[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homework Assignment: Explain exactly why dream theater is a terrible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Dream Theater.jpg (122 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Dream Theater.jpg
122 KB, 500x500
Homework Assignment: Explain exactly why dream theater is a terrible band in thirty words or more. Turn in answers to this thread.
>>
They're not.
>>
eat my cock
>>
Because they wasted their talents on making pretentious wankery that they claim to be deep but is in fact Hopsin-level lyricism and riffs for the sake of having riffs instead of actually making something interesting or new
>>
>>61803228
they put technical ability over creativity
>>
>>61803228
ill do better and give you one word:

reddit
>>
Realistically /mu/fags just don't like them because they think technical proficiency is overrated and they'd rather a femboy indiechampion doesn't sing every note right and can't play guitar that well at all because it's "more genuine" and "emotional" when really they just want an excuse to be held to a lower standard in their musical ability. Dream Theater haters are usually tremendous boners.
>>
Dream Theater is prog without any sense of fun that band like Genesis and Gentle Giant, the songwriting of bands like Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree, nor the creativity that bands like Can and King Crimson. It's more like technical exhibitionism that quickly gets dull once you realize that it's a front to hide just how ordinary and uninspired the underlying music truly is. Dream Theater may be technically skilled, but the idea of self-restraint and self-reflection seem to be concepts that are taboo to this band. And it's this fact that makes Dream skilled, yet so, amateur
>>
>>61803425
I really hate the high school clique bullshit that teenagers on 4chan perpetuate when reddit is mentioned. Both sites have pros and cons, who fucking cares.
>>
This song sums up what happened to dream theater

https://youtu.be/e1s1BPYS3DM
>>
>>61803485
That doesn't make them bad. That means you don't like that style. I've played guitar for 10 years and sometimes I just wanna hear a metal band play difficult shit.
>>
have you guys ever listened to liquid tension experiment its so fucking bad

dt is good on lots of albums
>>
>>61803443
>this is what DT fans actually believe
>>
>>61803552
I'm not a DT fan. I haven't listened to a lot of their stuff but what I have heard is definitely better than a lot of the sad shit that gets circlejerked here.
>>
>>61803228
They're described as "progressive" metal despite the fact that they do very little to advance or broaden their genre. I'd prefer to call them "technical power metal" or something. I actually like a fair amount of their stuff, but too much of it just feels rote and soulless.

They've inspired a million knockoff bands, and it's easier to hate Dream Theater's influence than it is to hate Dream Theater itself, IMO.
>>
>>61803611
That's a fair and rational assessment
>>
>>61803524
Going with your framework, Dream Theater aren't "good" either. Just how you can say "They're not bad. You just don't like their style," I can say "They're not good. You just like their style".

Difficult is a neutral trait. you might have a certain preference to difficult music, however, the term difficult in itself doesn't really say anything other than that it's difficult. it's not necessarily good or bad. It only becomes good or bad when taken with how they execute that difficulty and IMO, Dream Theater don't do it well. I can appreciate their music as technical marvels, but the overall listening experience is monotonous, especially in context with other prog and metal bands who manage to execute a similar amount of technical skill in more interesting and effective ways.
>>
>>61803611
this is pretty much what I was going to say but more articulated
>>
>>61803591
Well I have a strong dislike for both emo shit and dt. Both of them feel fake to me, just in different ways.
>>
I really like A Change of Seasons. I think like most bands they had a few cool ideas and the rest was largely to make money and live the band life.
>>
>>61803228
They used to be decent but became a parody of themselves
>>
>>61803443
nice of you to write that out inbetween sweating like a whore in church because you fucked up painting your latest warhammer figurines
>>
DT is a case of the whole being far less than the sum of its parts. Each band member's skill is undeniable, but their individual skills don't combine well in the context of the band.
>>
Why would I listen to Liquid tension experiment with terrible vocals when I could listen to them without it :^)
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.