[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hip Hop use to be counter culture, now it's a part of pop-culture.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Public.jpg (1 MB, 1990x1329) Image search: [Google]
Public.jpg
1 MB, 1990x1329
Hip Hop use to be counter culture, now it's a part of pop-culture. What went wrong?
>>
It had already stopped being counter culture on the 80's, m8
>>
>>61778294
black people became more prominent in pop-culture
>>
>>61778294
Capitalism. The counter culture is also absorbed into the mainstream given time, that's market forces for you.
>>
File: obanga.png (257 KB, 489x355) Image search: [Google]
obanga.png
257 KB, 489x355
>>61778294
prolly wen a black president was elected
>>
Nothing. That happens to every successful counter-culture.
>>
happens to every counter-culture over time, it gets co opted and becomes omnipresent until a new one pops up. that's just how that shit goes.
>>
>>61778391
Obama really say that? I guess l'll have to listen to some Kendrick Lamar, where do l start?
>>
>>61778391
Imagine being an entertainer and the fucking US president says he prefers someone else over you.
>>
I mean, there was a time when Little Richard was the edgiest thing in rock.
>>
>>61778343

They always have throughout time, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Michael Jackson. It's just hip hop use to be really counter culture, now it's just made out to be a trending topic. There used to be people that hated hip hop and that was okay.
Now it feels like there are several industry plants making hip hop more accessible. It's no longer becoming about controversial and conscience topics, it's just chock full of memes and pop culture references.
Before there were conscious topics like the dark side of drug dealing (Biggie Smalls), and the influence of the mainstream media on the youth. Now it's all about Lean, Culture Vultures, and memes. Something went horribly wrong along the way.
>>
>>61778820

>>
>>61778294
Hip Hop today, like punk, has its parts that are counter culture and parts that are pop culture. It's not just one or the other.
>>
niggaz gotta eat
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.