and Break My Body. Best concert.
>>
>>61805813
That's not what Im trying to say. I can appreciate what you're saying, Im just saying that when you put all the elements together it's hard to find a band as origional and unique as the Pixies...I mean honestly I feel like if you guys looked at the era they came from and how no one else sounded like them you'd see what Im saying. It's just now they're easy to hate on because they've reached cult/indie status
>>
>the Pixies
uuuugh

but yeah they are my favorite band
Surfer Rosa > Doolittle > Trompe Le Monde = Bossanova
>>
>>61805929
Op here
They are also one of the best live bands ever
(I've only seen videos of their live performances but their brilliance shines through)
>>
>>61805228
>>61806001
What do you think about Come On Pilgrim
>>
>>61805217
They were my favorite band in grade 9 and 10 but now I like Built to Spill more
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.