[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dadrock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: dadrock-2.jpg (42 KB, 290x166) Image search: [Google]
dadrock-2.jpg
42 KB, 290x166
Question for /mu/: why do you hate "dadrock"? Is it just because millions of other people enjoy it and you can't like it because NORMIES REEE?

Can you not understand why so many people enjoy fun, catchy, soul-enriching music that has endeared for generations?

Listening to Neutral Milk Hotel or post-avant garde jazz polka screamo doesn't make you "patrician", it makes you a contrarian.
>>
File: sunglasses.gif (197 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sunglasses.gif
197 KB, 500x500
no one thinks neutral milk hotel is patrician, gramps.
>>
>>61794403
i'll be the first motherfucker to admit I jizz to the sound of most dadrock acts but this thread is still pretty stupid

there's no point in addressing /mu/ as if it were a single entity with coherent opinions and whatnot, man
>>
i don't remember, but i think i saw a relevant post somewhere about something else that if alot of people like it it clearly caters to the lowest common denominator since so many people like it

cant say i dont like dadrock though, anyone who says they do is either lying or they're probably really aspie
>>
Dadrock sucks because it's either garbage (read everything that's not prog rock) or watered down jazz fusion (prog rock).
>>
"listening" to anything does not make you a contrarian, and the fact that you imply that makes it seem as if you think that no one could like a lot of music genuinely. In answer to your first question, some people definitely only hate dad rock because it's popular, but a lot of people don't like it genuinely because it does not appeal to them. Often the lyrics are banal, the songs are same-y, and the instrumentation is uninteresting. Also there seems to be a general culture around dad rock of liking albums/bands because they are well regarded, which is obnoxious and off putting.
>>
File: saturday-104.gif (8 KB, 350x397) Image search: [Google]
saturday-104.gif
8 KB, 350x397
>>
I don't necessarily dislike it but pretty much the only thing on the radio here is classic rock stations so I grew up listening to almost nothing but that so I'm sick of listening to most of the most played bands. Also a lot of people have it in their head that generic classic rock is the only worthwhile music so that's part of it too.
>>
>>61794403
i love "dadrock" and NMH though
>>
>>61794736
The "classic rock" radio format became atrocious over the years. The companies who own those stations have basically narrowed it down to a very strict list of 500 or so songs, about 150 of which get "saturation" airplay.

So all the other album cuts, minor hits, or noncharting singles are completely ignored, along with MOST of the bands from that time. It's just the same rotation playing again and again into eternity.
>>
I'm pretty sure only a very few people here legitimately hate dadrock, and they're autistic and/or underage single genre evangelists.

It's fun fun to insult, and works as a convenient dismissive term like 'entry level' but pretty much anyone, you get a few drinks in them when they're out partying and Bon Jovi or AC/DC comes on, you're gonna have a good time cheesing it up and singing and dancing to it.

Ripping on it isn't exactly contrarian necessarily, either - it's just that its so pervasive that why bother remarking on it, it's almost like other genres exist in contrast to it, because it's the bland base level standard. (at least in middle america)

Also the term dadrock is great - it really is rock thats just like your dad - maybe he was a legit bad ass in his day but now he's just old and tired and safe and nostalgic. Doesn't mean he's still not cool in his way, though
>>
>>61794403
We actually enjoy dad rock. Just the hiphopheads tell you otherwise
>>
File: pepe.gif (18 KB, 400x321) Image search: [Google]
pepe.gif
18 KB, 400x321
>>61795024
I-I never knew my dad
>>
>>61795082
wherever he is, he's proud of you anon.

He just wishes you played more sports instead wasting time on Lebanese birdwatching forums, and listened to more real music like Bachman Turner Overdrive
>>
>>61794403
>post-avant garde jazz polka screamo
that sounds interesting
>>
I'm always confused by what is and isn't counted as dadrock on /mu/. Everyone says that whatever Rolling Stone, NME, etc jizzes to is dadrock yet everyone says Dylan doesn't count as dadrock when he's somehow mentioned almost in every issue of their magazines.
>>
File: solistenup.jpg (30 KB, 555x644) Image search: [Google]
solistenup.jpg
30 KB, 555x644
>>61794403
it's because you can't get hipster brownie points for listening to led zeppelin. dad rock isn't cool to show off on your last.fm page and in 3x3 threads
>>
>>61795768
I think "dadrock" was aimed more at the blue-collar mass-market. Usually rock-oriented with arena/anthemic qualities.

So, for example, Badfinger is dad rock while Big Star isn't really. Boston is classic dad rock while Steely Dan isn't quite.
>>
File: 1409527435724.jpg (78 KB, 444x449) Image search: [Google]
1409527435724.jpg
78 KB, 444x449
>>61795024
Its not even that dadrock is an objectively bad genre. The artists contained within it (im talking classic rock acts, not Nickelback) are just way to over saturated.

The radio stations here in Florida play Bohemian Rhapsody 3 times a day on every rock station I shit you not.

Another harsh reality is rock is fucking dead.
That's why a Beatles song is on the Billboard top rock chart this month. There aint shit for rock artists.
>>
>rock from this time period
>"le wrong generation XD dadrock sucks!"

>rap from same time period
>"oh dude these are the classics"

ayy
>>
>>61795880
I know this is an anecdotal experience but...my dad's been blue collar all his life and he's far more likely to listen to the ones who you just said aren't dadrock. It's really iffy by all definitions.

>>61795922
Rap wasn't around in the 60s anon. Last Poets don't count.
>>
>>61795959
basically anything made before the 90's is called dadrock
>>
>>61794403
Most people here like it (but won't admit it), but no one wants to talk about it since there's nothing new to discuss.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.