[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY IS THIS MU-CORE?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 9
File: pcnoH4Z.jpg (243 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
pcnoH4Z.jpg
243 KB, 1000x1000
How is this considered mu-core?
I do not find anything good in this album. I honestly think it sounds like something that an H&M store would play. Can anyone explain why this is now considered mu-core
>>
u never been to london ave u
>>
>>61797950
u shouldn't find anything good about it. It's overpraised and edgy nonsense w/ no creative merit.
>>
>>61797950

Sorry you have no taste anon. It's a 10/10 perfect album and if you disagree then all of the following must be true:

>has never ridden a night bus home
>has never been to a mcdonald's after midnight
>has never left a club early and sat outside on the pavement trying to work out what song is playing and whether it's worth going back in or just going home
>has never been to south london
>>
1. you are a pleb who doesn't like dance music
2. you are a pleb who has no empathy
>>
I couldn't find anything good about it, listening it to like once every few months since it came out

listened to it like two weeks ago and I find it quite good now
>>
>>61798518
Just listen to Endorphin until it all makes sense.
>>
it's not that great, I agree.
>>
>>61798162
tell me ur fav tracks lad
>>
raver is the best track btw
>>
>>61799380
all about etched headplate innit
>>
yeehaw parnder :^)
>>
It's probably my least favourite of the mucore. It's just boring as fuck and stripped down electronic music. People probably only like because they think it's "deep".
>>
>>61797950
>>61798214
>>61799671

LOOOOL do you guys listen to music on laptop speakers or something
>>
>>61797950
What fucking H&M store would play a depressing album like Untrue? That wouldn't motivate anyone to purchase anything.
>>
>>61799732
yeah, say what you want about his "technical" skills, but bevvy boy knows how to work a bass on his tracks - the resonance and low-end are always really nice and beefy.
>>
>>61797950
/mu/core doesn't mean good
>>
>>61799816
Who wouldn't want to buy clothes while listening to Homeless?
>>
>>61797950
>>61798214
>>61799671
Do you guys even have a decent audio system? A subwoofer? Something to properly play the low end?

If not, that's probably your problem, most electronic music and hip-hop seem boring and pointless with shitty speakers.
>>
>>61798162
i lived in london and think this album is pretty meh, i ain't listened to it in about a year though and I like bleep bloop more now
>>
File: 1443055336923.jpg (21 KB, 271x350) Image search: [Google]
1443055336923.jpg
21 KB, 271x350
>>
>>61797950
I don't know either. I love it and there's hardly anything else like it out there, but out of all the /mu/-core albums Untrue gets shit on the most, so I'm guessing /mu/ have just moved on from this album like they did with Hospice.
>>
>>61800004
try it again, tho desu i prefer his s/t by a slight margin
>>
>>61798443
>>has never ridden a night bus home
>>has never been to a mcdonald's after midnight
>>has never left a club early and sat outside on the pavement trying to work out what song is playing and whether it's worth going back in or just going home
>>has never been to south london

>tfw all of these are true
>tfw you think burial is 10/10
>>
post google play reviews of kids complaining that this isn't dubstep
>>
i suppose you don't usually go out at night (and go back home alone), or maybe you do but you're one those way too happy people.

>>61798443
this desu
>>
>>61800682
>or maybe you do but you're one those way too happy people.

fuck those people
>>
all these people who don't like untrue baka
>>
File: RDJ.jpg (150 KB, 1122x1118) Image search: [Google]
RDJ.jpg
150 KB, 1122x1118
>>61799732
TFW when someone plays music on shitty speakers then bitches about it not sounding good.

Burial is pretty much the only thing that comes close to this man.
>pic related
>>
File: 99f.gif (990 KB, 498x266) Image search: [Google]
99f.gif
990 KB, 498x266
Burial makes the best loner anthems.
Nothing feels quite as right to listen to when it's dark, you're alone, wandering amongst the other people of the night and you feel absolutely no connection to anyone or anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 640x960
people hate untrue because they think all the songs sound the same and then they get bored because they have low attention spans because they are dumb
>>
>>61801062
sounds about right.
plebian gold fish attention span will ruin so many good things in life.
>>
>>
>>61801512
lol is christgau high

i don't see how this would ever be considered trip-hop
>>
>>61801951
i don't see how most things catalogued trip-hop are trip-hop.
>>
>>61797950
>burial
you're about 8 years late to the party

sage
>>
bruce pardo lmaooooo
>>
>>61797950
This album was shit
>>
this album is a very personal experience.
at first I thought every song sounded the same, and I laughed at the vinyl cracks.
let it grow on you, or don't, and move on.

