[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk about The National. I think they're a great
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (579 KB, 919x698) Image search: [Google]
image.png
579 KB, 919x698
Let's talk about The National.

I think they're a great band. Yet, they seem to catch a lot of flak on here. Fantanto despises them, but p4k loves them, so I imagine that's partially why this board is divided by them.

I find their music immensely relatable and brilliant. Anybody care to share their thoughts?
>>
>>61799640
Alligator showed real promise, the rest is the dullest shit ever
>>
>>61799640
Just listened to two of their albums in full yesterday.
>>
>>61799640
I'd never seen anything on them besides their RYM scores. I listened to Boxer and the shit was incredibly boring. The instrumentals are so understated that I often forgot they were there, and while this stylistic choice would be great if they had a good vocalist, it doesn't work because he fucking sucks.

The man soiunds fucking drunk on every song he sings, it's like a shitty Leonard Cohen impression at a karaoke bar.

It's one of those albums that epitomizes everything bad about indie rock, pretentious lyrics, lifeless songs, and a general melancholy that isn't really justified. I fucking hated it all on my own, thanks.
>>
>>61799813
Whoa, no need to be so angry friend. Just wanted to hear why you didn't like it.
>>
It's not the kind of band I can binge, but I'll listen to one of their albums every now and again and I'll never regret it.
The music puts me at ease.
>>
>>61799885
Yeah sorry, thinking about Boxer just pisses me off is all. I tried really hard to like that one.
>>
>>61799960
Fair enough. Have you ever listened to Alligator? I think the tracks Secret Meeting, Looking For Astronauts, All The Wine, and Mr. November (especially this) are anything but dull, but I can understand not liking the vox.
>>
>>61799960
>>61799993
Forgot about Abel too. Those tracks are high-energy as hell.
>>
The sort of understated mellow dreariness is something characteristic to the the whole thing they're going for I think. I don't mind that the instrumentals are pushed to the background, because for me they're a lyrics and vocals band. And I usually hate that sort of thing which goes to show how flawlessly the execute it.

Their sound really epitomizes the only-half-justifiable melancholy that comes with being a young awkward middle class 20-something white dude, which is probably why some people on here like them. Myself included. High Violet is in my top 10 of all time.
>>
one of the best bands of the last 20 years. boxer and high violet are absolute gold and alligator and TWFM arent too far behind. horrible opinions ITT
>>
>>61799640
I love them. I can understand why they're too slow and dreary for some people, but it's perfect when I'm feeling, well, slow and dreary. And maybe drunk too.

In fact, it's great music to listen to when it's just you, a bottle or two of wine, and ghosts in your head.
>>
>>61799640
About Today is a great song
>>
love 'em. alligator is superb, high violet and boxer are also really good.
>>
>>61799993
>>61800034
I'll give it a shot.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.