/mu/ is all about headphones, so >>61799997 has a point
>>
>>61801951
lol obviously in the context of a world where trip hop already existed, it wouldn't. he's saying that if if untrue came out during that time they would've lumped it together with the whole movement, which i see.
>>
>>61801062
>people hate untrue because they think all the songs sound the same and then they get bored because they have low attention spans because they are dumb
Never before have I seen a post so clearly written by a 12 year old.
>>
>>61804375
STFU up h8r
>>
>>61797950
burial is way better and only reddit will disagree
>>
>>61797950
laughably bad vocal samples

seriously what the fuck
>>
>>61805439
the samples are great. pure garage.
>>
>>61798443

All of this for me, except the London part. This album reminds me of the nights I'd grab a coffee at 3 AM, drink it with a smoke in a completely empty. It was freezing outside. I didn't want to go home to my shitty at-the-time gf. At the same time, I didn't want to talk to the stray tweakers that were wandering by occasionally. The moment I heard this album, I thought of those times. I've never heard anything else capture that feel.
>>
>>61804250
its still a dumb thing to say because back then it would have been classified as uk garage, not trip-hop. but what does christgau know about the uk dance scene lol
>>
>>61797950
>people like thing i don't like how can this be
>>
>>61797950
https://strawpoll.me/6562207/r
>>
Oops
>>61805858
https://strawpoll.me/6562207
>>
This is "dance" music? People dance to this?
>>
>>61805889
it's not SUPER dancey, but have you ever heard some of these tracks on a big system at a club? the bass on this thing definitely gets people moving, in my experience.
>>
I felt the same way when I heard it the first few times superficially. But after a while .... Its best listening on a city night walk with decent headphones. Its an album that has its own unique mood you cant get anywhere else. I don't think it's dubstep, really, One of the best of this century so far.
>>
>>61806098
>I don't think it's dubstep
eh, it's pretty much a dubstep/future garage hybrid (with a few ambient pieces thrown in)
>>
>>61806179
When I think of dubstep I think of bass wobbles and super processed beats /snares, like Taylor Swift Trouble. That's probably not how dubstep started but that's not much like Untrue is it.

Unrue is also great night driving.
>>
>>61797950
You know what fucking faggot? You make an album that is better than this, i will give you till the end of Jan. to produce it and if you dont then this stays /mu/ core forever

you fucking idiot
>>
>>61806252
yeah, you're thinking of brostep, the americanized version of dubstep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpV7radKuwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPe1eRLf1E8
>>
>>61806405
Thanks for posting. This stuff is like slow minimal jungle
>>
>>61805686
>a garage is where you keep trash bins
>pure garage
untrue confirmed for pure trash
>>
>>61797950
His EPs are better
>>
>>61797950
i listened to this album for the first time an hour ago
>>
>>61806908
what kind of sadist keeps his bins in a garage? keep that shit outside ybqh. also
>not liking uk garage
wew lad
>>
>>61806975
people fuck with your bins if you keep them outside bruh just keep them in ur garage and roll em out (in toronto we have mandatory official garbage bins that have wheels) when the trashman comes to pick up

also i don't know much if anything about uk garage i was just making a joke (because garage is one letter away from garbage)
untrue is an alright album but you definitely need to be in one of the situations listed by >>61798443 to properly enjoy it
>>
File: wew.gif (137 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
wew.gif
137 KB, 600x450
>>61797950
>>61798214
>>61799223
>>61799671
>>61799929
>>61800004
>>61802687
>>61805439
YOU get a wew! And YOU get a wew! EVERYONE GETS A WEW!!!
>>
>>61807088
people never fuck with my bins but i dunno, maybe it's a regional thing.

> but you definitely need to be in one of the situations listed by >>61798443 to properly enjoy it
not really. it's strange to me that it's known as a headphone album when imo it plays much better on speakers (save the ambient bits)
>>
>>61807273
>it's strange to me that it's known as a headphone album when imo it plays much better on speakers
probably because while it may sound better on speakers it can be enjoyed quite a bit as a sort of "soundtrack to your life" if it's the right day and you go certain places (i find it very enjoyable on grey days that are cold as fuck but it isn't snowing)
>>
>>61807353
oh yeah, for sure - i understand and agree. i just think the album stands on it's own merits and musicality, and while it may resonate more it certain situations (rainy weather, on a bus, etc.) i certainly don't think those are the only ways you can properly enjoy it.
>>
>>61797950
It's emotionally charged as fuck man I really love music with context like that. Not speaking on behalf of /mu/.
>>
his sound is pretty singular apart from the imitators that came after him.
>>
File: kindred-1.jpg (32 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
kindred-1.jpg
32 KB, 960x960
This is best work
>>
Untrue is the dream of every mutant. An album made with an audio editor. Not big musical knowledge, just love and passion
>>
>>61798443
This. Also perfectly captures an aesthetic as an album. Like all of the techniques are so distinctive it gives the album this vibe, this mood which is so unique. Reminds me a little bit of the bleak industrial landscape depicted in the film Stalker as well.
>>
>>61809138
Yeah I remember reading about how burial made his early tracks in Soundforge (I can relate, I made sound collages in Soundforge in the 90s using samples ripped from Microsoft Encarta). He'd arrange the drum samples until they resembled a fishbone and that was good enough for him.
>>
>>61797950
It might not be your taste, move on.
>>
>>61808900
http://www.last.fm/de/user/NatNat2007/library/artists

patrish with 6k burial scrobbles here and I agree with this
>>
>>61809372
Amazing. Thats why I love this album so much. The power of the talent and passion against the expensive mainstream productions.
>>
>>61805889
Archangel absolutely bangs on a club system
>>
>>61798443
Thanks for convincing me not to listen to it
>>
>>61809856
Honestly that fucking narrative of "You can only listen to it on a bus in London while it's rainy and foggy after a night alone in McDonald's!!!" has become such a stupid meme for this album

Just listen to it on decent speakers or headphones lmao. It's a great album on it's own despite what the feels posters say.
>>
>>61797950
I actually like the idea of burial but hate almost all the tracks on his albums. The whole formula and concept is generally good, but it always seems so underwhelming. I do like his four tet collab tracks though
>>
File: cover.png (221 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
221 KB, 340x340
What other garage albums/tracks would give me the feels?
>>
>>61799441
I'm from the US and I agree.
>>
I'm always surprised when I meet anyone outside London who likes this album. It is distinctly London, I can't imagine it translating into any other place's experiences.

>trw Jamie xx, Burial and Fourtet all went to the same school in South London
>>
>>61799382
lol confirmed pleb
>>
>>61798518
so you listened to it over 50-100 times until you liked it. Wow.
>>
Why London? Or south London?

Untrue reminds me of being alone.
>>
>>61810427
Volor Flex, the Burial tribute act
>>
>>61798214
this is actually true. there is better dubstep/garage but mu can only listen to albums.
>>
>>61811045
there are places that are very similar to london all over the place
>>
>/mu/core
>good
lamo
>>
>>61812262
You know anything similar to Burial's stuff, but better?
>>
>>61811045
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_School,_Putney
what the fuck how
>>
>>61811850

The foundation of all the rhythms and sounds come from genres formed and developed in the south London club and pirate radio scene, and then there's the "he's got a lot of love in him" sample, which is from an interview with some London hood rats mum.

It's funny that they (burial, Fourtet, xx) all went to a v prestigious school in London, especially all the fairly heavy musical links in their projects to Jamaican music. Putney one of the more affluent parts of the city. I know this as I live down the road and see the school fairly often. They are upper middle class kids, as are most the producers in that scene.
>>
>>61805750
There was no UK Garage in 1993 you retarded /bleep/tard.
>>
>>61801512
>>61801951
>>61804250
>>61805750
he means that the whole beat-driven, noir-ish, urban style with ghostly diva vocals is extremely trip-hop-like and that had it been released in the 90's, garage would have been associated with trip-hop due to untrue's similarities with the genre

+ there's adding to the fact that burial has sampled massive attack and collaborated with them, all in all christgau ain't too wrong here
>>
I FUCKING LOVE UK GARAGE

Burial, Jamie Eggs Eggs, Disclosure
>>
>Trip hop is a genre that originated in the early 1990s in the United Kingdom, especially Bristol. Deriving from later idioms of acid house,[3] the term was first used as a way to describe the more experimental variant of breakbeat emerging from the Bristol Sound scene, which contained influences of soul, funk and jazz.

>UK garage is a genre of music originating from the United Kingdom in the early 1990s. The genre usually features a distinctive syncopated 4/4 percussive rhythm with 'shuffling' hi-hats and beat-skipping kick drums. Garage tracks also commonly feature 'chopped up' and time-shifted or pitch-shifted vocal samples complementing the underlying rhythmic structure at a tempo usually around 130 BPM

Gee, I wonder which Burial is.
>>
>>61814147
>>61814147
>The genre usually features a distinctive syncopated 4/4 percussive rhythm with 'shuffling' hi-hats and beat-skipping kick drums. Garage tracks also commonly feature 'chopped up' and time-shifted or pitch-shifted vocal samples complementing the underlying rhythmic structure at a tempo usually around 130 BPM
That's simply not true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVEEb5jIkrM
>>
Untrue is literally the best album that's considered /mu/-core, anyone who thinks otherwise is either dumb or just doesn't like the genre, which is fucking fine, but just leave it the fuck alone if that's the case, how hard is it, jesus christ.
>>
>>61814147
you skipped over the part where both genres share an immense laidback dub influence

which is where all the dubstep/trip-hop parallels stem from
>>
Burial has a strong garage influence, but it's definitely not garage. Like metal has blues influences but could never be mistaken for blues. Listen to so solid crew and tell me that burial sounds the same.
>>
>>61814229
So does smooth jazz, indie rock, chamber music, early soul and traditional didgeridoo music from Australia, is Burial all of those too now?
>>
>>61814249
There are lots of differing sound artists within all genres.
>>
>>61814229
>where both genres share an immense laidback dub influence
Garage has no dub influences outside 2-step's obvious Jungle roots.
>>
>>61814249
listen to this garage tune and tell me it ain't burial before burial

https://youtu.be/VVycT8k0tjM?t=144

>>61814265
come back when the genres you listed have clear dance/hip-hop-esque rhythms and then we'll talk
>>
>>61814280
well, yeah

granted I was referring about dubstep with my post, not ukg as a whole.
>>
Any recs on dub-influenced chamber music and traditional didgeridoo music from Australia that despite predating dub production, still contains dub influence?
>>61814265
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.